HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Plekanec, Eller & DD

Old
12-19-2012, 06:54 PM
CanadienShark

vCash: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnathon View Post
Is this a joke?
I think so

CanadienShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 07:32 PM
lamp9post

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
i dont want to show all the stats against because i already sound like a broken disk and many other fans saw all that before. But i can give you a link.

I can tell you, if we take into account all teams and all games played in the past 2 seasons, there is indeed a negative correlation between a team success and how much % of their budget they invest in goalie.
Please do give me a link. I'd be interested to read more about this.

We'll see. Off the top of my head, the worst teams in the league in recent years include Toronto, Columbus, Edmonton, and NYI. Considering DiPietro is injured, all of these teams have spent very little on goaltending and it still remains a big weakness for all of these teams. Meanwhile the conference champions Vancouver and New York spent $6.7mil and $6.875mil respectively on their starters.

You can't just pluck a Mike Smith and hope he becomes an all star. Those situations are the exception rather than the norm, and we have yet to see if he can repeat his performance.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp9post View Post

We'll see. Off the top of my head, the worst teams in the league in recent years include Toronto, Columbus, Edmonton, and NYI. Considering DiPietro is injured, all of these teams have spent very little on goaltending and it still remains a big weakness for all of these teams. Meanwhile the conference champions Vancouver and New York spent $6.7mil and $6.875mil respectively on their starters.

You can't just pluck a Mike Smith and hope he becomes an all star. Those situations are the exception rather than the norm, and we have yet to see if he can repeat his performance.
Interesting how you didn't mention Florida, who sucked until last year when they had Jose Theodore, despite having Tomas Vokoun prior to that.

All of these teams have had horrible defenses in the years they sucked.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
How is it even an argument that an NHL team doesn't need a good goalie? Honestly.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 02:17 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnathon View Post
Is this a joke?
To be precise, its an inside joke.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 02:29 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp9post View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Interesting how you didn't mention Florida, who sucked until last year when they had Jose Theodore, despite having Tomas Vokoun prior to that.

All of these teams have had horrible defenses in the years they sucked.
Also in the past 2 years, NYI is among the top 10 teams who spends the most of their Budget on goalies (Dipietro at 4 500 000$). Agree they got unlucky with Dipietro, but it was still a consequence of their "gambit" to give that much to a goalie.

And Toronto with Giguere at 6 000 000$ was among the teams paying a lot for their goalies prior this year. (and i would not call paying Toskala 4 000 000$ "spending very little on goalie") Same deal with Edmonton with Khalibulin at 3 750 000$ They are not paying a lot, but not "spending very little" too.

The teams who spend the least % of their budget on goalie last year?

1 - WAS - 15th 92pts - playoff second round
2 - LAK - 13th 95pts - Stanley CUP
3 - FLA - 14th 94pts - Playoff 1st round
4 - TOR - 26th 80pts
5 - DET - 08th 102pts - Playoff 1st round
6 - CHI - 10th 101pts - Playoff 1st round
7 - PHX - 11th 97pts - Playoff Semi Final

Note to Lampost... i sent you more info in a private msg,

Last edited by palindrom: 12-20-2012 at 03:31 AM.
Old
12-20-2012, 02:45 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
How is it even an argument that an NHL team doesn't need a good goalie? Honestly.
This is not the argument.

The argument is where a team should spend the most of their budget.
on forwards, defensemen or goalies?

Since there is a cap hit and some teams have a limited budget, then teams must make compromise, spending more at one position mean less $ available to spend at another.

Its exactly the kind of compromise team like Florida, Philadelphia and Phoenix faced summer 2011.

And in the past 2 years, teams who spend the least on goalies had in average more success than team who spend the most.

its as simple as that. Maybe we could make a new thread to talk about this.

We are off topic in this thread (mainly by my fault). so we should continue this discussion privately, or on another thread.

Last edited by palindrom: 12-20-2012 at 03:31 AM.
Old
12-20-2012, 06:50 PM
CharlesHabsFan

Why did this subject switch to goalies for a whole page and a half when it was actually supposed to be about Montreal's centers ?

Back on track, in the future, it would be most likely that Plekanec or Desharnais would be traded with the upcoming Galchenyuk, but that might not be before another year.

While Desharnais plays a major role in the 1st line's success with the good chemistry he has with Pacioretty, I'd surely give Desharnais another shot next year to show it wasn't a fluke.

Although Plekanec is an asset at the moment and we can't afford to let him go yet, I believe Eller is bound to become an upgrade of Plekanec by being as good in two-way plays, adding a physical aspect that Plekanec doesn't have.

In that regards, I'd believe that most likely Plekanec would be the one to set place for Galchenyuk.

Saad + Teravainen + Johns for Plekanec ? Why not, that seems to be a fair deal. I just wouldn't do it right away.

Let's wait the next training camp to see where Galchenyuk is at in his progression and include someone like Gallagher in the equation. That might form us a young competitive 3rd line... If you add Teravainen, we might have quite a skilled line ahead.

CharlesHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 07:01 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesHabsFan View Post
Why did this subject switch to goalies for a whole page and a half when it was actually supposed to be about Montreal's centers ?

Back on track, in the future, it would be most likely that Plekanec or Desharnais would be traded with the upcoming Galchenyuk, but that might not be before another year.

While Desharnais plays a major role in the 1st line's success with the good chemistry he has with Pacioretty, I'd surely give Desharnais another shot next year to show it wasn't a fluke.

Although Plekanec is an asset at the moment and we can't afford to let him go yet, I believe Eller is bound to become an upgrade of Plekanec by being as good in two-way plays, adding a physical aspect that Plekanec doesn't have.

In that regards, I'd believe that most likely Plekanec would be the one to set place for Galchenyuk.

Saad + Teravainen + Johns for Plekanec ? Why not, that seems to be a fair deal. I just wouldn't do it right away.

Let's wait the next training camp to see where Galchenyuk is at in his progression and include someone like Gallagher in the equation. That might form us a young competitive 3rd line... If you add Teravainen, we might have quite a skilled line ahead.
I can't see Chicago offer up 3 of their best prospects and not give up any salary. Also, I don't see TT being as good a fit in MTL as he would be in CHI, we have plenty of small talented fwds and CHI has enough grit with talent to insulate his one real weakness (size)

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 11:30 PM
CharlesHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
I can't see Chicago offer up 3 of their best prospects and not give up any salary. Also, I don't see TT being as good a fit in MTL as he would be in CHI, we have plenty of small talented fwds and CHI has enough grit with talent to insulate his one real weakness (size)
Probably they wouldn't give the three of them, it was something proposed on page 1 of this thread and I wanted to give it a little more talk.

Chicago would definitely use Plekanec on their second line with Sharp and Hossa, plus we add Bergevin's good relationship with the team, it would just seem logical for Plekanec to be dealt to the Hawks.

It just seems like we can't get around the good elements to put in that trade.

CharlesHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 12:12 AM
glenbuis

I know all these trade talks are all kinda like what-ifs but i thought when plekanac signed his 6 yr 30 million dollar contract that it included a no - trade clause. Can anyone confirm that he does or doesn't.

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 05:00 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbuis View Post
I know all these trade talks are all kinda like what-ifs but i thought when plekanac signed his 6 yr 30 million dollar contract that it included a no - trade clause. Can anyone confirm that he does or doesn't.
He does.

All the talks about trading him are because he is our only 'expandable' player that has a lot of value.

I sincerely hope he retires in Montreal tbh

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 02:40 PM
glenbuis

I know Desharnais has accoplished a lot but if plekanac was between cole and patches all year his point total would be the same and he brings a lot more with penalty killing and all. Eller should be given only another year or two as well to bring it. Most nites pleks is our best player. I guess if were going for a complete rebuild and we wanna gather up some first rounders for this strong draft ( lottery ), but unless were going for a complete rebuild i'd hate to see pleks go.

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesHabsFan View Post
Probably they wouldn't give the three of them, it was something proposed on page 1 of this thread and I wanted to give it a little more talk.

Chicago would definitely use Plekanec on their second line with Sharp and Hossa, plus we add Bergevin's good relationship with the team, it would just seem logical for Plekanec to be dealt to the Hawks.

It just seems like we can't get around the good elements to put in that trade.
to be clear up front, I don't think trading Plekanec is a great idea, but if he were to be moved hopefully it would be something that improves the team long term.

maybe something around (as a start point)
Plekanec + Weber
for
Hjalmarsson + Saad + McNeill

it gives salary back to Montreal

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHaboholique View Post
With Galchenyuk coming into his own quite well and quite possibly becoming something pretty special in the NHL(If he chooses to play centre as opposed to the wing on which he currently resides), Montreal day in and day out are faced with... Who leaves, and what do each of these individuals bring home if traded out of the franchise?
I think Habs should keep Plekanec, he would make awesome 3rd line center

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote