HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

NFL Thread VII: Cue the Mid-Season Slide

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2012, 07:15 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
I dont think their line of thinking was that far off. I mean the O line that first year was sick with D-Brick, Mangold, Faneca and Woody... the receiving corps of Cotchery, Holmes and Edwards was solid, and Thomas Jones/Greene were running hard. Scott was younger, Harris was playing well... it looked like they COULD have just been a QB away... of course thats no longer the case, lol.
I agree and maybe I should have worded what I said better. I find it funny that teams, like where the Jets are now, feel that adding a kid at QB right out of school is the answer when the rest of the team is a (if not "the") major problem.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:21 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

SportsCenter saying the Jets also plan on parting ways with Tebow this off-season. Not really surprising, just figured I'd share.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
SportsCenter saying the Jets also plan on parting ways with Tebow this off-season. Not really surprising, just figured I'd share.
Truly one of the most baffling acquisitions in NY sports history

Old
12-20-2012, 08:39 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Truly one of the most baffling acquisitions in NY sports history
I thought it was pretty obvious that they picked him up just to steal headlines.

RANGERS =
Old
12-20-2012, 08:48 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I thought it was pretty obvious that they picked him up just to steal headlines.
Well in that sense they surely succeeded.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:52 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
If that were the case, why wouldnt they be using him instead of McElroy?

Old
12-20-2012, 09:11 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
If that were the case, why wouldnt they be using him instead of McElroy?
Stealing headlines is one thing, its quite another to realize at least McE MAY be able to QB a team a bit, whereas Tebow is terrible.

Old
12-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
Stealing headlines is one thing, its quite another to realize at least McE MAY be able to QB a team a bit, whereas Tebow is terrible.
C'mon, the team and McElroy are terrible too.

If this was really about headlines, you dont think TEBOW TIME would generate them over the next couple of weeks?

Old
12-20-2012, 11:10 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Not so much "Football" substance in this one, but a read came up about us in an unconventional spot, so I figured I'd share...

MetLife Gearing Up for Role as Host of 2014 Super Bowl

Old
12-20-2012, 02:43 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Tebow is bad. Was done for the media. It's over. He cannot play QB at the nfl level. Mcelroy is better. So is Sanchez.

Old
12-22-2012, 03:19 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

I've always enjoyed the Jets and I don't mind at all sharing a venue with them, but if they bring in Michael Vick to represent our city, they are off the Christmas list!!!

Old
12-22-2012, 04:42 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Looks like Tuck won't be playing tomorrow.

I love JT but it's time for him to retire. Sad that a guy as talented as he was is done by 29 but it is what it is. He'll always be remembered as a great Giant.

Old
12-22-2012, 04:57 PM
park rangers
Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Looks like Tuck won't be playing tomorrow.

I love JT but it's time for him to retire. Sad that a guy as talented as he was is done by 29 but it is what it is. He'll always be remembered as a great Giant.
He is, by his own words, "mentally drained". It's sad because it seems he's lost the passion for football. He's moping around the field more than Eli when he throws a pick.

And he's having an even worse year than last.

Old
12-22-2012, 05:26 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yawk Ranguhs View Post
He is, by his own words, "mentally drained". It's sad because it seems he's lost the passion for football. He's moping around the field more than Eli when he throws a pick.

And he's having an even worse year than last.
Yeah. The guy has 2 rings and he's getting debilitated by chronic injuries, so I can understand why he's not as fired up as he used to be.

Put an end to an accomplished career before you start hating it or before an even more serious injury makes the decision for you.

Old
12-22-2012, 05:39 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I like Tuck but he's been vastly overrated for the majority of his career.

Old
12-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Agreed. I've always liked Tuck and I'll gladly induct him into the proverbial hall of very good, but I don't think he was ever elite. Umenyiora either, for that matter.

Jason Pierre-Paul last year, at age 22, beat both of their career highs in sacks.

Now I think JPP, if he was surrounded with younger and better talent on that line, could be closer to the elite level pass-rusher.

Old
12-22-2012, 05:54 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Tuck's best seasons were near the upper echelon of the league but he was never "elite", and most smart Giant fans realized that.

Even though he wasn't elite he was still one of the best in the game at his position. It'll be a sad day as a fan when Tuck hangs them up.

JPP already IS an elite pass rusher. Because Tuck has been a non-factor this year teams are double-teaming him and then throwing RB's to chip him when he gets passed that. Even though he only has 7 sacks on the year, he's still arguably the best DE in the league. His PFF numbers are nuts.

Old
12-22-2012, 06:00 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Yeah I've been watching closely and that poor kid is getting double teamed every single play and some plays the back stays in and takes him so it's like a triple team. Like I said, I think if we got improved the line and took some pressure off of him as the only threat, he could really shine.

Old
12-22-2012, 06:12 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Well the Gmen will most likely draft a past rusher in the first round.

12-22-2012, 06:21 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Tuck's best seasons were near the upper echelon of the league but he was never "elite", and most smart Giant fans realized that.

Even though he wasn't elite he was still one of the best in the game at his position. It'll be a sad day as a fan when Tuck hangs them up.

JPP already IS an elite pass rusher. Because Tuck has been a non-factor this year teams are double-teaming him and then throwing RB's to chip him when he gets passed that. Even though he only has 7 sacks on the year, he's still arguably the best DE in the league. His PFF numbers are nuts.
No. Just No. Not yet. Not while Jared Allen is still as good as he is. Down year this year. JJ Watt is that right now. He gets all those sacks and knocks down balls at an unreal clip. Mario Williams is still one of the best all around too. Julius Peppers is still a top guy as well. JPP has a way to go IMO to surpass these players. He has the skill set to, but he's not there.

Old
12-22-2012, 07:08 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
No. Just No. Not yet. Not while Jared Allen is still as good as he is. Down year this year. JJ Watt is that right now. He gets all those sacks and knocks down balls at an unreal clip. Mario Williams is still one of the best all around too. Julius Peppers is still a top guy as well. JPP has a way to go IMO to surpass these players. He has the skill set to, but he's not there.
JJ Watt is the only one on that list you can say who's better than JPP. Forgot about him for a second. However, over the past 2 years, JPP has been better than Allen, Williams, and Peppers. JPP isn't rushing the passer as well as he did last year but he's still doing a great job, and he's been one of the best run stoppers in the league. +

Old
12-22-2012, 07:12 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Agreed. I've always liked Tuck and I'll gladly induct him into the proverbial hall of very good, but I don't think he was ever elite. Umenyiora either, for that matter.

Jason Pierre-Paul last year, at age 22, beat both of their career highs in sacks.

Now I think JPP, if he was surrounded with younger and better talent on that line, could be closer to the elite level pass-rusher.
I actually think Osi is underrated

12-22-2012, 09:59 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
How so?

Old
12-22-2012, 10:45 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
How so?
He's never been a consistent difference maker. He's never really ever been the best passer rusher on his team. He made a name for himself in the first Super Bowl but has never really ever matched that kind of dominance. At least not for a prolonged period of time.

Old
12-22-2012, 11:51 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
He's never been a consistent difference maker. He's never really ever been the best passer rusher on his team. He made a name for himself in the first Super Bowl but has never really ever matched that kind of dominance. At least not for a prolonged period of time.
But how does that make him overrated?

He's always been rated below Strahan, Osi and JPP.

I mean, who overrates him? Before he was hurt he was one of the better pass rushers and tacklers in the game among defensive linemen.

Closed Thread