Old
12-20-2012, 05:54 PM
McLlwain
Trevor Forever

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by romelson View Post
The door is definitately closed.

Time to re-set the thread title back to the original title: "SEL Board closes the door to NHL players".

The Marknadsdomstol (The Swedish Market Court) has ruled the earlier statement by KKV as non-valid. Nothing else was to be expected.

http://www.sportnu.se/706341/hockeyl...nhl-spelare-4/

No more NHL players in SEL this season. Thank goodness for that.
And thank you Christer Englund for standing up for Swedish Hockey.
Does it say for the entire season even if the NHL-season gets cancelled?
From what I understood, the restrictions were for contracts with an out-clause in case the NHL resumes play and that NHLers were welcome to sign with SEL teams as long as they guarantee to stay for the rest of the season.

So does this court ruling apply to all NHL-players signings in general?

McLlwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 03:12 AM
Yabob

Only contracts that don't run to the end of the season (or can be terminated at any time by the players I guess).

However, as the transfer deadline in Sweden are on the 31st of January the NHL would have to officially cancel the season before that if there are to be NHLers in the SEL.

Yabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 03:43 AM
McLlwain
Trevor Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabob View Post
Only contracts that don't run to the end of the season (or can be terminated at any time by the players I guess).

However, as the transfer deadline in Sweden are on the 31st of January the NHL would have to officially cancel the season before that if there are to be NHLers in the SEL.
So, with the NHL expected to cancel the season no later than some time around January 10th, the SEL may look at a three-week free agent frenzy.

It will be interesting to see if teams will stick with their no-NHLer policy. Especially with guys like Zetterberg and Lundqvist still out there.

Old
12-21-2012, 05:26 AM
Yabob

Guys like Zetterberg and Lundqvist are more or less too expensive (and in Sweden they basically have to play for "their" team, neither of which have money). And to be honest few teams have the money to sign anyone at all right now. How much extra money they could actually get from the sponsors is also uncertain.... the economy isn't great right now (and the SEL teams already receive a lot from them).

Yabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 05:36 AM
McLlwain
Trevor Forever

I see.

Well, I don't know if this would fly with big guns like Zetterberg and Lundqvist, but Christian Ehrhoff for example returned to his hometeam in Krefeld, playing for free and also paying for his insurance himself.

Maybe if it's the only way to get playing at all, they might consider it.

Old
12-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:

I thought IIHF extended it throughout Europe to February 15th for this season already? It is in Finland.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 03:25 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
I thought IIHF extended it throughout Europe to February 15th for this season already? It is in Finland.
They did, but the Swedish ice hockey federation needs a year to think about.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 03:26 PM
KRM

Quote:
Guys like Zetterberg and Lundqvist are more or less too expensive (and in Sweden they basically have to play for "their" team, neither of which have money). And to be honest few teams have the money to sign anyone at all right now. How much extra money they could actually get from the sponsors is also uncertain.... the economy isn't great right now (and the SEL teams already receive a lot from them).
Frölunda have secured external funds from sponsors to sign Lundqvist.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote