HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Exhibition • Dec. 20 • Finland 3, Canada 2

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Nordic*

vCash: 500
Does Finland have a great team this time around, or what happened here?

Old
12-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Agreed with every point you just made.

This was Oullet's first game since leaving camp, and anyone who watched the Red-White camp game knows the returning guys, especially Strome and Huberdeau, were just screwing around.

The other good news is that we dont have to start with a dangerous game, as I believe we play the US and Russia on the 30th and 31st, so there are still some 10 days for the guys to get into top form
You are right. Oulette would be the most rusty. Also, chemistry takes time to develop. You need to find it in game action, as practice alone won't do it.

The host nation couldn't set up those two final games any better to give them an advantage. I hope TC finds a way to get refueled for the Russia game because you know they will leave everything on the ice against USA the day before.

Old
12-20-2012, 03:52 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Hamilton is good, really good.

I'm not sure if the Hamilton Rielly pairing is maximizing both their talents. I might consider pairing Harrington with one of them and Reinhart with the other.

We need to give them a few games to develop some chemistry before jumping on them tho.
If they don't look better in the next game I hope that Spott at least tinkers a bit with the top pair. Having Hamilton deep in the zone with Rielly back high is not a proper use of assets. I would like to see Hamilton - Ouellet as a great all around pair, with Rielly and Harrington as a classic pairing of offence and defence. Rielly and Hamilton are then free to attack the opposition, and the Hamilton - Ouellet pair could function very well in a shutdown role if needed.

Old
12-20-2012, 03:55 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
If they don't look better in the next game I hope that Spott at least tinkers a bit with the top pair. Having Hamilton deep in the zone with Rielly back high is not a proper use of assets. I would like to see Hamilton - Ouellet as a great all around pair, with Rielly and Harrington as a classic pairing of offence and defence. Rielly and Hamilton are then free to attack the opposition, and the Hamilton - Ouellet pair could function very well in a shutdown role if needed.
Rielly and Reinhart should be tried.

Old
12-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
They have a very strong team, the best team I can remember of hand in the last 10 or so years.

Old
12-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Rielly didn't have a minus, Murphy did. I'd argue Reinhart was the best defender this game. But obviously, those who call the player of the game go with the flashiest guy. I hated the powerplay, Hamilton would always be the one to take the puck up.

Btw, where were you before this game when you were so confident Murphy wouldn't start as the 7th defenceman. But now that he is player of the game, you can't stop bragging.
They didn't pick the flashiest player, they picked Canada's best defensemen today. A minus is irrelevant, anyone who watched the game would say Rielly and Hamilton were worse defensively? Are you disputing this or are you just listing stats?

And Murphy didn't start as the 7th defensemen. I don't know why TSN listed him as that, it was clear Wotherspoon was the 7th defensemen.

Old
12-20-2012, 04:27 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Could someone who watched the whole game give an assessment of Ouellet? Also who was he paired with? TOI?

Old
12-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Could someone who watched the whole game give an assessment of Ouellet? Also who was he paired with? TOI?
Harrington, probably 20+ minutes, a lot on the penalty kill because they took so many ****ing penalties.

I don't think he was bad, but him not playing in awhile was evident.

Old
12-20-2012, 04:46 PM
newfy

Quote:
Yeah he had a bad turnover but you already know that he missed a couple weeks before camp without playing a game with his ankle sprain and then didnt play in camp at all. Threw a few hits and looked good defensively with some edge to his game. I know for a fact he played the most of any player in the first period and I'm guessing he played the most all game

Overall I was happy with his play given the injury, lack of playing, jet lag and the reffing they had to tiptoe around. Harrington was his partner but they shook it up a bit near the end

Old
12-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
They didn't pick the flashiest player, they picked Canada's best defensemen today. A minus is irrelevant, anyone who watched the game would say Rielly and Hamilton were worse defensively? Are you disputing this or are you just listing stats?

And Murphy didn't start as the 7th defensemen. I don't know why TSN listed him as that, it was clear Wotherspoon was the 7th defensemen.
So I guess I guy who got Canada's first goal of the game and was a strong defensive presence isn't better than a guy who had some good puck pressure and control but ultimately led to nothing productive offensively.

I don't know why your goal would be to have a player not as bad as another player defensively. They were worse defensively in terms of giving up quality chances, but if you seriously think that this is the way Murphy should play on a good day then you are selling him short. I am not satisfied with any of the defenders game today except maybe Reinhart and you shouldn't be either.

Btw, he did start as the 7th dman. Harrington and Ouellet went out on the first shift, than Rielly and Hamilton and than Reinhart and Wotherspoon. Murphy rotated with Wotherspoon after and then the D pairings change. Look at the game again.

Last edited by Atomos2: 12-20-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old
12-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
So I guess I guy who got Canada's first goal of the game and was a strong defensive presence isn't better than a guy who had some good puck pressure and control but ultimately led to nothing productive offensively.

I don't know why your goal would be to have a player not as bad as another player defensively. They were worse defensively in terms of giving up quality chances, but if you seriously think that is the way Murphy should play on a good day then you are selling him short. I am not satisfied with any of the defenders game today except maybe Reinhart and you shouldn't be either.

Btw, he did start as the 7th dman. Harrington and Ouellet went out on the first shift, than Rielly and Hamilton and than Reinhart and Wotherspoon. Murphy rotated with Wotherspoon after and then the D pairings change. Look at the game again.
Here's another instance where I gotta question your reliability. So what that Reinhart had a goal? Means he scored a goal. It's great but it doesn't mean he was better. Same with the stats you brought up in your last. Are you going to bring up anything besides that? Overall, both offensively and defensively, Murphy was Canada's best defensemen, and since no forwards stood out, he was Canada's best player.

And no he didn't start as 7th, I really don't know what you're talking about. Generally the 7th defensemen play far more than the 6th defensemen, on not only powerplay but even strength as well.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Generally the 7th defensemen play far more than the 6th defensemen, on not only powerplay but even strength as well.
Wouldn't that make them.... the 6th defenseman then?

Old
12-20-2012, 05:28 PM
The Beyonder

Ryan Murphy is a great d-men, the guy has the ability to make great rushes, but he needs to just temper it down a wee-bit. On more than one occasion he literally tried to force himself threw the Finnish team, he'd come up to the finnish blue line and eventhough he is trapped by the finnish defense, he still tries to go through them and I'm just shaking my head. There was an instance at the end of the game where he could have just passed it to his d-partner, and could have opened space for him or for the forward but he decided to hang on and try another rush which lead to a turnover and the Finnish team having a long possession in Canada's zone.

Murphy would serve himself better to use his teammates more and get into open areas than to just rush it up end-to-end when those just rarely work. To me, as much of a good guy Murphy is, the way he plays just screams bad team-mate on the ice. I felt Reinhart was better tonight than Murphy. Just my opinion though. When Murphy is on, he is great, but the way he plays is rarely a comforting style; he is all about the rushes.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Definitely a part of it - the Finns came out strong, played a good, hard, consistent game and showed off their skill as well. That first goal (Granlund?) on the one-time slapper right into the top of the net was perfectly executed.

The Canadians looked a little discombobulated and slow (both in terms of skating as well as puck movement). Once they get their legs under them and start gelling together a bit, I expect the efforts put forth to improve.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits
Wouldn't that make them.... the 6th defenseman then?
That's the point.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:33 PM
Everlasting

This is amazing. If i wouldnt be to tired, i would have opend a Kharu in your honor neighbors

Love reading the excuses as always

Old
12-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

Quote:
Here's another instance where I gotta question your reliability. So what that Reinhart had a goal? Means he scored a goal. It's great but it doesn't mean he was better. Same with the stats you brought up in your last. Are you going to bring up anything besides that? Overall, both offensively and defensively, Murphy was Canada's best defensemen, and since no forwards stood out, he was Canada's best player.

And no he didn't start as 7th, I really don't know what you're talking about. Generally the 7th defensemen play far more than the 6th defensemen, on not only powerplay but even strength as well.
1. I think you mean credibility.

2. Did you watch the game? Because according to you, there apparently wasn't one thing Murphy did wrong in that game. And if that was true, I would have expected a bit more offense seeing that you have built him up as this incredible offensive threat that doesn't show up on the stats sheet because apparently stats aren't important. I dunno about you but I'd prefer atleast one point. We prolly would have atleast tied the game if Murphy could have been on the stats sheet once.

3. Murphy is the player of the game of the losing team. If you want to rejoice in that go ahead, but I certainly hope that's not the best he can offer at the international level.

4. I don't understand what you're saying in you're last statement. Are you saying that Murphy was the 7th because he played more, or that he wasn't the 7th and didn't play more? Anyway, he started out as the 7th dman, I didn't say he was the seventh dman for the whole time. Mark Masters watched the team Canada practices in Finland and showed the practice lines to TSN. That's why they had Murphy as the 7th dman.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?id=12004

Old
12-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Redden

I definitely did not like Murphy's game today, I thought he was probably our worst defensemen. There is lots of potential there though once he establishes some chemistry with the rest of the team.He seemed really our of sync as all of his bad plays today seemed to be him just hanging on and hanging on to the puck and then either turning it over or dumping it in. Once he gets more comfortable I see him being better able to distribute the puck and not have to hang onto it so much.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
That's the point.
...Alrighty then

Old
12-20-2012, 05:39 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

Quote:
He played 19:45.

http://bigdata.lahtis-enterprises.co...850fbd2becbe3b

Old
12-20-2012, 05:40 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

This is not your father's dream team. Or, given the comparisons to 2005, this is not your older brother's dream team.
As many of us have said, anyone expecting THIS team to romp will be disappointed. Having said that, I still think this team wins Gold.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

Quote:
Finns played a great game, but Canada scored 2 goals 36 seconds apart. The potential for mental breakdowns is there.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

http://bigdata.lahtis-enterprises.co...850fbd2becbe3b

It looks like Murphy was starting as the 7th dman on here too. But it's a moot point since prolly the d pairings are changing anyway.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:54 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
1. I think you mean credibility.

2. Did you watch the game? Because according to you, there apparently wasn't one thing Murphy did wrong in that game. And if that was true, I would have expected a bit more offense seeing that you have built him up as this incredible offensive threat that doesn't show up on the stats sheet because apparently stats aren't important. I dunno about you but I'd prefer atleast one point. We prolly would have atleast tied the game if Murphy could have been on the stats sheet once.

3. Murphy is the player of the game of the losing team. If you want to rejoice in that go ahead, but I certainly hope that's not the best he can offer at the international level.

4. I don't understand what you're saying in you're last statement. Are you saying that Murphy was the 7th because he played more, or that he wasn't the 7th and didn't play more? Anyway, he started out as the 7th dman, I didn't say he was the seventh dman for the whole time. Mark Masters watched the team Canada practices in Finland and showed the practice lines to TSN. That's why they had Murphy as the 7th dman.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?id=12004
They mean the same thing in this context.

I'm not sure how I respond to the second. According to you I said something. Mind finding a quote that proves I said that? I think that's how I've got to deal with a strawman now, because pointing it out doesn't stop people from doing it.

I don't see your point. Does being player of the game on a losing team make his performance less impressive? You can have a strong performance (Murphy did) and lose, doesn't make it not a strong performance.

And it really doesn't matter what lines TSN gave, there is no lineup card like in baseball where you can check where a player is going to play. If he started out as the 7th defensemen he became a top 6 defensemen as soon as the game started. Murphy was getting more icetime from the get go.

Old
12-20-2012, 06:12 PM
newfy

Quote:

He did start as the seventh, he played as the seventh dman and PP specialist just like everyone thought he would except you lol.

And what offense did Murphy generate today? He wasnt brutal defensively but he wasnt great by any means and was probably the second worst defensively today (I thought Rielly had a rough go today). But where did he create one chance? He had a few rushes from his own end where he ended up dumping it in or losing it in the corner but nothing that really generated offense. Reinhart on the other hand scored a goal (offense that matters) and was a rock defensively. You always love to point out how great Murphy is offensively but then he doesnt produce, just like today where he was pulling spinoramas to put the puck into the corner. Made him look flashy and offensively talented but it leads to no actual points, just flashy play.

Closed Thread