HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-19-2012, 05:58 PM
  #526
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Thanks for the update. Werenski sounds like a solid bet to go 2nd overall (should Day be granted exceptional status). Shouldn't hurt on how well he played with Belle Tire '96 last year against the likes of McDavid. Ho-Sang, McKeown, etc.
I think so as well, pretty sure Werenski will go #2. When I mentioned Erie above I also mean any team would probably take him at #2. This draft is looking better for me now than it did in September, alot better.


Last edited by mapleleaf979: 12-19-2012 at 06:24 PM.
mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 07:04 PM
  #527
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I think so as well, pretty sure Werenski will go #2. When I mentioned Erie above I also mean any team would probably take him at #2. This draft is looking better for me now than it did in September, alot better.
Last time a high end US Dman came into the OHL draft, ranked in the top 3, was Nick Ebert, and look what has happened to him.

Werenski may not be a shoe in at #2, especially if Petes or Ottawa have that pick?

chewerjones is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 07:09 PM
  #528
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman22 View Post
Teams will take a player in the Top Rounds based on what they see with some projection as to what they may be in a few years. There are players who will go in the first round that have clearly put themeseleves ahead of others, that is why we are talking about them now. We also provide some strenghts and highlite the weakesses of these players i.e Stromes vision vs his foot work. Stephens speed vs. boredom/consistancy, "the Big K" great shot vs defensive play ( still feel he will not be eligible to enter OHL draft ).

Teams drafting in later rounds 3-15 will take a player on projection. These players may end up being better then the Top Picks. Every year Fans and Teams question there selections in the Top Rounds, some happy and some dissapointed.

At the end of the day the players mentioned, most if not all will be first rounders. What they do with them when they are in the organization will matter. eg. Josh Ho-Sang made more turnovers in one shift then the team would make in a game. However Windsor looked at his his strenghts, worked on his weaknesses and he is getting better every game.

Strome has better vision then 70 % of OHLers at this point. Stephens skates better then 70 % at this point. NK has a release better then most and Sean Day could probably play today.
GMs have only 3-4 years to work with players and thus players must be impactful almost immediately.

Also, teams and fans question their first round selections, because they are supposed to be impact players, and should be able to fit into lineup immediately, unless the team is loaded with older aged players, and deep in talent(example- Majors 3 years ago under Cameron).

GMs would love to take best player available, but some times there are politics and games being played by parents, agents and other teams, and thus the GM may not be able to draft BPA.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 07:42 PM
  #529
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Last time a high end US Dman came into the OHL draft, ranked in the top 3, was Nick Ebert, and look what has happened to him.

Werenski may not be a shoe in at #2, especially if Petes or Ottawa have that pick?
U cant paint them all with the same brush. Its not that simple. That would mean your lumping Sean Day into that?(I know he is canadian, but played in the US his whole life).

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 08:49 PM
  #530
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
U cant paint them all with the same brush. Its not that simple. That would mean your lumping Sean Day into that?(I know he is canadian, but played in the US his whole life).

My response was twofold. One, that the dman will excel, and second, and most important, depends on who finishes with 2nd pick.

Werensky may only want to go to US Border cities- Saginaw, Erie, Plymouth, Windsor, and if Petes or Ottawa have 2nd and 3rd picks, then Werenski may slip to 4th or 5th. Not because he isnt a 2nd overall pick, but more for the placement of the draft picks.

IMO, if Korostolev is granted eligibility, I believe he shoud be first pick overall, even over DAY. As I said, I would rather take a Stamkos or Hall, over a Ryan Murphy, for their 3-4 years in the OHL.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 06:11 PM
  #531
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
IMO, if Korostolev is granted eligibility, I believe he shoud be first pick overall, even over DAY. As I said, I would rather take a Stamkos or Hall, over a Ryan Murphy, for their 3-4 years in the OHL.
U saw Sean Day play live correct? Im actually baffled u think anyone is even close to him. Nothing against Ryan Murphy but that comparison is selling Sean Day short. I think u could make the arguement that Sean Day is better than Ryan Murphy right now. Throw age out the window, just on-ice skills. Right now, I believe Day at the U20 WJC he would do better than Murphy. Day already has NHL speed @ 14. His speed wouldnt matter if his hands couldnt keep up, but they can. Cheers.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 08:22 PM
  #532
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
U saw Sean Day play live correct? Im actually baffled u think anyone is even close to him. Nothing against Ryan Murphy but that comparison is selling Sean Day short. I think u could make the arguement that Sean Day is better than Ryan Murphy right now. Throw age out the window, just on-ice skills. Right now, I believe Day at the U20 WJC he would do better than Murphy. Day already has NHL speed @ 14. His speed wouldnt matter if his hands couldnt keep up, but they can. Cheers.
If you recall, Ryan Murphy was clearly the best player in MM. He was the most offensive, skilled player in the loop, and he was a defenceman. Catenacci and Quine went ahead of him in the draft, only because of politics, and tricks, but MURPH was clearly a cant miss star. He had speed, skill (2nd to none) and vision.

Sean Day is undoubtedly the best skater I have seen , especially as a 14 year old, and has size, but that doesnt mean he is a cant miss. Yes he will be a well sought after prospect as is McDavid, but remember he is still a young dman entering possibly the OHL.

Dmen in the OHL develop later than forwards, and rookie dmen can get exposed alot easier than forwards in the OHL. You can protect rookie forwards and gently play them in key situations. But for dmen, it is not as easy for a coach to protect and develop. Just look at Middleton in OS. He was a high draft pick, with size and so far it hasnt worked out for him. And he is on a top contender.

Josh Ho Sang was years ahead of his age grup in respect to skating and skill set, but time has caught up to him. He is still an exceptional player, but the gap has closed.

JMO

chewerjones is offline  
Old
12-21-2012, 11:59 AM
  #533
Luvtowatch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
If you recall, Ryan Murphy was clearly the best player in MM. He was the most offensive, skilled player in the loop, and he was a defenceman. Catenacci and Quine went ahead of him in the draft, only because of politics, and tricks, but MURPH was clearly a cant miss star. He had speed, skill (2nd to none) and vision.

Sean Day is undoubtedly the best skater I have seen , especially as a 14 year old, and has size, but that doesnt mean he is a cant miss. Yes he will be a well sought after prospect as is McDavid, but remember he is still a young dman entering possibly the OHL.

Dmen in the OHL develop later than forwards, and rookie dmen can get exposed alot easier than forwards in the OHL. You can protect rookie forwards and gently play them in key situations. But for dmen, it is not as easy for a coach to protect and develop. Just look at Middleton in OS. He was a high draft pick, with size and so far it hasnt worked out for him. And he is on a top contender.

Josh Ho Sang was years ahead of his age grup in respect to skating and skill set, but time has caught up to him. He is still an exceptional player, but the gap has closed.

JMO
There was a good case for Cat in the draft of 93's. The consensus back then was Cat or Murph #1. Quine was a joke at #2. Strome should have gone higher, I thought #3 back then, ahead of Jenner, Sefton, Puempel + Lessio. I wouldn't have taken Quine in the top 10.

Luvtowatch is offline  
Old
12-21-2012, 04:08 PM
  #534
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
There was a good case for Cat in the draft of 93's. The consensus back then was Cat or Murph #1. Quine was a joke at #2. Strome should have gone higher, I thought #3 back then, ahead of Jenner, Sefton, Puempel + Lessio. I wouldn't have taken Quine in the top 10.
I was never a fan of Quine that year, even though he broke his leg. Biggs was a more productive player that year on the Jr. Cdns.

Catenacci was also injured most of the year, and he "mucked the bed" in the OHL cup. The whole YSE team, except for Murphy folded, and were embarrassed 9-1 in the Semis against Marlies.

Murphy was no question the #1 pick that year, and Catenacci and Quine went 1 and 2 because of politics and tricks, bottom line.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 01:05 AM
  #535
doogie24
Registered User
 
doogie24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
Friday's schedule is looking pretty good for a day trip to Toronto. Gonna check out these games.

12:30 Elgin v Central Ontario
2:20 Quinte v Oakville
2:35 London Gold v Soo
4:00 Grey Bruce v Marlboros
5:25 Jr Canadiens v Kitchener
6:50 Red Wings v Elgin

Would appreciate any names to watch from the teams that aren't mentioned as much in this thread!

doogie24 is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 07:47 AM
  #536
JL17
Registered User
 
JL17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,881
vCash: 500
I was waiting to play my game Wednesday night when I watched a good chunk of the London Gold AAA practice... one kid grabbed my attention right off the get go. I don't know his name but he's a D-man and with greats skills and is a flawless skater. Seems to be the offensive D-man but it's only practice... .can I get a possible name???

Thanks.

JL17 is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 09:37 AM
  #537
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
I was waiting to play my game Wednesday night when I watched a good chunk of the London Gold AAA practice... one kid grabbed my attention right off the get go. I don't know his name but he's a D-man and with greats skills and is a flawless skater. Seems to be the offensive D-man but it's only practice... .can I get a possible name???

Thanks.
Mitchell Vande Sompel

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 09:49 AM
  #538
doogie24
Registered User
 
doogie24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Mitchell Vande Sompel
Vande Sompel had been out with a rib injury as recently as last week. Could have been him or Colton White.

doogie24 is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 10:03 AM
  #539
JL17
Registered User
 
JL17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,881
vCash: 500
Could have been either but that kid made everything look easy in practice especially the skating drills which he left whomever he was up against in the dust. Where is he ranked in the up coming draft??

After pulling up their pics it looks more like Vande Sompel.

JL17 is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 10:19 AM
  #540
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
Could have been either but that kid made everything look easy in practice especially the skating drills which he left whomever he was up against in the dust. Where is he ranked in the up coming draft??

After pulling up their pics it looks more like Vande Sompel.
Its still early, things can change but right now Id say mid to late First round, will not be there past the #30 pick.


Last edited by mapleleaf979: 12-23-2012 at 10:24 AM.
mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 10:26 AM
  #541
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
I was waiting to play my game Wednesday night when I watched a good chunk of the London Gold AAA practice... one kid grabbed my attention right off the get go. I don't know his name but he's a D-man and with greats skills and is a flawless skater. Seems to be the offensive D-man but it's only practice... .can I get a possible name???

Thanks.
White?

chewerjones is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 11:15 AM
  #542
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie24 View Post
Friday's schedule is looking pretty good for a day trip to Toronto. Gonna check out these games.

12:30 Elgin v Central Ontario
2:20 Quinte v Oakville
2:35 London Gold v Soo
4:00 Grey Bruce v Marlboros
5:25 Jr Canadiens v Kitchener
6:50 Red Wings v Elgin

Would appreciate any names to watch from the teams that aren't mentioned as much in this thread!
Oakville:
(G) Brendan McGlynn
(F)Sean Kohler, Brett Mckenzie, Jesse Barwell
(D) Capobianco, Henley, M.Spencer, Petawabano

Jr Canadiens:
(f) Lawrence, Ngan, Mucci, Sharipov
(D) Zach Wilkie, TJ fergus, Pearlman

Marlboros:
(G)Richardson
(f) Ryan hunt, Mitchell Webb, Noah Robinson
(d) Maclean

Soo Thunder:
(G) Culina
(F) Sicoly, Speers, Caruso, Mcphail

Red Wings:
(G) Helvig
(D) Saban, Markovich
(f) McCully, Avidan, Vitro

Grey Bruce:
(G) Tyler Fassl
(D) Mcfadden,
(F) Skinner

Central Ontario:
(D)Baker
(F)Clark, BRicknell

Quinte:
(F) Brodie Butt

Kitchener:
(D) Black
(F)Nay,Gaboury

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 01:48 PM
  #543
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,616
vCash: 500
Who do u guys like for the Marlie Classic Tourney? Id say 5-6 teams have a good chance of winning if they put it all together. I like this tourney more than last year, it was a foregone conclusion that the Marlboros or Rebels would make the final even before the tourney started and a good chance they would face each other(Vaughn spoiled that in the semi's). These 97's have grown on me, this draft is deeper than it appeared initially.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 06:02 PM
  #544
NHL Fanatic
Registered User
 
NHL Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,634
vCash: 500
Christian Schneider is out for the rest of the season

NHL Fanatic is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 06:11 PM
  #545
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Christian Schneider is out for the rest of the season
What happened?

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 08:06 PM
  #546
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Who do u guys like for the Marlie Classic Tourney? Id say 5-6 teams have a good chance of winning if they put it all together. I like this tourney more than last year, it was a foregone conclusion that the Marlboros or Rebels would make the final even before the tourney started and a good chance they would face each other(Vaughn spoiled that in the semi's). These 97's have grown on me, this draft is deeper than it appeared initially.
As usual, the Marlies have tilted the divisions and schedule so that they get the easier path, and the other threats have to work like donkeys to make it to the playoff round, and may be all tired and battered.

I would like to see Elgin and Oakville in the finals.

Look for a team like Barrie to surprise.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
12-24-2012, 07:51 AM
  #547
wingman22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
As usual, the Marlies have tilted the divisions and schedule so that they get the easier path, and the other threats have to work like donkeys to make it to the playoff round, and may be all tired and battered.

I would like to see Elgin and Oakville in the finals.

Look for a team like Barrie to surprise.
Don't agree with you. Marlies should have two tough games in their division. Then they will have to play Elgin. If the division were lopsided like most host teams Elgin would be in with Oakville. Chewer, you not a big Marllboro fan ?

wingman22 is offline  
Old
12-24-2012, 10:45 AM
  #548
checkmate3
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman22 View Post
Don't agree with you. Marlies should have two tough games in their division. Then they will have to play Elgin. If the division were lopsided like most host teams Elgin would be in with Oakville. Chewer, you not a big Marllboro fan ?
Have to agree with Chewer. Think Oakville will actually surprise and have the most attention. That team is about due for a big championship win and they're pretty deep with talent. Oakville and Elgin in a championship would be a standing room only compete!

checkmate3 is offline  
Old
12-24-2012, 12:35 PM
  #549
skating101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate3 View Post
Have to agree with Chewer. Think Oakville will actually surprise and have the most attention. That team is about due for a big championship win and they're pretty deep with talent. Oakville and Elgin in a championship would be a standing room only compete!
Watched Oakville and Grey Bruce making that six Oakville games and have yet to witness any of the propaganda hype this team receives. Will not be surprised if YSE comes out of the Frank Bonnello conference.

Elgin takes this one only team that can possibly spoil Elgin's chances are the Marlies.

skating101 is offline  
Old
12-24-2012, 01:46 PM
  #550
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman22 View Post
Don't agree with you. Marlies should have two tough games in their division. Then they will have to play Elgin. If the division were lopsided like most host teams Elgin would be in with Oakville. Chewer, you not a big Marllboro fan ?
Huge hockey fan.

Usually organization that hosts tourny always sets it up best for their teams. Not me talking, but just reality.

This year the Marlies were not considered favourites, and I hope they win it all this year, because I like the underdog, and sometimes change.

This year, there are 4-5 teams that can hold down the top spot in OHL Showcase Rankings.

chewerjones is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.