Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tracking the Locked Out Jets

Old
12-20-2012, 01:44 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 758
Talking about Evander on Hockey Central right now.

wpgsilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 01:51 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
Talking about Evander on Hockey Central right now.
At work, synopsis would be much appreciated.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 02:21 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I was also referring to the Hainsey article, yes.

Lawless wrote some total hack pieces to start the 2011-12 season (and of course there was that ridiculous 'F' grade he gave the Jets at the quarter mark for a TSN piece), but I noticed he stepped his game up a bit. Maybe I'm just being charitable, but I found there was a stretch where I wasn't cursing and facepalming when I read his articles. Hell, I even found myself agreeing with him once in awhile.
He isn't always nuts and he is friendly enough via Twitter, but the way he mixes news and opinion really rubs me he wrong way. Opinions shouldn't be presented as fact, especially when you are a reporter That's my take on it anyways.

He had laid low for a while, but yeah... he has a propensity to troll.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 03:20 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
He isn't always nuts and he is friendly enough via Twitter, but the way he mixes news and opinion really rubs me he wrong way. Opinions shouldn't be presented as fact, especially when you are a reporter That's my take on it anyways.

He had laid low for a while, but yeah... he has a propensity to troll.
Fine and dandy but he may be writing what the general consensus of Winnipeg hockey fans feel, most of those I have talked to can't believe Kane was stupid enough to pull his latest stunt, read the comments in both the Freep and Sun articles on Kane, not many are apologizing for his tweet unlike here. Does anyone believe the season ticket fan base, TNSE or Mr Chipman liked seeing Kane flash his wad.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 03:56 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Fine and dandy but he may be writing what the general consensus of Winnipeg hockey fans feel, most of those I have talked to can't believe Kane was stupid enough to pull his latest stunt, read the comments in both the Freep and Sun articles on Kane, not many are apologizing for his tweet unlike here. Does anyone believe the season ticket fan base, TNSE or Mr Chipman liked seeing Kane flash his wad.
I really don't think most saw his wad or knew about it before the media blew it up.

I really don't think most care and the ones that don't won't say much.

Consensus or not, there is a difference between opinion writing and news writing. Lawless does both and often does them at the same time. This opinions and predictions presented as fact irk me, especially when the predictions are often wrong.

Old
12-20-2012, 04:33 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
At work, synopsis would be much appreciated.
Whoops sorry.
Not much was said of interest.
Kelly Moore was on the phone saying he didn't think it was anything more than immaturity. He did say however that TNSE wasn't thrilled about the picture.

Doug Maclane did say he was worried about Evander, and had a pessimistic view of him. He said as a GM it's a pattern of behaviour to be concerned about.

wpgsilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 50
Lol were still on Kane and his stacks ?! Damn these 1st world problems.

Check back in a few days I guess...maybe buff will post a picture if himself at a buffet that drives the nation crazy .p

Ziggy66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 10:34 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
I really don't think most saw his wad or knew about it before the media blew it up.

Consensus or not, there is a difference between opinion writing and news writing. Lawless does both and often does them at the same time. This opinions and predictions presented as fact irk me, especially when the predictions are often wrong.
Your right about Lawless on the whole, his opinion editorials are not what a sports journalist should be writing. On Kane though I think he is partly right but he (Evander) is young, immature and cocky but one day could become the superstar we hope for but unlike Lawless, I hope it is here in Winnipeg.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 11:15 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Your right about Lawless on the whole, his opinion editorials are not what a sports journalist should be writing. On Kane though I think he is partly right but he (Evander) is young, immature and cocky but one day could become the superstaro we hope for but unlike Lawless, I hope it is here in Winnipeg.
I agree with that and I imagine most would.

But...

To definitively say that Kane won't finish his contract here is beyond silly. Every situation is fluid and I can't imagine TNSE has made up their mind.

To state something like that along side inside information adds to the clutter.

Old
12-20-2012, 11:28 PM
Potrzebie

vCash: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy66 View Post
Lol were still on Kane and his stacks ?! Damn these 1st world problems.

Check back in a few days I guess...maybe buff will post a picture if himself at a buffet that drives the nation crazy .p
If anyone breaks that story, I'm sure it will be Lawless.

Potrzebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 05:47 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

A little DEL heads up:

Red Bulls Munich won again yesterday but without Wheeler in the lineup as he was suspended for one game after taking his 3rd major penalty last sunday. Stastny had 1 G and 2 A.
Wheeler will play on sunday against the last placed Düsseldorf EG. The game will be televised and streamed in HD at 11:30 AM EST (if I calculated correctly). I don't know if you guys can watch it because of IP limitations outside of germany but I'm just saying. You can try it (maybe you'll need a german or european proxy). I will post the link here.

Taking a look at the scoring race regarding NHL players in the DEL, the picture looks like this:

10. Danny Briere 18 GP 7 G 21 A 28 P
27. Christian Ehrhoff 27 GP 8 G 15 A 23 P
40. Jamie Benn 19 GP 7 G 13 A 20 P
51. Claude Giroux 9 GP 4 G 15 A 19 P
60. Marcel Goc 17 GP 4 G 14 A 18 P
68. Paul Stastny 11 GP 7 G 10 A 17 P
73. Dennis Seidenberg 24 GP 1 G 15 A 16 P
75. Blake Wheeler 12 GP 5 G 11 A 16 P
87. Alexander Sulzer 18 GP 2 G 13 A 15 P
173. Jason Pominville 5 GP 4 G 4 A 8 P
174. Jochen Hecht 3 GP 2 G 6 A 8 P

After 1 year without hockey, Hecht came back to his hometown Mannheim and has 8 Points in his first three games back on the ice. That's probably the most outstanding fact right now

GermanJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:15 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

http://www.servustv.com/cs/Satellite...DEL/DEL/Layout

this is the stream-link for Red Bulls Munich vs. Düsseldorfer EG

The stream is on the posted site, under "videos" and "DEL-Live" you just need to click on play. It's starting in 10 minutes.

As I said, I have no idea if it works for you guys in North-America.

Old
12-23-2012, 10:32 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
http://www.servustv.com/cs/Satellite...DEL/DEL/Layout

this is the stream-link for Red Bulls Munich vs. Düsseldorfer EG

The stream is on the posted site, under "videos" and "DEL-Live" you just need to click on play. It's starting in 10 minutes.

As I said, I have no idea if it works for you guys in North-America.
I see two German dudes talking a bunch of gibberish. I assume it works.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:44 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Is this a special ceremony, or do they do this before every game? This is crazy.

This ****ing crowd is intense.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:59 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Is this a special ceremony, or do they do this before every game? This is crazy.

This ****ing crowd is intense.
It's like a football game in there!

Two things I've noted during this game: a) I almost forgot how riduculously fast Wheeler can be, and b) it looks like Red Bull München is playing a team full of Ronald McDonalds - interesting colour scheme on Düsseldorfer EG

EDIT: Wheeler's had two breakaways in the 1st period.
EDIT: Beautiful feed from Wheeler from the half boards to the front of the net for a tip-in in the 2nd. Wheeler's got 2A so far this game.

Last edited by YWGinYYZ: 12-23-2012 at 11:56 AM.
YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 12:25 PM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Welcome to german hockey guys They don't make a difference and handle it like a football match.

*edit*

and the announced in the first intermission that Wheels and Stastny will definately stay until the end of the season (IF the lock-out stays, of course). They originally had contracts until today. Both will fly to NA for 1 week for the christmas holidays and will miss one or two games but will come back afterwards.

Old
12-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:

You are bagging on Lawless (who I can take or leave) which is fine by me for all I care. But IMO he is just continuing in the role that was formerly played by former Winnipeg Sun staffer Pat Doyle, who once made a living in this town stirring the nest of the Jets V1.0

As an aside, apparently Pat Doyle had a sex change and now writes under the name "Patti Dawn Swansson". True story, look it up on the internetz.

Now Patti Dawn Swansson is published by AIH, apparently(?), and is essentially in this article doing the same things that you accuse Lawless of.
http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2012/...-picture-money

Seems like a bit of double standard at play.

Oops.

Last edited by Gump Hasek: 12-23-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Did you guys purposely go out looking for someone with an even larger axe to grind than Lawless? 'Cause that person would be none other than Pat Doyle, I mean Patti Dawn Swansson, sorry.

Old
12-23-2012, 10:45 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Did you guys purposely go out looking for someone with an even larger axe to grind than Lawless? 'Cause that person would be none other than Pat Doyle, I mean Patti Dawn Swansson, sorry.
I don't know if she is the same as GL. I mean saying the media will drive him (and/or others) out of town is different than being the media that will drive him (and/or others) that will drive him out of town.

As for Patti, I disagree with her a lot. Like a lot a lot a lot, but she took up writing some interesting (and IMO quality) fan posts on the site, so we her the ability to add photos.

Agree or not, I see no harm in adding another perspective. I have always seen disagreement and discussion as a good thing.

Old
12-23-2012, 10:50 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
You are bagging on Lawless (who I can take or leave) which is fine by me for all I care. But IMO he is just continuing in the role that was formerly played by former Winnipeg Sun staffer Pat Doyle, who once made a living in this town stirring the nest of the Jets V1.0

As an aside, apparently Pat Doyle had a sex change and now writes under the name "Patti Dawn Swansson". True story, look it up on the internetz.

Now Patti Dawn Swansson is published by AIH, apparently(?), and is essentially in this article doing the same things that you accuse Lawless of.

Seems like a bit of double standard at play.

Oops.

...and for what it is worth, I don't dislike everything Gary does. I don't like his silly attack pieces on Kane, Burmi and Hainsey, but a lot his other stuff is fine. Then again I don't read anything Bombers, so maybe he is bad more than I know.

Old
12-24-2012, 12:25 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Pat Doyle used to write the worst hatchet jobs on the Jets, period, and continuously; makes Lawless appear like a great journalist by comparison. Doyle was easily the least objective sports journalist that I've ever read in this town.

Old
12-24-2012, 11:43 AM
hockey-brent

vCash: 500
Wow, check out the "Atlanta must share some of the blame for Kane" comment at the bottom, just posted this morning.

True or trolling?

hockey-brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 12:11 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey-brent View Post
Wow, check out the "Atlanta must share some of the blame for Kane" comment at the bottom, just posted this morning.

True or trolling?
He is a regular commenter, but sometimes he is a little bit out there IMO. Dunno how valid it is.

Old
12-24-2012, 12:11 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey-brent View Post

True or trolling?
link please?

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 12:28 PM
hockey-brent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
link please?
Sorry, it was mentioned a few times up above...

Here's another nasty one questioning whether Winnipeg has a race issue with Kane...

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2012/...witter-picture

hockey-brent is offline   Reply With Quote