Movies, Music, & TV Thread

Old
12-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemon21 View Post
As a complete Tolkien fanboy I loved the movie. I can see how some people who aren't such would dislike it. Some things were definitely altered but for the most part Jackson was true to the source material. It is a 350 page book they are stretching into 3 movies however, which some will see as only a money grab. I believe Jackson has the best of intentions though being a huge fan himself. If you enjoy the lore and landscapes of Middle Earth the movie will be very enjoyable. I can see how the casual observer will have a problem with the sometimes slow pace though. The action sequences are very well done and I thought they did a great job of portraying the lighter tone of the book compared to LOTR while maintaining an edge.
Agreed 100%.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 06:17 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemon21 View Post
As a complete Tolkien fanboy I loved the movie. I can see how some people who aren't such would dislike it. Some things were definitely altered but for the most part Jackson was true to the source material. It is a 350 page book they are stretching into 3 movies however, which some will see as only a money grab. I believe Jackson has the best of intentions though being a huge fan himself. If you enjoy the lore and landscapes of Middle Earth the movie will be very enjoyable. I can see how the casual observer will have a problem with the sometimes slow pace though. The action sequences are very well done and I thought they did a great job of portraying the lighter tone of the book compared to LOTR while maintaining an edge.
I disagree with all of this.

I'm a Tolkien fan and know the Hobbit front to back and I hated it. Jackson was horribly unfaithful and his additions brought everything down. Orcs never attack the company west of the mountains... Radagast doesn't magically appear... the Dwarves don't leave Rivendell without Gandalf (they would never do that in a million years)... Bilbo doesn't decide to abandon them and go home... Bilbo doesn't come down from the tree and charge at a warg for God's sake... are you kidding me?

Not that changes in and of themselves are necessarily bad. One change that they didn't make stands out to me: how do you put together a movie with such a long running time yet fail to properly introduce all of the dwarves? Several didn't have a single line of dialog. They were glorified extras. Somewhere along the line Jackson mistook zany character designs for actual character development.

Action sequences were the worst part of the movie. Completely over the top, incomprehensible to follow, artificially introduced... CGI disasters lacking in any real peril.

It didn't have a lighter tone at all. The tone was just as grim, serious, and violent as LOTR, except this time nothing mattered, nothing had any weight to it and there were no consequences for actions. It was a video game writ large, and a bad one at that.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 07:00 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
It didn't have a lighter tone at all. The tone was just as grim, serious, and violent as LOTR, except this time nothing mattered, nothing had any weight to it and there were no consequences for actions. It was a video game writ large, and a bad one at that.
Saw the movie last night...

I agree with what you said here, except I would argue that due to the lack of weight/consequences the tone was lighter.

I'm a fan of myth and fantasy in a general sense but I haven't read any of Tolkien's books (yet), so I don't bring with me the aesthetic baggage that a fan of the literature might. So, as far as changes to the book goes I can't comment but I will say that the overall storytelling in comparison to LOTR was sorely lacking to me. I saw the movie after work and was on the sleepy side, which didn't help, but the slow parts felt sluggish at best and the action sequences weren't on the level of those in LOTR.

My feelings on the movie are probably also biased because part of the attraction of LOTR was the difference in characters (plenty of elves, humans, dwarves, hobbits, etc.) while The Hobbit was primarily dwarves, a race that seems to lack a bit in the depth of personality department. On this aspect I'm not sure if it's the dwarves I'm not crazy about or Jackson's presentation of them.

I haven't had a chance to really sit back and process what I saw but the way you phrased the film's lack of weight felt pretty spot on. Does the book come across that way? I approach literature and film differently and with different expectations. If I like an author's style I can read book after book without needing to be yanked in by some heavy burden or anguish experienced by the protagonist; film just doesn't operate on that same aesthetic level, IMO mainly because of the time spent taking in the material.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 11:38 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Just watched it, and....

Spoil:
...it's truly MIRACULOUS that they all managed to survive the entire journey (so far)! I mean, in all the battles and close calls they encountered, you'd think at least one would take a knife to the chest, or, oh, I don't know, smash into the side of a mountain that is suddenly a giant person. Not one casualty amongst the good guys; even for a film of this genre you can't expect the audience to suspend belief THAT much, can you?

Another pet peeve I had.....Bilbo discovers a ring that makes him invisible. He uses it to slip past Gollum, and then....never uses it again? Everyone in the freakin' theater thought he'd put it on and surprise-attack the orc who was about to kill Thoren. But, no, he full-on tackles the orc in plain sight and nearly gets himself killed. Saved by giant birds.

All in all, a bit long-winded but otherwise enjoyable.

Oh, and:

Spoil:
I'm guessing Peter Jackson is ripping a page from the Book of Lucas, and is going for the prequel trilogy?

12-21-2012, 12:01 AM
TrillMike

Not a LOTR guy, but I'll probably get dragged to this soon.

TrillMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 12:26 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Oh, and:

Spoil:
I'm guessing Peter Jackson is ripping a page from the Book of Lucas, and is going for the prequel trilogy?
Spoil:
Definitely. My hope is that the next one picks up the pace. In this case the prequel trilogy will also not live up to the original "sequel" trilogy.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 03:14 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Django is amazing.

Way better than I had even hoped!

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Brand New Stars

Definitely a 10 out of 10. Hilarious yet filled with gore. Wasn't a fan of Inglorious but Pulp Fiction is one of my top 3 movies of all time. Still thinking of how I compare it to Pulp Fiction.

Also, I quite enjoyed the Hobbit. Only part I got bored during was when they went to Rivendell.

Brand New Stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems

Hobbit was amazing. Definitely not as "dark" as lotr, but still very good.

Nemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:51 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Agreed with earlier sentiment on Django. A bit too dark at times, yet at other times I couldn't stop laughing.

Overall a great flick!

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:59 PM
Starsfan24
Drunkkkkk

Hangover sucked. Just sayin.

Starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:06 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

I have seen a ton of movies lately.

42, GI Joe, Iron Man 3, Star Trek, and Gatsby are the most recent of the bunch.

Star Trek > 42 > IM 3 > Gatsby > GI Joe, in my humble moviegoer's opinion.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:28 PM
RastaRockett

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gnJB10WTpE

Same writer as City of God if you've seen it.

RastaRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Starsfan24
Drunkkkkk

Literally laughed out loud in the theater today during this preview. Will see it just for a good laugh.

Old
05-24-2013, 12:12 AM
WhoahNow

Anyone else excited for Fast & Furious 6? I'm a sucker for movies with the Rock, but should still be a dumb, fun, action movie.

Side note, Queens of the Stone Age new album Like Clockwork is awesome!

WhoahNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 02:40 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Hangover 3 was unreal. Didn't stop laughing

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 07:07 AM
Caseman

Go see Mud if you want a good "at-home" movie. I don't really know what I mean by that, but it was a good one to see for sure.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:05 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
Go see Mud if you want a good "at-home" movie. I don't really know what I mean by that, but it was a good one to see for sure.
Friend kept nagging me about wanting to see that one last Friday. So went. Was definitely better than I thought it'd be. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 12:20 PM
Starsfan24
Drunkkkkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB Stars View Post
Hangover 3 was unreal. Didn't stop laughing
Are you serious?

Old
05-31-2013, 01:16 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfan24 View Post
Are you serious?
A lot of people didn't like it but I loved it along with most of my friends.

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 04:07 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Gatsby and Star Trek were both great.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 05:22 PM
Brand New Stars

Gatsby- Mehh. Without Leo it would've sucked

Star Trek- Great. Bad guy much better than the first one.

Mud- Best of the year so far.

Place Beyond the Pines- Very good but a bit long.

Iron Man 3- Better than the second one.

Hangover 3- I'd rather scoop out my eyes with spoons than see this.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:48 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Want to see Mud for sure. Need to figure out where it's playing.

Iron Man 3 I couldn't wait for it to end. But then again I hadn't seen the first 2 so maybe I just didn't get it. Seemed unbelievably cheesy to me, like they were purposefully making a B movie.

Star Trek was good but maybe not quite as good as the first one. Villain was much better this time (I wasn't spoiled), Scotty threatened to steal the show, and inverting the stuff the from the original movies was fun. I was getting tired of the Spock/Uhura subplot though.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:57 PM
Brand New Stars

The Iron Man movies are garbage compared to the Avengers. Of course I'm assuming you saw it without having seen the first two because of the Avengers. They're really just about Robert Downey Jr.

Old
05-31-2013, 11:50 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Just saw Hangover 3, and.....yeah, that was hot garbage.

Chow kept it from being a complete trainwreck, as he had his moments.....but that was just a bad movie.