HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor and Proposal Thread Part III

View Poll Results: Would you accept the Edmonton Oilers acquiring Luongo from the Vancouver Canucks?
Yes 103 35.64%
No 186 64.36%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2012, 07:03 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I'm still a big fan of Whitney... When he's healthy. I'm still waiting to see if he can ever fully recover.
Everyone was a fan of Whitney when he was healthy and was having a Norris-like season until he got hurt. Never been the same since and likely never will be.

He also has a personality that grates on some people... others don't mind him as he seems to speak his mind and cuts through the bs. Personally if he's healthy and playing like a solid top pairing dman he could be kicking puppies* in his spare time and I'd look the other way.

No puppies were actually harmed in the making of these comments.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:12 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
No puppies were actually harmed in the making of these comments.
Thank god. Things could have been ugly if he was wearing skates.

Old
12-26-2012, 01:58 PM
JuniorNelson

Leadership swap.

In the event of a shortened season, I propose this trade;

Luongo and Edler for Smyth, Hordichuk and Sutton.

I think Edmonton wins this trade handily, but Vancouver is nearing the end of their core's Cup contension. They can make thier final push and then start a rebuild.

Edmonton gains a steady the back end kit.

Happy Holidays and please share your thoughts!

Old
12-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Eskimo44

This is ridiculous. Edler is becoming a UFA soon but he's a Norris (or damn close) caliber defenseman. Luongo and his awful contract IMO are not worth picking up, but to some i'm sure he has value.

Sutton i basically retired
Hordichuk is worth literally nothing
Smyth should not be traded and even if he was he's only worth a late 1st or so. He's the only valuable piece in the deal and he's in his late 30's.

Old
12-26-2012, 02:10 PM
YoSoGordo

Oilers give up too much, I'll break it down for you:
Sutton= top 2 dman with dangles
Smyth= top 2 player in the league and still young
Hordichuk=best power forward in the game, soon to get 40 goals.

For

Luongo= Chl backup goalie
Edler=minor league 7th dman

Oilers pass big time

Old
12-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoSoGordo View Post
Oilers give up too much, I'll break it down for you:
Sutton= top 2 dman with dangles
Smyth= top 2 player in the league and still young
Hordichuk=best power forward in the game, soon to get 40 goals.

For

Luongo= Chl backup goalie
Edler=minor league 7th dman

Oilers pass big time
the OP I believe is a VAN fan..

Old
12-26-2012, 02:20 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
If we're going to acquire Luongo Shawn Horcoff has to be going the other way.

Last edited by oilersfan11: 12-26-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old
12-26-2012, 02:26 PM
YoSoGordo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
the OP I believe is a VAN fan..
oops haha I thought it was an oiler fan, I thought all Vancouver fans wanted like an a+ prospect and first round picks an stuff.

Old
12-26-2012, 07:25 PM
clayton magnet

Would anyone consider something along the lines of Schiefele and Bogosian for Yakupov and Gagner? I think Scheifele is the ideal second line centre and with Yakupovs recent comments, I doubt he is making any friends with our young guns who have all represented Canada at the juniors. Not that I think it's a huge deal but I just think this would be a better team going forward. Thoughts? is it even remotely fair?

Old
12-26-2012, 07:39 PM
misfit

Love Bogosian, but I don't think I'd make that deal. I'm also not as high on Scheifele as I used to be. Bogosian/Scheifele is probably too much for Yakupov on his own, but addidng Gagner swings the deal in Winnipeg's favour by a fair bit. Giving up the best player and the most total value does not make for a very good trade.

12-26-2012, 09:41 PM
Qrispy

I don't see anything wrong with what he said. If we're trading him, I want a #1 dman coming back.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

There was absolutely nothing wrong with what Yak said, and more than likely had some truth to it. Anyone remember the '72 summit series?

Team Canada has a reputation for not necessarily playing nice. I know that it's nowhere near 1972, but we still kind of play the same way internationally.

What a freaking fun series to watch...seriously!

Anyways, we tend to take hockey very seriously, and can get a bit....rambunctious.

See the perfect example in Boone Jenner getting suspended for 3 games. It was a blatant late hit, and he had no intention in playing the puck IMO. Anyone that says he should have kept his head up (Pettersson) are idiots, as he didn't even have the puck when he got hit.

Last edited by Booya42: 12-26-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old
12-27-2012, 12:28 AM
clayton magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
There was absolutely nothing wrong with what Yak said, and more than likely had some truth to it. Anyone remember the '72 summit series?

Team Canada has a reputation for not necessarily playing nice. I know that it's nowhere near 1972, but we still kind of play the same way internationally.

What a freaking fun series to watch...seriously!

Anyways, we tend to take hockey very seriously, and can get a bit....rambunctious.

See the perfect example in Boone Jenner getting suspended for 3 games. It was a blatant late hit, and he had no intention in playing the puck IMO. Anyone that says he should have kept his head up (Pettersson) are idiots, as he didn't even have the puck when he got hit.
I never said I thought there was anything wrong or incorrect with what he said, I just can't see guys like the nuge, eberle, and hall really befriending a guy calling out a team they take a lot of pride in. I just don't feel Yak is going to meld with the group that well.

Old
12-27-2012, 12:38 AM
ales83fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton magnet View Post
I never said I thought there was anything wrong or incorrect with what he said, I just can't see guys like the nuge, eberle, and hall really befriending a guy calling out a team they take a lot of pride in. I just don't feel Yak is going to meld with the group that well.
I think they'll be fine.

If there's skill, that's all hockey players want on their team. 40 goals a game will do that.

I'd be great in that room, but you don't want me on the ice, trust me.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:01 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
In the event of a shortened season, I propose this trade;

Luongo and Edler for Smyth, Hordichuk and Sutton.

I think Edmonton wins this trade handily, but Vancouver is nearing the end of their core's Cup contension. They can make thier final push and then start a rebuild.

Edmonton gains a steady the back end kit.

Happy Holidays and please share your thoughts!
I don't even want Luongo in Edm... but if the Oilers can get Edler+ Luongo for Smyth, Hordy and the expert appraiser... you make that deal 26 hours a day... 9 days a week.

Luongo instantly makes them better in net (never mind his playoff choke status) and Edler makes then instantly solid on d as they have a legit top pairing player.

I see no reason for the Nucks to do that deal as it's heavily slanted towards the Oilers... but hey to even things up... the Oilers can even throw in the SC champ Khabi with the few months he has left on his deal.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:09 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:
I honestly am not at all worried about it. Yak has played in NA for a while now. He knows the NA game. He knows it's somewhat more "beligerant and rambunctious" aka "dirtier" than most of the overseas nations.

I think he's simply willing to say what a lot of others also know but just don't say as blatantly.

Hell we can see with our own eyes that North American players play a more borderline/aggressive style... and that's part of the "Canadian way"... for better or worse.

Once Yak and the rest of the Oilers are together (if the lockout ever ends) I have no doubt they will bond well together and I don't think there will be any problems with Yak seeing his own teammates as dirty players.

Remember also that the Oilers in general are a pretty soft team and he'll fit right in as we all complain about other teams pushing the Oilers around and being aggressive with the young guns.

Old
12-27-2012, 12:08 PM
rockinghockey

I am not interested in Bog, if we are trading Yak it is for a legit top dman and Bogo is not.

Old
12-27-2012, 01:28 PM
Petro Points

Inspired by the Spengler cup and WJHC proposal:

Gagner for Strome

JT and Gagner become linemats and EDM rolls with RNH + Strome as the 1\2 punch down the middle.

NYI has Bailey and Nielsen behind Tavares down the middle so Strome might be available. Gagner gets moved to the wing replacing Parenteau.

EDM gets a RHS top prospect C shoring up our top 6 for years to come.

Hall-Strome-Yakupov = not a bad #2 line

Old
12-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

I'm really not sure that Strome would be an upgrade on Gagner TBH.

12-27-2012, 02:08 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I'm really not sure that Strome would be an upgrade on Gagner TBH.
I'd rather have Gagner. They are similar players and Gagner already has 5 seasons under his belt. It makes a contender sooner.

If we move Gagner it should be for an upgrade on center. We don't exactly need more wingers with Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Hemsky, Paajarvi, Smyth, and Jones all battling for top 9 roles.

I don't really see any big veteran centers being moved anytime soon.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I'd rather have Gagner. They are similar players and Gagner already has 5 seasons under his belt. It makes a contender sooner.

If we move Gagner it should be for an upgrade on center. We don't exactly need more wingers with Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Hemsky, Paajarvi, Smyth, and Jones all battling for top 9 roles.

I don't really see any big veteran centers being moved anytime soon.
Strome is a C ... Might not be better then Gagner offensively for the next couple yrs but will be bigger once he fills into his 6'1" frame. He is also a RHS who also scored 106pts his draft year (ala RNH and Hall).

Old
12-27-2012, 03:02 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Strome is a C ... Might not be better then Gagner offensively for the next couple yrs but will be bigger once he fills into his 6'1" frame. He is also a RHS who also scored 106pts his draft year (ala RNH and Hall).
Gagner is a RHS who scored 118p in his draft year. And it isn't like Strome uses that extra size to his advantage or anything. I prefer Gagner.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:04 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Yes of course Strome is a center. Didn't mean to imply he wasn't. What I meant to say is, Gagner isn't getting moved for someone who isn't an upgrade in Strome. Could Strome be better than Gagner in 5 years? Maybe but it's not worth waiting for Strome to develop as I see a 28 year old Gagner better than a 24 year old Strome.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:19 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Yea, the last thing this team needs to do is get younger. If we trade Gagner the guy coming back needs to be at least 25+ years old IMO, or a proven young player like Couturier.

Old
12-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
That is utter nonsense. The kids play with passion for their country and have animosity for other nations in tournaments too, being competitors i'm sure they understand Yakupov's position. If i was Russian i'd think the Canadians were dirty too and i'd have no issue trash talking them. Yakupov wants to win and the Canadians are in his way. It's not like a Canadian would never say something inflamatory about the Russian or some other nation. If the Oiler kids didn't like Yakupov because of what he said they are flat out douch bags.

Now in saying that i think there are things that could be said that are a little more questionable. Kesler calling Luongo shaky in the Olympics i could see causing issues because he's directly calling out a teammate, but even then it's a competition and they were not on the same team in that game. I don't know about you but if i had the Canadian jersey on my back i would have no qualms with dissing other countires and doing everything i can to win for MY country. This isn't about the Oilers it's about Russia vs Canada.

Closed Thread