HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

MLB Off-Season Thread | Jays Acquire Dickey From Mets

Old
12-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Hammer79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Dickey's last stint in the AL he had an era of 4.62, and his last stint as a starter in the AL he had an era above 5. Admittedly I don't know enough about Dickey's career progression to really say for certain that he will be a flop, but I'm not as confident as I would be if we re-acquired Halladay or another long-time established ace. Still though, even if he regresses to a 3.50era 1.20whip 150k pitcher he is still a solid number 2/3 pitcher and a major major upgrade on what we had last season.
He didn't switch to being a knuckleball pitcher until 2007, and obviously it took him time to perfect. I have confidence that he'll do just fine for the Jays. He had good numbers with an otherwise mediocre Mets team.

Hammer79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 09:22 PM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
This isn't poetry. You don't need a line break every sentence. Keep it in on paragraph so your posts aren't keeping me from scrolling down forever...you think you can help me out here bud?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefingers View Post

It's true. Sorry, nameless1, but I've been tempted many, many times to say this to you. Why do you break up every single line that you write?
It has something to do with symmetry. For some strange reason, I think it looks better. It is easier for me to read too, because I find it hard to read in chunks.

I didn't know it was that annoying. The Kassian Train's post looked very angry. He needs a hug.

That poetry line got me laughing, because a lot of people say that I talk in iambic pentameter and I space my work like a poem. However, I myself hate poetry, and nobody ever liked any poems I have written.

nameless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 09:30 PM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
He didn't switch to being a knuckleball pitcher until 2007, and obviously it took him time to perfect. I have confidence that he'll do just fine for the Jays. He had good numbers with an otherwise mediocre Mets team.
I am more worried about the stats against the AL East, who he will see alot next year. The Yankees are still the Yankees, and the Red Sox should be a lot better this year (I blame Valentine).

He did very well last year (3-0, 1.87), and he had been good against AL East since 2010 (something like 8-1 and a mid 2 ERA), so maybe he really perfected the knuckleball and there is nothing to worry about.

There is still 162 games to play. We will know by then.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post
It has something to do with symmetry. For some strange reason, I think it looks better. It is easier for me to read too, because I find it hard to read in chunks.
I found it neat and easy to read. I liked it.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 12:05 AM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveorama View Post
Just
Because
Dude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Thanks for the support guys.
I really prefer to write this way, but I will keep my posts shorter now.

Old
12-19-2012, 12:30 AM
PoolChamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Dickey's last stint in the AL he had an era of 4.62, and his last stint as a starter in the AL he had an era above 5. Admittedly I don't know enough about Dickey's career progression to really say for certain that he will be a flop, but I'm not as confident as I would be if we re-acquired Halladay or another long-time established ace. Still though, even if he regresses to a 3.50era 1.20whip 150k pitcher he is still a solid number 2/3 pitcher and a major major upgrade on what we had last season.
Dickey didnt have an unhittable knuckleball back then. He is not the same pitcher at all. if you look at his last 3 seasons he appears to still be improving as he masters the pitch.

His numbers might take a dip playing in the AL but his numbers indoors are godlike so playing in the dome might cancel that out. Also, the AL has not seen much of him (improved version) so there is a chance he just completely baffles hitters until they get use to his knuckleball.

PoolChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 12:45 AM
Treefingers

Quote:

I didn't know it was that annoying. The Kassian Train's post looked very angry. He needs a hug.

That poetry line got me laughing, because a lot of people say that I talk in iambic pentameter and I space my work like a poem. However, I myself hate poetry, and nobody ever liked any poems I have written.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Quote:
Heh. It's better than writing in block paragraphs, but it still looks weird to me. I don't care to the point that you should stop posting like that though; I've always just wondered why you do it since it really does look like you're trying to turn your posts into poems or something.

Treefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 03:32 AM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:
Heh. It's better than writing in block paragraphs, but it still looks weird to me. I don't care to the point that you should stop posting like that though; I've always just wondered why you do it since it really does look like you're trying to turn your posts into poems or something.
Unfortunately, none of my posts rhyme.
Someone here pointed it out to me before.
Must try harder here.

Old
12-19-2012, 03:50 AM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

Quote:
I only find it difficult to read in longer posts anyhow. But generally it's really nice and easy on the eyes.

Old
12-19-2012, 03:53 AM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

Quote:
It's just the way he does it.
I find it pretty nice.
I can not duplicate it.
I suck at this.

Seriously though, that style of posting is really unique and I find it like a breath of fresh air. It might be the style of posting, but I can find nameless really relatable. Either way, might I say nameless1 is one of the posters I really respect and will listen to his/her opinion on here.

Old
12-19-2012, 01:18 PM
Treefingers

Quote:
Unfortunately, none of my posts rhyme.
Someone here pointed it out to me before.
Must try harder here.
Poems don't have to rhyme!

Anyway, on topic, good move for the Jays; I definitely have some high hopes for them next season! Hopefully they won't disappoint.

Treefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!

vCash: 50
Anthopoulous has made the right move, he saw that this year was the year to push for a championship since the Yanks and the Red Sox are fairly average this season, it's astonishing to think that the Orioles could be our stiffest competition in the AL East.

Twitter | HFBoards Contact | Youtube | Instagram| Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 05:55 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Anthopoulous has made the right move, he saw that this year was the year to push for a championship since the Yanks and the Red Sox are fairly average this season, it's astonishing to think that the Orioles could be our stiffest competition in the AL East.
It's also great timing for the Blue Jays. Whether it's by accident or not, with the lockout going they've been able to grab and keep the headlines when they're usually irrelevant. This investment is going to pay back big time imo.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Steveorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
It's also great timing for the Blue Jays. Whether it's by accident or not, with the lockout going they've been able to grab and keep the headlines when they're usually irrelevant. This investment is going to pay back big time imo.
This is a very underrated point.
Beeston and AA know that the lockout has produced more media coverage for baseball in this hockey market.
Shrewd business move...guarantee attendance at Rogers will spike considerably this season.

Steveorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:21 PM
vancityluongo
weeoo

Trading d'Arnaud really sucks, but if Dickey pushes them into a playoff spot then it'll be worth it.

Still not convinced the Jays are World Series material. If everyone bounces back, and plays to full potential, then possibly. Don't like/buy how there are such high odds on the team though; every year the team that makes the biggest, boldest moves is dubbed to be favourites, in every sport. Rarely does it pan out. I think expectations should be low for the Jays, because otherwise it'll just result in a lot of disappointment and anger from everyone in Toronto desperate for a winning team.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
Trading d'Arnaud really sucks, but if Dickey pushes them into a playoff spot then it'll be worth it.

Still not convinced the Jays are World Series material. If everyone bounces back, and plays to full potential, then possibly. Don't like/buy how there are such high odds on the team though; every year the team that makes the biggest, boldest moves is dubbed to be favourites, in every sport. Rarely does it pan out. I think expectations should be low for the Jays, because otherwise it'll just result in a lot of disappointment and anger from everyone in Toronto desperate for a winning team.
Big moves have panned out before for the Blue Jays, 92-93 was fueled by good trades, just not recently. Just look at the competition in the AL; Rangers lost Young and Hamilton which will affect their offense, Detroit went to the World Series but weren't that dominate all season and had a power outage against the Giants, Yankees lose a declining A-Rod for a majority of next season due to injury, Boston were worse than the Jays last year and haven't made a splash other than changing their manager, Baltimore is just becoming competitive again and can be caught. The Blue Jays should be the favorite to rep the AL in the world series.

Hammer79 is online now   Reply With Quote