HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hershey (AHL) and Reading (ECHL) 2012-13 Season

Old
12-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

vCash: 500
I'll confess I haven't watched a Reading game this season, but Galiev has 5 points in 7 games in Reading, yet he's "not ready for the ECHL?"

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:14 PM
royals119

He has two goals and three assists. I linked the video of last night's goal - he was handed a breakaway and finished it, nice move to get the goalie to commit, it shows some individual skill, but he didn't beat the defense with speed or moves, just got the puck at the blue line with no one in front of him. I think the other one was a tap in from in close on a rebound. The Royals won 11 in a row before going loss, win, loss, win in the last four. Everybody is getting assists, since the team is scoring - even Grubauer has a couple.

Maybe he is just young and inexperienced, maybe he doesn't speak enough English to understand the systems yet, I don't know. So far he looks like the younger brother who got in the game because somebody didn't show up. The game is going on around him, as he skates around in circles. He certainly doesn't look like an NHL prospect so far. Hopefully I'm wrong and some day I'm saying I saw an NHL all star back when he was a rookie in the ECHL.

royals119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 03:12 PM
royals119

The Royals were on the road last weekend. I watched one game on TV and listened to one on the radio. Galiev seems to be improving - at least the Royals radio announcer is pretty high on him. The TV feed is just the internet feed, rebroadcast on the local cable system, so it is pretty sketchy, but Galiev did seem to be doing better in the neutral zone and d-zone with positioning and making a play on the puck. He was interviewed during one of the intermissions, and he said he wasn't feeling to confident to start, but his team mates have been very welcoming and supportive, and he is starting to feel more comfortable. They have two games at home this weekend, so I'll get a chance to see if he looks better, or if the Radio guy is just blowing smoke. (He is generally pretty honest, but his job is really to sell tickets, and he does have to ride the bus with the team, so he will give them some slack at times)

BTW, Grubauer has been dominating, as you would expect. He was goaltender of the month for the ECHL in November, hasn't given up a soft goal in weeks, and generally does a good job when he comes out of the net. He's slipped once or twice trying to get back in position after an odd bounce of the boards, but it hasn't cost him. With Wellar and Fleming called up to Hershey we will see how he does with a couple of waiver wire pickups replacing them on defense. I expect he will face a few more shots per game, at least until we get some d-men back down.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:57 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by royals119 View Post

BTW, Grubauer has been dominating, as you would expect. He was goaltender of the month for the ECHL in November, hasn't given up a soft goal in weeks, and generally does a good job when he comes out of the net. He's slipped once or twice trying to get back in position after an odd bounce of the boards, but it hasn't cost him. With Wellar and Fleming called up to Hershey we will see how he does with a couple of waiver wire pickups replacing them on defense. I expect he will face a few more shots per game, at least until we get some d-men back down.
You guys are getting Wellar back. He was assigned today. Flemming should be back down soon as Stafford and P. McNeil started skating full contact today. If Flemming plays well maybe he stays and another D Man gets reassigned.

It's glad to hear about Grubauer. His only game in Hershey this year he looked very impressive for never playing an AHL game. I was hoping he would be here this year as the starter but unfortunately the lockout happened. Boy has Washington done a great job of supplying good young goalies for Hershey. Varlamov for a bit, Neuvirth and his 2 Calder Cups, Holtby now, Grubauer in the near future, plus Kostenko and Soberg down the road.

hb11xchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 06:07 PM
hb11xchamps

I know its been a while since Oates and co was sent back to Washington, but after speaking to a family friend I gained a little more insight on the situation. The family friend has a cousin who works closely with the Bears in some capacity and the cousin had said that the whole Oates coming to Hershey to learn from French was a complete joke. Apparently Oates walked around Hershey like his sh** didn't stink and was a complet A-Hole to everyone. According to this guy, Oates ran practice and rarely let French intervine and French and Mann were at practice basically to pick up pucks. I am really hoping Washington didn't make a mistake here by hiring Oates and skipping over John Cooper. Devils fans seemed happy to get rid of him and said his PP in NJ was pretty horrendous. Either way I'm glad he's out of Hershey and the team seems to have been playing a lot better since his exit.

Old
12-14-2012, 06:22 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
I know its been a while since Oates and co was sent back to Washington, but after speaking to a family friend I gained a little more insight on the situation. The family friend has a cousin who works closely with the Bears in some capacity and the cousin had said that the whole Oates coming to Hershey to learn from French was a complete joke. Apparently Oates walked around Hershey like his sh** didn't stink and was a complet A-Hole to everyone. According to this guy, Oates ran practice and rarely let French intervine and French and Mann were at practice basically to pick up pucks. I am really hoping Washington didn't make a mistake here by hiring Oates and skipping over John Cooper. Devils fans seemed happy to get rid of him and said his PP in NJ was pretty horrendous. Either way I'm glad he's out of Hershey and the team seems to have been playing a lot better since his exit.
They still using Oates's system or did they tweak that when he left?

12-14-2012, 06:56 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

So... Is French Caps' next coach?

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 07:50 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
They still using Oates's system or did they tweak that when he left?
I'm pretty sure French tweaked it. When Oates was there the Bears did a lot of dump and chase. Now Hershey seems to be carrying the puck in the zone a lot more

Old
12-14-2012, 07:53 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
So... Is French Caps' next coach?
I can't see that happening until he can prove he can do well without a stacked team (09-10 Calder Cup team coached by French). Has recently taken good but not great Bears teams to back to back first round playoff exits

Old
12-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Ehhh, not going to jump at the bit over some hearsay. I just question how well any situation with two head coaches could work.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:58 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Ehhh, not going to jump at the bit over some hearsay. I just question how well any situation with two head coaches could work.
Yeah I wasn't either because I wasn't sure how reliable the information was. Just thought I would pass along what I had heard because there isn't much to talk about in the world of hockey right now unfortunately.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:39 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
...Either way I'm glad he's out of Hershey and the team seems to have been playing a lot better since his exit.
I'm not going to put too much stock in this as the whole concept of having 2 coaching staffs basically taking turns coaching the team is just dumb IMO. Whether is was Oates' staff or French's that bowed out the team was going to start playing better when they had only one set of voices to listen to.

I've never been a fan of McPhee's coaching decisions or his meddling with his coaches but even by those standards this was one of his dumber ideas...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 09:04 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Orlov injured or scratched tonight?

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:07 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Injured

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:28 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Galiev apparently had an hat trick, in ECHL, but good for his confidence, maybe he goes back to AHL.

Old
12-18-2012, 02:49 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 4 - 3

Does anyone know if you can walk up on game day and buy Bears tickets? We may be in the Hershey area next weekend and I'm not sure how well they draw.

Thanks.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 05:05 PM
royals119

Galiev does look a lot more confident in the offensive end. They've been using him as a forward instead of on the point on the power play, which seems to work a lot better. He seems to be good with the puck in close quarters - rebounds, in traffic, etc. He still gets either lazy or confused in the d-zone though. Two stupid slashing penalties the other night - one where he broke the other forwards stick, and the other he actually broke his own stick, both right in front of the ref, and not really necessary. But if he can scores three goals, and the PK is on a hot streak you can't really complain too much about the penalties.

Galiev actually had the rare combination of the teddy bear toss goal, and the hat trick in the same night. Apparently he wanted a lot of stuff thrown on the ice!

ACC 1224: I go to Bears games occasionally, you can usually buy tickets at the door, but you might be in the upper level. Saturday nights I usually check ticketmaster a few days ahead. If there are good seats available I'll take my chances and save the fees, if the only seats downstairs are corners I'll buy them in advance because they do occasionally sell out. They are the top team in the AHL in attendance every year.

Old
12-18-2012, 06:03 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 4 - 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by royals119 View Post

ACC 1224: I go to Bears games occasionally, you can usually buy tickets at the door, but you might be in the upper level. Saturday nights I usually check ticketmaster a few days ahead. If there are good seats available I'll take my chances and save the fees, if the only seats downstairs are corners I'll buy them in advance because they do occasionally sell out. They are the top team in the AHL in attendance every year.
Thanks for the reply and advice.

If we do go it would be a spur of the moment thing, so I don't want to get tickets ahead of time.

How bad is the Upper Bowl? Is the Arena that big?

Old
12-18-2012, 06:09 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Thanks for the reply and advice.

If we do go it would be a spur of the moment thing, so I don't want to get tickets ahead of time.

Upper Bowl is fine. Its only an 8k+ arena so even those seats are great.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 05:39 AM
Rumblick

Quote:
Quote:

ACC: The Giant Center is actually a 10,500 seat arena, and the upper deck is over the suites, so the view is a bit distant. As far as the seating (personal opinion, of course), I sat upstairs for a concert a year ago (my Bears season seats are downstairs), and between the seats being a tad tight, the access being severely limited and the dual cup holders running into me at every turn, I swore I'd never sit in the 200's again. I've seen AHL games in about 45 different arenas, and I'd put the GC upper deck in the top 5 "worst seats" category.

On the bright side, I bought tickets for a friend coming in for Saturday the 22nd. This was on Monday, the 10th. On that day, buying 3 tickets, I had numerous options. As long as you're flexible on location (not sure how many you've got coming), you should be okay.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 10:34 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 4 - 3

Quote:
Thanks. My Leaf seats are 2nd last row so I'm use to being far back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
ACC: The Giant Center is actually a 10,500 seat arena, and the upper deck is over the suites, so the view is a bit distant. As far as the seating (personal opinion, of course), I sat upstairs for a concert a year ago (my Bears season seats are downstairs), and between the seats being a tad tight, the access being severely limited and the dual cup holders running into me at every turn, I swore I'd never sit in the 200's again. I've seen AHL games in about 45 different arenas, and I'd put the GC upper deck in the top 5 "worst seats" category.

On the bright side, I bought tickets for a friend coming in for Saturday the 22nd. This was on Monday, the 10th. On that day, buying 3 tickets, I had numerous options. As long as you're flexible on location (not sure how many you've got coming), you should be okay.
Just the 4 of us. Wife, 2 little girls(8&5) and myself.

We were just looking to get away for a few days after Christmas and someone suggested the kids would love Hershey World, the wife can shop and it's not too far a drive.

The hockey game is my idea, something has to be in it for me!

Can anyone suggest a decent Hotel with an Indoor Pool?

Old
12-21-2012, 08:32 AM
Rumblick

Quote:
Can anyone suggest a decent Hotel with an Indoor Pool?
If money's no object, your best call is the Hershey Lodge & Convention Center. Large indoor pool, hot tub, game room, everything a family needs.

Looking to save a little? Name your chain. Marriott, Sheraton, Best Western, Country Inn & Suites, Hampton, Hilton, Holiday - all of them have places nearby with all the amenities. Having a family, the Comfort Suites or Counttry Inn & Suites might work best. Hope this helps a little.

Old
12-21-2012, 11:15 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 4 - 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
If money's no object, your best call is the Hershey Lodge & Convention Center. Large indoor pool, hot tub, game room, everything a family needs.

Looking to save a little? Name your chain. Marriott, Sheraton, Best Western, Country Inn & Suites, Hampton, Hilton, Holiday - all of them have places nearby with all the amenities. Having a family, the Comfort Suites or Counttry Inn & Suites might work best. Hope this helps a little.
Thanks, I booked the Comfort Inn at the Park.

I was looking at the Hershey Lodge but we really only need the place to sleep. Seemed like a lot just for that.

Old
12-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Rumblick

Quote:
Thanks, I booked the Comfort Inn at the Park.

I was looking at the Hershey Lodge but we really only need the place to sleep. Seemed like a lot just for that.
It's a nice place. We hold our Booster Club meetings there, and a number of our out-of-town fans stay there on the two-game weekends. Applebees right across the street, and a number of fast-food and sit down places in close proximity, many of them family friendly. Enjoy !!

Old
12-22-2012, 06:46 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Galiev apparently back in the AHL, played on the 19th and is playing right now.