Notices

2012/2013 Prospects Thread

Old
12-16-2012, 12:09 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I think it may be to little to late for Wahl and the Flames. They have drafted so many more skilled players over the last 2 seasons that are Feasters guys and I don't really see where he fits into our plans. Just my thoughts.

Its hard not to recognize Gaudreau's accomplishments. The NCAA is a tough league and Johnny has been dominant not playing alongside Kreider. Nothing is a guarantee with prospects, but the Flames definitely appear to have 2 gems in Sven and Gaudreau.
He wasn't ever on Kreider's line which is most likely why he is getting some praise.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:52 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 500
I've been following Gaudreau a lot more this season, but I seem to remember him saying he played with Kreider a lot last year. Either way what he's doing this year is substantial and he deserves the praise.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 08:06 AM
Rolen
TBF

Quote:
I've been following Gaudreau a lot more this season, but I seem to remember him saying he played with Kreider a lot last year. Either way what he's doing this year is substantial and he deserves the praise.
He didn't.

Rolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:14 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
He played on the pp with him but he was on the second line and Kreider was on the first line.

Old
12-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Sec108

Quote:
My last argument for Sieloff would be that I think he reads and thinks the game quite well. The OHL is a different game than international hockey and hitting is one of his strengths and he is able to play to that in the league he plays in. I'm sure he could dial that aspect of his game down with not much difficulty, and focus on playing a solid game from the backend and chipping in a little from the point.

You are right about Seiloff, he is a very smart D man and the Flames are lucky to have him.You guys in Calgary are going to love this guy as much as we do here in Windsor.He is my fav Spitfire.

He has had to temper his big hits in the O because of dranonian poitically correct rules contrary to playing real hockey.But once in the NHL he will shine for sure.this kid is a throwback to old time hockey.A great all around player.He think he will play his game in the WJC but will be aware how far to take it.

Were so lucky in Windsor to watch a player of his caliber this season and hopefully next.

It will be nice to be able to see Hall one time and Seiloff the next on double header HNIC games when the NHL resumes.

Sec108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 12:12 AM
Noori

vCash: 700
Nice to hear about Sieloff from a Spits fan.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 02:07 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I am shocked to see Gaudreau so high but I love that he is getting some recognition for how well he has played over the past year and a half.
Lots of Flames prospects are getting recognized these days. It certainly is a welcome change of pace.

From Elliotte Friedman's most recent 30 Thoughts:

Quote:
26. I got a lot of requests on Sunday for updates on prospects. More of that than anything else. So I emailed two NHL guys who have great AHL eyes and asked them to let me know who they liked. They weren't shy. Both agreed on (NHL team in parenthesis): Nino Niederreiter (NYI), Tomas Tatar (DET), Jason Zucker (MIN), Justin Schultz (EDM), Oliver Ekman-Larsson (PHO), Richard Panik & Tyler Johnson (TB), Jake Gardiner (TOR).

27. Executive A said he could've done two or three players per team, but cut down to: Jordan Eberle (EDM), Brayden Schenn (PHI), Brock Nelson (NYI), Nazem Kadri (TOR), Justin Faulk (CAR), Gustav Nyquist (DET), Roman Horak, Sven Baertschi & Barry Brust (CAL), Robin Lehner (OTT) and Curtis McElhinney (CLB).

28. If you thought that wasn't enough, here's the rest of the list from Executive B: TJ Brodie (CAL), Jacob Josefson (NJ), Chris Kreider (NYR), Nathan Beaulieu (MON), Charlie Coyle (MIN), Calvin Pickard (COL), Slava Voynov (LA), Lane MacDermid (BOS), Jaden Schwartz (STL), Zemgus Girgensons (BUF), Quinton Howden (FLA), Ryan Johansen, Cam Atkinson, Jonathan Audy-Marchessault (CLB), Ondrej Palat, Alex Killorn, Cory Conacher and Mark Barberio (TB), Eric Tangradi, Joe Morrow, Brian Strait, Brian Dumoulin, Robert Bortuzzo and Simon Despres (PIT), Zach Redmond (WIN).

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Sean Monahan
Daz One

vCash: 50

Sean Monahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:20 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Given that Brust is playing solid in the AHL. Any one else have the thought that the flames should sign him and give him a shot to be the back up to kipper or a serviceable 1B if he plays well enough. Given our back up position is quite shaky, it could be an idea. Place Karlsson in the AHL with Irving and Taylor. Though it would create even more of a logjam in net, it's a thought.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:59 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
Given that Brust is playing solid in the AHL. Any one else have the thought that the flames should sign him and give him a shot to be the back up to kipper or a serviceable 1B if he plays well enough. Given our back up position is quite shaky, it could be an idea. Place Karlsson in the AHL with Irving and Taylor. Though it would create even more of a logjam in net, it's a thought.
Nope, I don't see it happening. Brust simply does not have a play-style that would effectively translate itself against superior opposition. He has been a strong AHL goaltender for a while now, so there is a reason he has never been given a look at the NHL level. I would be extremely surprised to see Brust play a game in the NHL, let alone for the Flames. He is a very competitive goaltender but lacks the technical skills to excel at the highest level.

With that said stranger things have happened in the past I suppose.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 01:22 AM
Sean Monahan
Daz One

Can he be like LaBarbera?

Old
12-18-2012, 09:16 AM
FLAMESFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Nope, I don't see it happening. Brust simply does not have a play-style that would effectively translate itself against superior opposition. He has been a strong AHL goaltender for a while now, so there is a reason he has never been given a look at the NHL level. I would be extremely surprised to see Brust play a game in the NHL, let alone for the Flames. He is a very competitive goaltender but lacks the technical skills to excel at the highest level.

With that said stranger things have happened in the past I suppose.
During the game on Sat the panel was talking about how Brust's style reminded them of Tim Thomas, and ofcourse we all know he didn't get a steady gig in the NHL until he was 31. Brust also has some real quirks during a game (after faceoffs in his zone he always taps his stick like 30 times)

Thomas is a freak and maybe shouldn't be used as an example, but I had said earlier that I think both Brust & Taylor have earned the right to try for an NHL job.

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 10:50 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
During the game on Sat the panel was talking about how Brust's style reminded them of Tim Thomas, and ofcourse we all know he didn't get a steady gig in the NHL until he was 31. Brust also has some real quirks during a game (after faceoffs in his zone he always taps his stick like 30 times)

Thomas is a freak and maybe shouldn't be used as an example, but I had said earlier that I think both Brust & Taylor have earned the right to try for an NHL job.
Id like to see Brust given a shot. Send Karlsson down or even trade him. Let Irving and Taylor fight for AHL starter.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 10:52 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Id like to see Brust given a shot. Send Karlsson down or even trade him. Let Irving and Taylor fight for AHL starter.
Not a bad idea especially in a shortened season (I man can dream)

Old
12-18-2012, 11:39 AM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. Would be nice to have a back up who can actually win a few games for once.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 11:44 AM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Granlund stops his 8 game no point streak

He has 1+1 v TPS, 2 period right now

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:00 PM
FLAMESFAN

Quote:
That is probably our biggest negitive of this lockout, not having the chance to see all these guys battle it out in a training camp. I don't know how many would have been there, but it would have be cool to see them all in a "goalie clinic". I don't like the idea of trading one or assigning one a job without giving them all the chance to show their stuff.

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Sean Monahan
Daz One

Ryan Culkin has 27pts in 33games with Quebec. He's also now 6'2" 185lbs

Damnnnnnnnnnn

Old
12-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Sean Monahan
Daz One

Might as well do an update on the 2012 class

Mark Jankowski (Providence College): 14GP 4G 4A 8Pts
Patrick Sieloff (Windsor Spitfires): 34GP 3G 6A 9Pts
Jon Gillies (Providence College): 15GP 1.95GAA .928sv%
Brett Kulak (Vancouver Giants): 24GP 4G 10A 14Pts
Ryan Culkin (Quebec Ramparts): 33GP 3G 24A 27Pts
Coda Gordon (Swift Current Broncos): 32GP 8G 18A 26Pts

Old
12-19-2012, 05:56 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post

Dammmmn, Jank is hovering around that .5 PG mark we were talking about before the season started.

Sieloff, is well Sieloff, he hits things so can't read into his offensive stats much.

Gillies, fantastic since being drafted. I was wrong about this guy.

Kulak, Culkin, Gordon all producing very well.

Good signs in the early going so far, thanks for the stats.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 12:10 AM
Sean Monahan
Daz One

Last edited by Sean Monahan: 12-21-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old
12-20-2012, 08:59 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Ryan Culkin has 27pts in 33games with Quebec. He's also now 6'2" 185lbs

Damnnnnnnnnnn

He was 5'9 and 135 lbs in his QMJHL draft year. He went undrafted. The next year he was 5'11 and 150 lbs. He was cut from Midget AAA and played Midget AA. Quebec drafted him in the 7th round in his 2nd year of eligibility. They didn't have much space on defense in 2010-11 but he had a strong camp so they decided to keep him. He nearly didn't play his first half-season but he was always in the gym. He was the 8th defenseman on the team but later one of them left and another got injured so he started playing regularly. He was never scratched again after this and finished the playoffs in the top 4. The next season in 2011-12 he was 6'1 and 176 lbs. He was the 3rd defenseman to be drafted in the NHL from his QMHL draft class. In the 2010 QMJHL draft, 34 defensemen were drafted before him.

15: 5'9, 135
16: 5'11, 150
17: 6'1, 176
18: 6'2, 185

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 09:14 AM
Zirakzigil

vCash: 100
Granlund had a pretty goal on the PP for Finland in the first against Canada. Was a nice one timer.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Gary83*

Quote:

Where's the love for Matt DeBlouw?!

Matt DeBlouw (Michigan State) 17GP 4G, 9A, 13Pts

Not alot of people talking about him but pretty impressive considering he was touted as a strong defensive forward who is good in the faceoff circle.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 11:14 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
Where's the love for Matt DeBlouw?!

Matt DeBlouw (Michigan State) 17GP 4G, 9A, 13Pts

Not alot of people talking about him but pretty impressive considering he was touted as a strong defensive forward who is good in the faceoff circle.
I honestly think he is was the biggest steal of them all he has been great in the NCAA.