HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2012, 03:55 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Define bright future?

I dunno. I've never been as high on McIlrath as many ppl here have been. I think, at best, he'll end up being a 3rd pairing defenseman who provides grit. Horrendous value for the #10 pick or whatever he was selected at.

Thats just my 2 cents.
I agree 100%. I am not sold on his ability to defend, let alone anything more.

12-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I agree 100%. I am not sold on his ability to defend, let alone anything more.
yeah...personally i woulda trade McIlrath over Erixon in the Nash trade. oh well.

Old
12-20-2012, 04:35 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
It's funny how everyone remembers the one time when they called for the drafting of someone who panned out, but nobody remembers this whole forum yelling to draft Kirill Petrov or Jared Staal in the second round, and being upset when we took Stepan instead.

Let's not whine every time our team doesn't take the player who turns out to be the best one. Despite the fact that our average draft position in the first round was 16.7, we did extremely well. Our picks and undrafted signees can fill a whole NHL squad.

If we had the same average as other teams, we would've drafted only 7 NHLers between 2004 and 2009. Instead, we drafted 13 NHLers, with a couple others still having a shot to make it.
This is kind of OT, but we have some of the best drafting in the league. Even ignoring Hank, we've gotten so many gems in the middle/late rounds

12-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
yeah...personally i woulda trade McIlrath over Erixon in the Nash trade. oh well.
The difference is Erixon is high risk, high reward. We don't need the high potential, we have enough of that. We do need an almost guaranteed NHLer

Old
12-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post
The difference is Erixon is high risk, high reward. We don't need the high potential, we have enough of that. We do need an almost guaranteed NHLer

Not to mention that we have a desperate shortage of RDs like McIlrath while Erixon would've been our 4th LD.

Old
12-20-2012, 11:18 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Tim Erixon aint high risk high reward. Doesn't get much safer then him.

Old
12-20-2012, 11:40 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Not to mention that we have a desperate shortage of RDs like McIlrath while Erixon would've been our 4th LD.
Many left-handed defensemen can play the right side and many teams don't have an equal number of left and right-handed defensemen. I seriously doubt this was a big concern for the Rangers in their decision to trade Erixon.

Old
12-21-2012, 07:01 AM
eco's bones

If McIlrath pans out the way he should and can play regular NHL minutes (15 minutes or more per game) it would give the Rangers something they don't currently have--a big strong physical defenseman who can hit and fight. He might also make the Rangers less susceptible to going out and signing guys like Orr or Booggard. Though he plays a different position a comparable might be Milan Lucic. Someone who can not only add a real physical edge to the team but can really play as well. To me that is more valuable to the Rangers (maybe not so much for other NHL teams--depending on which) than what Erixon projects to be.

Old
12-21-2012, 07:15 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
I don't think Erixon is high risk in the slightest. He's an extremely safe bet to have an NHL career.

It's just pain.
Old
12-21-2012, 08:49 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Only good thing about this lockout is when camps open next year, some of these players on the Whale could make the team with a year in the AHL under their belt..

Old
12-21-2012, 08:52 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Only good thing about this lockout is when camps open next year, some of these players on the Whale could make the team with a year in the AHL under their belt..
like who? other than kreider who would be in the nhl right now and MAYBE miller. who else from the whale is going to even compete for a spot?

Old
12-21-2012, 08:54 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
like who? other than kreider who would be in the nhl right now and MAYBE miller. who else from the whale is going to even compete for a spot?
That's who I was referring to.

I don't like the fact that McIlrath is missing all this time...

Old
12-21-2012, 08:56 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Thomas, Hrivik, Jean, Kreider, McIlrath, Miller

I would say all of those guys will push for a spot. St. Croix, Bourque and McColgan may shine at times as well.

Kolarik is the wild card for me.

Old
12-21-2012, 09:04 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Thomas, Hrivik, Jean, Kreider, McIlrath, Miller

I would say all of those guys will push for a spot. St. Croix, Bourque and McColgan may shine at times as well.

Kolarik is the wild card for me.
i didn't mean that no one in hartford had a future, it was about next september so you can almost certainly rule out st croix and mccolgan, and mcilrath if he doesn't come back soon...if we are talking 2-3 years than i'd agree more with you

Old
12-21-2012, 09:15 AM
Sterling31
Takin' Over

Wonder how Christian Thomas is looking for the Whale? I thought he should have stayed another year in junior.

Old
12-21-2012, 09:16 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
i didn't mean that no one in hartford had a future, it was about next september so you can almost certainly rule out st croix and mccolgan, and mcilrath if he doesn't come back soon...if we are talking 2-3 years than i'd agree more with you
People thought Sanguinetti would make the team over MDZ because he needed more time. People thought Stepan would need time in the AHL.

All I meant was that those players could view for a spot. It all depends on their off-season.

I wouldn't rule McIlrath out for next season. He looked good in pre-season last year. At least he was good enough to be brought to Europe.

Old
12-21-2012, 09:22 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Wonder how Christian Thomas is looking for the Whale? I thought he should have stayed another year in junior.
Why? There would be no benefit for him playing an overage year in juniors. He needs to play against men, and so far he's been doing well.

Old
12-21-2012, 09:27 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Regarding Erixon & so on.
An interesting footnote.
The Nash trade was actually this in terms of actual asset management:
  • Vladimir Malakhov (a free agent that signed with NYR in 2000 - that later became NYRs 2006 2nd round, 60th overall pick in Brandon Dubinsky)
  • Artem Anisimov (NYRs 2006 2nd round, 54th overall pick)
  • NYRs 2nd round pick in 2011 (That was used for acquiring Tim Erixon from Calgary - that then chose Markus Granlund 45th overall)
  • Bobby Sanguinetti a 1st round pick in 2006 - #21 overall (that was traded to Carolina and later used for acquiring Tim Erixon from Calgary - that then chose Tyler Wotherspoon 2011 in the 2nd round, #57 overall)
  • Roman Horak (NYRs 2009 5th round, 127th overall pick later used for acquiring Tim Erixon)
  • NYRs 1st round pick in 2013 - NOT THERE YET

FOR
  • Rick Nash - 1st overall pick by Columbus in 2002
  • Jesper Fast - a 6th round pick /#157 overall/ in 2010 (acquired from Carolina for Bobby Sanguinetti). Still in NYR organisation
  • Shane McColgan - a 5th round pick /#134 overall/ in 2011(acquired from Calgary for Tim Erixon). Still in NYR organisation
  • Steven Delisle - a 4th round pick chosen by Columbus in 2008 as #107 overall acquired along with Rick Nash. Still in NYR organisation
  • CBJs 3rd round pick in 2013 (conditional - the condition being that NYR do not make the SC Finals) - NOT THERE YET
  • Rick Kozak - an AHL scrub that fizzled out and was acquired in the deal that sent Malakhov to Philadelphia

Interesting - no?

Old
12-21-2012, 10:09 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Regarding Erixon & so on.
An interesting footnote.
The Nash trade was actually this in terms of actual asset management:
  • Vladimir Malakhov (a free agent that signed with NYR in 2000 - that later became NYRs 2006 2nd round, 60th overall pick in Brandon Dubinsky)
  • Artem Anisimov (NYRs 2006 2nd round, 54th overall pick)
  • NYRs 2nd round pick in 2011 (That was used for acquiring Tim Erixon from Calgary - that then chose Markus Granlund 45th overall)
  • Bobby Sanguinetti a 1st round pick in 2006 - #21 overall (that was traded to Carolina and later used for acquiring Tim Erixon from Calgary - that then chose Tyler Wotherspoon 2011 in the 2nd round, #57 overall)
  • Roman Horak (NYRs 2009 5th round, 127th overall pick later used for acquiring Tim Erixon)
  • NYRs 1st round pick in 2013 - NOT THERE YET

FOR
  • Rick Nash - 1st overall pick by Columbus in 2002
  • Jesper Fast - a 6th round pick /#157 overall/ in 2010 (acquired from Carolina for Bobby Sanguinetti). Still in NYR organisation
  • Shane McColgan - a 5th round pick /#134 overall/ in 2011(acquired from Calgary for Tim Erixon). Still in NYR organisation
  • Steven Delisle - a 4th round pick chosen by Columbus in 2008 as #107 overall acquired along with Rick Nash. Still in NYR organisation
  • CBJs 3rd round pick in 2013 (conditional - the condition being that NYR do not make the SC Finals) - NOT THERE YET
  • Rick Kozak - an AHL scrub that fizzled out and was acquired in the deal that sent Malakhov to Philadelphia

Interesting - no?
comparing trades like this make no sense to me...but fyi we didn't get dubinsky thru the malakhov trade. that pick was used to move up to get staal.

we traded barnaby for a pick, that pick was traded down for 2 picks, then 1 of those picks was traded down for 2 picks and we took dubi with one of those picks.

Old
12-21-2012, 10:31 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
comparing trades like this make no sense to me...but fyi we didn't get dubinsky thru the malakhov trade. that pick was used to move up to get staal.

we traded barnaby for a pick, that pick was traded down for 2 picks, then 1 of those picks was traded down for 2 picks and we took dubi with one of those picks.
Correct. Messed up on that one.
I was just illustrating the complexity of player action and trades in general and kind of looking at it as if one cannot judge the result of a trade until much later. Not really comparing. And we did get some good years out of Dubinsky & Anisimov already.
Maybe Fast grows into a lethal 2nd liner and we hit the jackpot with the 3rd round CBJ pick (assuming there is no season) next year...

Old
12-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Joey Bones

We need a first rounder this year...

Old
12-21-2012, 02:35 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
We need a first rounder this year...
We have a bunch of 3rd rounders and can easily move up if there's someone on Gordie's radar.

You have 1st round picks, and you have 1st round picks. If you're not drafting in the top-3/5, odds of hitting a high-end player is pretty slim. So complain about not having a 1st rounder if you'd like. Truth is it's not going to break us.

Old
12-21-2012, 02:41 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
We have a bunch of 3rd rounders and can easily move up if there's someone on Gordie's radar.

You have 1st round picks, and you have 1st round picks. If you're not drafting in the top-3/5, odds of hitting a high-end player is pretty slim. So complain about not having a 1st rounder if you'd like. Truth is it's not going to break us.
unless there is no season and it becomes a top 3 pick at which point we'll all kill ourselves LOL

Old
12-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
unless there is no season and it becomes a top 3 pick at which point we'll all kill ourselves LOL
watch there will be no season and somehow Rangers will get the top pick in the lottery...

Old
12-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
I might stop watching NHL.....

Closed Thread