HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 6)

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Spitsfan67*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Just stop ok you're the same guy that said Hall was on one of the worst teams the Spits had. Hall did pass the puck his first year he had close to 40 assists if I recall correctly. It's funny I bash players but you bash them to so I'm not sure that's an area you want to go to. I expected Ho-Sang to have 20 goals or so this year based on advanced billing. I didn't think that was far fetched. Yes he's a rookie but there are other rookies who are having good seasons if not better than Ho-Sang eg. McDavid, Clarke, McCann, Fabbri, Watson, Salturo, Watson etc.. Ho-Sang isn't in the same class as Hall, Hall won OHL and CHL rookie of the year that isn't going to happen with Ho-Sang. You're right I don't like a lot of players right now because I don't think they're putting forth the effort capable of winning games and the coaching staff isn't doing their job. I have been watching Spitfire hockey since the days of Adam Graves, Kelly Cain, Steve Gibson, Ryan Pawluk and the list goes on. Currently this team is one of the biggest underachieving teams in Windsor Spitfire history.
I think you need to stop you don't understand it's a learning process, he's 16 and is living a way from home in his first season in the best juniour league in the world, is he going to have flaws sure he is but it's apart of the process in two years it's going to be all good things...you need to stop being so hard on the kid he really doesn't have much to work with on this offensively handicap team.

Old
12-20-2012, 11:35 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
I agree with you. Ho-sang still struggles with the TEAM aspect regardless of having 20 assists. He is going to be a hell of a player but he needs to drop the razzle dazzle, move the puck and he can be a more effective player.
I agree with all of that,he is the most skilled player drafted since Taylor Hall,one of few can lift people out of their seats
His skill level and vision is off the charts,its too bad right now Windsor has so much trouble scoring
One can only dream but he with Rychel and Koko would be dynamite,or next yr he with Rychel and Schmaltz who would have gone top 5 if he had committed to the O

Old
12-20-2012, 11:48 AM
OHLTG

Quote:
Yes he's a rookie but there are other rookies who are having good seasons if not better than Ho-Sang eg. McDavid, Clarke, McCann, Fabbri, Watson, Salturo, Watson etc..
McCann and Fabbri both have fewer points, and you put Watson twice.

Ho-Sang is going to be an incredibly talented player in time. He's a bit showy right now, but that's because he comes from a league where he could do that and get away with it every night. A 16-year old kid in his first few months in the O isn't going to simply change his ways and adjust instantly. Give the kid a chance to grow and learn. That's what the O is about. You could say "well, Hall had 40 goals in his rookie year." Hall's also a McDavid type that could put some NHLers to shame. Comparing the two is pointless.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:08 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
McCann and Fabbri both have fewer points, and you put Watson twice.

Ho-Sang is going to be an incredibly talented player in time. He's a bit showy right now, but that's because he comes from a league where he could do that and get away with it every night. A 16-year old kid in his first few months in the O isn't going to simply change his ways and adjust instantly. Give the kid a chance to grow and learn. That's what the O is about. You could say "well, Hall had 40 goals in his rookie year." Hall's also a McDavid type that could put some NHLers to shame. Comparing the two is pointless.
Here's the rub though who's the leader on the team that will take him aside and tell him the showy stuff works in the ice capades but he will have a difficult time taking his game to the next level in the OHL and even if he has dreams of the NHL if he continues to play that way. The biggest void on this team is leadership and guys need to be put on the right path.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:30 PM
jughead42

Geeze, we're piling on Ho sang's shortcomings now? Wow. Just freaking wow. We totally don't deserve to have good players any more.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:40 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Geeze, we're piling on Ho sang's shortcomings now? Wow. Just freaking wow. We totally don't deserve to have good players any more.
It happens in a lot of places London fans talked about Kadri's shortcomings. In Plymouth fans would complain about Legwand it happens in more places than you think. Like I said Ho-Sang has been fine but there's a lot of work to do. Personally I think it has less to do with Ho-Sang and more to do with the poor performance of the team.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:50 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Here's the rub though who's the leader on the team that will take him aside and tell him the showy stuff works in the ice capades but he will have a difficult time taking his game to the next level in the OHL and even if he has dreams of the NHL if he continues to play that way. The biggest void on this team is leadership and guys need to be put on the right path.
...and you know that nobody in the locker room has stepped up to mentor the kid?

Old
12-20-2012, 01:06 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
...and you know that nobody in the locker room has stepped up to mentor the kid?
No because I think this is a rudderless ship at this time. I know we have 2 differently opposing views but things have to change on the ice and in management to get this back on track.

Old
12-20-2012, 01:26 PM
izzys

ho-sang has something u can't teach/coach

its called creativity.. this kid has what it takes

i want to ask one question to this whole board.... who besides mcdavid would you guys rather have had if you could draft again ? and you could talk anyone you want ?

if your answer isnt ho-sang then i want to know why the other person

Old
12-20-2012, 01:30 PM
izzys

i think you guys look at our 2012 draft you have to be happy with what we did in the first 5 rounds

the only pick i didnt like was the 4th round pick when we took nick schmaltz ... i would have rather had Joe Manchurek but thats ok

Old
12-20-2012, 01:33 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzys View Post

i want to ask one question to this whole board.... who besides mcdavid would you guys rather have had if you could draft again ? and you could talk anyone you want ?

Clarke or Fabbri

Old
12-20-2012, 01:35 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:

I would not change my pick if I had a do over,that being said if say SSm took Hosang instead of McCann,i would have taken McCann,those guys are pretty close,HoSang is dynamic,McCann has size,skill a great shot and leadership skills

Old
12-20-2012, 01:39 PM
izzys

Quote:
Clarke or Fabbri
well i think that ho-sang is better then both of them

if we took blake he wouldnt have as many points on our team then ho-sang

as he would have to play behind rychel

but again thats me right i guess u see something different

Old
12-20-2012, 01:46 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
i think you guys look at our 2012 draft you have to be happy with what we did in the first 5 rounds

the only pick i didnt like was the 4th round pick when we took nick schmaltz ... i would have rather had Joe Manchurek but thats ok
I agree with all of what u say,as well instead of Jack Billings in the 6th I would have taken Alex Nedeljkovic the 16 year old goalie in the Plymouth,and in the draft I would chosen the other 2 Manchureks as 1 was taken by Kitchener in the 13th,the other slipped thru the draft,and more then 1 team wished they hadnt,i am speaking of Mark Manchurek a LW and the hardest working of the 3 Manchureks

Old
12-20-2012, 01:53 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
No because I think this is a rudderless ship at this time. I know we have 2 differently opposing views but things have to change on the ice and in management to get this back on track.
I'm not talking about on-ice or management at all. I'm talking about the idea that nobody is showing this kid the way. You don't know that he's not being taught. I don't know that he IS being taught. Implying that there's no leadership in the room, though, is not fair.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:07 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
I'm not talking about on-ice or management at all. I'm talking about the idea that nobody is showing this kid the way. You don't know that he's not being taught. I don't know that he IS being taught. Implying that there's no leadership in the room, though, is not fair.
Why isn't it fair? The team has a worse record than they did at this point last year. There are questions about the discipline of the team, accountability etc..

Old
12-20-2012, 05:51 PM
spits2timechamps

Quote:
Clarke or Fabbri

Ho-sang is 16!!! omg what do you think Kyle Wellwood was like at 16? hmmmmmm do you have an answer for that? This kid has the skills of a Kyle Wellwood he needs time to mature and know when to dangle and when to not...This skill comes one in a million let him play and learn from his mistakes. If he keeps giving up the puck in our zone or holding onto the puck too long 2 years from now THEN you guys can critize him, but until then be patient for **** sakes

Old
12-20-2012, 06:27 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:

Lets say Hosang was gone at #4. It would have taken a ton of balls to select Spencer Watson. U would have had certain doubters, until the season started. U cant teach determination, this kid has tonnes of it. He is currently second in points behing Mcdavid. If Mcdavid didnt get ES , S.Watson would be one of the leading contenders for Rookie of the Year.

Old
12-20-2012, 07:16 PM
youngblood10

Ho Sang is easy to criticize because he has the puck 80% of the time. That is dynamic for a 16 year old in my world. Wanting him to change his game is like asking a sports car to perform like a sedan. He doesn't need to change a thing as he matures he'll became that dream player, doesn't turn it over and knows when to move the puck, controlling the possession game even more finishing off those unreal rushes.

When a player has that much natural talent just let him go and do his thing. He's not a stupid player, it's clear he is going to be a franchise player and a dominate force in the league. He's already shown huge growth.

The Spitfires biggest need was a playmaker with puck skills. That's no secret around these boards. Ho Sang is off the chart in that department. All the intangibles can be debated tick for tack over the best player in that draft class but drafting on pure need the Spits got their man.
I'd say the early returns on the draft in general have been good for Windsor.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:06 PM
hockeyboy4

recently i think ho-sang has been playing alot better, i hope after the break he can keep playing as good as he was

Old
12-20-2012, 09:32 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Why isn't it fair? The team has a worse record than they did at this point last year. There are questions about the discipline of the team, accountability etc..
Fair:

"Are there issues in the locker room? Is someone stepping up to help the youngsters? Are there favourites?"

Unfair:

"This team has no leaders in the room. Nobody is teaching Ho-Sang anything."

See the difference?

Old
12-20-2012, 09:43 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Fair:

"Are there issues in the locker room? Is someone stepping up to help the youngsters? Are there favourites?"

Unfair:

"This team has no leaders in the room. Nobody is teaching Ho-Sang anything."

See the difference?
If I said either you would deny them all so there is no difference.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:03 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by spits2timechamps View Post

Ho-sang is 16!!! omg what do you think Kyle Wellwood was like at 16? hmmmmmm do you have an answer for that? This kid has the skills of a Kyle Wellwood he needs time to mature and know when to dangle and when to not...This skill comes one in a million let him play and learn from his mistakes. If he keeps giving up the puck in our zone or holding onto the puck too long 2 years from now THEN you guys can critize him, but until then be patient for **** sakes
Wellwood had a very good rookie year with the Bulls especially on a veteran laden team which has it's positives and drawbacks. With Ho-Sang on the Spits right now the analogy would be having a terrific running back but absolutely zero offensive line. Ho-Sang has the talent but not the supporting cast. Just frustrating to see good talent squandered, more than likely Ho-Sang has a decent season but the team finishes as an 8th seed and is dispatched in 4 against London. This organization is spinning it's wheels fans/media need to start asking the tough questions. For ownership that wants to be one of the best organizations in the CHL how can that be done when you aren't hanging any banners, winning any playoff rounds? Why has the scouting staff being slashed in half?

Old
12-20-2012, 10:46 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
If I said either you would deny them all so there is no difference.
One is questioning, one is assuming. Question all you want, but don't assume unless you know

Old
12-21-2012, 04:09 AM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
Ho Sang is easy to criticize because he has the puck 80% of the time. That is dynamic for a 16 year old in my world. Wanting him to change his game is like asking a sports car to perform like a sedan. He doesn't need to change a thing as he matures he'll became that dream player, doesn't turn it over and knows when to move the puck, controlling the possession game even more finishing off those unreal rushes.

When a player has that much natural talent just let him go and do his thing. He's not a stupid player, it's clear he is going to be a franchise player and a dominate force in the league. He's already shown huge growth.

The Spitfires biggest need was a playmaker with puck skills. That's no secret around these boards. Ho Sang is off the chart in that department. All the intangibles can be debated tick for tack over the best player in that draft class but drafting on pure need the Spits got their man.
I'd say the early returns on the draft in general have been good for Windsor.
I agree. I like how some people love to spin a clear victory as some sort of mistake. It was a no brainer pick and we should be ecstatic to have a player of that caliber.

Closed Thread