HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Exhibition • Dec. 20 • Finland 3, Canada 2

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2012, 01:51 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
My God. Delusional. That had nothing to do with the point of the post at all.

Let me get this straight... you argument:

"Corrado has played in Russia before, therefore Corrado should have been on this team."

Guess I forgot when all these guys played in the superseries.
It didn't affect Corrado. Why is it affecting those two? Did you not know Corrado was on the OHL superseries team, too?

Top pairing with Hamilton to boot.

Old
12-20-2012, 01:55 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuuongo View Post
It didn't affect Corrado. Why is it affecting those two? Did you not know Corrado was on the OHL superseries team, too?
I don't think you're getting the point. They all played in Russia during the superseries, therefore thats not a factor. Secondly, this game wasn't even in Russia today, it was in Finland.

They couldn't have possibly adjusted to the time-change in a couple of short days. They also haven't played with each other in a real game in a long time, they just need to develop some chemistry before we can judge tehm.

It effects all players, and the Superseries has zero pressure. Canada lost collectively and noone batted an eye. This is a different ballgame, even as an exhibition.

Luuuongo > Steve Spott
Luuuongo> Hockey Canada
Corrado> Oulett & Wotherspoon

Honestly this is a ridiculous argument. It takes zero balls to second guess a decision after the fact. Stop cheering for the Canucks and start cherring for Team Canada.

Old
12-20-2012, 01:58 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redden View Post
I thought MacKinnon played well too
I think so too. He had a quiet, but solid game playing on multiple lines. One of our better forwards for sure.

Old
12-20-2012, 01:58 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

Quote:
I don't think you're getting the point. They all played in Russia during the superseries, therefore thats not a factor. Secondly, this game wasn't even in Russia today, it was in Finland.

They couldn't have possibly adjusted to the time-change in a couple of short days. They also haven't played with each other in a real game in a long time, they just need to develop some chemistry before we can judge tehm.

It effects all players, and the Superseries has zero pressure. Canada lost collectively and noone batted an eye. This is a different ballgame, even as an exhibition.

Luuuongo > Steve Spott
Luuuongo> Hockey Canada
Corrado> Oulett & Wotherspoon

Honestly this is a ridiculous argument. It takes zero balls to second guess a decision after the fact. Stop cheering for the Canucks and start cherring for Team Canada.
Let me get this straight, since I don't agree with one of their decisions that means I don't cheer for Canada?

Old
12-20-2012, 02:00 PM
topched

Quote:
Let me get this straight, since I don't agree with one of their decisions that means I don't cheer for Canada?
Instead of *****ing about Oulette and Wotherspoon's play in a single exhibition game, and whining about how Corrado should be there... start hoping those two improve so that we can win a Gold Medal.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:03 PM
40oz

How on earth did Corrado manage to pick up 29 PIM in only 5 games the World Junior Club Cup? Kid really must have had trouble adjusting...

Old
12-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Dasachtach
Bluenoser

MacKinnon was the only Canadian who had an zip to his step whatever. I hope he isn't the thirteenth forward.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:07 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Unnoticeable. unfortunately.

Maybe i was watching him a little too much, but Mackinnon stood out for me. Crashing the body and hard on the puck.
Not just you - I thought MacKinnon looked pretty solid, especially in the offensive zone. Showed some nice moves down low along the boards.

Drouin wasn't noticeable, but I wouldn't say that's an indictment on him as you could easily say that about more than half of the team today.

Apart from MacKinnon, the only guys that really showed flashes (in my eyes) were Nugent-Hopkins and Scheifle. Particularly on the PP, they created space for themselves, controlled the puck, moved it quickly and efficiently, etc. I would still hope they were playing at a reserved pace given that it's exhibition - this is a tournament those two in particular should be ready to eat alive.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domhnall Dubh View Post
MacKinnon was the only Canadian who had an zip to his step whatever. I hope he isn't the thirteenth forward.
Dunno why Drouin is getting top six minutes and Mackinnon is either the 13 forward or on the 4th like. Mackinnon is better and can play wing.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:10 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
How on earth did Corrado manage to pick up 29 PIM in only 5 games the World Junior Club Cup? Kid really must have had trouble adjusting...
Got a game misconduct on a hit.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:11 PM
luongo321

vCash: 50
Quote:
Got a game misconduct on a hit.
Tough Canadian kid!

Old
12-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Nash

Haven't seen the game...stupid PVR didn't record.

Most of the Canadian players haven't played a competitive hockey game for weeks. There was not much hitting in camp. They just travelled half way around the globe. Some players will be jet lagged. Really no need to overreact to a loss like some on here are. Personally, I'm glad they had both a penalty filled game and a loss. It's better to make adjustments now than later. Winning this tournament is never easy. There are six pretty good teams this year looking for a medal.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:19 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post

Most of the Canadian players haven't played a competitive hockey game for weeks. There was not much hitting in camp. They just travelled half way around the globe. Some players will be jet lagged. Really no need to overreact to a loss like some on here are. Personally, I'm glad they had both a penalty filled game and a loss. It's better to make adjustments now than later. Winning this tournament is never easy. There are six pretty good teams this year looking for a medal.
Agreed with every point you just made.

This was Oullet's first game since leaving camp, and anyone who watched the Red-White camp game knows the returning guys, especially Strome and Huberdeau, were just screwing around.

The other good news is that we dont have to start with a dangerous game, as I believe we play the US and Russia on the 30th and 31st, so there are still some 10 days for the guys to get into top form

Old
12-20-2012, 02:20 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Hamilton is good, really good.

I'm not sure if the Hamilton Rielly pairing is maximizing both their talents. I might consider pairing Harrington with one of them and Reinhart with the other.

We need to give them a few games to develop some chemistry before jumping on them tho.
I would split them up too, except for the PP.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:21 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:

Why are you singling out those two players anyway? If you want to blame anyone, point to the returning players in Hamilton and Harrington who were both undisciplined and underwhelming the entire game. Wotherspoon and Ouellet were far from the reasons we lost today.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:23 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Didn't get a chance to watch it boys, what went wrong?

Old
12-20-2012, 02:24 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Agreed with every point you just made.

This was Oullet's first game since leaving camp, and anyone who watched the Red-White camp game knows the returning guys, especially Strome and Huberdeau, were just screwing around.

The other good news is that we dont have to start with a dangerous game, as I believe we play the US and Russia on the 30th and 31st, so there are still some 10 days for the guys to get into top form
ya thats huge, looks like it will be a perfect build up, figure some stuff out in these games before and then put it to the test early on against 2 generally weaker teams (yes yes i know anything can happen but its fact)

Old
12-20-2012, 02:25 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Except I'm not. Unless you can prove me wrong.
I don't need to prove to you anything. I've seen your anti-Hamilton stance for awhile now and your comparisons to him being another Cody Franson. And now, according to you, he's " not even that good " and " not a smart player ". I think we all know the real reason why you feel this way.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:31 PM
slightlystewpid420

who started in goal for the fins? Was it korpisalo?

Old
12-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Sterling31
Takin' Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
I don't need to prove to you anything. I've seen your anti-Hamilton stance for awhile now and your comparisons to him being another Cody Franson. And now, according to you, he's " not even that good " and " not a smart player ". I think we all know the real reason why you feel this way.
Think it's the same reason leaf fans get pissed when everyone else makes a statement saying our prospects / players are junk, the worst player on the ice etc.

I can't speak for everyone but that's what i see all the time. Hamilton was no better than Rielly today, yet Morgan was the first name out of people's mouth. Both will be great players for their respected team, move on; the hate will always be there....it's not worth the effort; i need to realize that sometimes too.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
who started in goal for the fins? Was it korpisalo?
Nope. Juvonen started, but Laurikainen took his place in the 2nd period. My guess is that Korpisalo will play in Saturday's game.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Nash

Quote:

As a fellow Canucks fan, please stop. Sure Corrado could have been chosen over Wotherspoon, but he still would have been a seventh defenseman. Wotherspoon has great attributes to his game as well. It's one game. If you only watched the first SSS game you would think MacKinnon and Huberdeau were meh. You watch the second and they are superstars.

These guys have all just gone through a huge time zone change with no real game action for weeks. That's it. To suggest that Corrado would be immune to that is silly.

How about we cheer for and dissect the team we have here rather than those who didn't make it.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:38 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

They look tight. It seemed to me like the team was being Over-coached. I would suggest letting this kids go a bit. Of course now is the time to practice set plays, see what works and what doesnt.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:40 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:

We are all individuals, different things affect us differently.

Quote:
Sports Med. 2012 Mar 1;42(3):185-208. doi: 10.2165/11596850-000000000-00000.
Circadian disruption and remedial interventions: effects and interventions for jet lag for athletic peak performance.
Forbes-Robertson S, Dudley E, Vadgama P, Cook C, Drawer S, Kilduff L.
Source
Sport and Exercise Science Portfolio, School of Engineering, Swansea University, Swansea, UK.
Abstract
Jet lag has potentially serious deleterious effects on performance in athletes following transmeridian travel, where time zones are crossed eastwards or westwards; as such, travel causes specific effects related to desynchronization of the athlete's internal body clock or circadian clock. Athletes are particularly sensitive to the effects of jet lag, as many intrinsic aspects of sporting performance show a circadian rhythm, and optimum competitive results require all aspects of the athlete's mind and body to be working in tandem at their peak efficiency. International competition often requires transmeridian travel, and competition timings cannot be adjusted to suit individual athletes.

In this review, we describe the underlying genetic and physiological mechanisms controlling the circadian clock and its inherent ability to adapt to external conditions on a daily basis. We then examine the fundamentals of the various adaptation stimuli, such as light, chronobiotics (e.g. melatonin), exercise, and diet and meal timing, with particular emphasis on their suitability as strategies for competing athletes on the international circuit. These stimuli can be artificially manipulated to produce phase shifts in the circadian rhythm to promote adaptation in the optimum direction, but care must be taken to apply them at the correct time and dose, as the effects produced on the circadian rhythm follow a phase-response curve, with pronounced shifts in direction at different times.

.Experimental data concerning the effects of food intake and exercise timing on jet lag is limited to date in humans, and more research is required before firm guidelines can be stated. All these stimuli can also be used in pre-flight adaptation strategies to promote adjustment in the required direction, and implementation of these is described.

In addition, the effects of individual variability at the behavioural and genetic levels are also discussed, along with the current limitations in assessment of these factors, and we then put forward three case studies, as examples of practical applications of these strategies

PMID: 22299812
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22299812

Last edited by InjuredChoker: 12-20-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old
12-20-2012, 02:42 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

vCash: 50
Quote:

Quote:
As a fellow Canucks fan, please stop. Sure Corrado could have been chosen over Wotherspoon, but he still would have been a seventh defenseman. Wotherspoon has great attributes to his game as well. It's one game. If you only watched the first SSS game you would think MacKinnon and Huberdeau were meh. You watch the second and they are superstars.

These guys have all just gone through a huge time zone change with no real game action for weeks. That's it. To suggest that Corrado would be immune to that is silly.

How about we cheer for and dissect the team we have here rather than those who didn't make it.
These posts make me like you. Similar outlook on this game as me.

I also didn't watch the game (I'm at work) but I think it's wayyyy too early to panic over ONE *preliminary* game after weeks of not playing a real game.

Props to the Finns for sure, it sounds like they played hard and Canada made some dumb mistakes but there's no need to throw our team and it's selections under the bus.

Not even if we get to the gold medal game and throw the game away again will I turn on our team... I will be disappointed but I won't wish death on the boys

Closed Thread