HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2012, 05:10 AM
damacles1156

vCash: 500
The only thing I don't like about 48 game season is; it does not leave room for error.

One bad streak will sink your team. Lets hope Sutter has them mentally prepared for a short season.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Axl Rhoadz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
The only thing I don't like about 48 game season is; it does not leave room for error.

One bad streak will sink your team. Lets hope Sutter has them mentally prepared for a short season.

Exactly, doesn't bode we'll for a streaky team like the Kings. Lets hope it doesn't take the final game of the season to decide their fate like the 94-95 season.

Old
12-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
Exactly, doesn't bode we'll for a streaky team like the Kings. Lets hope it doesn't take the final game of the season to decide their fate like the 94-95 season.
They won the Stanley Cup last season...or perhaps you didn't notice.

And as for "streaky team" goes, they went 29-9-3 in their last 41 games. 41 games does not constitute a "streak," it is a sustained, solid run worthy of champions.

12-20-2012, 01:54 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Lockout isn't resolved yet? Color me shocked! I laid the best bet of my life last night. Unfortunately I couldn't get anything more than $10 on it. I bet $10 that there would not be an NHL season so I stand to win regardless. Just wish it was for more than $10.

Old
12-20-2012, 03:09 PM
nocturn

Not that it matters but my gut tells me this season is toast and no matter what I hear or read, that feeling remains.

...carry on...

Old
12-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Axl Rhoadz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
They won the Stanley Cup last season...or perhaps you didn't notice.

And as for "streaky team" goes, they went 29-9-3 in their last 41 games. 41 games does not constitute a "streak," it is a sustained, solid run worthy of champions.
Well then Ron, something tells me they played pretty opposite of that the previous 41 games....if I have it correct, didn't it take them up until the 2nd to last game of the season to clinch a playoff spot? The only sustained play they had that was 'worthy of champions' started game 1 of the playoffs....don't kid yourself.

Old
12-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Johnny Utah

Loved Warren Rychel, hated to see him go. That was an awful season. Plus that was when New Jersey style of clutch and grab was in full effect, the NHL became boring.

Old
12-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturn View Post
Not that it matters but my gut tells me this season is toast and no matter what I hear or read, that feeling remains.

...carry on...
I had a dream last night that I was fornicating with a young Jennifer Lopez and when I got done ESPN was on and there way Steve Levy to announce the end of the lockout. I thought for a second it was real when I woke up but then I realized there is no chance hell the lockout was over.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:09 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

So when's the verdict?

Old
12-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

More games are cancelled. Son of a *****.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...ore-games.html

Old
12-20-2012, 05:44 PM
KingsFan7824

At least it's over one way or another by this time next month. It's either awkwardly start caring again, or hopefully not even clicking on anything related to hockey probably well into the summer, just to see if Fehr is still doing what he does. Which is basically nothing.

January 2014 if we're lucky.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:48 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I know that allot of us here will think that the league canceling games through to the 14th of January looks like it will cause an end to the season and preclude them from starting play any sooner and you may be right but, this is also a way to force negotiations and not only had been discussed and reported as a probability (prior to the NHLPA announcing their vote in favor of a DOI or more which should come along asap) over the last several days.

The NHL is aware that the NHLPA has the vote that they needed and did what they could do to try and place as much pressure as possible on the PA as expected. Now here is the question that is tricky to answer and why allot of people think that this thing won't be allowed to be pushed over the edge entirely and that we will see a season sooner rather than later, there isn't a win for the NHL, the owners or the players if it is allowed to fall entirely apart.

There simply isn't.

If the league stands its ground then the players will decertify and that will force the league to attempt to run without a CBA which for several reasons will put them ripe for an anti trust lawsuit (a few steps in between but the short of it is that is what would happen) and will tie everything up in court for more than just this season. They know and so does the PA.

That said the PA will have to be willing to lose at the very least one seasons worth of salary and career time for ALL of its players. The average length of NHL time per player is 5 years. IF the PA and the NHL carry this out full tilt then the majority of players will risk losing a third of their career so that others can play for their entire expected time.

It isn't a perfect science but what is at stake and not only do both sides know this but so does everyone in between (agents to ice crews) is the death of the NHL and the dispersal of its players (for at least a period of a couple of years, maybe more) to other leagues.

The KHL, which I have now attended over 30 games in person watching as well as the SEL and a few other EU leagues would all pay plenty enough money and offer pretty relaxed/privileged life styles to get their star players back home and playing in front of their own fans.

Would Malkin make $9 mil? He might, the fact that the NHL won't be around to drive up the value of its elite players might lower the overall pay (I think it definitely would but who really knows?) but I think it is fair to say that in order to get them (the elite) to sign long term contracts to stick around that they will be compensated in a very similar manner to what they are accustomed to while playing in NA.

Now don't get me wrong, the EU leagues all have their problems and none of them come close to the NHL in their level of play but then they don't really need to if the NHL isn't around for a few years either.

Just attending games as a spectator I can tell you that the overall experience is different and somewhat less exciting for the most part but not so much so to prevent players from wanting to be there. We are seeing it today. All of the players wether they are from NA or EU who are playing there would rather be back playing in the NHL (I know it is a presumption but an educated one anyways) I would bet if you asked them and not just for the money.

So I am still very optimistic that we will see an NHL season and even believe that the we will see some good things happening within the next week or so. I remain optimistic and will until the NHL cancels the season outright and if that happens I will have to believe that completely barking F*ing lunatics have taken over the asylum and that we will never see the NHL in its prior glory again.

That might end up being a good thing but I will likely not be around to see it.

Beckham may be leaving NA (I don't know enough about the game) but that doesn't mean that watching footy would be such a bad thing. The fans fight enough to take up the slack from watching hockey and while the players don't skate and the game is slower and more boring I am getting older, maybe its a good thing?

I remain optimistic. Everything I hear is that the people involved want this resolved, are willing to make some minor concessions to what the other is asking and that they have been closer than farther apart for a few days (a week and change) now and that all of these "tactics" being used by both sides are going to be put aside soon so that they can still earn some cash for this year.

Too much pie left on the table.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:50 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

I'll still be surprised if the whole season gets scrapped. A January 1 start date was never going to happen, IMO. No reason for PA and NHL to talk, the real season ending date is Mid-January. That's when the last minute negotiations will take place. And this isn't like 04 when the gap was huge between the sides, they had a philosophical issue and they had hardly talked at all. Here they are close money wise, both agree on the cap and 50/50, and they have been very regularly talking throughout. I can't see them scrapping the season.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:55 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I'll still be surprised if the whole season gets scrapped. A January 1 start date was never going to happen, IMO. No reason for PA and NHL to talk, the real season ending date is Mid-January. That's when the last minute negotiations will take place. And this isn't like 04 when the gap was huge between the sides, they had a philosophical issue and they had hardly talked at all. Here they are close money wise, both agree on the cap and 50/50, and they have been very regularly talking throughout. I can't see them scrapping the season.
I agree, too much to lose.

Old
12-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I agree, too much to lose.
I kinda have the opposite opinion. They both already dug themselves a hole and they probably feel like they've come this far, might as well keep fighting the good fight.

Old
12-20-2012, 07:49 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I kinda have the opposite opinion. They both already dug themselves a hole and they probably feel like they've come this far, might as well keep fighting the good fight.
That is one of my bigger fears but then with all that they have to lose and so little to gain by going all the way with this I guess I can only say that I would be happy to take your $10 bet that they will sit and get and that we will see a resolution soon enough to have some sort of season.

In the end all either of us really have is hope that things will go our way.

Old
12-20-2012, 07:53 PM
no name

So, if there is not season, how do they settle the draft? I'm guessing they just draft at the same position as the year prior, which shafts Columbus.

Old
12-20-2012, 07:59 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

This is the NHL telling the NHLPA to **** or get off the pot. I did not expect them to cancel games all the way up to mid-January like they did, but the January 14 date carries special significance. The NHL has already indicated this is about as far as they will go before cancelling the season.

So there you go. It is likely that if a deal isn't in place by January 7 or so, the Kings get to keep the Cup another year.

Whoooppee.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:01 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
Well then Ron, something tells me they played pretty opposite of that the previous 41 games....if I have it correct, didn't it take them up until the 2nd to last game of the season to clinch a playoff spot? The only sustained play they had that was 'worthy of champions' started game 1 of the playoffs....don't kid yourself.
So let me get this straight. You believe their 13-5-3 run to end the season wasn't worthy of being a champion?

Man, you are so negative that if they won five Stanley Cups in a row you would find fault that they didn't a sixth.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:25 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
So let me get this straight. You believe their 13-5-3 run to end the season wasn't worthy of being a champion?

Man, you are so negative that if they won five Stanley Cups in a row you would find fault that they didn't a sixth.
Not to mention that the run to the cup started when we had a significant change to our team that literally saw us become the team that won the cup when we hired DS and dealt for JC. No matter how someone sees things I can't find a way to debate that those two happenings weren't both significant and huge impactful changes to our team that had a major impact on our success.

Look at our record before and after those two things happened and it should be easy for everyone to see.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Axl Rhoadz*

Quote:

You call it negative, I'd prefer to say I'm a realist. Lets put it this way, had the Kings not squeezed into that 8th spot (which you have to admit was too close for comfort), would you be bragging about their 13-5-3 run?

Old
12-20-2012, 08:43 PM
Axl Rhoadz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Not to mention that the run to the cup started when we had a significant change to our team that literally saw us become the team that won the cup when we hired DS and dealt for JC. No matter how someone sees things I can't find a way to debate that those two happenings weren't both significant and huge impactful changes to our team that had a major impact on our success.

Look at our record before and after those two things happened and it should be easy for everyone to see.
Eh, I'd have to say the re-emergence of Dustin Brown after the trade deadline had more of an impact than Carter.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:50 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
So, if there is not season, how do they settle the draft? I'm guessing they just draft at the same position as the year prior, which shafts Columbus.
They had a league wide lottery last time. Not sure what happened to traded picks though.

Old
12-20-2012, 09:18 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Don't remember the draft lottery of 2005, in which Pittsburgh "Won" Sidney Crosby? That's probably what they would do, but in order to have a draft you have to have a CBA in place.

Old
12-20-2012, 09:37 PM
damacles1156

Quote:

Jesus you guys are like Sharks with blood in the water.

A short season is a cause for concern for EVERY SINGLE NHL team.

It does not leave you room or time to dig yourself out of a significant slump.

Even Elite teams are not immune to slumps.

That's all anybody is trying to say.

Closed Thread