HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 7.0 - "Turns Rust To Gold?" Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-20-2012, 08:22 PM
  #476
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 5,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Where do Giroux's 17 points in 10 games fit into your equation? Did the flyers ride these offensive exploits to the finals?
Not a relevant counterargument. Nobody is saying that offense alone wins championships or even that offense wins championships.

Teams win championships, and that means playing well at both ends of the ice.

Giroux also got to inflate his stats by playing against Fleury.

DAChampion is online now  
Old
12-20-2012, 08:24 PM
  #477
GalHabsGal
Registered User
 
GalHabsGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 192
vCash: 500
We should trade Gally for Patrice Bergeron...

If we get Bergeron who was the winner of the Frank J. Selke Trophy, i am sure we are ready for the Stanley Cup!

GalHabsGal is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 09:31 PM
  #478
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
One great offensive player isn't enough to run and gun, unless the plan is to get more lotto picks for more great offensive players.

The last few cup winners all ran defensive systems.
Of course good D is an important part of the game. I'm exaggerating my argument for offense only for a bit of fun, hitting a high lob over the net for you guys to smash back.

But I do believe that Offense is the soul of the game, and D work is only a reaction to that.

Offence ACTS, Defence REACTS.

bsl is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 09:38 PM
  #479
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
You couldn't be more wrong about both Yzerman and Bowman. Bowman is the creator of the left wing lock which is the initial form of the neutral zone trap. He demands that his centers are defensively strong which is what he did with both Lemaire and Yzerman.

It is nothing short of laughable when you say that Bowman just asked Yzerman to backcheck once in a while. Find me that quote..........lol

If you understand the tactical aspect of the game and Bowman's philosophy you would know that systems don't call for "once in a while" efforts. Systems require adherence and consistency......otherwise the system doesn't work. Pierre Larouche is an example of a player who didn't want to backcheck and he found himself consistently benched and eventually traded from Bowman's team. So much for him letting his skilled players play as Larouche had more skill on that team than anyone not named Lafleur, and even that is debatable.

As for the comment about Beliveau.............he was a great two way center, I am not sure what weak point you were trying to make. It is possible to put up big point totals while playing a complete game as players like Crosby, Francis, Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Gilmour can attest to. It is crucial that your best offensive players are your best players in all three zones if you want win championships. If you don't believe me just ask Bowman and Yzerman as they have proven as much.
There is truth in what you say of course. I know I was leaving my ass out in the wind with that post, but it was fun to write.

Still, I think people over emphasize Bowman on strategy, yes he was brilliant at that, and system, and under emphasize his skill at

1. Getting good players from his Gms (Something that is important, but rarely talked about)
2. Getting the most out of those good players, definitively on offense, and yes, of course on D.
3. Motivation of good teams to be even better, a tough task.

bsl is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 10:02 PM
  #480
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200
 
99GoHabsGo99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Charlottetown,PE
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,987
vCash: 50
Sorry if this has already been posted
Quote:
HABS WON'T PULL GALCHENYUK FROM WJHC IF LOCKOUT ENDS
Montreal Canadiens draft pick Alex Galchenyuk will remain with Team USA at the World Junior Hockey Championship, even if the National Hockey League lockout ends during the tournament according to La Presse.

As reported on Twitter by Marc-Antoine Godin, Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin has told USA Hockey assistant executive director of hockey operations Jim Johannson that he will not pull their top prospect from Ufa if camp gets under way with a new collective bargaining agreement.

Galchenyuk, who was selected third overall in the 2012 NHL Draft, opens the junior tournament as a top line winger for the U.S. team.

He is currently the second leading scorer in the Ontario Hockey League, notching 27 goals and 34 assists in only 33 games with the Sarnia Sting.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412012

99GoHabsGo99 is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 10:11 PM
  #481
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GoHabsGo99 View Post
Sorry if this has already been posted

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412012
I wonder if Bergevin changed his mind, or if this reporter misinterpreted Bergevin's original statement?

Roulin is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 10:18 PM
  #482
Subban76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I wonder if Bergevin changed his mind, or if this reporter misinterpreted Bergevin's original statement?
Article was written on the 10th before the tournament. Now that tournament as started, he won't pull him out.

Subban76 is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 10:19 PM
  #483
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Snippin' Yank
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,276
vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I wonder if Bergevin changed his mind, or if this reporter misinterpreted Bergevin's original statement?
Judge for yourself:

http://www.rds.ca/zone-video/#cat=re...videoID=117108

Starts at 2:10.

Bergevin did say ''il pourrait'' and ''mon intention''...which did leave some wiggle room, I guess.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now  
Old
12-20-2012, 10:40 PM
  #484
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,560
vCash: 500
I think it's more of a "let him have this experience," than a "we wouldn't recall him." In any case, I think there's very little chance we see a CBA before the end of the WJC.

NotProkofievian is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 11:26 PM
  #485
HankyZetts
Twi2ted
 
HankyZetts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
I think it's more of a "let him have this experience," than a "we wouldn't recall him." In any case, I think there's very little chance we see a CBA before the end of the WJC.
Exactly. I think its a "Lockout won't be over before Jan 1st anyway, so there's no way we're pulling him from medal games for him to not miss a couple days of camp." kind of thing.

If there's NHL this year, he'll still get every chance to make the team, imo.

HankyZetts is online now  
Old
12-20-2012, 11:44 PM
  #486
68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,014
vCash: 500
This is a very positive experience for Gally. There's no need to rush the kid.

68 is offline  
Old
12-21-2012, 04:08 AM
  #487
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot
 
QuebecPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sherbrooke , Qc
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
There is one way to win:

- Scoring more goals than the other team.
- Allowing fewer goals than the other team.

Both are exactly the same. Emphasizing that one zone is always important than the other is pure sloganist BS. Ultimately the system has to fit the players.

Detroit, Pittsburgh, Chicago have all recently won cups with great forwards.

The LA Kings also won a cup recently. People remember Jonathan Quick, and forget that the Kings regularly scored 3, 4, or 5 goals per game.
LA scored 194 goals last season, that's the 2nd worst offensive production.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/standings/

QuebecPride is offline  
Old
12-21-2012, 04:11 AM
  #488
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 5,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
LA scored 194 goals last season, that's the 2nd worst offensive production.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/standings/
I was obviously talking about the playoffs and not the regular season ...

DAChampion is online now  
Old
12-21-2012, 06:13 AM
  #489
GalHabsGal
Registered User
 
GalHabsGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Article was written on the 10th before the tournament. Now that tournament as started, he won't pull him out.
He dont need to pull him out for the Canadiens camps, because Gally can miss the Canadiens camps and still make the team

The Canadiens can always evaluate the kids during the first 9 games


Last edited by GalHabsGal: 12-21-2012 at 06:25 AM. Reason: removing double word
GalHabsGal is offline  
Old
12-21-2012, 06:38 AM
  #490
GalHabsGal
Registered User
 
GalHabsGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 192
vCash: 500
hehe who would use the alarm clock of RDS? lol

"Cette année, le championnat mondial de hockey junior est présenté du 26 décembre au 5 janvier, en direct d’Ufa en Russie. Les affrontements sont souvent présentés à l’aurore. Ne manque rien de l’action et vois les matchs en direct grâce au réveil RDS."

http://www.rdstereveille.ca/

GalHabsGal is offline  
Old
12-21-2012, 06:41 AM
  #491
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Part of the reason Montreal implemented a defensive system is that we lack high-end offensive talent.

That will now change.
Bergevin clearly stated that this will be a strong defensive team moving forward.......

Does Detroit lack high-end offensive talent? The answer is no and their system is based on the neutral zone trap and a complete commitment to defence from their stars. Bylsma is another defensive system coach who has even managed to get Malkin to buy in to the system. You don't win Stanley Cups without placing emphasis on the defensive side of the game. Strong defence creates turnovers which in turn results in scoring chances.

The top defensive teams have won the Stanley cup in consecutive seasons. Any attempt to twist the facts to support your weak arguement is simply just an example of arguing for the sake of arguing. Offence first clubs inevitably have to learn to play defence first in order to win championships, otherwise they end up being perennial losers in the playoffs. You will not find a single NHL coach who would disagree with what I am saying.

This debate is basically a waste of my time as you are just looking for an arguement that you can't possibly win. Let's get this thread back onto Galchenyuk where it belongs.

Estimated_Prophet is offline  
Old
12-21-2012, 07:02 AM
  #492
Forgedias
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
I've been following these boards for a few years now as an intrested spectator at the debates and news of the going on's of the Montreal Canadiens and their affiliated clubs. Its only because of this draft class that I wanted to express myself and give voice to my thoughts that I figured now would be a good time to discuss them.

I grew up following the Canadiens, this 2012 draft class, never in my memory do I recall ever having this high of a draft pick. So I was excited to see who we would draft, even though this draft was suppossed to be a defenseman heavy draft, there still were some good forwards available and my hope was that Montreal would focus on forwards since we were already deep on defenseman prospects. I also was keen on seeing how our new GM Marc Bergevin was going to handle himself and see how he will draft, after all he helped build the Chicago Blackhawks who are perennial Stanley Cup contenders now. So knowing all this I did have to temper my hopes since the 2012 draft class was a weak overall draft class. My only hope was that like most of the people here that he draft Alexander Galchenyuk and i would be satisfied with that. Montreal desperately needed a top franchise centerman to help revitalize the club.

Marc Bergevin didn't disappoint and he drafted Alexander Galchenyuk to the cheers of all Hab fans. Even with him only playing a few games that year because of his injury, his potential was there for everyone to see, he may not have had the resume of Nail Yakupov, but Galchenyuk's upside was potential huge. A cornerstone franchise centerman you can build on to make a team better like Pittsburgh did with Sydney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. They understood by building through the middle you can create a strong franchise that can contend for years to come.

As I said before I would of been more then happy just to get Galchenyuk in the draft, but Trevor Timmins added more luster to his resume when he added a stellar class of forwards to the 2012 draft for Montreal. With Sebastian Collberg in my opinion as the steal of the draft since he was ranked as high as 11th in some draft boards and dropped to 33rd to Montreal. For me he is a top10 player and in essence Montreal picked up two top number one picks in the draft.

But to go back to Galchenyuk, he is every teams dream of what a top franchise centerman should be. Plays big, great vision and great puck moving skills. I was very surprised that the Columbus Bluejackets didn't draft Galchenyuk and pair him with Rick Nash to create a dynamic top line that would not only turn Columbus around but bring fans to their stadium. Happily Bergevin did not make this mistake and after watching the Youtube videos posted by the members from this forum and watching some highlights on the OHL website, I have say Galchenyuk has allayed everyone's fears that his injury has slowed him down. He not only is tied for the goal lead, but is only one point behind the lead scorer in the league who is a year older then him.

For me if Montreal is to become a perennial Stanley Cup contending team, Alexander Galchenyuk was the first step. Get that cornerstone centerman that will make the team better as a whole. I would even add that to contend for the cup, you need two such centerman which is why this 2013 draft is looking so important for Montreal. For Galchenyuk, I would say all he has to do is keep playing as he is doing now and continue to grow his game. He already is better then everyone around him, there are some on these forums who think he shouldn't be rushed, I'm going to beg to differ with that for a reason.

Alexander Galchenyuk, even if he has a stellar Junior Worlds and puts up lots of points, I still believe he should return to the OHL and continue to play this year. If we have a shortened NHL season, then I can see the Montreal organization calling Galchenyuk up for a few games so he can get acclimated to the pace of the game at the NHL level, but I seriously doubt they would want to burn a year off his eligibility, but next year in 2013, Galchenyuk will join the club full time. I just don't see how he won't be there because his game is growing at such a level that he's already the best player in the OHL, would spending a year in the AHL really help him?

The question does have to be asked if he does move up full time in 2013, would we want him to play center right away like Edmonton did with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins centering the line with Hall and Eberle, or do we do like Pittsburgh did with Sydney Crosby and have him play wing for a year and slowly bring him into his new responsablities. I think the answer will be both actually. He'll probably start off at wing on the second line but as his game matures, and I have faith it will, we will start seeing him center a line and we may even see him center the top line with Max Pacioretty and Erik Cole as the year progresses. It really all depends on Galchenyuk and how fast he is willing to learn, and by judging the way he is playing in the OHL and the pre-game with Sweden, he is learning fast.

Lastly I want to touch on the thorny debate on whether he should be more defensively inclined or go more offense. ALOT of people have been comparing Alex Galchenyuk to Jonathan Toews because Galchenyuk also plays on the penalty kill with Sarnia. I really don't see how they can be compared. Toews is an exceptional defensive forward that can put up a steady 70pts a season. Something very few forwards in his category can do. Galchenyuk for me reminds me alot of Evgeni Malkin. Not because I want him to be a 50goal scorer, although that would be nice, but Galchenyuk plays very big on the ice, he has a wide stance like Malkin has and his dekes and dangles are already becoming legendary. He also has another Malkin trait in that its very hard to move him off the puck when he has it. The only thing they don't share is Malkin doesn't play on the PK while Galchenyuk does at Sarnia.

As to the debate whether Galchenyuk should go down the road as a defensive or offensive prospect, I think the best answer is to let Galchenyuk develop into the player that he is meant to be. He has great vision, great hands and an awareness of what is going on around him. Those qualities are already there for us to see and should translate into a dominating centerman that will terrorize his division and any team he faces in the forceable future. He understands the pressure because early in his life he's had to deal with it when he had to make hard choices to which country he wanted to play for. He gave up his dual citizenship so he could play for the USA junior team. Players like these that are cognitant of their actions at his age should do well in the pressure packed envirment that will be required of him as he plays for Montreal.

I am very excited for the future of the Montreal Canadiens. Its been a VERY long time that I have been this excited, for me Alexander Galchenyuk is a steal, not because he was third in the draft and two others were drafted ahead of him, no, he is a steal because he was there at the right time to come when the Montreal Canadiens were in desperate need of his calibur of talent. They didn't need another defensive prospect, they didn't need a winger, they needed a top line center with skills that can make the whole team better. And you know what, many teams out there would mortgage their future to find a centerman like Galchenyuk because of what he can potential bring to the club. For Montreal, everything worked in this 2012 draft, Galchenyuk's injury helped push his stock down enough that even if Nail Yakupov was the consensus first pick with a healthy Galchenyuk, would then Columbus be tempted to pick him over Ryan Murray? My thoughts would be yes, Galchenyuk would of gone second overall if he was healthy. So yes I do feel this pick was a steal for Montreal. We got what we desperately needed at a time of great need.

I'm going to go over to the 2013 draft thread and talk about this draft class, this class to me is now very important, not just because its a loaded draft with as many as 40 players that could go in the first round. But its loaded with top line centerman and multiple powerforwards that all teams are looking for. There is 4 forwards that are close to eachother in skills that I think Montreal should focus on and my thoughts on having two top line centers to anchor your club with to win champions with, this draft has them and its critical that montreal try and nab one of them. These two draft classes will be the cornerstone building blocks to a strong team for the near future, with a first and 3 seconds in the 2013 draft, Montreal is in very good shape to pick up many quality talents in the draft.

Forgedias is offline  
Old
12-21-2012, 07:10 AM
  #493
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200
 
99GoHabsGo99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Charlottetown,PE
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,987
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgedias View Post
I've been following these boards for a few years now as an intrested spectator at the debates and news of the going on's of the Montreal Canadiens and their affiliated clubs. Its only because of this draft class that I wanted to express myself and give voice to my thoughts that I figured now would be a good time to discuss them.

I grew up following the Canadiens, this 2012 draft class, never in my memory do I recall ever having this high of a draft pick. So I was excited to see who we would draft, even though this draft was suppossed to be a defenseman heavy draft, there still were some good forwards available and my hope was that Montreal would focus on forwards since we were already deep on defenseman prospects. I also was keen on seeing how our new GM Marc Bergevin was going to handle himself and see how he will draft, after all he helped build the Chicago Blackhawks who are perennial Stanley Cup contenders now. So knowing all this I did have to temper my hopes since the 2012 draft class was a weak overall draft class. My only hope was that like most of the people here that he draft Alexander Galchenyuk and i would be satisfied with that. Montreal desperately needed a top franchise centerman to help revitalize the club.

Marc Bergevin didn't disappoint and he drafted Alexander Galchenyuk to the cheers of all Hab fans. Even with him only playing a few games that year because of his injury, his potential was there for everyone to see, he may not have had the resume of Nail Yakupov, but Galchenyuk's upside was potential huge. A cornerstone franchise centerman you can build on to make a team better like Pittsburgh did with Sydney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. They understood by building through the middle you can create a strong franchise that can contend for years to come.

As I said before I would of been more then happy just to get Galchenyuk in the draft, but Trevor Timmins added more luster to his resume when he added a stellar class of forwards to the 2012 draft for Montreal. With Sebastian Collberg in my opinion as the steal of the draft since he was ranked as high as 11th in some draft boards and dropped to 33rd to Montreal. For me he is a top10 player and in essence Montreal picked up two top number one picks in the draft.

But to go back to Galchenyuk, he is every teams dream of what a top franchise centerman should be. Plays big, great vision and great puck moving skills. I was very surprised that the Columbus Bluejackets didn't draft Galchenyuk and pair him with Rick Nash to create a dynamic top line that would not only turn Columbus around but bring fans to their stadium. Happily Bergevin did not make this mistake and after watching the Youtube videos posted by the members from this forum and watching some highlights on the OHL website, I have say Galchenyuk has allayed everyone's fears that his injury has slowed him down. He not only is tied for the goal lead, but is only one point behind the lead scorer in the league who is a year older then him.

For me if Montreal is to become a perennial Stanley Cup contending team, Alexander Galchenyuk was the first step. Get that cornerstone centerman that will make the team better as a whole. I would even add that to contend for the cup, you need two such centerman which is why this 2013 draft is looking so important for Montreal. For Galchenyuk, I would say all he has to do is keep playing as he is doing now and continue to grow his game. He already is better then everyone around him, there are some on these forums who think he shouldn't be rushed, I'm going to beg to differ with that for a reason.

Alexander Galchenyuk, even if he has a stellar Junior Worlds and puts up lots of points, I still believe he should return to the OHL and continue to play this year. If we have a shortened NHL season, then I can see the Montreal organization calling Galchenyuk up for a few games so he can get acclimated to the pace of the game at the NHL level, but I seriously doubt they would want to burn a year off his eligibility, but next year in 2013, Galchenyuk will join the club full time. I just don't see how he won't be there because his game is growing at such a level that he's already the best player in the OHL, would spending a year in the AHL really help him?

The question does have to be asked if he does move up full time in 2013, would we want him to play center right away like Edmonton did with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins centering the line with Hall and Eberle, or do we do like Pittsburgh did with Sydney Crosby and have him play wing for a year and slowly bring him into his new responsablities. I think the answer will be both actually. He'll probably start off at wing on the second line but as his game matures, and I have faith it will, we will start seeing him center a line and we may even see him center the top line with Max Pacioretty and Erik Cole as the year progresses. It really all depends on Galchenyuk and how fast he is willing to learn, and by judging the way he is playing in the OHL and the pre-game with Sweden, he is learning fast.

Lastly I want to touch on the thorny debate on whether he should be more defensively inclined or go more offense. ALOT of people have been comparing Alex Galchenyuk to Jonathan Toews because Galchenyuk also plays on the penalty kill with Sarnia. I really don't see how they can be compared. Toews is an exceptional defensive forward that can put up a steady 70pts a season. Something very few forwards in his category can do. Galchenyuk for me reminds me alot of Evgeni Malkin. Not because I want him to be a 50goal scorer, although that would be nice, but Galchenyuk plays very big on the ice, he has a wide stance like Malkin has and his dekes and dangles are already becoming legendary. He also has another Malkin trait in that its very hard to move him off the puck when he has it. The only thing they don't share is Malkin doesn't play on the PK while Galchenyuk does at Sarnia.

As to the debate whether Galchenyuk should go down the road as a defensive or offensive prospect, I think the best answer is to let Galchenyuk develop into the player that he is meant to be. He has great vision, great hands and an awareness of what is going on around him. Those qualities are already there for us to see and should translate into a dominating centerman that will terrorize his division and any team he faces in the forceable future. He understands the pressure because early in his life he's had to deal with it when he had to make hard choices to which country he wanted to play for. He gave up his dual citizenship so he could play for the USA junior team. Players like these that are cognitant of their actions at his age should do well in the pressure packed envirment that will be required of him as he plays for Montreal.

I am very excited for the future of the Montreal Canadiens. Its been a VERY long time that I have been this excited, for me Alexander Galchenyuk is a steal, not because he was third in the draft and two others were drafted ahead of him, no, he is a steal because he was there at the right time to come when the Montreal Canadiens were in desperate need of his calibur of talent. They didn't need another defensive prospect, they didn't need a winger, they needed a top line center with skills that can make the whole team better. And you know what, many teams out there would mortgage their future to find a centerman like Galchenyuk because of what he can potential bring to the club. For Montreal, everything worked in this 2012 draft, Galchenyuk's injury helped push his stock down enough that even if Nail Yakupov was the consensus first pick with a healthy Galchenyuk, would then Columbus be tempted to pick him over Ryan Murray? My thoughts would be yes, Galchenyuk would of gone second overall if he was healthy. So yes I do feel this pick was a steal for Montreal. We got what we desperately needed at a time of great need.

I'm going to go over to the 2013 draft thread and talk about this draft class, this class to me is now very important, not just because its a loaded draft with as many as 40 players that could go in the first round. But its loaded with top line centerman and multiple powerforwards that all teams are looking for. There is 4 forwards that are close to eachother in skills that I think Montreal should focus on and my thoughts on having two top line centers to anchor your club with to win champions with, this draft has them and its critical that montreal try and nab one of them. These two draft classes will be the cornerstone building blocks to a strong team for the near future, with a first and 3 seconds in the 2013 draft, Montreal is in very good shape to pick up many quality talents in the draft.
Welcome To The Boards, Quite The First Post

99GoHabsGo99 is offline  
Old
12-21-2012, 07:12 AM
  #494
Le CH
Registered User
 
Le CH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgedias View Post
I've been following these boards for a few years now as an intrested spectator at the debates and news of the going on's of the Montreal Canadiens and their affiliated clubs. Its only because of this draft class that I wanted to express myself and give voice to my thoughts that I figured now would be a good time to discuss them.
LOL... you should post more often instead of suppressing all these thoughts and throwing them all in one post (-:

Le CH is online now  
Old
12-21-2012, 07:17 AM
  #495
Forgedias
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le CH View Post
LOL... you should post more often instead of suppressing all these thoughts and throwing them all in one post (-:
My preference is to read and nod in agreement with posts. My stance has never been to engage in healthy debates, but in this case its different. Alex Galchenyuk could potentially be a franchise changing player for Montreal. He really is the real deal. Bottling it up would be unwise.

Forgedias is offline  
Old
12-21-2012, 07:23 AM
  #496
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgedias View Post
I've been following these boards for a few years now as an intrested spectator at the debates and news of the going on's of the Montreal Canadiens and their affiliated clubs. Its only because of this draft class that I wanted to express myself and give voice to my thoughts that I figured now would be a good time to discuss them.

I grew up following the Canadiens, this 2012 draft class, never in my memory do I recall ever having this high of a draft pick. So I was excited to see who we would draft, even though this draft was suppossed to be a defenseman heavy draft, there still were some good forwards available and my hope was that Montreal would focus on forwards since we were already deep on defenseman prospects. I also was keen on seeing how our new GM Marc Bergevin was going to handle himself and see how he will draft, after all he helped build the Chicago Blackhawks who are perennial Stanley Cup contenders now. So knowing all this I did have to temper my hopes since the 2012 draft class was a weak overall draft class. My only hope was that like most of the people here that he draft Alexander Galchenyuk and i would be satisfied with that. Montreal desperately needed a top franchise centerman to help revitalize the club.

Marc Bergevin didn't disappoint and he drafted Alexander Galchenyuk to the cheers of all Hab fans. Even with him only playing a few games that year because of his injury, his potential was there for everyone to see, he may not have had the resume of Nail Yakupov, but Galchenyuk's upside was potential huge. A cornerstone franchise centerman you can build on to make a team better like Pittsburgh did with Sydney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. They understood by building through the middle you can create a strong franchise that can contend for years to come.

As I said before I would of been more then happy just to get Galchenyuk in the draft, but Trevor Timmins added more luster to his resume when he added a stellar class of forwards to the 2012 draft for Montreal. With Sebastian Collberg in my opinion as the steal of the draft since he was ranked as high as 11th in some draft boards and dropped to 33rd to Montreal. For me he is a top10 player and in essence Montreal picked up two top number one picks in the draft.

But to go back to Galchenyuk, he is every teams dream of what a top franchise centerman should be. Plays big, great vision and great puck moving skills. I was very surprised that the Columbus Bluejackets didn't draft Galchenyuk and pair him with Rick Nash to create a dynamic top line that would not only turn Columbus around but bring fans to their stadium. Happily Bergevin did not make this mistake and after watching the Youtube videos posted by the members from this forum and watching some highlights on the OHL website, I have say Galchenyuk has allayed everyone's fears that his injury has slowed him down. He not only is tied for the goal lead, but is only one point behind the lead scorer in the league who is a year older then him.

For me if Montreal is to become a perennial Stanley Cup contending team, Alexander Galchenyuk was the first step. Get that cornerstone centerman that will make the team better as a whole. I would even add that to contend for the cup, you need two such centerman which is why this 2013 draft is looking so important for Montreal. For Galchenyuk, I would say all he has to do is keep playing as he is doing now and continue to grow his game. He already is better then everyone around him, there are some on these forums who think he shouldn't be rushed, I'm going to beg to differ with that for a reason.

Alexander Galchenyuk, even if he has a stellar Junior Worlds and puts up lots of points, I still believe he should return to the OHL and continue to play this year. If we have a shortened NHL season, then I can see the Montreal organization calling Galchenyuk up for a few games so he can get acclimated to the pace of the game at the NHL level, but I seriously doubt they would want to burn a year off his eligibility, but next year in 2013, Galchenyuk will join the club full time. I just don't see how he won't be there because his game is growing at such a level that he's already the best player in the OHL, would spending a year in the AHL really help him?

The question does have to be asked if he does move up full time in 2013, would we want him to play center right away like Edmonton did with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins centering the line with Hall and Eberle, or do we do like Pittsburgh did with Sydney Crosby and have him play wing for a year and slowly bring him into his new responsablities. I think the answer will be both actually. He'll probably start off at wing on the second line but as his game matures, and I have faith it will, we will start seeing him center a line and we may even see him center the top line with Max Pacioretty and Erik Cole as the year progresses. It really all depends on Galchenyuk and how fast he is willing to learn, and by judging the way he is playing in the OHL and the pre-game with Sweden, he is learning fast.

Lastly I want to touch on the thorny debate on whether he should be more defensively inclined or go more offense. ALOT of people have been comparing Alex Galchenyuk to Jonathan Toews because Galchenyuk also plays on the penalty kill with Sarnia. I really don't see how they can be compared. Toews is an exceptional defensive forward that can put up a steady 70pts a season. Something very few forwards in his category can do. Galchenyuk for me reminds me alot of Evgeni Malkin. Not because I want him to be a 50goal scorer, although that would be nice, but Galchenyuk plays very big on the ice, he has a wide stance like Malkin has and his dekes and dangles are already becoming legendary. He also has another Malkin trait in that its very hard to move him off the puck when he has it. The only thing they don't share is Malkin doesn't play on the PK while Galchenyuk does at Sarnia.

As to the debate whether Galchenyuk should go down the road as a defensive or offensive prospect, I think the best answer is to let Galchenyuk develop into the player that he is meant to be. He has great vision, great hands and an awareness of what is going on around him. Those qualities are already there for us to see and should translate into a dominating centerman that will terrorize his division and any team he faces in the forceable future. He understands the pressure because early in his life he's had to deal with it when he had to make hard choices to which country he wanted to play for. He gave up his dual citizenship so he could play for the USA junior team. Players like these that are cognitant of their actions at his age should do well in the pressure packed envirment that will be required of him as he plays for Montreal.

I am very excited for the future of the Montreal Canadiens. Its been a VERY long time that I have been this excited, for me Alexander Galchenyuk is a steal, not because he was third in the draft and two others were drafted ahead of him, no, he is a steal because he was there at the right time to come when the Montreal Canadiens were in desperate need of his calibur of talent. They didn't need another defensive prospect, they didn't need a winger, they needed a top line center with skills that can make the whole team better. And you know what, many teams out there would mortgage their future to find a centerman like Galchenyuk because of what he can potential bring to the club. For Montreal, everything worked in this 2012 draft, Galchenyuk's injury helped push his stock down enough that even if Nail Yakupov was the consensus first pick with a healthy Galchenyuk, would then Columbus be tempted to pick him over Ryan Murray? My thoughts would be yes, Galchenyuk would of gone second overall if he was healthy. So yes I do feel this pick was a steal for Montreal. We got what we desperately needed at a time of great need.

I'm going to go over to the 2013 draft thread and talk about this draft class, this class to me is now very important, not just because its a loaded draft with as many as 40 players that could go in the first round. But its loaded with top line centerman and multiple powerforwards that all teams are looking for. There is 4 forwards that are close to eachother in skills that I think Montreal should focus on and my thoughts on having two top line centers to anchor your club with to win champions with, this draft has them and its try and nab one of them. These two draft classes will be the cornerstone building blocks to a strong team for the near future, with a first and 3 seconds in the 2013 draft, Montreal is in very good shape to pick up many quality talents in the draft.
Nice Post!

There is always a problem when comparing prospects to current NHLers as no two players are the same. I am not crazy about the Malkin comparison as Malkin is considerably bigger and faster than Galchenyuk. He actually reminds me alot more of Marian Hossa in the way that he moves and sees the ice. Hossa is also bigger and faster but to a lesser degree than Malkin. This comparison is also flawed as Galchenyuk projects to play center whereas Hossa is a winger but they have very similar skillsets.

The Toews comparison is more of a comparison of two way centers who have a burning drive to win and compete. Malkin was a bit of a floater early in his career and has had to learn how to play a complete game.

Galchenyuk will carve out his own identity and hopefully for years to come people will be trying to draw similarities between himself and newly drafted franchise centers.

Estimated_Prophet is offline  
Old
12-21-2012, 08:26 AM
  #497
Montreal Shadow
Registered User
 
Montreal Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
LA scored 194 goals last season, that's the 2nd worst offensive production.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/standings/
If the regular season LA Kings had shown up in the playoffs, they would have gotten swept by the Canucks. The Kings that magically appeared in the playoffs were the ones everybody was expecting since the beginning of the season. They were just very, very late to the party.

Edit: Forgedias, great first post. Welcome to HFboards.


Last edited by Montreal Shadow: 12-21-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Montreal Shadow is online now  
Old
12-21-2012, 08:37 AM
  #498
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,223
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow View Post
If the regular season LA Kings had shown up in the playoffs, they would have gotten swept by the Canucks. The Kings that magically appeared in the playoffs were the ones everybody was expecting since the beginning of the season. They were just very, very late to the party.

Edit: Forgedias, great first post. Welcome to HFboards.
By that logic, no one should ever be allowed to complain when the Habs do their annual sneaking into 8th place routine since, hey, maybe we'll just be late to the party and turn it on hot enough for 20-25 games to win the Stanley Cup.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
12-21-2012, 08:47 AM
  #499
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 25,595
vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GoHabsGo99 View Post
Sorry if this has already been posted


http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412012
I don't think we'll have to worry about this.

Le Tricolore is offline  
Old
12-21-2012, 09:08 AM
  #500
Godzilla
Registered User
 
Godzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgedias View Post





Alexander Galchenyuk, even if he has a stellar Junior Worlds and puts up lots of points, I still believe he should return to the OHL and continue to play this year. If we have a shortened NHL season, then I can see the Montreal organization calling Galchenyuk up for a few games so he can get acclimated to the pace of the game at the NHL level, but I seriously doubt they would want to burn a year off his eligibility, but next year in 2013, Galchenyuk will join the club full time. I just don't see how he won't be there because his game is growing at such a level that he's already the best player in the OHL, would spending a year in the AHL really help him?

.
I really enjoyed your post, however if there is one thing I would be mindful of is the above point. I think that in general, people really under estimate the jump from junior hockey, to AHL, then to NHL. Top AHL prospects struggle the first year or two in the NHL, so putting so much pressure on an OHL prospect right now to come to the big leagues and put up similar numbers is not realistic. There is no doubt in my mind that he will have an impact, but as you know Montreal hockey fans are quick to panic.

Godzilla is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.