HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2012, 11:04 PM
MaxLacoste

vCash: 500
With more infos on 2nd round prospect in 2013, here's my favorite players that I will look closely. What I think we should target for are a offensive winger , a big shutdown defenseman and a long shot. When you have 3 second round pick, you can take a risk on someone.

Winger:
Justin Bailey: Big winger/center with lot of potential. Top 6 potential.
Scott Oke: Big gritty winger who is a team player. Could be a other Moen.

Defense:
Micheal Downing: A big offensive d-men with grit. Good defensively, good mobility.
Mirco Muller: Big swiss d-men. We had luck with Swiss player let's continue with them.

Long Shot:
Valeri Nichushkin: VERY talented, but I just signed a contrat with a KHL team for 3 years. May scare team, but with all our picks, if he's available, please take a chance on him.
Jordan Subban: Could be a smaller version of his brother, PK. Enough said.

Old
12-18-2012, 11:42 PM
hab 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
He manhandled every other opponent he fought against this year and last year and he still as room to add a lot of strength at 6'7" 200 pounds. What I like the most about him his is mobility for a player his size and he has grown into a shutdown role this year and more agressive. I would not rank him in the top-30 like ISS but he would definitely be an interesting project in the mid to late second round.

Old
12-19-2012, 09:29 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
With more infos on 2nd round prospect in 2013, here's my favorite players that I will look closely. What I think we should target for are a offensive winger , a big shutdown defenseman and a long shot. When you have 3 second round pick, you can take a risk on someone.

Winger:

Defense:
Micheal Downing: A big offensive d-men with grit. Good defensively, good mobility.
Mirco Muller: Big swiss d-men. We had luck with Swiss player let's continue with them.

Long Shot:
Valeri Nichushkin: VERY talented, but I just signed a contrat with a KHL team for 3 years. May scare team, but with all our picks, if he's available, please take a chance on him.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think Oke can be signed this summer without having to waste a draft pick on him.

Nichushkin is a top15 pick in this draft. We can only hope he falls to the second round (or the Habs' first is they pick outside the top15). Him signing a 3 year contract may scare some teams off, maybe even the Habs.

Old
12-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but I think Oke can be signed this summer without having to waste a draft pick on him.

Nichushkin is a top15 pick in this draft. We can only hope he falls to the second round (or the Habs' first is they pick outside the top15). Him signing a 3 year contract may scare some teams off, maybe even the Habs.
Oke can be signed after the draft if he is passed up. If he finishes the year at 85-90 points(as his current pace dictates), I think he will get a long look if he keeps playing like he has so far.

Old
12-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
With his 3 year contract I doubt he goes before 25 at this point.

Old
12-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Et le But

Barkov next to Teravainen and Armia.

That kid is just massive...look at him compared to the 6'3", 200 lbs Armia..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
With his 3 year contract I doubt he goes before 25 at this point.
If he's available at 25 you take him and run.

Old
12-19-2012, 05:00 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab 4ever View Post
He manhandled every other opponent he fought against this year and last year and he still as room to add a lot of strength at 6'7" 200 pounds. What I like the most about him his is mobility for a player his size and he has grown into a shutdown role this year and more agressive. I would not rank him in the top-30 like ISS but he would definitely be an interesting project in the mid to late second round.
the guy have 5 fighting major under is belt and only one of them was again a big guy that drop the gloves from time to time. He is not what some poster think...

Old
12-19-2012, 05:18 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post

Winger:

Defense:

Long Shot:
Good list. I really like Bailey. He's big, strong and has great hands. He's got an absolutely wicked wrist shot that he doesn't use nearly enough. He also is great along the boards and in front of the net, but he's tentative in those areas for the most part. He's possibly the definition of a project, but the upside is huge.

Also really like Mirco Mueller. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned him before, but he doesn't get nearly enough hype. He thinks the game so good. He has great vision and is a pretty good skater to.

Speaking of underrated, I think Dillon Heatherington is exactly that. His team, Swift Current, has played against Saskatoon twice in the past week and every time I get blown away by this kid. He's big, tall, physical, and smart. His hockey IQ is off the charts.

Old
12-19-2012, 08:41 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Good list. I really like Bailey. He's big, strong and has great hands. He's got an absolutely wicked wrist shot that he doesn't use nearly enough. He also is great along the boards and in front of the net, but he's tentative in those areas for the most part. He's possibly the definition of a project, but the upside is huge.

Also really like Mirco Mueller. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned him before, but he doesn't get nearly enough hype. He thinks the game so good. He has great vision and is a pretty good skater to.

Speaking of underrated, I think Dillon Heatherington is exactly that. His team, Swift Current, has played against Saskatoon twice in the past week and every time I get blown away by this kid. He's big, tall, physical, and smart. His hockey IQ is off the charts.
Those first 2 are on my definitely want list. Mostly because I think they will slip in the draft. I disagree about Bailey being good at board play though.

Old
12-19-2012, 10:02 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

Barkov next to Teravainen and Armia.

That kid is just massive...look at him compared to the 6'3", 200 lbs Armia..

If he's available at 25 you take him and run.
Damn, I can't believe the first pic. He must be wearing shoes/boots that give him 1-2 inch advantage over Armia because otherwise, he's some 6'6'' monster. But in any case, just look how massive he looks compared to Armia... Built like a truck. For anybody that was saying that MacKinnon had speed over Barkov, well, Barkov has a big size advantage too and if he reduces the gap in terms of skating, I think the fundamentals will tilt on his side. That's without considering how well they adjust to the NHL with their respective hockey sense/vision which are both excellent.

Old
12-19-2012, 10:55 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Damn, I can't believe the first pic. He must be wearing shoes/boots that give him 1-2 inch advantage over Armia because otherwise, he's some 6'6'' monster. But in any case, just look how massive he looks compared to Armia... Built like a truck. For anybody that was saying that MacKinnon had speed over Barkov, well, Barkov has a big size advantage too and if he reduces the gap in terms of skating, I think the fundamentals will tilt on his side. That's without considering how well they adjust to the NHL with their respective hockey sense/vision which are both excellent.
I don't know if size is all that important at that point. What's the difference between 6'3'' and 6'6'' for a forward? For a defenseman, I get the point, but for a forward? You need to have a strong core, but height is a tad overrated. Just look at the very best player in the game, who's 5'11'' but over 200 lbs. In my opinion, fundamentals is a blend of balance and strength. Mackinnon is well built for a kid of his age. I don't think he'll have that much trouble to impose himself in the big league.

Old
12-19-2012, 11:41 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
I don't know if size is all that important at that point. What's the difference between 6'3'' and 6'6'' for a forward? For a defenseman, I get the point, but for a forward? You need to have a strong core, but height is a tad overrated. Just look at the very best player in the game, who's 5'11'' but over 200 lbs. In my opinion, fundamentals is a blend of balance and strength. Mackinnon is well built for a kid of his age. I don't think he'll have that much trouble to impose himself in the big league.
What impresses me about Barkov is less his pure height (though he's probably about 6'4" for what it's worth, so that's a plus; the picture probably makes him look slightly bigger than he is) but just how big his frame is. He's built like a football player. And while he might not have the elite breakaway speed of someone like Mackinnon (and speed is why Mackinnon is still special), he's faster than someone that big should be.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:30 AM
FF de Mars

I like Rasmus Ristolainen, a 6'3 solid D man with a very good shot.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:37 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Depending upon the Habs draft position or possibly trading for another 1st round pick,Ristolainen and Nicushkin would be great picks.Each player would be through their fine tuning in the Swedish Elite or KHL within 3 years and probably ready for the NHL.Two really impressive talents to add to a Habs team ready to challenge for the "Elite" echelon in the NHL.Saving the three 2nd round selections for say Mantha,Wennberg and Carrier,with a 3rd round pick for Morin or McNulty(Prince George LD)Big Dmen.

Old
12-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
My pick.

I remember when I first noticed him last year, only his skating made me watch his game vs USA. The way the puck flows on his stick, reminds me of so many great Dman in the NHL. Do it, Timmins, do it.

Old
12-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Et le But

Quote:
My favourite D in this draft easily. Only Jones has more talent.

Old
12-20-2012, 03:34 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Size is as advantageous for a forward as it is for a defenseman. Just think of Lemieux. Sure the guy had insane talent and would've probably succeeded if he was 5'10' instead of 6'4'' but what made him such a generational talent was his skills mixed with his size. Lemieux didn't necessarily use his size to punish other players like a Lindros or Pronger, but he used it to protect the puck and steal pucks with his long reach. Think how hard it is for a smaller player to reach the puck when a player with a mix of excellent stickhandling and size like Barkov or Lemieux can move the puck on his stick in a radius of 10 feet. In a moment, the puck is 6 feet away. I'm not saying Barkov is near Lemieux in terms of skills, but there's no denying size is a huge advantage for a forward too. He can see the ice better from his height for example too. Finally, there's also the fact that it's harder to physically intimidate and dominate a 6'4'' player.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 613
TVA Sports showing Remparts @ Tigres now.

Erne looks awesome, 2 assists already. Definitely my favorite if we don't have a top 10 pick.

Duclair has 2 goals, but both were sort of cheezy.

Old
12-20-2012, 09:14 PM
NateTheGr8

get barkov please

Gally-Barkov-Collberg

Old
12-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
TVA Sports showing Remparts @ Tigres now.

Erne looks awesome, 2 assists already. Definitely my favorite if we don't have a top 10 pick.

Duclair has 2 goals, but both were sort of cheezy.
Not sure Erne actually makes it out of the top-10 the way things are going for him. Duclair had a good game too. Like you said, lucky goals but still he was buzzing aroung the net for most of the game.

Old
12-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Forgedias

This 2013 draft class has the potential to be one of the stongest draft classes in many years. With as many has 40 players that could potentially go in the first round, the idea that you can predict with any accuracy who will be a first rounder will be difficult. With the exception of the top 3 players, Nathan MacKinnon, Seth Jones and possibly Alexander Barkov being the consensus top 3 picks of the 2013 draft. Every other player will be up in the air where they will place.

I believe for a team to become a Stanley Cup contending team, you need to start at the middle, the centerman. Yes goalkeepers are key and a strong defense corps is also important, but without the key centerman to anchor your offense together, there is very little a team can do in making themselves better. A franchise centerman helps your whole team to become better, gives a strong spine to your whole team on the offense and on the defense as well. And by this I mean if your franchise centerman can force the other team to keep their checking line on, your denying them scoring opportunities because their checking line isn't going to score many goals on you and more importantly your denying them the use of their top lines in the process. So this comes to my belief that to have a contending team for the Stanley Cup, you need two dominant centerman to control the middle. If you need an example, look at Pittsburgh with Sydney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. Having two centerman that can create two dangerous scoring lines forces the opposition to send a checking line out to one of your lines, and forces them to send their scoring line against the other. Its a recipe for disaster because you can match lines to shut their scoring line down with your energy line and keep both your top lines hammering the oppossing team.

Which is why I think this 2013 is so important for Montreal. They already accomplished one part by drafting Alexander Galchenyuk who will be one of the pair of dominant centerman I envision. The other hopefully will come from this draft. There are 4 centerman in this draft that I think Montreal should concentrate on, not including any Russians, since I don't have much faith in them playing for us anytime soon. This draft class will be heavy on forwards unlike 2012 where defenseman were the dominant players, here its the opposite with plenty of top tier forwards that should be looked at.

These 4 forwards are all centerman of course. Each of them are fairly close to eachother in skillwise, we may disagree on who is better but for drafting purposes I want to focus on these 4 players for now. We all know that Nathan MacKinnon will go as the first pick, so for all intents we'll ignore him. The other 3 centerman are Alexander Barkov, Sean Monahan and Elias Lindholm.

Alexander Barkov has good size at 6'2" and 205lbs. Already a big guy and could potentially grow bigger. He has good vision, scores goals and had good hands. Everything you could ask for in a big centerman Barkov has, the problem though is, everyone else knows this. Its why Barkov is probably the consensus 3rd pick unless he has a bad world junior tournament.

Sean Monahan at 6'2" and 194lbs, he also has good size and potential to grow bigger. What should be known about him is he is on a very bad Ottawa 67's team but is their top scorer on their team and when their average plus/minus is -15 and Monahan is only -3 that is saying something considering he does everything for his club. PP and PK as well.

Elias Linholm, the 6', 192lbs swede is a high skill forward that plays very smart with the puck. He can play on the PP and on the PK and is an all round skill guy. We didn't get to see him in the pre tournament game against the USA, but he should help his draft stock when he does play.

Each of these centerman could potentially be franchise changing players for their respected teams. Each possess key attributes in determining how they effect their teams. Barkov plays on the number one line on his club against men who are years older then him. Monahan even though he is stuck in a very bad team, is still performing at a high level despite this and does all the stuff you would expect from a top line forward with defensive responabilities. And Linholm has boatloads of skill but plays well with the puck and is defensively sound. Each of these centerman any team would be blessed to have one of them on their roster, but for Montreal if we could nab one of these key centerman, the Habs would position themselves to create a strong middle that the club can build around and make themselves into a contending team for the Stanley Cup.

The question will be, will any of these forwards be around when Montreal does draft. The possiblity is there though because I for sure didn't expect to see Sebastian Collberg in the second round. I considered him to be a top10 talent. So a player dropping could happen. But lets look at the 2013 draft. First we have to wonder, is there going to be a season played this year? That is key because if we do have a shortened season then more then likely Montreal recovers and returns to the playoffs, with a low seed more then likely. So in essence we are looking at a pick of 15-18 probably. Depending on the needs of teams ahead of us, we could see drops by certain players. More defenseman could be drafted earlier then projected or we could have a run on wingers or power forwards that are always covetted.

If on the other hand the season does get cancelled, then our chances improve slightly at drafting some of those key centerman. For one, we would be in the running for Nathan Mackinnon, not that I would want to focus on him. What I would want if this scenario occurred is to land in the top5 for picks so we would have a chance to draft who we wanted. But say they go back and use the 2005 drafting procedure, I don't see why they would change it otherwise, so we know 50 balls would be active and by the rules, since we were a playoff team for the previous 3 seasons, we would only get one ball. So a 2% chance to land MacKinnon and a 10% chance to land in the top5 pick. Not great odds, but better then if we had a shortened season. What probably would work better for Montreal is if they landed in the top10 side, a 20% chance. Here we still would probably have a good chance at either Monahan or Lindholm depending how Lindholm does at the World Juniors.

In either case whether we have a season or not, whereever our pick lands, Montreal should focus on these forwards and if need be, use one of their 8 picks to move up if they have too. Those 3 second round picks are gold, because this draft is so deep, they should be considered first round picks because of how deep this draft is. Trading a second or a third to move up to ensure they draft Sean Monahan would go a long way to help setting Montreal on the right course.

Out of this draft there will be players that will move up over the intervening time depending how well they do in their league and how good a showing they perform at the Worlds, Jacob de la Rose will probably be a riser. Because of this, its going to be very hard to judge which player could potentially drop to the second round, its really is still too early to judge these players. Regardless if Montreal tries to obtain another centerman or whoever they decide to settle on in the first round. There will be some players that will drop. These are the players that I think should be looked at.

I'm only going to look at forwards for now, with our deep pool of defenseman, stocking up on forwards in a rich forward draft should be paramount.

Artturi Lehkonen 5'10" 163lbs. Plays in the Finnish league and plays against men. A blazing fast high skill forward with great hands. His size might hurt him when it comes to the draft.

Hudson Fasching 6'2" 214lbs. Power forward with good speed. He could go first round or second depending on how high teams value him. Still needs time to develop his game though.

William Carrier 6'2" 194lbs. Power forward with excellent speed, able to skate by defenseman and make them look silly. Plays for a very bad Cape Breton team and is second in scoring with 42pts. Carrier is a very intresting position, he can go very high in the draft because his power, size and speed combine it with the fact he isn't afraid to bang it can make this guy very valuable to teams.

Bowie Horvat 6' 203lbs. Centerman in the mold of a defensive forward with scoring skills. Good at everything including faceoffs. Probably a second round guy, but who knows he has some intresting skills that could pique a GM into taking him in the first round. With Brady Vail already drafted by Montreal, I don't see the Habs drafting this guy, but you never know.

Jacob de la Rose 6'2" 183lbs. Sadly I don't see this guy dropping to the second round. Already he proved against the pre tournament game against the USA that his two way skills are a strong asset. He was one of the better Swedish players in the game.

Justin Bailey 6'3" 190lbs. A work in progress but combine his size and puck handling skills, he has a huge upside to his game.

Alexander Wennberg 6'1" 174lbs. Swedish centerman. Should see him more in the World Juniors. Played wing in the tune up against USA. Has everything that you would consider a swedish forward to have. His draft stock could rise or fall with how well he does.

However the chips fall for Montreal whether we have a season or not. Having access to (1)1st round (3)2nd round (1)5th round (1)6th round and (1)7th round gives Montreal alot of flexiblity to pursue different strategies. Whether they decide that they need that game changing centerman to help solidify their two forward lines or they choose to go in another direction. We as Hab fans should be very happy to have these extra picks in the top half of the draft because however you look at it, we will have a good crop of prospects coming to Montreal in this 2013 draft.

Old
12-21-2012, 11:31 AM
DAChampion

The Habs best odds of a top-5 pick are if a season is played.

Under a 2005 lottery, our odds of a top-5 pick are approximately 10%. If a season is played, it's probably ~50%, but then unlike with a lottery, the odds of drafting outside the top-15 are close to zero.

Old
12-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

Under a 2005 lottery, our odds of a top-5 pick are approximately 10%. If a season is played, it's probably ~50%, but then unlike with a lottery, the odds of drafting outside the top-15 are close to zero.
You think we don't have a chance at playoffs if there's a season lol? There's no way we finish in bottom of east again with a healthy team and Price in net. Ninth is possible but were in playoffs, especially with a shortned season (6-8).

Old
12-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

I don't see the odds of being bottom 5 anywhere close to 50%. More like 10-15%

Last year a slew of things went wrong personnel wise plus the team had horrible luck in 1 goal, OT and SO games that led to finishing 28th instead of say 18-20th as their stats should have put them. A new coach, new GM, new players and a new attitude means all things being equql they should be in the mix for one of the 8 playoff spots...I would say 60-40 to make it. Teams like Ottawa and Florida had the opposite breaks/luck and they should drop.

Old
12-21-2012, 12:21 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post
You think we don't have a chance at playoffs if there's a season lol? There's no way we finish in bottom of east again with a healthy team and Price in net. Ninth is possible but were in playoffs, especially with a shortned season (6-8).
I think our chances at a playoffs are slim.

The impact of a shorter season are slightly more fluctuations (which can go either way) and more games against our division. Since our division is weak, I grant that point #2 helps us out. We don't have to lose as many games against the Rangers, Penguins, Flyers, Devils, etc. if we only play them once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't see the odds of being bottom 5 anywhere close to 50%. More like 10-15%

Last year a slew of things went wrong personnel wise plus the team had horrible luck in 1 goal, OT and SO games that led to finishing 28th instead of say 18-20th as their stats should have put them. A new coach, new GM, new players and a new attitude means all things being equql they should be in the mix for one of the 8 playoff spots...I would say 60-40 to make it. Teams like Ottawa and Florida had the opposite breaks/luck and they should drop.
We've been through this.

Basically, when you evaluate last season, you make a list of everything that went wrong and that "can't" go wrong again, without making the same list of things that went right and "can't" go right again. It's a one-sided analysis that necessarily leads to a prediction of rising from 15th place to 6th place.

By the way, losing 3-2 more frequently than winning 3-2 is about a lot more than luck. It takes skill to score that third goal.

Closed Thread