HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Dark horse goalies to be drafted

Old
12-20-2012, 11:39 AM
caley

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Way to cherry pick your quotes.

The last quote was immediately followed by

How convenient of you to leave that part out.
What is negative here. "Possible"? It's possible he lets every other shot he face in from here on out. I don't know the future, neither do you, no matter how much you might think you do.

Quote:
You and others harangued me for pointing out that they were out to lunch on Whistle being 8th best draft eligible in the WHL, of which there are only about 15 draft year goalies in the entire league,
Harangued? That's the nicest haranguing I've ever seen. What I objected to then, as now, was that you said that was no argument why he was 8th best when it's pretty easy to see CSS's entire thought process. Whistle, based on his play in 2011-12, did not look like a future draft pick, and was not on CSS's radar whatsoever. Based on his 2012-13 play, they added him to their list late, but are worried that a limited excellent run (I mean, despite his stellar play, he still hasn't displaced Cooke as the #1) isn't representative of his entire game. I'm pretty sure he'll be higher on the CSS mid-term rankings, unless his play falls off a cliff in the near future.

Quote:
but now here you are throwing his name out there for a possible "dark horse".

He is more than a "dark horse" to be picked in the draft at this point imo
I'd say he's still a dark horse. Zach Fucale, Eric Comrie, Spencer Martin, Tristan Jarry, are easy picks, Whistle's still just a possibility to get picked, far from a sure thing. Remember Kelly Guard, Derek Yeomans, Kris Westblom, Mark Guggenberger, and Adam Brown? Every one of those Kelowna goalies looked like sure-fire prospects, and not one of them has panned out (The jury's still out on Brown, but he looks like a longshot to ever play in the NHL).

Quote:
, but Im sure when he does get picked you and others will be there to say you knew it all along and were first to mention it.

Isnt that right?
Was there any point where I said "I was the first person to tout Jackson Whistle"? Did anyone? Does anyone care besides you? I just said he looked good this year, and you went crazy with your strange Jackson Whistle Persecution Complex.

Quote:
You cant argue both sides of the equation without looking a little foolish, which you and others seem to be doing here.

It hasnt gone unnoticed.
No one ever said Whistle was bad. No one. I said he's played well. I said I liked him.

Quote:
You also threw out the argument that perhaps the reason his numbers were so good was a product of playing behind a good team. Of course Jarry is in a similar situation, but no mention of that in regards to him.
Good team and a good system. Kelowna has a history of making goalies looking better than they are. Edmonton hasn't been long competitive to acquire any such reputation.

Quote:
The game against the Oil Kings in Kelowna, Whistle put on one of the best goaltending performances I have seen all year in the WHL from anyone, draft eligible or not. It had nothing to do with the team in front of him. In fact he WAS the reason they were even in the game, never mind coming out with a victory.
He was very good that night, no one's taking that away from you or him. Personally, I think Tristan Jarry's performance against Kamloops last week was just as good, if not better.

Anyways, since you're arguing a point here (No one has said Jackson Whistle is bad in this, or any other thread, the most negative thing I said was that I was interested to see how he plays down the stretch, whether or not he keeps it up the rest of the year), I think we can end this as it's getting off-topic.

caley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 06:18 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
The bone of contention is the rankings, not Jackson Whistle per say. Whistle was one example I thought was particularly egregious. You supported them, and still do apparently, while I think they are patently ridiculous (they are) to the point of incompetence.

It is a preliminary ranking for THIS year, not last year, or two or three years ago.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote