HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

News around the NHL

Old
12-12-2012, 06:39 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
News around the NHL

I didn't see a thread on the board, to discuss issues facing other teams around the league.

Below are three articles.One is about the San Jose Sharks,with the writer speculating how they'd fit under a $60m 2013-2014 cap.

The second article is about the Canucks possibly losing 27 yr old Edler,who's scheduled to become a ufa. Edler's back surgery muddies the water imo. I'm expecting the new cba to push the cba age back 1-2 yrs,so I'm not convinced Edler will be a ufa.

The third article is about the Avs rfa O'Reilly. He recently signed a 2 yr deal, with the KHL team his brother plays for. There is an out clause : the NHL team has to offer O'Reilly a better contract then he signed with the KHL team. The Avs have the rep for playing hardball with their young rfas.

http://www.fearthefin.com/2012/12/12...a-lockout-2012
Will the Sharks be able to get under the NHL's new salary cap?
By The Neutral on Dec 12, 12:00p
It seems presumptuous to be discussing the 2013-14 season before the 2012-13 season has even begun (although, in fairness, that might never happen) but there have been rumblings that the NHL has thus far been unwilling in CBA negotiations to allow for amnesty buyouts that would ease the league's free-fall from a $70.2 million salary cap ceiling in the (as of yet hypothetical) 12-13 season to just $60 million in 13-14.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ga...#axzz2Et2T9yay
Gallagher: Edler might be the price of NHL lockout for Canucks
By Tony Gallagher, The Province
If there is no season, Vancouver fans might never see the guy in a Canucks uniform again. After all, the team is up against the ceiling of the salary cap which is certainly not going to rise regardless of how the negotiations turn out, and most likely it will shrink considerably depending upon how this “make whole” provision will actually be brought to bear in the final analysis.

There is one caveat here. If they go ahead with the amnesty idea which is floating about which would allow the Canucks to dump the contract of Keith Ballard, it would immediately liberate $4.2 million in cap space.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...khl-metallurg/
Colorado’s O’Reilly signs two-year deal with KHL Metallurg
Mike Halford
Dec 7, 2012, 10:50 AM EST
Metallurg suggested he would stay in Russia unless an NHL team outbid the Russians for his services.

“It has been agreed by mutual consent that if Ryan is offered a contract on more lucrative terms in the National Hockey League, Metallurg will not interfere in that contract being concluded,” the team said in a website statement.

Metallurg did not say how much O’Reilly will be paid in Russia

Last edited by Isles Junkie: 01-09-2013 at 12:07 PM.
CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:14 PM
leaponover

I don't see many teams playing that game with O'Reilly. I mean, unless he divulges or the team divulges his contract terms he's pretty much playing cat and mouse.
TeamA: "We'll give you 2.1 mil a season"
Player: "Nah, I make more with my KHL team"
TeamA: "What is your salary?"
Player: "Can I just say higher or lower?"

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Not sure if this is comparable to the flyers Miscellaneous thread, but I couldn't find anything on the first page that fit better, so I'll post it here

We are organizing a most handsome player in the league poll tournament for the poll board, could you guys give me 3 of the most handsome players on the team?

We are doing a 68 player tournament and are doing 2 from each team with 8 players as wildcards.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 04:52 AM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Not sure if this is comparable to the flyers Miscellaneous thread, but I couldn't find anything on the first page that fit better, so I'll post it here

We are organizing a most handsome player in the league poll tournament for the poll board, could you guys give me 3 of the most handsome players on the team?

We are doing a 68 player tournament and are doing 2 from each team with 8 players as wildcards.
Whoever it is would have to beat Derian Hatcher:

hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=199786

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:44 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
I don't see many teams playing that game with O'Reilly. I mean, unless he divulges or the team divulges his contract terms he's pretty much playing cat and mouse.
The Avs still own O'Reilly's nhl rights.

I think this KHL signng, is a way for his agent to have some leverage in his next extension talks. I don't see a 2nd NHL team entering the picture, unless the Avs and O'Reilly can't reach a contract agreement.

21 yr old O'Reilly led the Avs in scoring, but has only put up good numbers in 1 of his in 3 seasons. I'm guessing the Avs would like him to sign a short term 'show me contract', before signing him to a larger deal.

Old
12-13-2012, 07:56 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Honestly, I don't believe there's a way for him to get out of the contract. The only outclauses the KHL was allowing was the ones for locked out NHLers with active contracts. He didn't have an active contract upon the signing of the deal. The 'verbal' clause to end the deal if he gets offered more money by the Avalanche would either not be legitimate or he would have to buy out his contract.

His agent didn't think this through

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 12:26 PM
CREW99AW

The writer looks at how the proposed cba changes may effect St. Louis.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...e0df9bda7.html
Blues could lose with new labor contract
The union has agreed to a seven-percent cutback in “HRR” and moved toward the NHL on contract issues, but the league’s agreement to pay $300 million in “make-whole” money, honoring players’ existing contracts, could create a larger challenge than many small- and mid-market franchises expected after the negotiations.

Many believe the Blues are among a group of clubs not thrilled with the NHL’s decision to increase its make-whole offer from $211 million, and while that proposal is reportedly off the table, it would likely return in exchange for contract concessions by the union.

Old
12-18-2012, 08:18 AM
CREW99AW

Edler comments on his back surgery are below.If the 2012-2013 season gets wiped out because of the lockout and Edler hits the ufa market next summer, what type of contract will he end up with?

Will Vancouver or some other team gamble on a 4-5 yr,big money deal ?
Or will Edler have to take a short 1-2 season 'show me' contract?

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ca...#axzz2FPghbdJz

Old
12-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

Cam Barker has had some fall from grace going from third overall pick to being cut by the Texas Stars.

Has he really gotten that bad?

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 01:02 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulin 0n My St1ck View Post
Cam Barker has had some fall from grace going from third overall pick to being cut by the Texas Stars.

wow

I thought the OIlers said he was solid last, mayby im mistaking.

That is quite a fall, I guess CHI made the right move when they traded him.

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 12:38 PM
CREW99AW

Evander Kane tweeted a picture of himself holding stacks of money and pretending to call Mayweather in Vegas. Some of the Winnipeg press are making a mountain out of a molehill imo, with calls for Kane to be traded or kicked out of the NHLPA. 21 yr old Kane is immature. But, you don't trade a developing stud because he still needs to grow up.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...HaKn1cnnNivLYF
Who's better than the Winnipeg media?

Among the unamused was Mike Stubbs of 1290 CJBK in London, Ontario, who's the radio voice of the London Knights. So steamed that he thinks Kane should be kicked out of the NHLPA.

Makes you wonder about Stubbs' position on Tyler Bozak repeatedly tweeting pictures of himself in blackface, and whether that, too, should be grounds for removal from the players' association? You'd think minstrel-y would be more offensive than a guy having a lot of money, but then I'm not Mike Stubbs.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2012/...witter-picture
Winnipeg's race problem with Evander Kane
By TJ Maughan on Dec 21, 11:00a
It wasn't long after the photo was posted on Twitter that the backlash reared its ugly head. Comments towards Kane painting him as the scum of the earth flowed venomously, they as ill-placed and ironic as what Tweeters claimed to be his greatest transgression.

And over what? A picture?

It's not like Kane got intoxicated at a night club, hoped behind the wheel of his slick BMW and put pedal to the floor, damn the consequences -- hello Ondrej Pavelec! And so, there I sat, jaw dropped in bewildered amazement, contemplating how the Winnipeg Sun and Winnipeg Free Press could make so much fuss over what should have been a non-story.

Old
12-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Evander Kane tweeted a picture of himself holding stacks of money and pretending to call Mayweather in Vegas. Some of the Winnipeg press are making a mountain out of a molehill imo, with calls for Kane to be traded or kicked out of the NHLPA. 21 yr old Kane is immature. But, you don't trade a developing stud because he still needs to grow up.

Among the unamused was Mike Stubbs of 1290 CJBK in London, Ontario, who's the radio voice of the London Knights. So steamed that he thinks Kane should be kicked out of the NHLPA.

Makes you wonder about Stubbs' position on Tyler Bozak repeatedly tweeting pictures of himself in blackface, and whether that, too, should be grounds for removal from the players' association? You'd think minstrel-y would be more offensive than a guy having a lot of money, but then I'm not Mike Stubbs.

It wasn't long after the photo was posted on Twitter that the backlash reared its ugly head. Comments towards Kane painting him as the scum of the earth flowed venomously, they as ill-placed and ironic as what Tweeters claimed to be his greatest transgression.

It's not like Kane got intoxicated at a night club, hoped behind the wheel of his slick BMW and put pedal to the floor, damn the consequences -- hello Ondrej Pavelec! And so, there I sat, jaw dropped in bewildered amazement, contemplating how the Winnipeg Sun and Winnipeg Free Press could make so much fuss over what should have been a non-story.
It would've been a non-story had there not been this NHL lockout, which exists because of a dispute between the owners and players over MONEY. Bad timing on his part to have that picture taken of him. So, actually, it is "news-worthy" because that picture of Evander Kane and his stacks of cheddar doesn't conform to the "woah is the NHLPA" image the PA has attempted to create.

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 02:34 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
It would've been a non-story had there not been this NHL lockout, which exists because of a dispute between the owners and players over MONEY. Bad timing on his part to have that picture taken of him. So, actually, it is "news-worthy" because that picture of Evander Kane and his stacks of cheddar doesn't conform to the "woah is the NHLPA" image the PA has attempted to create.
After reading some of the past Kane articles and comments from the Winnipeg press, I have to question if this had happened before the lockout, if it really would have been a non-story.

We've seen a photo of a brash, immature 21 yr old with more money then common sense.
Money that he earned. We aren't talking drunk driving here, we aren't talking about a front office source saying a player needs to get treatment for drinking.

Old
12-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Fantom

Quote:

its because there is no other news

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 04:30 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Pretty much my thoughts as well.

If Winnipeg wants to trade Kane, I'll take him on the Isles in a heartbeat.

They don't seem to like the kid up there though. Wasn't there something about how he's a bad tipper or something? He needs a change of scenery, get it done Garth.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 04:54 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Last winter, someone in the crowd at a Jets game held up a sign, telling Kane to please start paying his restaurant bills. The pic led to a bunch of tweets and message board rumors, that Kane later denied. The NHL front office investigated the rumor, finding no basis for those rumors.

When the restaurant story broke, the Winnipeg paper had to shut down it's viewer comment section at one point, calling the comments from readers disgusting.

Another Winnipeg writer, with no credible sources, tried tying Kane's concussion to a bar fight.

I suspect it we had no lockout, if we were at the all-star break and Kane was spending the break on a quick trip to Vegas and tweeted that pic, we'd still be reading negative comments from some media and fans. Kane's a little too brash for some people.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl...171010484.html

Old
12-21-2012, 04:57 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post

They don't seem to like the kid up there though. Wasn't there something about how he's a bad tipper or something? He needs a change of scenery, get it done Garth.
Jet management would be fools, to let the press and some fans run Kane out of town.

Old
12-22-2012, 11:25 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post

It won't be cheap regardless of the rumors.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 01:04 PM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

The Isles are pretty stacked with left handed wingers and another center or two can be joining the fold soon. I would have to think that the price for Kane would deplete the depth the Isles have, which isn't that great to being with.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 01:33 PM
Steve55

Quote:

Another example of a World Junior Championship player not being able to play in the professional level. I think there should be more reporting on the World Junior players that can't cut in the NHL. Sadly I haven't seen any.

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 01:37 PM
CREW99AW

Brassard left his Austrian league team, despite being warned not to by team officials.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=411949
AUSTRIAN TEAM ANGRY AFTER BLUE JACKETS' BRASSARD WALKS OUT
However, the team has had trouble keeping NHL players this season. Brassard, his Columbus teammate Derek Dorsett, Winnipeg Jets defenceman Tobias Enstrom and New Jersey forward David Clarkson have all left shortly after signing.

Old
12-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
It won't be cheap regardless of the rumors.
Ill throw prospects at him.. He is everything we want Kyle Okposo to be but never will

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 09:21 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Ill throw prospects at him.. He is everything we want Kyle Okposo to be but never will
Mature ?

Don't get me wrong, not every player is gonna act mature and be low maintenance.
Nothing Kane's done would be bad enough if I was a Jets fan, for me to want him dealt.
And if my gm did move him, I'd want young nhl talent back, not prospects. I'd want something around Hamonic. One budding stud for another.

Old
12-27-2012, 09:12 AM
CREW99AW

Like the Isles with Nino, Columbus heard from the critics for the 4th line mins they gave Johansen last season.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...justments.html
Blue Jackets: Johansen’s development gets minor adjustments
The Blue Jackets were roundly criticized for not sending Johansen back to his junior club or letting him play for Team Canada in the World Junior Championships. He was too young to play in the AHL last season.

As one NHL scout put it: “That right there is a wide-angle look at how NOT to develop a player.”

Johansen has 10 goals, 11 assists and a plus-9 rating in 26 games, playing center on Springfield’s No. 1 line, top power-play unit and even the penalty kill. He’s taking late-game draws and being put in pressure situations.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:54 PM
Steve55

Quote:
Brassard left his Austrian league team, despite being warned not to by team officials.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=411949
AUSTRIAN TEAM ANGRY AFTER BLUE JACKETS' BRASSARD WALKS OUT
However, the team has had trouble keeping NHL players this season. Brassard, his Columbus teammate Derek Dorsett, Winnipeg Jets defenceman Tobias Enstrom and New Jersey forward David Clarkson have all left shortly after signing.
Even though some say playing in another professional league before the season resumes (IF it does) will provide advantages over those who don't, I can see why some are not playing right now since getting hurt by playing in another league will reduce the chances of a player making it in the NHL this season.

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote