HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor and Proposal Thread Part III

View Poll Results: Would you accept the Edmonton Oilers acquiring Luongo from the Vancouver Canucks?
Yes 103 35.64%
No 186 64.36%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
not sure I completely agree...
Plante was an AHL allstar and Teubert was one of the better Dmen in AHL last year.
AHL pairing of Teubert-Plante was as good as any in AHL last year.
Fedun at AHL level is comparable to Petry at NHL level
Marincin is comparable if not better than a Whitney with a bad foot.
Fillers like Deck,Henry etc have been better than what we got from Sutton\Peckham and Barker..

I dont expect our NHL D to be any better than what we are seeing at AHL level.
Plante is dog food right now, basically Jason Strudwick at the NHL level minus the physical play.

Teubert > Peckham in their respective leagues.

Sutton >>> Henry although Sutton probably won't be back with us.

Petry >>> Fedun respective to their leagues, Petry hits more, skates the puck out more, is more involved in the offensive zine, if a better passer, etc. Had Fedun not gotten hurt and lost a step you might have a case.

I'll give you Marincin > Whitney with a bad wheel based on Marincin's play prior to his last 4-5 games which hasn't been too great.

12-18-2012, 11:43 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
this team still needs 3 things coming out of the lockout:

-goaltending...not convinced Dubnyk can shoulder the load and Khabby is done IMO
-another d-man...Sutton looks to be done and Schultz still hasn't played an NHL game...need a rugged defensive d-man
-size and grit up front...too small and soft at forward...need a banger and crasher as well
I don't see us doing much at goaltending just yet.

D-man, think a vet could be picked up after the dust settles.

#3 on your list is going to be tough, be interesting to see if anyone like that becomes available.

Old
12-18-2012, 11:44 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
good point but who is to say that last year's solid pairing of Smid-Petry cant suck in future?
If one of these 2 struggle this year then EDM would once again have the worst D group in NHL.

on paper before the season, Teubert\Plante\Fedun\Schultz\Marincin \Davidson looked like the best D group in AHL.
How about no? Ever look at Phoenix' or Carolina's farm teams on D? And those 2 are just off the top of my head.

Old
12-18-2012, 11:50 AM
Musashi

Quote:
good point but who is to say that last year's solid pairing of Smid-Petry cant suck in future?
If one of these 2 struggle this year then EDM would once again have the worst D group in NHL.

on paper before the season, Teubert\Plante\Fedun\Schultz\Marincin \Davidson looked like the best D group in AHL.
Imo I would be pretty shocked if petry and smid had similar struggles to what plante and teubert are going through and couldn't get it going consistently through out the season

and looking at that dcore on paper shows a lot of question marks. I don't get how anyone could claim they were the best group in the ahl when 4 of those 6 were going into their first pro season. Even if you thought plante and teubert were going to build off some success last year and without knowing what schultz was capable yet.

Old
12-18-2012, 11:51 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
How about no? Ever look at Phoenix' or Carolina's farm teams on D? And those 2 are just off the top of my head.
I just don't understand how Teubert and Plante can fall so much. Marincin doesn't surprise me, first year as a pro. Fedun coming off major injury and imo was overrated before he got hurt. Davidson, again another unproven player.

Plante and Teubert simply have to step up.

Old
12-18-2012, 11:53 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Brodziak View Post
Imo I would be pretty shocked if petry and smid had similar struggles to what plante and teubert are going through and couldn't get it going consistently through out the season

and looking at that dcore on paper shows a lot of question marks. I don't get how anyone could claim they were the best group in the ahl when 4 of those 6 were going into their first pro season. Even if you thought plante and teubert were going to build off some success last year and without knowing what schultz was capable yet.
What happens when they do struggle? Everyone seems to think that nothing can go wrong, but Petry isn't even playing and Smid has been up and down his whole career and will be coming off some sort of knee injury.

Heck makes you wonder if we shouldn't be added another top 4 to the lineup instead of a bottom 6 for Sutton.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:00 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
And that was probably a big part of why the barons had success last year.. but this is not last year and none of these guys deserve to be even close to an ahl all star discussion or top pairing
Yep... last season the Barons allowed 28.1 shots against per game and this year they have 31.3 shots against per game. That's almost 12% more rubber being allowed this year than last which shows the defense isn't up to last year's standards.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
What happens when they do struggle? Everyone seems to think that nothing can go wrong, but Petry isn't even playing and Smid has been up and down his whole career and will be coming off some sort of knee injury.

Heck makes you wonder if we shouldn't be added another top 4 to the lineup instead of a bottom 6 for Sutton.
I'm sure they will have their ups and downs when we get back to playing but I would be surprised if after 20-25 games, there game hasn't come around to a pretty consistent level. But that's just how I feel about them, of course we won't know until we actually see them playing.

If 2 out of Smid, Petry, and the wildcard Whitney cant solidify themselves as a pretty respectable top pairing, then we are in some trouble

Old
12-18-2012, 12:19 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
I'm sure they will have their ups and downs when we get back to playing but I would be surprised if after 20-25 games, there game hasn't come around to a pretty consistent level. But that's just how I feel about them, of course we won't know until we actually see them playing.

If 2 out of Smid, Petry, and the wildcard Whitney cant solidify themselves as a pretty respectable top pairing, then we are in some trouble
We are in for some trouble if that's what we want.

Think our only real hope is having two #2 pairings that aren't quite top pairing but are better than your average #2 pairing.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Musashi

Quote:
We are in for some trouble if that's what we want.

Think our only real hope is having two #2 pairings that aren't quite top pairing but are better than your average #2 pairing.
I agree and I think our best hope is that petry can keep raising his level to a top pairing level and bring it to a consistent level or whitney regains his form to find a top pairing defender. But then again, the chances of them underperforming may still be greater so it does leave some question marks.

But that's all we really have to work with right now. I don't see trading for a top pairing defensemen a realistic option in the next year, especially since the lock out is really stopping us to seeing what we have in some players on our nhl roster.

Old
12-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Pucklington

Would people be in favor of trading our 1st for Ryan O'Reilly? I think the value is there, considering we likely won't have a lottery pick.

Colorado seems like they might have problems signing him, and he is the perfect 2nd line centre and perfect age for the Oilers.

Thoughts?

Old
12-18-2012, 05:39 PM
Neatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucklington View Post
Would people be in favor of trading our 1st for Ryan O'Reilly? I think the value is there, considering we likely won't have a lottery pick.

Colorado seems like they might have problems signing him, and he is the perfect 2nd line centre and perfect age for the Oilers.

Thoughts?
Well ya, that would be wonderful for the Oilers, but if you go suggest that trade to Avalanche fans they'll tear you limb from limb.

In other words, not enough going from the oil.

Old
12-18-2012, 05:47 PM
Hitchslap

vCash: 50
Quote:

Smid has been up and down his whole career? Wtf? He has been consistently improving each year and is always solid. Petry is still the question mark, a lot more than Smid anyways.

Old
12-19-2012, 08:26 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchslap View Post
Smid has been up and down his whole career? Wtf? He has been consistently improving each year and is always solid. Petry is still the question mark, a lot more than Smid anyways.
Yes Smid has been up and down. People seem to forget 09-10 when he was showing the same promise and then 10-11 he took a step back because of a neck injury.

Yes it was an injury, but the way Smid plays it is something that we will have to deal with. See Anton Volchenkov.

Old
12-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Pucklington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatman View Post
Well ya, that would be wonderful for the Oilers, but if you go suggest that trade to Avalanche fans they'll tear you limb from limb.

In other words, not enough going from the oil.
I would assume we have a pick from the 6th-10th range, and if there is some sort of conflict due to his contract in the KHL I would assume his value comes down a bit.

He is not worth a lottery pick, but he could command a 6th to 10th overall pick even with his situation. From what I understand they were having problems signing him, but I have not been following the situation that closely.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucklington View Post
I would assume we have a pick from the 6th-10th range, and if there is some sort of conflict due to his contract in the KHL I would assume his value comes down a bit.

He is not worth a lottery pick, but he could command a 6th to 10th overall pick even with his situation. From what I understand they were having problems signing him, but I have not been following the situation that closely.
Ryan O'Reilly signed a two year deal in the KHL.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl...4209--nhl.html

If the NHL honors KHL deals, then no, I would not be interested in trading for O'Reilly.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Ryan O'Reilly signed a two year deal in the KHL.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl...4209--nhl.html

If the NHL honors KHL deals, then no, I would not be interested in trading for O'Reilly.
I still would, that way you can add him on the cheap and in 1 1/2 years time you plug him right into your lineup.

Old
12-20-2012, 03:36 PM
backhandsauce

Once the NHL resumes this year, what about trading Omark for Regehr?

Assuming Buffalo wants to shed some cap space. Regehr is also a UFA at season'd end. I would think Edmonton would have a good chance at re signing him.

Old
12-20-2012, 03:45 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
Once the NHL resumes this year, what about trading Omark for Regehr?

Assuming Buffalo wants to shed some cap space. Regehr is also a UFA at season'd end. I would think Edmonton would have a good chance at re signing him.
I'd be for it, but in no rush to sign Regehr.

Would like to see what is left in him and who develops. He's a guy with a lot of miles on his body and who knows exactly how good he'll be once the lockout is over.

Old
12-20-2012, 03:51 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Quote:
I'd be for it, but in no rush to sign Regehr.

Would like to see what is left in him and who develops. He's a guy with a lot of miles on his body and who knows exactly how good he'll be once the lockout is over.
Yep. When physical defensive defencemen fall, they fall hard and fast.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:01 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Yes Smid has been up and down. People seem to forget 09-10 when he was showing the same promise and then 10-11 he took a step back because of a neck injury.

Yes it was an injury, but the way Smid plays it is something that we will have to deal with. See Anton Volchenkov.
I remember when everyone thought that Gilbert was ahead of and had more value than Smid. I was definitely in the minority for a few years just waiting for him to become the NHL player he is today.

Not only that but he was almost gone when we tried trading for Heatley. I wonder if he will have a chip on his shoulder considering how things have gone previously with the Oilers. He doesn't seem to be the type that would really dwell on things though. Having said that, we can't afford to lose him for nothing on the free market.

Lets hope he signs.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:11 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I remember when everyone thought that Gilbert was ahead of and had more value than Smid. I was definitely in the minority for a few years just waiting for him to become the NHL player he is today.

Not only that but he was almost gone when we tried trading for Heatley. I wonder if he will have a chip on his shoulder considering how things have gone previously with the Oilers. He doesn't seem to be the type that would really dwell on things though. Having said that, we can't afford to lose him for nothing on the free market.

Lets hope he signs.
I was a big Gilbert fan his first year here, but for some reason in his second year he stopped doing a lot of things that made him successful. He stopped pinching in from the point for easy tap in goals, he started coughing up the puck like crazy and just playing softer in general.

He's still a decent top 4 defencemen but I believe that concussion he got early in his career made him a bit scared of physical play.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
I was a big Gilbert fan his first year here, but for some reason in his second year he stopped doing a lot of things that made him successful. He stopped pinching in from the point for easy tap in goals, he started coughing up the puck like crazy and just playing softer in general.

He's still a decent top 4 defencemen but I believe that concussion he got early in his career made him a bit scared of physical play.
he scored a lot more goals in his first year but had a very good 2nd season with the Oilers offensively (45pts) and followed it up with another 30+ pt season..

Fans here would be creaming their pants if Petry's offense was anything close to what Gilbert gave us in those 3 yrs.

People have short memories... Gilbert and Whitney are prime examples...
both were gods when producing but are now chumps atleast until their next 3 point night

edit: Gilbert was miles ahead of Smid in value 2/3 yrs ago.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
he scored a lot more goals in his first year but had a very good 2nd season with the Oilers offensively (45pts) and followed it up with another 30+ pt season..

Fans here would be creaming their pants if Petry's offense was anything close to what Gilbert gave us in those 3 yrs.

both were gods when producing but are now chumps atleast until their next 3 point night

Yeah I remember his second year he had a lot of points but I felt like he was the king of the second assist. He wouldn't really make an impact on the game but end up with 2 apples. Just thought he lost some flair he had in his game he had the year before. But he's still a good defencemen, I agree.

Whitney I was never a big fan of...aside from like 20 games he had 2 years ago. I wonder if this lockout helps him with his ankle or if the time off makes him even more rusty and outta shape.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:50 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:

I'm still a big fan of Whitney... When he's healthy. I'm still waiting to see if he can ever fully recover.

Closed Thread