HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 CBA/Lockout talk Part VII..Will a deal get done..

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2012, 09:20 AM
DoubleAAAA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Biscuit View Post
"No comment"

"I can't answer that right now"

"I hope so"

Friedman told him "I don't know" was not acceptable. He could have easily avoided the question.
You're right ... the lockout is clearly over and Bill Daly just spilled the beans.

Come on ... he was asked a meaningless question and gave a meaningless answer ... I'm sure he's very hopeful there will be a season, but that he said "yes" means absolutely zero.

Old
12-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Deal Law
S corps suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
Had a dream last night that I was flipping through channels and NESN was scheduled to show Charlie Moore, but for some reason the Bruins opening night game was on....against the Thrashers. The building was almost entirely empty. Then I got confused so I flipped to Versus, and they were showing the Caps opening night game against the Jets.

I was so confused that the Thrashers were back, somehow the Jets had a game the same night as them, and that NESN and Versus were playing games without them being on the TV guide.

Then I woke up really angry.
I had a dream just like that earlier in the lockout. The only differences were that it also involved two bikini-clad blondes who seemed very into each other, a bottle of Macallan 25yr, a kiddie pool filled with mud, and yes, somewhere in the background was some combination of NESN and hockey...

I woke up in a cold sweat when I heard some townie screaming about "Lunkah spinnin' bait" and "Awwbawshawn haaaaaardwaaaaaaare."

Old
12-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Spooner st

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
I happen to be more with the owners in this whole thing, but let's not pretend that they are offering some wonderous golden goose to the players. The players are giving alot back...just like every other employee in the free world. IMO the players need to wake up and join the real world...this is how it is in real life.... But not for one minute do I think the owners are giving anything...they aren't...they are taking, just like every other owner in every other walk of life. It's just the way things are.

Lou... Most of us know the NHL as a hole is not profitable as is, Of course the solution is to cut back not to give more. Imo the owners are already giving to much in an effort to save the season. 1\3 of the teams would rather the season to be cancelled as a 48 games season is not profitable.

The players know the offer on the table wont get better then what it is...
Fehr is the one who's trying to squeeze everything till the last minute. The players driven by greed are agreeing with it.

We will have a 48 games season, with another band aid solution... and another lockout at the end of the new CBA no matter who the commish is or will be.

Old
12-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Well, even if there is no NHL this season, it looks like the Stanley Cup could be played for and raised by someone anyway

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle6591259/
Such a scenario would fill me with joy and glee.

Old
12-20-2012, 09:36 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner st View Post
Lou... Most of us know the NHL as a hole is not profitable as is, Of course the solution is to cut back not to give more. Imo the owners are already giving to much in an effort to save the season. 1\3 of the teams would rather the season to be cancelled as a 48 games season is not profitable.

The players know the offer on the table wont get better then what it is...
Fehr is the one who's trying to squeeze everything till the last minute. The players driven by greed are agreeing with it.

We will have a 48 games season, with another band aid solution... and another lockout at the end of the new CBA no matter who the commish is or will be.
Thank you for inadvertently summing up what I've been trying to convey for 3 months!

Old
12-20-2012, 09:40 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Well, even if there is no NHL this season, it looks like the Stanley Cup could be played for and raised by someone anyway

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle6591259/
Dom, what is the scenario that after Xmas- next Thursday & Friday specifically, they get together hammer this out and Crosby plays a significant role or atleast that is how it spins out

Old
12-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Spooner st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll 4 Lines View Post
Thank you for inadvertently summing up what I've been trying to convey for 3 months!
That's what we call an honest mistake with some truth.

Old
12-20-2012, 09:59 AM
flannelman
quixotic fox!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yes it is his job...in one on one negotiations with general managers. It's not his job to spread misleading propaganda for the NHLPA... which is what he does on a regular and daily basis.

The NHLPA is the sole negotiating entity for the NHL players in a new CBA, not Alan Walsh.

He's been on a stink about the NHL honoring contracts. He went to bat for one of his players who said the NHL should honor its contracts. But when it's one of his players not honoring that contract......
Haha. Yes, indeed. He must be a fan of Walt Whitman: "do I contradict myself? Very well then. I'm large, I contain multitudes"

Might have the quote a bit backasswards, but I suspect you see where I'm going. He's just manipulating / exploiting what he can, in the end, he's ensuring his pockets are well-lined. But I don't trust agents to have morals. I expect them to be hippocrates so long as it benefits them.

Cheers,

Old
12-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Rubber Biscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAAAA View Post
You're right ... the lockout is clearly over and Bill Daly just spilled the beans.

Come on ... he was asked a meaningless question and gave a meaningless answer ... I'm sure he's very hopeful there will be a season, but that he said "yes" means absolutely zero.
I didn't say it meant the lockout was over.

I don't think it's meaningless. I think both sides are trying to squeeze every last drop out of the other, and they know it.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
Dom, what is the scenario that after Xmas- next Thursday & Friday specifically, they get together hammer this out and Crosby plays a significant role or atleast that is how it spins out
Dan, quite honestly I have no idea. You know I've been a firm believer that there will be a season and believe the NHL had always believed that and that the players would cave. That's why they had 6 different schedule scenarios back in October.

Now, I believe if anyone caves its the owners, but will it be in time to save the season?

I don't think your next week scenario works. Christmas is on Tuesday, Boxing day Wednesday, I just don't think 2 days (Thu & Fri) is enough time, but we'll see.

As for Crosby, he's under a lot of pressure, probably undeserving from media and fans, and to some extent some players as we talked about the other day. In 04, Gretzky and Lemieux couldn't save the season, I just don't see how Crosby can.

Everyone is expecting/predicting the worst in fan reaction when it does resume. I'm still not convinced it will be as bad as some say. Pittsburgh to date has had 35 season ticket cancellations. They have 9,500 still on a wait list.

People post here that they are not going to spend another cent. I find the opposite everywhere I go. Merchandise is cheaper than ever and people are buying it up. Maybe because I don't live in an NHL city? I don't know.

A Bobby Orr game used stick was just auctioned off yesterday for $2600 (pizzed me off because it beat my bid). Would it have gotten more if they were playing? Probably, which shows people don't care anymore. It's impossible to get a read on it whatsoever.

You know of my buddy I've mentioned to you. Well he's not sure anymore. And if he's not sure, then I have my doubts.

One thing I am certain of: If it was left completely up to Daly and S Fehr, they'd be playing hockey already. Not because the orders they are under would change, but because they'd actually sit and negotiate. Bettman and D Fehr however, it's all ego.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Greyhounds

I don't want the new cba to be a piece of junk that will require we go through this all over again next time. So I'm ok with the owners waiting to get what they need. If it takes this year, and next year, and the year after that, I'm ok with it.

However long it takes for the players to give Fehr the boot, and realize what idiots they are, that's ok with me.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Highatop325
Only took 4 months!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhounds View Post
I don't want the new cba to be a piece of junk that will require we go through this all over again next time. So I'm ok with the owners waiting to get what they need. If it takes this year, and next year, and the year after that, I'm ok with it.

However long it takes for the players to give Fehr the boot, and realize what idiots they are, that's ok with me.
Judging from this article, it sounds like Don is handing the keys over to Steve after this labor agreement is complete

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...rIK/story.html

Old
12-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Terrier

Can the Mayans help us out? Tomorrow is it.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:52 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:

You're ok with losing 3 seasons to avoid MAYBE losing one 8-10 years after that? Y'all are nuts!

There will be a season, and the playoffs will be glorious

Old
12-20-2012, 12:58 PM
bp13

Quote:

I get this perspective, but I think Babcock is right. If they do actually lose a full season, this sport becomes bowling. It won't matter when the next CBA expires because nobody will care.

Assuming they do settle in the next 7-10 days, I agree we need a minimum 6 year deal to crawl out from the PR hole the players and the owners have conspired to put the sport in.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Ratty

When will we know the results of the player voting on decertification? Five days are up today.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Dan, quite honestly I have no idea. You know I've been a firm believer that there will be a season and believe the NHL had always believed that and that the players would cave. That's why they had 6 different schedule scenarios back in October.

Now, I believe if anyone caves its the owners, but will it be in time to save the season?

I don't think your next week scenario works. Christmas is on Tuesday, Boxing day Wednesday, I just don't think 2 days (Thu & Fri) is enough time, but we'll see.

As for Crosby, he's under a lot of pressure, probably undeserving from media and fans, and to some extent some players as we talked about the other day. In 04, Gretzky and Lemieux couldn't save the season, I just don't see how Crosby can.

Everyone is expecting/predicting the worst in fan reaction when it does resume. I'm still not convinced it will be as bad as some say. Pittsburgh to date has had 35 season ticket cancellations. They have 9,500 still on a wait list.

People post here that they are not going to spend another cent. I find the opposite everywhere I go. Merchandise is cheaper than ever and people are buying it up. Maybe because I don't live in an NHL city? I don't know.

A Bobby Orr game used stick was just auctioned off yesterday for $2600 (pizzed me off because it beat my bid). Would it have gotten more if they were playing? Probably, which shows people don't care anymore. It's impossible to get a read on it whatsoever.

You know of my buddy I've mentioned to you. Well he's not sure anymore. And if he's not sure, then I have my doubts.

One thing I am certain of: If it was left completely up to Daly and S Fehr, they'd be playing hockey already. Not because the orders they are under would change, but because they'd actually sit and negotiate. Bettman and D Fehr however, it's all ego.
Too much power with too few individuals? True on both sides perhaps? But how do you fix it? I know I'm of the mind that I'd like to see the players vote on the final offer from the NHL before voting on decertifying, and that's largely because I believe more then enough players simply aren't affected by many of the issues holding things up. But then I also understand the flip side to that is most likely true as well, there are likely a good many owners who would have settled with the players final offer.

Everyone involved seems to be biting their nose off to spite their face right now but in the end I doubt either suffer for it. We've seen all the polls stating there has been much disinterest caused by the lockout, but then you see all the anger over the WJC game times, and see a Charity game sell out (albeit capacity was only 2600). Hockey fans love their hockey and like it or not, the NHL is the top echelon of professional hockey in NA. Unless a rival league springs up and somehow manages to out do the NHL people will flock back. I'll be one.

Old
12-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/stat...57601011081216

Quote:
Bill Simmons

Hearing the NHL will announce later today that its cancelling games through Jan. 14. Hockey hates fans.

Old
12-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...59625169608705
Quote:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

Expect word today\tonight the NHL will cancel regular season games thru Jan 14th. End of the line after that...I suspect.

Old
12-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
44 game schedule.. divisional opponents in the building 3 times in 3.5 months. No western conference games, only gave to see the pitiful southeast division once?

I could get used to this.

Old
12-20-2012, 04:10 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
well that would be the end I'd think- I hope....enough of this crap

Old
12-20-2012, 04:14 PM
Fire Julien

Quote:
NHL owners just in time with their xmas gift.

Old
12-20-2012, 04:21 PM
JMiller

Quote:
They've got to know that there are fewer and fewer people sticking around the forest to hear them chop down these trees.

Old
12-20-2012, 04:24 PM
ksp1957

Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
They're trying to do in the NHLPA. My personal preference is to dissolve the NHL and have a new league created with the existing teams. Any team that doesn't go along gets done away with and the players can sign anywhere.

HEY I CAN DREAM CAN'T I ?

Old
12-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Fire Julien

Jesse Spector ‏@jessespector

Gary Bettman now at 2,323 career games canceled. Only 309 away from Cal Ripken now. Congrats!

Closed Thread