NFL in Toronto - Terrible idea

Old
12-20-2012, 06:25 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
they just a few pieces away from a Cup team. Or so I'm told by Leaf fans.

WarriorOfGandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 06:46 AM
Ryan34222

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Toronto could easily support an NFL team. I have no idea why people think the city not suppoorting the Buffalo Bills means they couldn't support their own team.

Oh btw, who won the Grey Cup this year?
Well considering the only NFL team Toronto would get will be if the Bills move to Toronto you'd think there would be support, no?

Ryan34222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 06:53 AM
Ryan34222

Quote:

Haha.. "you're a Leafs fan!" is My favourite response to A Torontonian when they say " I hate the CFL cuz there's no talent.. "

Old
12-20-2012, 09:22 AM
The Man in White

vCash: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Show you care about the Bills and then we'll give you your own team

Toronto just doesn't care for NFL
Alright Roger.

Problem is, no one in Toronto gives a **** about the Bills. And no way in hell would they pay more to see them play. I'd rather watch the Chiefs.

The Man in White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 10:40 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dayvan Cowboy View Post
Relevance = none.
Actually, considering he said "Toronto can't even support a CFl team" it's quite relevant. A city that just won the Grey Cup can obviously support a CFL team.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 11:13 AM
TwistedWrister90

I don't blame people from Toronto for not giving a **** about the Bills games.

Outside of LA and maybe some other places, Toronto should be at the top of the list. Big population, lots of corporate $$$, good number of NFL fans, etc. But the Rogers Centre is a terrible stadium for the NFL

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 11:31 AM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:

The bills are terrible... Why go and watch them Get slapped. now if they were in the playoff hunt we wont be talking about this

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 12:05 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
We're talking about football here, not whatever the ******* the CFL is.

And, Wood is 110% right, what's the point of a home game if your home fans don't go. They make a lot of money for doing it and I understand that, but the money is the only benefit.

Did you read the OP. I don't like the CFL either.

Your 2nd comment makes no sense whatsoever since Toronto residents aren't Bills home fans. Whoever came up with the idea of playing Bills games in Toronto is a moron.
Quote:
no, but he seemed to allude that the Bills don't get support cause they aren't a perennial 14 game winner, but I doubt the Pats would get any better support either. Toronto just ain't a sports town except fort the Leafs, and even then, 2/3 of it are guys in suits who spend more time on their blackberries than watching the games
No, the Bills don't get support because they're from Buffalo not Toronto. The Bills aren't even close to being the most poopular team in Southern Ontario. Out of my roughly 25 friends/acquaitences that are NFL fans (not just casual fans), I can think of exactly one who cheers for the Bills. Everyone else cheers for team like Steelers, Packers, Raiders, Cowboys, Broncos, Pats, 49er's, Bears or even Detroit (well just myself). A lot of people flat out hate the Bills because their games are crammed down our throats every week.

You've obviously never been to a Leafs game if you think 2/3 of the crowd are suits. It's more like 2% of the crowd but keep on making up BS.
Quote:

Toronto loves the NFL. You literally have no idea what you're talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan34222 View Post
Well considering the only NFL team Toronto would get will be if the Bills move to Toronto you'd think there would be support, no?
That's pretty weak logic if you ask me.
Quote:
Haha.. "you're a Leafs fan!" is My favourite response to A Torontonian when they say " I hate the CFL cuz there's no talent.. "
The Leafs have some elite talent whether you want to admit it or not. The CFL doesn't have elite talent.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:37 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Actually, considering he said "Toronto can't even support a CFl team" it's quite relevant. A city that just won the Grey Cup can obviously support a CFL team.
It depends, the Coyotes have been a good team and with some luck could have made a run in the playoffs. That in itself doesn't mean Phoenix supports a NHL franchise very well.

In the leadup to the Grey Cup there were stories in the media about how nobody normally cares about the Argos and how there's basically a relatively small group of hardcore fans who's happy that at least during Grey Cup week other people in the GTA pay attention.

TheMoreYouKnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 01:19 PM
franfrey*

Quote:
The CFL doesn't have elite talent.
Cameron Wake. Warren Moon. Brandon Browner. Mike Vanderjagt. Ricky Williams (who sucked). Vince Ferragamo (who sucked). Joe Kapp. Joe Theismann. Brendon Ayanbadejo. Raghib Ismail. Doug Flutie............................................ ....... Whatever, you get the point.

There's a bunch of players who no doubt could have carved themselves good NFL careers had they been given a fair opportunity to succeed (Geroy Simon, Anthony Calvillo come to mind).

franfrey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 03:37 PM
Rocko604

Quote:

This.

I'm reading a lot of comments on TSN saying "We're not Bills fans", "Give us a winning team and we'll support it" etc.

Do they realize that if they get a team, it's more than likely going to be the Bills? If they can't support them now, they won't support them in the future.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:

1..That's pretty weak logic if you ask me.

2. The Leafs have some elite talent whether you want to admit it or not. The CFL doesn't have elite talent.
1.. hows it weak? the NFL has said that Southern Ontario is Buffalo's territory. thats right from Goodells mouth.

2. lol

Old
12-20-2012, 04:06 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
This.

I'm reading a lot of comments on TSN saying "We're not Bills fans", "Give us a winning team and we'll support it" etc.

Do they realize that if they get a team, it's more than likely going to be the Bills? If they can't support them now, they won't support them in the future.
But they need to have their "own team"!

Toronto Sports are cursed enough as is (other than the Argos)

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourface View Post

There's a bunch of players who no doubt could have carved themselves good NFL careers had they been given a fair opportunity to succeed (Geroy Simon, Anthony Calvillo come to mind).
No they probably couldnt but just because someone doesnt make NFL does not make them bad football players

Old
12-20-2012, 04:18 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

This thread is a joke. Another Toronto hate-fest by people who don't live here or have never stepped foot inside this city. We could easily support an NFL team, just because we don't give a rat's ass about the Bills isn't indicative of anything. First of all, we dislike Buffalo in general, second, the Bills have sucked for a long time and since they're not our team we have no allegiance to them, and third there are plenty of football fans who like many other teams like New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Indianapolis, etc. If we got Pats games here, we would sell out easily.

Just because we're not cheering for a team that sucks and has been forced down our throats does not mean we don't like Football. We can sell out any of the big 4 sports here no problem. Toronto is so diverse and many sports are popular, not just hockey.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 04:26 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...n-ever-before/

Quote:
Instead, after an early misstep (exorbitant ticket prices), a miscalculation (fans in Toronto like teams other than the Bills) and a misfit (those Bills have not made the playoffs since 1999, the NFL’s longest active drought), Toronto seems no closer to landing a team than it did when the agreement began five seasons ago. In some respects, it feels farther away — and not just for Williams, who will be making his Toronto series debut on Sunday.

One argument: Rogers fumbled Toronto’s best near-term chances of acquiring a team by letting the Bills stamp southern Ontario as part of its regionalization plan. The $9.75-million the Bills earned, per game, from the Rogers deal has been widely reported to be about double the revenue the team generated at home, in Orchard Park, N.Y.

Relocating a team to Toronto, then, would come at the expense of the Bills. (And moving the Bills, even as they haggle with government officials for a new lease and upgrades for the aging Ralph Wilson Stadium, would face a series of enormous hurdles. None the least of which would be competition from a waiting market in Los Angeles.)

“In 2008, I think there was a different environment,” said Greg Albrecht, who became the executive director of the Bills in Toronto series earlier this year. “I think there were some aspirations, but there certainly hasn’t been any active discussions regarding any kind of move at all.”

Old
12-20-2012, 04:39 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

You all know the Bills will likely go to Toronto as "their team" if the move happens, right? So show them some love.

Unlikely that Goodell will just form an expansion team out of nowhere

You're getting the Bills

Old
12-20-2012, 04:44 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
It depends, the Coyotes have been a good team and with some luck could have made a run in the playoffs. That in itself doesn't mean Phoenix supports a NHL franchise very well.

In the leadup to the Grey Cup there were stories in the media about how nobody normally cares about the Argos and how there's basically a relatively small group of hardcore fans who's happy that at least during Grey Cup week other people in the GTA pay attention.
Good point. Probably has to do with the fact that the CFL isn't popular in Ontario.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourface View Post
Cameron Wake. Warren Moon. Brandon Browner. Mike Vanderjagt. Ricky Williams (who sucked). Vince Ferragamo (who sucked). Joe Kapp. Joe Theismann. Brendon Ayanbadejo. Raghib Ismail. Doug Flutie............................................ ....... Whatever, you get the point.

Talking about guys who played in the CFL 20-30 years ago is pointless. Guys like Moon, Theisman, Ismail etc. would never go to the CFL today if they were just turning pro now. Vanderjagt had like 3 good years 10 years ago, whoopity do. Williams only played there because he was suspended by the NFL. Browner's not an elite NFL player but he is solid. Wake is an allstar in the NFL but he also only played two years in the CFL and none since 2008. Suggesting that Anthony Calvillo could've had a solid NFL career is just laughable.

So basically, the CFL might've had one player in the league this year who could be a good NFL player, if any.
Quote:
1.. hows it weak? the NFL has said that Southern Ontario is Buffalo's territory. thats right from Goodells mouth.

2. lol
1. Goodall's an idiot if he thinks that. Either way they're still not the Toronto Bills so why would you expect people to cheer for them.

2. You seriously think the CFL has as much talent as the Leafs do. Funny, I don't see any NFL pro bowlers playing in the CFL yet the Leafs have a few NHL allstars on their roster along with a few other above average players. The CFL might have a handful of players who could be starters in the NFl but that's about it. There's really nothing to argue here.
Quote:
No they probably couldnt but just because someone doesnt make NFL does not make them bad football players
It makes them a long ways from being elite and it makes them worse at football than anyone on the Leafs is at hockey. You CFL fans probably don't even realize that a lot of the best players that get cut from the NFL don't go to the CFL. They retire and get into coaching or something else where they can make just as much or more money than they would in the CFL. Some go to the Arena football instead as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
This thread is a joke. Another Toronto hate-fest by people who don't live here or have never stepped foot inside this city. We could easily support an NFL team, just because we don't give a rat's ass about the Bills isn't indicative of anything. First of all, we dislike Buffalo in general, second, the Bills have sucked for a long time and since they're not our team we have no allegiance to them, and third there are plenty of football fans who like many other teams like New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Indianapolis, etc. If we got Pats games here, we would sell out easily.

Just because we're not cheering for a team that sucks and has been forced down our throats does not mean we don't like Football. We can sell out any of the big 4 sports here no problem. Toronto is so diverse and many sports are popular, not just hockey.
Wow, a post that uses logic. I didn't think I'd see any other than mine in here. Thank you.

Old
12-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post

other than the Leafs hows the other teams doing in attendance? bottom half of each league?

NFL would be a like everything else not named Leafs.. out of the gates strong but fades fast

Old
12-20-2012, 04:50 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
other than the Leafs hows the other teams doing in attendance? bottom half of each league?

NFL would be a like everything else not named Leafs.. out of the gates strong but fades fast
1. The Blue Jays had huge crowds in the 90's when they were good. Attendence declined after years of sucking. I expect plenty of sellouts this coming season.

2. Please post these attendance stats. I'd love to see what other cities are in the bottom half. Or you just guessing that they're in the bottom half?

So are all the other teams in the bottom half of attendance, in the NBA & MLB, not able to support an NFL team as well?

Old
12-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

Quote:
1. The Blue Jays had huge crowds in the 90's when they were good. Attendence declined after years of sucking. I expect plenty of sellouts this coming season.

2. Please post these attendance stats. I'd love to see what other cities are in the bottom half. Or you just guessing that they're in the bottom half?

So are all the other teams in the bottom half of attendance, in the NBA & MLB, not able to support an NFL team as well?
Do you have any proof that NFL attendance would rise with a Toronto NFL team

Forgive me if I'm extremely skeptical

Given the Toronto curse...will fans still show up if the team fails to make the playoffs year after year?

Old
12-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:

1. Goodall's an idiot if he thinks that. Either way they're still not the Toronto Bills so why would you expect people to cheer for them.

because its basically the only chance TO had for a team to move their..

Old
12-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

Biggest fear with putting a team in Toronto is apathy

I have seen NO proof at all that Toronto loves the NFL other than anecdotal evidence from biased sources.

I am extremely wary that a move there would work until it's proven that Toronto cares about NFL. It would be a huge mistake in my opinion

Old
12-20-2012, 05:07 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:

Blue Jays had best in league attendance when good and a big shiney new state of the art stadium.. attendance faded fast, like one year after they won the WS fast. lol

yah guessing at bottom half.. ive seen the figures but dont remember exactly where Toronto sits but it hasnt been good for some time

Old
12-20-2012, 05:36 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Quote:
Winning a Grey Cup has nothing to do with being able to support a CFL team. That has to do with player personal and management.

The Ti-Cats and Argos were the only two CFL to be losing money last year and Toronto has the worst attendance in the league. That's not some revolution that the Argos aren't well supported by the city.

The NFL in Toronto would not work at any time in the near future
"Toronto doesn't support CFL because it wants the NFL"
"Toronto doesn't support NFL because we don't have true team of our own"
Can't wait to hear
"Toronto doesn't support their NFL team because they don't win every year"

Not a football city

WinterEmpire is online now   Reply With Quote