HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Finland

Old
12-20-2012, 07:41 AM
helicecopter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
Lines for the Canada match:

Janne Juvonen
Eetu Laurikainen

Miikka Salomäki - Markus Granlund - Joel Armia
Olli Määttä - Mikko Vainonen

Teuvo Teräväinen - Miro Aaltonen - Juuso Ikonen
Juuso Riikola - Juuso Vainio

Thomas Nykopp - Robert Leino - Ville Järveläinen
Petteri Lindbohm - Esa Lindell

Matti Lamberg - Saku Salminen - Henrik Haapala
Henri Auvinen - Joonas Valkonen

To me these guys seem to be on the clear for making the team: Barkov, Ristolainen, Pokka, Hännikäinen (weird if its true) and Lehkonen (forgot about him)
I'm missing H.Ikonen in both that lineup and the supposed locks though

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 07:51 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
I'm missing H.Ikonen in both that lineup and the supposed locks though
Why should he be in either? There's still a game left.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 09:38 AM
heksagon

While the team looks really good on paper this year, I'm afraid that the coaching might hurt this team... again. I have no idea why the Finnish ice hockey federation (read:Kummola) doesn't give the U-20 team a proven winning coach.

Goaltending is another questionmark. While I believe this team is capable of winning gold, I just have a bad feeling about these two things.

heksagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Haite
x

Armia and Granlund looking pretty good together, so I'm warming up to that combination a bit. Perhaps wouldn't hurt to move Teräväinen alongside them and Salomäki between Aaltonen and Ikonen, as it would balance the lines slightly.

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

vCash: 50
Has Granlund been named captain for the full tournament?

Adirondack Flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Haite
x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Has Granlund been named captain for the full tournament?
Doesn't seem like he'll be wearing a letter. From the looks of it, Lindbohm with C, Määttä and Hännikäinen/Salomäki with A's.

Old
12-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
Armia and Granlund looking pretty good together, so I'm warming up to that combination a bit. Perhaps wouldn't hurt to move Teräväinen alongside them and Salomäki between Aaltonen and Ikonen, as it would balance the lines slightly.
Something needs to be done about tonight's 2nd line. The Blues duo could use a power forward and Teräväinen can play somewhere else, but I'm reluctant to move Salomäki there. He fits in just fine with Armia and Granlund.

I'm hoping they'll try another line combination in Saturday's game.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

vCash: 50
Quote:
Doesn't seem like he'll be wearing a letter. From the looks of it, Lindbohm with C, Määttä and Hännikäinen/Salomäki with A's.
I read elsewhere that he was wearing the C, I guess the person who said it mixed up the numbers. Thanks for the info.

Adirondack Flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 11:53 AM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Good win and I don't think anyone had a bad game

Will the players rested today play against USA?

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 12:14 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

My observations from the game...

It wasn't exactly a whole night's work for either of the goalies, but to my eye Laurikainen instilled slightly more confidence than Juvonen. He seems to have that Vehanen-like, very stoic style which still gets the job done surprisingly well. While one can't blame Juvonen fully for either of the goals he allowed, he still overplayed a little with them both.

Have to see how Korpisalo fares vs. USA, but right now I'd go with him and Laurikainen as the playing tandem.

Hard to say anything concrete about D. Tried to especially look into the DD contest behind Lindbohm, but neither Valkonen, Vainonen nor Auvinen showed up in good or bad. Which is probably just good, given what is expected of the player type.

Similar assessment about OD as well. Lindell and Vainio are battling for the last spot after Ristolainen and Pokka return to the lineup, but hard to say which one deserves it. I'm still leaning Vainio because he appears a little more versatile, but eh. Don't mind if the coaches call it different in the end.

Forwards. Armia + Granlund = Money. Especially against teams that don't forecheck as aggressively as Canada, those two are going to tear it up. Definitely the right call to keep the 93s together.

Below them, well... Aaltonen was good, and not simply because of the goal. He battled hard along the boards and was the only really visible guy below the first line. Was starting to click with Teräväinen, some nice passing between those two. Juuso Ikonen, both age and size showed here. May not be ready for this yet. I'd possibly replace him for a more physical player. Wouldn't mind seeing the surnamesake H.Ikonen tried there in the next game.

That Järveläinen goal actually worries me a little. Nice for "Bilbo" to score, and he's actually been very consistent with it (six goals in seven U20 games played this season), which is probably why is still on the camp, but he was mainly invisible otherwise. He doesn't appear to have much use beyond special teams, and we have players (mainly Pokka) to take over that slot in blueline he manned tonight. Given how we already have Teräväinen and likely Lehkonen as locks to make the team, I will definitely be left with my jaw agape if both him and J.Ikonen make it through the final cut.

And oh, they definitely need to do something about those faceoffs. Granlund was the only one who could draw in some (and even he left a little to be desired). Luckily Barkov should bring some relief to that, but Aaltonen or Teräväinen need to improve as well.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:19 PM
helicecopter

Quote:
not saying i would be against trying Teuvo there, but how would that balance the lines?
aside from kilograms, i mean.

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 12:20 PM
thomast

Salomäki-Granlund-Armia seems to be better than Granlund-Granlund-Pulkkinen was last year.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 12:25 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Salomäki-Granlund-Armia seems to be better than Granlund-Granlund-Pulkkinen was last year.
Many were actually calling for a MaG <-> Donskoi switch last year to create a more balanced top-six, but Raipe just wouldn't do it. Probably because he had a wet dream of turning the G bros into the Finnish Sedins or something.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
It's quite clear that three skilled midgets together without a workhorse isn't the best possible combo. Armia was just unbeatable there with his reach and strength. Can't wait what Barkov can do in his own line and Armia in his own. Both have benefited a lot playing all seasons against men in SM-Liiga.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Haite
x

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
not saying i would be against trying Teuvo there, but how would that balance the lines?
aside from kilograms, i mean.
The third line would improve defensively and get some grit, whereas the second line would get more of some playmaking ability. Might be worth mentioning that I still have a fetish of sticking Teräväinen or Barkov alongside Armia.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Mestaruus

Is there a Finland vs Sweden exhibition game too or is Finland only playing Canada & USA before the actual tournament?

Mestaruus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 12:48 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mestaruus View Post
Is there a Finland vs Sweden exhibition game too or is Finland only playing Canada & USA before the actual tournament?
No FIN-SWE game. Only FIN-CAN, SWE-USA and FIN-USA, SWE-CAN.

Have to wait 'til New Year's Eve to see that matchup.

Old
12-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast
Well, it usually helps when you actually have a system in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
According to this:
http://www.iltalehti.fi/smliiga/2012...62891_sm.shtml

Helminen will be back as the U20s head coach next season. Ugh. If we want a medal anytime soon, we'd better take it now.
It should be Tomek Valtonen's turn next year, without question. Marjamäki got the job after being Jortikka's assistant. Helminen was Marjamäki's assistant. So what's the problem? Valtonen even has better coaching resume than Helminen at this moment, let alone when Raipe got the job. Jokerit are on fire ATM and we shouldn't forget what he accomplished last year.

What's the point having a full time head coach if you hire an unqualified one?

Needles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 02:05 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needles View Post
The arrangement might not be so bad from a practical standpoint if Valtonen continues as an assistant, with Raipe more as a figurehead (though we naturally don't know that yet, so no need to get overly optimistic).

Of course, even it that comes to pass, it does nothing to amend the question presented. It'll simply be yet another Jutila-type sauna buddy deal Kummola likes to hand around. Just retire already, you corrupt hippo.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needles View Post
It should be Tomek Valtonen's turn next year, without question. Marjamäki got the job after being Jortikka's assistant. Helminen was Marjamäki's assistant. So what's the problem? Valtonen even has better coaching resume than Helminen at this moment, let alone when Raipe got the job. Jokerit are on fire ATM and we shouldn't forget what he accomplished last year.

I'd rather take Raipe at full time than Tomek at part time for one year.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Mestaruus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
No FIN-SWE game. Only FIN-CAN, SWE-USA and FIN-USA, SWE-CAN.

Have to wait 'til New Year's Eve to see that matchup.
All right. Thanks for the info. Better we don't let those Swedes injure our star players before the important game (because that is the only way they could win ).

Mestaruus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 02:38 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 2252
Anyone think Lehkonen will actually make the team?

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 02:46 PM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Lehkonen is lock in my books.

FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 02:54 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
He'd have to tank hard vs. USA to blow it at this stage.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Imbossibru

Quote:
Only Barkov has more points than Lehkonen this season in Sm-Liiga, so he is locked in for sure. I think its kinda funny that our top2 scorers from Sm-Liiga are both 95 born players.

Imbossibru is offline   Reply With Quote