HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL (Kontinental Hockey League) 2012-2013 season part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2012, 09:02 AM
cska78

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyhell View Post
Dang, thanks for the answer.

Last season I was a night owl and found myself on youtube watching a bunch of games with solid quality. Thought it was really cool of the KHL to be doing that.

Got a stream right now.

Anyone know if Varlamov is injured or playing? I think I heard something about him being injured.
youtube now only has live VHL games, sometimes I watch those.

Old
12-19-2012, 09:03 AM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyhell View Post
Anyone know if Varlamov is injured or playing? I think I heard something about him being injured.
He's playing on the 2nd line.

What a great comeback by Sibir.. Trailing 3-1 in the 3rd, killed full 2 mins of 5 on 3 and when tied it in the last minute. Lehtera shows up big time with a goal and assist.

Old
12-19-2012, 09:14 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAndFury View Post
He's playing on the 2nd line.

What a great comeback by Sibir.. Trailing 3-1 in the 3rd, killed full 2 mins of 5 on 3 and when tied it in the last minute. Lehtera shows up big time with a goal and assist.
is not Varlamov a goalie? He was back up today for Loko

Old
12-19-2012, 09:18 AM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
is not Varlamov a goalie? He was back up today for Loko
Oops, somehow i read it Varnakov. My bad.

Old
12-19-2012, 10:39 AM
SoundAndFury

What's with Zherdev? Not playing today.

And Glazachev just scored for Yugra? How the hell did he get there?

Last edited by SoundAndFury: 12-19-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old
12-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

Pavelski is on a hot streak, 2 goals today, points in 8 straight games (6+5).

Old
12-19-2012, 02:33 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
Why would he be with CSKA at least right away? KHL is no beer league. VHL is what he has to handle now to prove he belongs on that CSKA roster.
I am always the one talking up the KHL in other parts of this forum, I don't think the KHL is a "beer" league. KHL teams do seem to generally keep youngsters on the 4th line though, and my impression from reading the stuff of Prokhorkin's contract is that CSKA was looking at keeping him up with them. Not that it's a problem that he is headed down for bigger icetime and role, that's probably the best thing for the kid right now. I was just asking.

In other news, 38 saves for Janus today! Another SO win for Slovan.

Old
12-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I watched the game, and I have to say it was a crappy one. This is actually the first KHL game this year I've seen in full, so I was really disappointed by the level of play. I'm also one to talk KHL up everywhere I get the chance, so hopefully this game doesn't reflect it as accurately as some other ones do.

Nonetheless, Janus was very solid, as was Tarkki at the other end. Visnovsky is also very dominant both on the defensive, as well as the offensive end, and I think he really is elite among defensemen playing in the KHL this year. On Salavat, I really liked Pankov and Mirnov, although ultimately they didn't generate too much, either.

Old
12-19-2012, 02:58 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I watched the game, and I have to say it was a crappy one. This is actually the first KHL game this year I've seen in full, so I was really disappointed by the level of play. I'm also one to talk KHL up everywhere I get the chance, so hopefully this game doesn't reflect it as accurately as some other ones do.

Nonetheless, Janus was very solid, as was Tarkki at the other end. Visnovsky is also very dominant both on the defensive, as well as the offensive end, and I think he really is elite among defensemen playing in the KHL this year. On Salavat, I really liked Pankov and Mirnov, although ultimately they didn't generate too much, either.
Isn't Slovan NHL sized ice?

Old
12-19-2012, 03:52 PM
ebis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
Isn't Slovan NHL sized ice?
I'm not sure if NHL sized, but it's the smallest one in KHL.

Old
12-19-2012, 05:15 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Hope Kukumberg and co. will be banned by GM to speak with media. Blaming refs all the time. Something impossible in NHL and rest of KHL clubs (maybe Radulov).

Old
12-19-2012, 05:36 PM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Slovan is probably the most boring team in the league, that's why their couch got fired from Avangard last year. It works but it's a crappy spectacle to watch.

Old
12-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Faterson

Quote:
Janus now leads the KHL in shutouts, along with Staňa, Košečkin and Pöpperle (4 each). Janus would definitely deserve an invitation to the KHL All-Star game as one of the 3 goaltenders in the West. Or does anyone know of 3 better candidates? Mine would be Varlamov, Staňa and Janus. (Not Yeremenko, for example, because he appeared in significantly fewer games than Janus, and behind a significantly better team.)

Quote:
I watched the game, and I have to say it was a crappy one.
For those of us who were emotionally involved, it was nail-biting suspense every second of the game. But I said to the friend sitting next to me, "I can imagine this might be boring for an impartial observer." I guess that was you. It's different when you're familiar with each and every player's personal history, etc., so that there's always something to watch for on the ice. This was a difficult game for Slovan because they lost Kukumberg early in the game, which meant they had to play the game with 5 players missing from their optimal/usual line-up. Šatan and Štajnoch are injured, and Daňo and Mikúš departed for Slovakia's U20 team. Quite a few players from Slovan's farm team Skalica got to play tonight, and they did pretty well.

Quote:
Nonetheless, Janus was very solid, as was Tarkki at the other end. Visnovsky is also very dominant both on the defensive, as well as the offensive end, and I think he really is elite among defensemen playing in the KHL this year.
Višňovský was great, as always, Scott Niedermayer-ish. But the best player tonight, in my opinion, was Vondrka, not only because of the 2 converted shootout attempts. Vondrka said he had studied Tarkki's moves before the game, and it certainly paid off spectacularly. He said he knew exactly what he would do for each of the 2 shootout attempts, and he succeeded in executing his plans. Janus has been consistently brilliant throughout the season, so people don't find that remarkable any longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebis View Post
I'm not sure if NHL sized, but it's the smallest one in KHL.
Slovan's ice rink is definitely not NHL-sized. It's European-sized, but narrower. The change was only made before the current KHL season. I find it an attractive compromise between the "corridor" style of ice rinks in the NHL, and the "airfield" style of ice rinks in Russia.

Quote:
Hope Kukumberg and co. will be banned by GM to speak with media. Blaming refs all the time. Something impossible in NHL and rest of KHL clubs (maybe Radulov).
The call on Kukumberg was extremely weird. The linesmen seemed imprecise, too. I see nothing wrong with criticizing the referees if they give a bad performance. Such criticism is sometimes voiced in the NHL, too.

By the way, Miloš Říha was on Slovan's ice tonight, presenting the best player awards, and given a hero's welcome (he won the Slovak Championship with Slovan twice in the early 2000s). I was surprised to see Říha in Slovakia, because judging by the interviews he gave after being dismissed from SKA, he wanted to take a good rest away from hockey. Well, it doesn't seem all that urgent.

It's my (unrealistic) hope that Košice will join the KHL right in the next season, and Říha could be an excellent coach for them. Rumours say that the steel works in Košice might get sold by U. S. Steel before the end of 2012, perhaps to the Shakhtar Donetsk owner. Well, I don't wish for U. S. Steel to leave Slovakia, but I do wish that HC Košice's main sponsor, whoever that might be in 2013, do their best effort to make it possible for Košice to join the KHL as soon as possible.

Old
12-19-2012, 06:08 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

deleted

Last edited by vorky: 12-25-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old
12-19-2012, 06:13 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Faterson
maybe NHL players criticize refs SOMETIMES. But Slovan´s players do that ALL THE TIME. Another story is that some diplomacy would be great. You can see that in NHL, not Slovan.

Old
12-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Faterson

Quote:
what can I say about this "supporter" of Slovan? Only one word - shame
Hmm, I don't get what this is supposed to prove... The Internet and its message boards are full of stupid people. That person might be a 15-year-old angst-ridden teenager.

Quote:
maybe NHL players criticize refs SOMETIMES. But Slovan´s players do that ALL THE TIME.
Really? I'm not aware of that. I'm afraid you may be exaggerating. Even for the most controversial moment of Slovan's season, after Chára's hit on Šatan in early November that may eventually end Šatan's hockey career, I heard no Slovan players complain about the non-call, recognizing that there was likely no foul play.

Old
12-19-2012, 09:01 PM
Spektanto

KHL opened a new Video section on their site http://video.khl.ru/
Hope the English version will appear soon.

Old
12-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
For those of us who were emotionally involved, it was nail-biting suspense every second of the game. But I said to the friend sitting next to me, "I can imagine this might be boring for an impartial observer." I guess that was you. It's different when you're familiar with each and every player's personal history, etc., so that there's always something to watch for on the ice.
Yeah, I'm sure it was exciting for you guys, but I was just disappointed with how Salavat played. They couldn't string together a coherent offensive play despite what the number of shots might tell you. I don't know, there just wasn't much creativity, just blindless passing with not much connecting. Rolinek, especially, had a terrible game, for someone playing on the first line. Zinoviev was "as advertised" and he made a couple of good plays, but was left to hang as soon as he had to pass the puck to someone else. And when Slovan applied pressure, Salavat players in general just didn't know what to do with the puck, which was painfully obvious on powerplays.

Quote:
Višňovský was great, as always, Scott Niedermayer-ish. But the best player tonight, in my opinion, was Vondrka, not only because of the 2 converted shootout attempts. Vondrka said he had studied Tarkki's moves before the game, and it certainly paid off spectacularly. He said he knew exactly what he would do for each of the 2 shootout attempts, and he succeeded in executing his plans. Janus has been consistently brilliant throughout the season, so people don't find that remarkable any longer.
Truth be told, Visnovsky was a notch above the top guys on Salavat, Proshkin and Atyushov, and I wasn't happy with that as I'm always trying to tell people Russia has good, if not great depth on defense, as well. As for Vondrka, I haven't noticed him during the game at all. I quite liked Lipiansky and Bakos, though. And for a player with NHL experience, Bartovic was quite underwhelming.

As for Janus, I have to agree, at least judging from the highlights I've seen.

Old
12-20-2012, 01:48 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
I am always the one talking up the KHL in other parts of this forum, I don't think the KHL is a "beer" league. KHL teams do seem to generally keep youngsters on the 4th line though, and my impression from reading the stuff of Prokhorkin's contract is that CSKA was looking at keeping him up with them. Not that it's a problem that he is headed down for bigger icetime and role, that's probably the best thing for the kid right now. I was just asking.

Of course there are coaches who do that. But have a look at the russian WJC roster. A lot of those guys are getting more than 4th line duty in the KHL right now. There are more examples outside this roster too.

Old
12-20-2012, 04:24 AM
lukkas

Quote:
Really? I'm not aware of that. I'm afraid you may be exaggerating. Even for the most controversial moment of Slovan's season, after Chára's hit on Šatan in early November that may eventually end Šatan's hockey career, I heard no Slovan players complain about the non-call, recognizing that there was likely no foul play.
He is exaggerating. I don't remember that either. Čada never said a word about referees. And players talking about referees, maybe after games against Astana or CSKA but definitely not all the time.

Old
12-20-2012, 04:34 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Kukumberg or another Slovan´s player: you know, russian refs
Clowe (playing from bench): I don't know what you guys are talking about. I have no idea.

I hope you can see difference

Old
12-20-2012, 05:28 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
same song Riga fans were singing in early KHL years...they thought, that if they put together a team from Latvian players playing in average European teams and would all of a sudden compete for GC.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:44 AM
lukkas

Quote:
Clowe (playing from bench): I don't know what you guys are talking about. I have no idea.

You can't be serious with this. You just took random statement of NHL player and used it to compare with something Kukumberg didn't even say.

The Kukumberg call was stupid but I'm not saying refs where one-sided yesterday. They made several bad calls against Ufa too.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:53 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukkas View Post
You can't be serious with this. You just took random statement of NHL player and used it to compare with something Kukumberg didn't even say.

The Kukumberg call was stupid but I'm not saying refs where one-sided yesterday. They made several bad calls against Ufa too.
I am not talking onyl about yesterday´s game, but whole season.

Old
12-20-2012, 07:35 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure it was exciting for you guys, but I was just disappointed with how Salavat played.
They seemed especially weak on power-plays. During that highly questionable 5-minute penalty Kukumberg received, Salavat Yulayev barely had a shot on Slovan goal. They will never admit it, but I do think they may have been at least slightly disturbed by the infernal whistling of the whole arena throughout the 5 minutes. Slovan's arena doesn't behave like that during ordinary short-handed situations, but because the crowd felt the injustice apparently done against Kukumberg, they let their dismay be heard loud and clear.

Quote:
Rolinek, especially, had a terrible game, for someone playing on the first line.
I think Rolínek may have been trying too hard; see also his bump into Janus. It's likely that Czech players feel the need to "accomplish even more" while playing on Slovak ice, and that effort is not always successful. SKA's Štěpánek gave a particularly horrible performance in Bratislava. (The reverse is also true, whenever Slovaks play against Czech teams.)

Quote:
As for Vondrka, I haven't noticed him during the game at all.
He kept holding on to the puck for long stretches of time, making several great passes. (Including to Sigalet, which was one of Slovan's greatest opportunities to score a goal last night.) Vondrka has clearly been Slovan's top forward this season. Slovan management have said they'd like to compose the team of Slovak players only if possible, but there are exceptions. Vondrka as the only Czech player on Slovan's team, and Sigalet as the only Canadian, have both certainly justified making those exceptions. I hope to see them both playing for Slovan next season as well. (Slovan has already released the Swedish defenceman Printz and the Finnish goaltender Hostikka from their initial KHL contracts.)

Quote:
And for a player with NHL experience, Bartovic was quite underwhelming.
Bartovič has been underwhelming this season, but he seemed much improved last night, actually. Remember he was responsible for getting that shootout attempt in the 1st period, although he failed to convert it. He's likely Slovan's speediest skater, posing a potential threat to the opponents whenever he's on the ice.

Quote:

You've got to be kidding (or typing this in your sleep), Vorky. Clowe went unpunished by the referees, so how can you quote him in relation to Kukumberg who got ejected from the game probably for something that never happened? Some observers say the foul play may actually have been committed by Kytnár, but because the referees failed to see it, they just picked a random Slovan player (Kukumberg) and punished him for the play, following Salavat Yulayev's protests.

If you want to talk about the Clowe incident, you should ask the LA Kings players and coach who were the injured party in that game. Clowe's reaction was actually embarrassing for a professional hockey player. A respectable reaction would have been, "Yeah, I interfered with the play, but got lucky because the referees didn't see it." (Funnily enough, that referee mistake may have helped the Kings win the Stanley Cup eventually, because they had to start the play-offs as bottom seeds, which turned out to be ideal for them.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
same song Riga fans were singing in early KHL years...they thought, that if they put together a team from Latvian players playing in average European teams and would all of a sudden compete for GC.
And who are you talking about, please? Definitely not about Slovan, because both Slovan management and players have repeatedly made it clear, both before and during the season, that they would consider it a success if Slovan simply made the play-offs this season.

Closed Thread