HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Could World Juniors solidify top 5 order for 2013 draft???

Old
12-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Skinnyjimmy08
WorldTraveler

vCash: 500
Could World Juniors solidify top 5 order for 2013 draft???

I know that MacKinnon seems to be the leading candidate to be #1 in the draft. Myself, I am a huge fan of Jones and would really consider taking him 1st if I had the first pick. I know tons of people are HUGE on Barkov and also lots love Drouin. I know it's only 1 tournament but this could speak volumes. I assume Jones will be one of the go to D-men for the Americans and will face all the teams top players and every team constantly. And what if he shuts them down, gets points and exceeds expectations? What if the young MacKinnon kind of gets lost in the fold a bit on this extremely deep Canadian team and doesnt get in on many points? What if Drouin all of a sudden gets a shot playing on the top 2 lines and has instant chemistry with Strome and lights it up? Barkov too?.. I really think this is a HUGE tournament for all of them. Like I said it is only one tourament but I can wait to see who out of them excels and who kinda gets forgotten about in the tournament due to struggling.

Skinnyjimmy08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 11:03 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

I dunno man, last time an early possible #1 underwhelmed at the WJC, they let Sean Couturier slide to #8.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 11:08 PM
bigbadbruins7

i do agree and i do think that this tournament will have a big impact on where they are draftd. however i do not see these guys having a dissapointing tournament and falling like couturier. will certaily be interesting to see

bigbadbruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 12:22 AM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5585
I think it will have a bigger impact than previous years.

Lots of teams have shortened their scouting staffs due to the lockout and a lack of funds (a few others have increased them). So for those teams this is obviously the big opportunity to watch a lot of the overseas talent.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:19 AM
caley

It's really tough to say, as the WJHC are traditionally not a tournament where draft eligible players shine. That's not to say it's not made a few players careers, either.

I know there were supposedly a few scouts (Though none of them would own up to it now), who said they would take Kessel over Crosby after his 4 goal outing in the 2004-05 WJHC if the NHL lock-out forced the combining of the 2004 and 2005 drafts.

I also remember that in 2006 it was Erik Johnson's dominant performance at the WJHCs that skyrocketed him up to being a consensus first overall pick.

I'd say the back half of the CHL season and playoffs will affect the rankings more than the WJHC. If Halifax does anything but cake-walk through the QMJHL playoffs, or one or both of them no-show the playoffs (Which is what the belief was about Mikhail Grigorenko last year in the playoffs, that he disappeared when the going got tough, leading him to drop right out of the Top 3 all the way to 12 come draft time, even though it was established he was battling mono at the time of the playoffs), it will have a much more deleterious effect on their rankings. Likewise, if Seth Jones can't handle another team's top line in the first or second round of the playoffs, it will be much worse for him ranking-wise, then if he has a quiet WJHC.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 02:03 AM
Reinhart

I would say only extremes will alter the top end of the draft, otherwise it shouldn't really change the order as it stands. I think some of the lower ranked players make bigger moves from the WJC than already top-ranked players.

Couturier dropped (in my opinion) because he had mono, and it affected him throughout the season I think. He was expected to take a bigger step in his draft year, but that kept him down a bit. I don't think he fell to 8th because of the WJC at all.

Reinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 05:30 AM
Tomas W

Of course it has an impact. Important tourney for a lot of players.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 05:57 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
It is all about context. This event won't be the sole reason for any dynamic shift in beliefs, it will simply underline what is already there. Nino didn't simply rise to 5th overall solely based on this event, nor do Couturier fall simply because of a mediocre showing on a deep team.

I am most curious to see how Barkov performs. He's still one of the youngest players in the tournament, on a team that is good, but not a top dog, yet he is an elite player in a men's league already. Lindholm too, has a big role in the SEL, so as underagers go, you expect more than usual. Certainly expect more from Barkov/Lindholm than Forsberg last year for instance.

If anything, a player like Nichuskin (I believe he is likely to make it?) has more to gain or lose in regards to the NHL draft through this event than other draft eligible players. You won't have the CHL data/playoffs later on, he doesn't play much with men, and he's Russian. A showing beyond expectations is more important for him than any of the other leading Forward protagonists in this draft IMO.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 06:27 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
It's really tough to say, as the WJHC are traditionally not a tournament where draft eligible players shine. That's not to say it's not made a few players careers, either.

I know there were supposedly a few scouts (Though none of them would own up to it now), who said they would take Kessel over Crosby after his 4 goal outing in the 2004-05 WJHC if the NHL lock-out forced the combining of the 2004 and 2005 drafts.

I also remember that in 2006 it was Erik Johnson's dominant performance at the WJHCs that skyrocketed him up to being a consensus first overall pick.

I'd say the back half of the CHL season and playoffs will affect the rankings more than the WJHC. If Halifax does anything but cake-walk through the QMJHL playoffs, or one or both of them no-show the playoffs (Which is what the belief was about Mikhail Grigorenko last year in the playoffs, that he disappeared when the going got tough, leading him to drop right out of the Top 3 all the way to 12 come draft time, even though it was established he was battling mono at the time of the playoffs), it will have a much more deleterious effect on their rankings. Likewise, if Seth Jones can't handle another team's top line in the first or second round of the playoffs, it will be much worse for him ranking-wise, then if he has a quiet WJHC.
I'd imagine you mean 2005 and 2006 since Kessel was in the Erik Johnson draft.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 06:27 AM
La Flame

Im curious to see Elias Lindholm. Think hes gonna have a big tourney

La Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:06 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

I think it will have more impact on the 4,5,6,7,8 spots than the top 3. If Lindholm and Drouin have great WJCs, they could pass Monahan in the rankings if they haven't already. If Ristolainen plays well, he could get into the top 8. If Nichushkin shows more diversity in his game, he may solidify himself as a top 8 or 10 pick.

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:14 AM
ODAAT

Pretty sure more players have the potential to move up yet not for much change in the scouts belief at who will be in the top 5.

I have long felt that the WJHC`s has a similair impact upon drafting as March Madness does, a kid gets hot that maybe nobody saw coming, scouts drool, then make decisions based on emotions that come from a 2 week stretch and then we`ve seen those kids get drafted well ahead of where they should have been and fail or not come close to reaching the expectations placed on them based almost solely by draft position

ODAAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:14 PM
RJQuack

The top 5 picks in the draft could all be playing in this tournament... MacKinnon, Jones, Barkov, Lindholm, Drouin...

Has that ever happened before?

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:21 PM
rt
CoolWhiskyHotGravy

Reading this thread is leading me to believe that a lot of you guys see Monahan going outside of the top five? Holy cow.

12-19-2012, 11:58 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Reading this thread is leading me to believe that a lot of you guys see Monahan going outside of the top five? Holy cow.
Totally contingent on where teams see Lindholm and Drouin, since the top 3 is somewhat agreed upon. But yeah, the fact that guys like Monahan, Pulock, and Shinkaruk run the possibility of being available outside the top 5 is pretty crazy.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote