Tracking the Locked Out Jets

Old
12-19-2012, 06:07 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Am surprised that some have chosen to pick this situation as an opportunity to express moral outrage. Given the benefit of age and hindsight, I'm quite sure that if anyone had granted me with tens of millions of dollars at Kane's age that I would by now have an entire network of websites featuring movies of me riding an elephant down Madison Avenue in New York, naked, and while surrounded by an assortment of armed guards and busty strippers. Kane's behavior in comparison has proven quite tame.
If I was 20 and had millions (or soon to be)
I would probably be dead

So flashing a couple of fat stacks on a vegas roof top is pretty tame

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 06:41 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
30 goals is a lot for a 20 year old.

Here is a list of everyone that has done it since 1990.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...order_by=goals

If that isn't an elite group, I don't know what is.
Pfftt! Buncha scrubs.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 06:46 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
I would probably be dead

I'm right with you. I was an absolute idiot when I was 20. Still am, though I'm now a wise idiot, if that's possible.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 09:10 PM
wilty00

vCash: 1004
I think people are missing the point here even though it's been pointed out time and time again.

I really doubt A) that anyone cares how much Evander makes B) that he's taking pictures of himself doing things like this. It's the fact that the first thing he thought of doing after taking it was sharing it through a global medium full of people who aren't even remotely in the same situation as he is and many who's livelihoods are being directly affected by the reason he's able to bum around in Vegas.

I didn't even bother reading through the last 2-3 pages, but someone struck it right on the head a little earlier on than that. It's just dumbfounding to me that he sat there and thought "oh man I need to go throw this on twitter" without considering that there might be consequences.

wilty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 09:33 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilty00 View Post
I think people are missing the point here even though it's been pointed out time and time again.

I really doubt A) that anyone cares how much Evander makes B) that he's taking pictures of himself doing things like this. It's the fact that the first thing he thought of doing after taking it was sharing it through a global medium full of people who aren't even remotely in the same situation as he is and many who's livelihoods are being directly affected by the reason he's able to bum around in Vegas.

I didn't even bother reading through the last 2-3 pages, but someone struck it right on the head a little earlier on than that. It's just dumbfounding to me that he sat there and thought "oh man I need to go throw this on twitter" without considering that there might be consequences.
People often use twitter it seems to carry on stream of consciousness conversations. Stream of consciousness writing is essentially an unedited, unstructured, and largely uninterrupted form of communication. In certain cases twitter additionally serves as a platform for dumb athletes to say dumb stuff without considering the consequences. I'm thinking that you are over-weighting the meaning of the message and especially when considering its method of conveyance.

In other words, it was basically an impromptu and off-the-cuff remark; millions and millions are made daily around the globe and many miss their mark. Not a big deal in the grand scheme, in my own view.

Last edited by Gump Hasek: 12-19-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 10:19 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

Using a stack of cash as a telephone should become the new "tebowing" or "planking".

I'm gonna go dig up my 10 year stack of crappy tire money worth about $3 and see if I can get a hold of Kane.

Anybody know if players are eligible to collect EI?

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 10:41 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Kane is such a tool, but a good hockey player and he is a Jet....so i dont really care

bigplay41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Wait guys! It was all just a big misunderstanding!!!!

12-19-2012, 10:47 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post
No doubt. A while back, I created myself in NHL 11 and scored 33 goals. If I can do it these studs should be potting a cool 40 per season. Was gonna send a screenshot to Chevy to see if I could get a walk-on but this stupid labour dispute comes up...
Another casualty of the lockout.

...a damn shame.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:01 PM
scelaton

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
I don't care about the picture. But as a Jet fan I care that Kane has shown once again that he is dumb. We just made a 6 year investment in a player who is dumb. Almost every one else would know this picture would be jumped on from all angles. But some how he is one of the very few would would post it. We signed an idiot for 6 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Good assessment, some of the guys defending Kane's latest attention seeking ploy fail to realize that most hockey players would never do that, it's about class and character. Don't think you would ever see guys like Ladd, Little, Bogo or even Scheff pulling crap like Kane.
Yep-see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post

What I do not get, what made me extremely pissed off and caused me to speak out was the things people were saying about him. They were demonizing him, questioning his quality as a friggin human being, calling him names.
What these people were doing (media types included) was intentionally saying things that were hurtful and damaging. Tell me who is right, here? Kane = no intent to hurt or offend, or others = malicious and bitter.

Kane may not have the typical, polite, yessir nosir attitude that we come to expect from Canadian hockey players but ffs he is a Jet and he re-signed HERE. There are far, far worse athletes out there. Drug doing, wife beating, dog fighting losers.
For sure there are far worse out there. But Kane is a star now in the social media age, and held to a higher standard. The crap he is enduring now is not necessarily nice or fair but is completely predictable. You'd think he'd have figured it out by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Given the benefit of age and hindsight, I'm quite sure that if anyone had granted me with tens of millions of dollars at Kane's age that I would by now have an entire network of websites featuring movies of me riding... down Madison Avenue in New York, naked and while surrounded by.... busty strippers
Would you do it now for $100...because I'd be willing to take up a collection...

Here's the thing: Kane is just a dumb-ass 20 year old who does stupid things and is garnering lots of negative attention because there's no other news. No big deal, except...
The Jets organization represents a lot more to this community than just hockey. Mark Chipman struggled mightily before agreeing to the Jets name, because he wanted it to stand for something meaningful. He found a way to keep the name and make it honourable at the same time. We may not win a Cup for a few years, but, in the meantime, the organization stands for values that can make us proud--honesty, decency, discipline, hard work. Sounds corny but I buy into it.
The players get paid millions to play great hockey AND to stand for those values. They are privileged beyond belief, role models for our kids, ambassadors for the city and the faster they learn that the better.

Last edited by scelaton: 12-19-2012 at 11:22 PM.
scelaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 05:55 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Who says that money is real, or that he owns it? What if one of us did the same thing, would.it even get a negative reaction from people we know?

I saw those pics (there's more than one) yesterday and thought it was obviously some sort of inside joke. After reading the wfp article now I think its funny and even a clever shout out to someone he obviously idolizes.

Last edited by allan5oh: 12-20-2012 at 05:56 AM. Reason: grindphone edit
allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 06:43 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

north america is hilarious sometimes

Kane is dumb because of that pic? I don't think so. Actually, I think that he just likes to cause a scene now and then. And I'm fine with that. Since being drafted, he always did this.

I really couldnt care less about pics like that.

GermanJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 06:50 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Man, after reading all of the WPG Sun's "coverage" of the controversy, I propose that we refer to this as 12 Classless Evanders.

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 07:56 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
Here's the thing: Kane is just a dumb-ass 20 year old who does stupid things and is garnering lots of negative attention because there's no other news. No big deal, except...
The Jets organization represents a lot more to this community than just hockey. Mark Chipman struggled mightily before agreeing to the Jets name, because he wanted it to stand for something meaningful. He found a way to keep the name and make it honourable at the same time. We may not win a Cup for a few years, but, in the meantime, the organization stands for values that can make us proud--honesty, decency, discipline, hard work. Sounds corny but I buy into it.
The players get paid millions to play great hockey AND to stand for those values. They are privileged beyond belief, role models for our kids, ambassadors for the city and the faster they learn that the better.
He doesn't represent the Jets right now; they locked him out and don't pay him at current.

If Evander Kane is a role model for your children then perhaps you have a bigger problem than just Evander Kane?

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 09:14 AM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
north america is hilarious sometimes

Kane is dumb because of that pic? I don't think so. Actually, I think that he just likes to cause a scene now and then. And I'm fine with that. Since being drafted, he always did this.

I really couldnt care less about pics like that.
You are lucky to have no starving, unemployed, homeless, and diseased in your utopian world outside of north america I guess.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
I would probably be dead

No kidding.

If 21 year old Grind was in Kanes situation... i'd have been found dead or run out of town long ago.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Wait guys! It was all just a big misunderstanding!!!!

Lol, this is too funny!

Does anyone have a copy of the pic with Claude Noel's head photo-shopped on Kane? Jay Onrait mentioned it last night on TSN while they covered this "story" and said it was hilarious. If so, please post here for a good laugh.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
You are lucky to have no starving, unemployed, homeless, and diseased in your utopian world outside of north america I guess.
I'm guessing he was referring to the hypocrisy of a money-obsessed culture that gets upset when a guy shows his money off, and not directly attacking North America.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Huffer

Not to go too far off track, but I found this part of lawless's article much more interesting (and important in terms of the hockey side):

"They also point to a trend. Kane isn't very coachable. On or off the ice. He's a talent. But he's also a problem -- there's no disputing that.

Teammates have tried to reach him on certain subjects. He doesn't listen. If he wants to bring his girlfriend along on the road, he does so. Veterans have tried to hammer home that road games are business trips. Focus should be on the work. Kane does what he wants when he wants. He's a teammate but not yet a good one."

Was Lawless just waiting for an opportunity to break some of these things out?

Not coachable on and off the ice
Doesn't listen to teammates
Brings a girlfriend on the road and doesn't treat the road games seriously enough
Not a good teammate

Now granted Lawless could be 100% wrong or 100% right, or somewhere in between in his comments above. IMO though, those two paragraphs, and what they imply are much more important to me than any dialog over the twitter picture.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Oh look, Lawless has gone back to his "troll journalist" mode. For a little while there, he was starting to write like a legit sportswriter.

Kane might be a knucklehead, in fact I would replace 'might' with 'probably is' at this point. But the idea that he's going to punch his ticket out of Winnipeg is ridiculous and completely reactionary.

All I've taken from this "incident" (if you can even call it that) is:

1) You have to be extremely careful about what you post to Twitter, as it's a terrible medium for conveying context

2) 21 year old millionaires will do stupid ****

In other news, water is wet.

PS. Hopefully Kane has hit the gym! Dude is starting to look a little chubby, bit of a double chin going on there.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
Honestly, the Jets wouldn't have extended a 6 year offer to Kane if they didn't think he was going to grow out of this. Yes, he seems to act like a tool sometimes, more than I'd like to hear about, but I think he's surrounded by a pretty good leadership group and he's too good to have something like this hold him back.

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 12:37 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Oh look, Lawless has gone back to his "troll journalist" mode. For a little while there, he was starting to write like a legit sportswriter.
Did you miss the Hainsey article?

I just nominated him for the worst column of the year award at our Toronto affiliate.

Quote:
You guys have it easy. At least you have options...
In Winnipeg we have Gary Lawless. He our #1 sports guy on both the radio and in the papers. He is the most connected media entity and be breaks Jets news before anyone else in out city, but he also writes this kind of stuff.

Evander Kane is uncoachable and will not finish his 6 year contract in Winnipeg:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...184226401.html

Ron Hainsey is a soft hockey player, a marginal 5 / 6 defender and his NHL career is done (even though he was a decent #4 defender last year and we don’t have a replacement):
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...182780001.html

Evander Kane should sign the contract that the Jets offered him (Lawless was the only one reporting the original offer) or else the offer will get smaller. In reality, it got bigger.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...164550766.html

Alexander Burmistrov is a coaches nightmare and he doesn’t belong in the NHL (even though he was our best penalty killer and every single coach rant and raves about Burmi’s work ethic and everybody calls him a rink rat):
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...149618985.html

Not to mention Gary took E Kane “rumors” (that few had heard of) public just so he could debunk them and create drama. He was also sure to call Kane immature repeatedly.

He also made big news by giving the Jets an “F” on some TSN mid season wrap up.

The way he mixes news and opinion is flat out wrong IMO. The mix of unnamed sources and opinions with little logical backing dumbify the gen pop. Be greatful you guys have options. Gary is pretty much a quarter of all Winnipeg hockey coverage and out #1 “insider”.
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...s-what-me-work

Some fun dialogue in the comments section. One of out writers got nominated got nominated for his intentional troll job too, even though it is supposed to be limited to pro writer.

Check it out if you have a sec or nominate someone else (me even).

Old
12-20-2012, 12:43 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
Honestly, the Jets wouldn't have extended a 6 year offer to Kane if they didn't think he was going to grow out of this. Yes, he seems to act like a tool sometimes, more than I'd like to hear about, but I think he's surrounded by a pretty good leadership group and he's too good to have something like this hold him back.
Very true.

If they were worried, they would have offered Kane a 2 year deal. Everybody keeps talking about how Kane doesn't fit the TNSE mold, he must of they wouldn't have rewarded him with more money or term than anyone else on the team but Toby.

Old
12-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
I was also referring to the Hainsey article, yes.

Lawless wrote some total hack pieces to start the 2011-12 season (and of course there was that ridiculous 'F' grade he gave the Jets at the quarter mark for a TSN piece), but I noticed he stepped his game up a bit. Maybe I'm just being charitable, but I found there was a stretch where I wasn't cursing and facepalming when I read his articles. Hell, I even found myself agreeing with him once in awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Did you miss the Hainsey article?

I just nominated him for the worst column of the year award at our Toronto affiliate.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...s-what-me-work

Some fun dialogue in the comments section. One of out writers got nominated got nominated for his intentional troll job too, even though it is supposed to be limited to pro writer.

Check it out if you have a sec or nominate someone else (me even).

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 01:31 PM
JMT21

Is this pic a big deal in the grand scheme of things?? Certainly not. Not the smartest thing to do considering lots of arena workers etc. are out of jobs this xmas.

I'd much rather see a few pics of EK working out at the Ice Plex with Ladd getting ready to possibly play hockey soon. Or maybe a charity game or two.

I'd be much more P***** Off is EK tweeted a pic of him wearing another NHL jersey.

JMT21 is offline   Reply With Quote