HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > By The Numbers
By The Numbers Hockey Analytics... the Final Frontier. Explore strange new worlds, to seek out new algorithms, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Goals against per minute?

Old
12-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Kloparren
Hth

vCash: 500
Goals against per minute?

Just wondering if this stat exists to measure the goals scored on a player while he's on the ice (strictly against, not +/-) divided by the amount of minutes he plays.

It should be fairly easy to measure I'd think but I don't see it listed anywhere. Obviously we can look at goals scored while against a player while he's on the ice but then top pairing dmen would have as many or more goals scored while they're on the ice against them as a 3rd pairing however equalizing it based on minutes played would lead to more interesting numbers.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Just wondering if this stat exists to measure the goals scored on a player while he's on the ice (strictly against, not +/-) divided by the amount of minutes he plays.

It should be fairly easy to measure I'd think but I don't see it listed anywhere. Obviously we can look at goals scored while against a player while he's on the ice but then top pairing dmen would have as many or more goals scored while they're on the ice against them as a 3rd pairing however equalizing it based on minutes played would lead to more interesting numbers.

www.behindthenet.ca tracks that. Through mid December last year, for instance, they had Sean Couturier at .98 GAON/60, which led the team by a hilariously huge margin considering quality of competition as well.

12-21-2012, 02:27 PM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
www.behindthenet.ca tracks that. Through mid December last year, for instance, they had Sean Couturier at .98 GAON/60, which led the team by a hilariously huge margin considering quality of competition as well.
Just remember the behindthenet numbers are not adjusted for goaltender and that Couturier's results (while impressive) are not sustainable over an entire season. Min is about 1.3GA/60 for just about any season (assuming 50 games played as qualifiers).

If they could also adjust the GA/60 for quality of comp and quality of goaltender, I think you are honing in on the most important single defensive metric in all of hockey.

wgknestrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 03:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

If they factor quality of goaltender, that makes Couturier's numbers even more impressive

And no, he did not sustain that pace. I think he dropped to 1.50 by the end of the season, maybe worse. He was possibly helped by Timonen also having a beastly run from mid November until he started breaking down in late Dec/early Jan.

You're right, GAON/60 isn't all that great for comparing players on different teams because goalie quality isn't accounted for. But it's very good for comparing players on the same team.

Edit: The main reason I mention Couturier is that he's great for showing how effective the stat can be; the eyeball test showed Couturier was easily the best defensive forward on his team, and the stat showed the same thing. In that case it's easy to test how reliable it is because there was such obvious separation between his skill and his teammates' skill, and the stat reflected it. The Flyers were a good testbed because they had one forward who was very good defensively, 2-3 other guys who were adequate, and the rest...not so much. The standout player stood out.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 12-21-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 03:36 PM
seventieslord

Jeez, from what I recall, defensive ability wasn't even part of "the book" on Couturier pre-draft. I thought he was the next LeCavalier.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Jeez, from what I recall, defensive ability wasn't even part of "the book" on Couturier pre-draft. I thought he was the next LeCavalier.
Negative, seventies, at least from my viewings of him. I saw him as closer to a Jordan Staal type, not VL4. Maybe other outlets penned him otherwise though...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:39 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Reading this again makes me really wish we had a stat for goalie quality. I'm not a math savant so I can't even imagine how that would work.

Defensive stats rely in part on the goalie; goalie stats rely in part on the defense. And so on, etc.

As for Couturier, once he was drafted I did my research. I determined he was "competent" defensively...which ended up being an understatement. If Philly has to choose between Schenn and Couturier, I hope they keep him. Bobby Clarke II? I sure freaking hope so.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:56 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Well, he did claim prior to the draft that he prides himself on being a 200-foot player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
Reading this again makes me really wish we had a stat for goalie quality. I'm not a math savant so I can't even imagine how that would work.

Defensive stats rely in part on the goalie; goalie stats rely in part on the defense. And so on, etc.

As for Couturier, once he was drafted I did my research. I determined he was "competent" defensively...which ended up being an understatement. If Philly has to choose between Schenn and Couturier, I hope they keep him. Bobby Clarke II? I sure freaking hope so.
NO! Don't compare him to Clarke. We know what happens when that starts being put out there.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

LA can thank me later.