HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Poll : Most Canadians don't care if NHL comes back

Old
12-20-2012, 12:58 AM
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

vCash: 500
Most Canadians don't care if the NHL comes back?

What a way to frame the results.

58% don't care? Does that mean 42% care? Because 42% is a huge number any way you look at it. Consider: a large % of women, over 50% of the population, don't follow professional sports closely if at all. 42% is indeed impressive when you consider a large % of the population have a marginal interest in sports.

MAROONSRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I hear a lot of guys talk big, but once that coffee break or water cooler conversation starts talking about the local NHL hockey club, people will pick back up.

Listen, I too am upset about the greed, but I didn't start watching hockey as a kid because I felt the collective bargaining and the economics of the game were interesting and important to my moral perspective, I watched it because it's flat-out a fun game to play and watch.

Sure hockey's hockey. But how many news papers report the junior team or AHL franchise? How many highlights have KHL videos? The coffee break is spent talking about the NHL because that's what's shoved down our throats.

How can I follow a team that has no coverage? I follow the team that CAN be followed. It's easy. Everything from a click on the computer, to turning on the T.V, to picking up a local paper in Timmy's enables me to follow the local NHL club.
Can you understand not everyone lives in smalltown alberta? In big cities there are other things to do. Canada is not a monolith. Some people are watching the CFL others like myself follow the US big 3. Canada demographics are changing. Canada will come back, but not like last time.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 10:06 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Nike commercial, response to NHL lockout, geared to Canadians and hockey fans (everywhere).

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 01:18 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Can you understand not everyone lives in smalltown alberta? In big cities there are other things to do. Canada is not a monolith. Some people are watching the CFL others like myself follow the US big 3. Canada demographics are changing. Canada will come back, but not like last time.
Even still. Local T.V channels, radio, internet and newspapers both big and small report NHL hockey heavily. There's no CBC's football night in Canada. If you listen to "Fan" brand radio, it reports NHL stuff more than anything else.

Look at TSN. There's no hockey, but STILL we see a new article on their homepage about NHL news. Each day of the lock-out has a new freeking page.

Big cities and small, it's hockey in Canada. I can be in Vancouver getting more new reports on Schneider comments on the lock-out than any news on the Sunday NFL games. I can be in Calgary getting picking up a newspaper with the first sports page reporting on Flames prospect development before I can read a tiny snippet article on the Jay's pitching issues.

I'm just being honest about the Canadian culture regarding the NHL.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 02:45 PM
TOML

I certainly don't care and I will also not care about any silly marketing ploy the NHL plans to use to try to get my attention again. Not a dime of my money is going to the NHL from here on out.

TOML

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
I can only hope we let the players (and the league) know that the customer is not to be taken so lightly.

I don't think that the league and players owe the fans much, but they need us regardless.

We need to do the same thing Americans did after the MLB player strike: stop going and show them that we are not be triffled with so god damn often!

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Yobbles
Devils/Hawks

B.S.

The ACC will be sold out for every game once the Leafs come back, it will be like the lockout never happened.

Yobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Even still. Local T.V channels, radio, internet and newspapers both big and small report NHL hockey heavily. There's no CBC's football night in Canada. If you listen to "Fan" brand radio, it reports NHL stuff more than anything else.

Look at TSN. There's no hockey, but STILL we see a new article on their homepage about NHL news. Each day of the lock-out has a new freeking page.

Big cities and small, it's hockey in Canada. I can be in Vancouver getting more new reports on Schneider comments on the lock-out than any news on the Sunday NFL games. I can be in Calgary getting picking up a newspaper with the first sports page reporting on Flames prospect development before I can read a tiny snippet article on the Jay's pitching issues.

I'm just being honest about the Canadian culture regarding the NHL.
Thing is that's because that's out west. They don't lead off the 6pm report with hockey not even in Montreal. Only CBC and TSN are drowning on about this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobbles View Post
B.S.

The ACC will be sold out for every game once the Leafs come back, it will be like the lockout never happened.
The suits will ensure that

Old
12-20-2012, 05:36 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobbles View Post
B.S.

ACC sellouts don't mean Canadians aren't going off the NHL and hockey. Season tickets have been largely corporate-bought, and there is some sentimental momentum around hockey. But ask the Bay Street exec of tomorrow if he wants his perks package to include a table at Barberian's or a seat at the ACC and we'll see.

Last edited by JLP: 12-20-2012 at 08:34 PM.
JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 06:55 PM
MilanKraft

Who cares what they say, they'll be back to buying tickets as soon as the NHL comes back.

It has been proven.

MilanKraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Fat Jughead

Probably true. But most Canadians aren't even hockey fans so who gives a flying **** what they think. Poll paying Canadian hockey fans and then get back to us. Even then, I won't believe what they say. We're probably the most bi-polar fans in the history of sport. All will be forgiven once they're playing again. Can't speak for the American fan tho.

Fat Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
ACC sellouts don't mean Canadians aren't going off the NHL and hockey. Season tickets have been largely corporate-bought, and there is some sentimental momentum around hockey. But ask the Bay Street exec of tomorrow if he wants his perks package to include a table at Barberian's or a seat at the ACC and we'll see.
He would.

That's what that guy means by sell out though. The real indicator will be the upper deck.

Old
12-22-2012, 12:27 AM
WingsFan95

Once again, hockey is not the NHL.

The NHL is a corporation that offers one option for hockey enthusiasts to be entertained with product of hockey.

Canada has a very healthy minor league system. In southern ontario alone there's a dozen minor league teams and they all receive fair attendance.

The NHL isn't making many of us cry right now....

In Ontario it's basically Leafs fans and there aren't as many as there were because the Leafs have sucked for a long time now. I personally cheer for Detroit, so the NHL really applies to me maybe 1-2 times a year when I make the drive down to Windsor.

WingsFan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 08:39 AM
LSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

Nike commercial, response to NHL lockout, geared to Canadians and hockey fans (everywhere).
You can take away my sticks, take away the rinks, even Canada !, but you cant take away my 8 million signing bonus.

T: Brad Richards

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 09:12 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
I care.

Sure I enjoy watching my Kitchener Rangers on TV and have enjoyed watching the KHL (when I've actually been up in time to catch Malkin play for Magnitogorsk) online...but it's just not the same.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 01:57 PM
Wingsfan2965*

80% of those 58% are full of **** and will be back within three years.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
You can take away my sticks, take away the rinks, even Canada !, but you cant take away my 8 million signing bonus.

T: Brad Richards
I did have to laugh when the one girl says, I'll just go to Russia.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Melrose Munch

The echo chamber here is ridiculous.

Last edited by Melrose Munch: 12-22-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old
12-22-2012, 03:57 PM
ckg927

vCash: 400
Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Fans are more frustrated this time...rightly so...

Great job by Gary and the Don...time for one to go to the NBA and the other off to the NFL...
No, the correct answer is for both of them to get the HELL out of pro sports and NEVER darken them again.

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

83% of people know that 74% of statistics are made up and that 68% of people lie 81% of the time.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 04:18 PM
CorbeauNoir

Not that I contributed much financially towards it in the first place but I'll probably end up watching the NHL again when they return playing if only because I find the other big three sports boring as hell to watch.

CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

It's all bluster. When the league returns Canadians will come crawling back like lemmings.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 09:16 PM
NeelyWasAWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
It's all bluster. When the league returns Canadians will come crawling back like lemmings.
Keep telling yourselves that. People have alot more respect for themselves and their money than you're giving them credit for.

NeelyWasAWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:37 AM
limite*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
It's hard to believe that anyone would be foolish enough to disagree with this. The other thing that people seem to forget is that NHL teams make most of their money selling seats to corporations, who get tax breaks for the cost. They aren't going anywhere.

limite* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:40 AM
limite*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Most of this country does not care for team sports. That is a known fact.
It s a known fact that saying, "It's a known fact" does not make it a fact.

limite* is offline   Reply With Quote