HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

NFL Thread VII: Cue the Mid-Season Slide

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-20-2012, 07:15 AM
  #976
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
I dont think their line of thinking was that far off. I mean the O line that first year was sick with D-Brick, Mangold, Faneca and Woody... the receiving corps of Cotchery, Holmes and Edwards was solid, and Thomas Jones/Greene were running hard. Scott was younger, Harris was playing well... it looked like they COULD have just been a QB away... of course thats no longer the case, lol.
I agree and maybe I should have worded what I said better. I find it funny that teams, like where the Jets are now, feel that adding a kid at QB right out of school is the answer when the rest of the team is a (if not "the") major problem.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 08:21 AM
  #977
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 14,640
vCash: 500
SportsCenter saying the Jets also plan on parting ways with Tebow this off-season. Not really surprising, just figured I'd share.

silverfish is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 08:31 AM
  #978
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
SportsCenter saying the Jets also plan on parting ways with Tebow this off-season. Not really surprising, just figured I'd share.
Truly one of the most baffling acquisitions in NY sports history

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 08:39 AM
  #979
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Truly one of the most baffling acquisitions in NY sports history
I thought it was pretty obvious that they picked him up just to steal headlines.

__________________

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 08:48 AM
  #980
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 14,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I thought it was pretty obvious that they picked him up just to steal headlines.
Well in that sense they surely succeeded.

silverfish is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 08:52 AM
  #981
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I thought it was pretty obvious that they picked him up just to steal headlines.
If that were the case, why wouldnt they be using him instead of McElroy?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 09:11 AM
  #982
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun
 
Cynical TyranT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: TX
Country: American Samoa
Posts: 4,027
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
If that were the case, why wouldnt they be using him instead of McElroy?
Stealing headlines is one thing, its quite another to realize at least McE MAY be able to QB a team a bit, whereas Tebow is terrible.

Cynical TyranT is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 09:15 AM
  #983
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
Stealing headlines is one thing, its quite another to realize at least McE MAY be able to QB a team a bit, whereas Tebow is terrible.
C'mon, the team and McElroy are terrible too.

If this was really about headlines, you dont think TEBOW TIME would generate them over the next couple of weeks?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 11:10 AM
  #984
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 14,640
vCash: 500
Not so much "Football" substance in this one, but a read came up about us in an unconventional spot, so I figured I'd share...

MetLife Gearing Up for Role as Host of 2014 Super Bowl

silverfish is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 02:43 PM
  #985
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs
 
mrjimmyg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,854
vCash: 500
Tebow is bad. Was done for the media. It's over. He cannot play QB at the nfl level. Mcelroy is better. So is Sanchez.

mrjimmyg89 is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 03:19 PM
  #986
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,654
vCash: 500
I've always enjoyed the Jets and I don't mind at all sharing a venue with them, but if they bring in Michael Vick to represent our city, they are off the Christmas list!!!

Machinehead is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 04:42 PM
  #987
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,688
vCash: 500
Looks like Tuck won't be playing tomorrow.

I love JT but it's time for him to retire. Sad that a guy as talented as he was is done by 29 but it is what it is. He'll always be remembered as a great Giant.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 04:57 PM
  #988
park rangers
Optimist
 
park rangers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Looks like Tuck won't be playing tomorrow.

I love JT but it's time for him to retire. Sad that a guy as talented as he was is done by 29 but it is what it is. He'll always be remembered as a great Giant.
He is, by his own words, "mentally drained". It's sad because it seems he's lost the passion for football. He's moping around the field more than Eli when he throws a pick.

And he's having an even worse year than last.

park rangers is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 05:26 PM
  #989
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yawk Ranguhs View Post
He is, by his own words, "mentally drained". It's sad because it seems he's lost the passion for football. He's moping around the field more than Eli when he throws a pick.

And he's having an even worse year than last.
Yeah. The guy has 2 rings and he's getting debilitated by chronic injuries, so I can understand why he's not as fired up as he used to be.

Put an end to an accomplished career before you start hating it or before an even more serious injury makes the decision for you.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 05:39 PM
  #990
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,802
vCash: 500
Awards:
I like Tuck but he's been vastly overrated for the majority of his career.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 05:51 PM
  #991
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I like Tuck but he's been vastly overrated for the majority of his career.
Agreed. I've always liked Tuck and I'll gladly induct him into the proverbial hall of very good, but I don't think he was ever elite. Umenyiora either, for that matter.

Jason Pierre-Paul last year, at age 22, beat both of their career highs in sacks.

Now I think JPP, if he was surrounded with younger and better talent on that line, could be closer to the elite level pass-rusher.

Machinehead is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 05:54 PM
  #992
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,688
vCash: 500
Tuck's best seasons were near the upper echelon of the league but he was never "elite", and most smart Giant fans realized that.

Even though he wasn't elite he was still one of the best in the game at his position. It'll be a sad day as a fan when Tuck hangs them up.

JPP already IS an elite pass rusher. Because Tuck has been a non-factor this year teams are double-teaming him and then throwing RB's to chip him when he gets passed that. Even though he only has 7 sacks on the year, he's still arguably the best DE in the league. His PFF numbers are nuts.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 06:00 PM
  #993
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,654
vCash: 500
Yeah I've been watching closely and that poor kid is getting double teamed every single play and some plays the back stays in and takes him so it's like a triple team. Like I said, I think if we got improved the line and took some pressure off of him as the only threat, he could really shine.

Machinehead is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 06:12 PM
  #994
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,283
vCash: 500
Well the Gmen will most likely draft a past rusher in the first round.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is online now  
Old
12-22-2012, 06:21 PM
  #995
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs
 
mrjimmyg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Tuck's best seasons were near the upper echelon of the league but he was never "elite", and most smart Giant fans realized that.

Even though he wasn't elite he was still one of the best in the game at his position. It'll be a sad day as a fan when Tuck hangs them up.

JPP already IS an elite pass rusher. Because Tuck has been a non-factor this year teams are double-teaming him and then throwing RB's to chip him when he gets passed that. Even though he only has 7 sacks on the year, he's still arguably the best DE in the league. His PFF numbers are nuts.
No. Just No. Not yet. Not while Jared Allen is still as good as he is. Down year this year. JJ Watt is that right now. He gets all those sacks and knocks down balls at an unreal clip. Mario Williams is still one of the best all around too. Julius Peppers is still a top guy as well. JPP has a way to go IMO to surpass these players. He has the skill set to, but he's not there.

mrjimmyg89 is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 07:08 PM
  #996
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
No. Just No. Not yet. Not while Jared Allen is still as good as he is. Down year this year. JJ Watt is that right now. He gets all those sacks and knocks down balls at an unreal clip. Mario Williams is still one of the best all around too. Julius Peppers is still a top guy as well. JPP has a way to go IMO to surpass these players. He has the skill set to, but he's not there.
JJ Watt is the only one on that list you can say who's better than JPP. Forgot about him for a second. However, over the past 2 years, JPP has been better than Allen, Williams, and Peppers. JPP isn't rushing the passer as well as he did last year but he's still doing a great job, and he's been one of the best run stoppers in the league. +

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 07:12 PM
  #997
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,802
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Agreed. I've always liked Tuck and I'll gladly induct him into the proverbial hall of very good, but I don't think he was ever elite. Umenyiora either, for that matter.

Jason Pierre-Paul last year, at age 22, beat both of their career highs in sacks.

Now I think JPP, if he was surrounded with younger and better talent on that line, could be closer to the elite level pass-rusher.
I actually think Osi is underrated

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 09:59 PM
  #998
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I like Tuck but he's been vastly overrated for the majority of his career.
How so?

GWOW is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 10:45 PM
  #999
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,802
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
How so?
He's never been a consistent difference maker. He's never really ever been the best passer rusher on his team. He made a name for himself in the first Super Bowl but has never really ever matched that kind of dominance. At least not for a prolonged period of time.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 11:51 PM
  #1000
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He's never been a consistent difference maker. He's never really ever been the best passer rusher on his team. He made a name for himself in the first Super Bowl but has never really ever matched that kind of dominance. At least not for a prolonged period of time.
But how does that make him overrated?

He's always been rated below Strahan, Osi and JPP.

I mean, who overrates him? Before he was hurt he was one of the better pass rushers and tacklers in the game among defensive linemen.

GWOW is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.