HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Dominant WJC players that busted

Old
12-19-2012, 11:46 PM
agentblack

vCash: 50
Dominant WJC players that busted

First off im not sure which forum this goes in, prospects or history, but anyways

Watching the top 40 canadian WJC players, and they brought up Dave Chyzowski, which made me wonder of the other players (not just canadian) that either completely busted or just didnt live up to the hype created by the tourney alone or junior accomplisments.

agentblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:47 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 0
MPS is the first that comes to my mind. He still has a couple years to turn it around though.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:48 PM
DeflatedFootball7

vCash: 500
Jimmy Waite. Got into a ridiculously poor environment for a goalie with two of the best ever in front of him on the depth chart. If I recall people were calling him the next Patrick Roy when he was drafted.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 12:14 AM
Hanji

2001 top 10 scorers reads like a who's who of busts.

1 Pavel Brendl Czech Republic F 7 4 6 10 8 +8
2 Jani Rita Finland F 7 8 1 9 0 +5
3 Jon DiSalvatore United States F 7 6 3 9 2 +2
4 Václav Nedorost Czech Republic F 7 4 5 9 0 +7
5 Andy Hilbert United States F 7 4 5 9 6 +3
6 Jeff Taffe United States F 7 6 2 8 6 +1
7 Zdeněk Blatný Czech Republic F 7 5 2 7 6 +8
8 Ville Hämäläinen Finland F 7 4 3 7 0 +4
9 Jamie Lundmark Canada F 7 4 3 7 6 0
10 Rostislav Klesla Czech Republic D 7 3 4 7 4 8

Hanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 12:16 AM
Leafidelity
Compete Level

vCash: 1775
Justin Pogge

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 12:22 AM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanji View Post

Not surprising, the 99-00 drafts were atrocious

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 12:25 AM
agentblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanji View Post

Wow, lol thats interesting. One of the panelists on the top 40 show made an observation about
being able to dominant against a peer group but then cant produce the same output against
men almost twice their age. That was pre lockout but now the league seems alot younger
most of this generations competition will be within 5-6 yrs of each other.

Old
12-20-2012, 03:11 AM
agentblack

Filatov is one i suppose
26 in 20 U20 games
Made big first impression but is fading away

Old
12-20-2012, 03:18 AM
Xokkeu

Guys I can think of

Cody Hodgson from 2009. I know he's not fully developed, but the 2nd guy on the list is Jon Tavares, Jordan Eberle and then Nikita Filatov. Jordan Schroeder also was a dominated junior player that year and the next, but never really made it. Schroeder was a top scorer three years in a row.

A lot of guys do well at the junior level but never make it anywhere.

Oskar Osala
Felix Schutz
Alexander Bumagin (greatest surname ever by the way)

Marek Slovak
Arnaud Jacquernet

Lauri Tukonen
Stanislav Lascek

I could go on. The leading scorer chart of most tournaments is filled with guys who never made it but could put up points at the Junior level.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 03:45 AM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentblack View Post
Filatov is one i suppose
26 in 20 U20 games
Made big first impression but is fading away
Should have continued developing in Russia and then moved to the NHL at a more mature age.

Here is one from the Russian 2003 WJC Champions. Igor Grigorenko along with Trubachev led the tournament in points (10 in 6 games). Grigorenko was MVP in the final against Canada. A lot of potential until he was involved in a serious car accident. He suffered a broken left thigh bone and two fractures in his left shin bone. In addition, complications arose and he developed a fat embolism in his left lung, which is a potentially fatal condition, think he would have been a special player if not for his injury. Perezhogin also stood out in the 2003 WJC, 9 points in 6 games. The one that ended up turning into a superstar on that team was a 17 year old by the name of Alexander Ovechkin (6 goals in 6 games).

Last edited by Dynamo81: 12-20-2012 at 03:58 AM.
Dynamo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 03:51 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
It's hard to call Grigs a bust, though. Serious injuries don't really make a prospect a bust. I think that's a different scenario entirely.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 03:57 AM
agentblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
Should have continued developing in Russia and then moved to the NHL at a more mature age.

Here is one from the Russian 2003 WJC Champions. Igor Grigorenko along with Trubachev led the tournament in points (10 in 6 games). Grigorenko was MVP in the final against Canada. A lot of potential until he was involved in a serious car accident. He suffered a broken left thigh bone and two fractures in his left shin bone. In addition, complications arose and he developed a fat embolism in his left lung, which is a potentially fatal condition. Perezhogin also stood out in the 2003 WJC, 9 points in 6 games. The one that ended up turning into a superstar on that team was a 17 year old by the name of Alexander Ovechkin (6 goals in 6 games).
I knew there was a reason I made this thread, I totally forgot about this guy

Should Robert Reichel be considered a let down?, maybe not a bust totally
but his tourney numbers are pretty crazy

Olesz is another

Old
12-20-2012, 04:02 AM
TheZec

Instantly tought about Conz. He isn't technically a bust, because he is playing well in Switzerland, but I consider not being drafted after 2 very good performance to be close as busting.

TheZec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 04:13 AM
stlblues9

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZec View Post
Instantly tought about Conz. He isn't technically a bust, because he is playing well in Switzerland, but I consider not being drafted after 2 very good performance to be close as busting.
How is he close to being a bust if he was never given a chance?

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 04:27 AM
maroon 6
Live and let live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Guys I can think of

Cody Hodgson from 2009. I know he's not fully developed, but the 2nd guy on the list is Jon Tavares, Jordan Eberle and then Nikita Filatov. Jordan Schroeder also was a dominated junior player that year and the next, but never really made it. Schroeder was a top scorer three years in a row.

A lot of guys do well at the junior level but never make it anywhere.

Oskar Osala
Felix Schutz
Alexander Bumagin (greatest surname ever by the way)

Marek Slovak
Arnaud Jacquernet

Lauri Tukonen
Stanislav Lascek

I could go on. The leading scorer chart of most tournaments is filled with guys who never made it but could put up points at the Junior level.
Hodgson? Seriously?
First of all, Tavares was one year younger and Eberle obviously exceeded expectations in the NHL.

Secondly, Hodgson is only 22 and coming off of a 40 point rookie season. Keep in mind that he spent most of his time in the third line and he had to develop chemistry with teammates twice in one season. Starts off slow in VAN, then eventually picks it up. Starts off slow in BUF, then eventually picks it up. I bet you if he played a full season in either VAN or BUF he would have more points.

Another thing to note, after that WJC Hodgson injured his back which made him miss close to a year.

maroon 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 04:35 AM
bruinsfan46

On Team Canada Rewind last night they talked a bit about Marty Murray. He tied for the lead with Jason Allison on the '95 lockout team in scoring and was tournament MVP. After Murray and Allison in scoring you had Bryan McCabe, Eric Daze, Alexandre Daigle, Jeff Friesen and Ryan Smyth. Jeff O'Neill, Wade Redden, Darcy Tucker and Ed Jovanoski also played on the team. Lot of good NHL careers and Marty Murray's never really got going, too small for the NHL in that era.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 04:35 AM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

Vaclav Nedorost always struck me as a guy who would carve out a solid NHL career as a 2nd liner, but he didn't pan out at all.

stempniaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 04:55 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 723
waite for me

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 05:19 AM
goodoldhockeygame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZec View Post
like said before, he didnt get any chance, he played two great tournaments and plays consistent in the elite league in switzerland since he's 18. So i wouldnt consider him a bust at all. Even he didt got a shot at the nhl yet, i think he will get in the next years...

and reichel for sure no consideration of bust at all

NHL: games 830 goals 252 assists 378 points 630
WC: games 77 goals 24 assists 39 points 63

goodoldhockeygame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 05:27 AM
agentblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassse34 View Post
like said before, he didnt get any chance, he played two great tournaments and plays consistent in the elite league in switzerland since he's 18. So i wouldnt consider him a bust at all. Even he didt got a shot at the nhl yet, i think he will get in the next years...

and reichel for sure no consideration of bust at all

NHL: games 830 goals 252 assists 378 points 630
WC: games 77 goals 24 assists 39 points 63
Well I stand corrected
IDk he just seemed unremarkable when he played
but numbers dont lie

Old
12-20-2012, 06:33 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 494
Anthony Stewart. Well, he's NHLer but I expected a lot more after 04 WJCs.

Nigel Dawes. Thought he would be star lol. He didn't seem so small with other juniors.

2003-04 Canada U20 WJC-20 6 6 5 11 +10
2004-05 Canada U20 WJC-20 6 2 4 6 +8

Olesz probably doesn't count.

Lauri Tukonen.

Stephen Werner and Sergei Anshakov scored both 5 goals in 04..

Mikko Lehtonen.. doubt he becomes NHLer.

Patrik Bärtschi was pretty good in 03 and 04.

Daniel Tkaczuk.. only based on stats, don't remember him.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 07:13 AM
Statsy

Wow, lots to choose from here. That one year when all the top scorers busted is absolutely ridiculous! Just makes you appreciate the guys that become NHL legends all the more.

To play devil's advocate (not the pinball game), I often wonder how big a part the mishandling of the prospect by the NHL club plays into the bust. If a player doesn't make it it's always the player that gets blamed, yet in another situation, on another team, that player would have undoubtedly have had success. I have long noticed that clubs are often more critical of their own draft picks, as compared to young players they acquire from other franchises.

To cite a recent example; The Canucks draft Cody Hodgson, and though he does suffer a serious injury, the team had already prevented him from joining the everyday roster for two full years after he was probably ready to start playing in the NHL. They eventually move him for reasons that elude me to this day and bring in Zach Kassian, who doesn't at all seem ready, but somehow gets thrown into the lineup every game no matter how he plays. My point being that players are at the whim of their parent club and whether it's internal politics or some other reason, some players just don't get a fair shake.

I'll get off my soapbox now, but I have been holding that one in for years.

Statsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 07:49 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post

Here is one from the Russian 2003 WJC Champions. Igor Grigorenko along with Trubachev led the tournament in points (10 in 6 games). Grigorenko was MVP in the final against Canada. A lot of potential until he was involved in a serious car accident. He suffered a broken left thigh bone and two fractures in his left shin bone. In addition, complications arose and he developed a fat embolism in his left lung, which is a potentially fatal condition, think he would have been a special player if not for his injury. Perezhogin also stood out in the 2003 WJC, 9 points in 6 games. The one that ended up turning into a superstar on that team was a 17 year old by the name of Alexander Ovechkin (6 goals in 6 games).
Detroit fans like to play the what if game with Grigorenko a lot. His reports were even better than Datsyuk and Zetterberg prior to that accident. He did come over for a short little bit in Grand Rapids and pulled the plug. Considering all that however the guy has had a very productive career in Russia. He did lose a gear in terms of skating do to all the leg problems but the guy still has magic hands.

Grigorenko was a first team all-star in the KHL a couple years ago and has won some championships. He might not have accomplished what he was going to and he really didn't give North America a chance but I wouldn't call him a bust. In fact considering his injuries I have always been impressed with the career he has had. He has gone to a World Championship and two EHT for Russia since that car accident. Does look like he is having a rough season again this year though as he was tried with both the Radulov boys and then Datsyuk and seems to have lost his place in the top 6 at CSKA.

Teemu Pulkkinen has all the feelings of this kind of player. He has started scoring again in Finland recently, but I have my doubts he is going anywhere all that great in terms of the NHL. He put up big numbers at the WJC with 19 points in 13 games. It was usually against the softer competition but if you start throwing those numbers out in five or six years people will just see the point total and think he must have been pretty good in all of them.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 12-20-2012 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Future one
The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Fulcrum

Speaking of Perezhogin, he's been doing excellent in KHL and played on the 1st line with Malkin at the WC last year. It's not insane if we see him at the Olympics either, he's become a very dangerous player on big ice.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Patrik Bartschi - Never played an NHL game despite 10 points in 6 games.
Yuri Trubachev - 10 points in 6 games and now plays in the KHL for UFA

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote