HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Canes' players during the lockout

Old
11-03-2012, 01:07 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Ruutu View Post
How many 20-year old NHLers aren't playing somewhere by now? This is ridiculous. Jeff Skinner's commitment to his development is disgraceful. The Hurricanes invest $5.75M/yr in this clown and he can't even show up to an AHL training camp.
I don't know if this has been posted in one of the other threads:

@ice_chip: Skinner's agent, Rick Curran, said uncertainty of CBA negotiations and status of guaranteed contracts led him to advise Skinner to stay put.

@ice_chip: @horaxhorax Hall apparently had to insure his 7-year extension against an injury in AHL.

@ice_chip: Skinner's agent, Rick Curran, said uncertainty of CBA negotiations and status of guaranteed contracts led him to advise Skinner to stay put.

@ice_chip: Curran said Skinner wanted to play for Checkers. Said he told Skinner prudent decision was not to take the risk because of dollars involved.

I guess I can see where the agent is coming from. With all this CBA uncertainty he couldn't give Skinner assurance that his contract would be preserved if he suffered a career-altering injury. And while the obvious solution is to insure the deal, it might be easier said than done when talking about a kid who has multiple concussions already.

Professionally, he's probably making the safe move... even if it sucks for us. Too much to lose and little to gain.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 02:48 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I have to admit I am a little bummed about this too. So many of Skinner's peers are playing somewhere, have the same contractual "excuses", and are bettering their games by playing hockey right now. This really starts to show you which players mean it when they say they would "play for free", which is essentially what Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle, etc. are doing right now. Very disappointing unless there is more to this story.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 02:46 PM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown Sutter View Post
I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you.
I can understand the intent to not get injured, but he's taking the p*** frankly. I've not seen him hit anyone since he got here and it'd be nice to see a little bit of enthusiasm.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 03:40 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I have to admit I am a little bummed about this too. So many of Skinner's peers are playing somewhere, have the same contractual "excuses", and are bettering their games by playing hockey right now. This really starts to show you which players mean it when they say they would "play for free", which is essentially what Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle, etc. are doing right now. Very disappointing unless there is more to this story.
It says right there in the post above yours that Hall's contract is insured against AHL injuries and Skinner's is not.

It also plainly says that Skinner wants to play, and is being advised not to do so.

We know that Skinner is continuing to train, so conditioning is not a reason to take the risk. Neither is money, or fame, or the significance of the games. So what exactly would his reason be, other than whooping it up on the bus in Abbotsford and Binghamton for a few weeks?

Is this where we start crapping all over this freakin' godsend of a player that fell into our laps two years ago because he shuts up and listens when a professional agent tells him it isn't worth the risk to break his ongoing training to go light up some AHL'ers? Jesus, it's one thing when this board railroads guys like Boychuk and Murphy and Stewart and Corvo and Ruutu AWard and Pitkanen and Staal, but now Skinner? Really?

As hard as this kid works and as hard as he plays, the fact that "enthusiasm" is even being mentioned here is verging on the Twilight Zone.

Old
11-17-2012, 05:57 AM
AlanHUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
I can understand the intent to not get injured, but he's taking the p*** frankly. I've not seen him hit anyone since he got here and it'd be nice to see a little bit of enthusiasm.
I thought he had a pretty good game last night, though it does seem that if he wants to he can barrel through players which he did a couple of times, he threw a couple of hits here and there and one big one against the glass that had it rocking for a while.

Made a great play breaking into the zone, pulling up and putting a perfect pass back to the opposite side point for a scoring chance.

I don't think we'll see the best of him unless the NHL season gets cancelled.

Last edited by AlanHUK: 11-17-2012 at 06:33 AM.
AlanHUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 03:35 PM
wings5

How has Semin looked?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 05:35 PM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
How has Semin looked?
Semin has been benched for last two games. 2+6 in previous 11 games.

FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:59 PM
TheBigKahuna

Stewart 6g 5a 11p so far in the BEL. That league must be a lot more talented than I imagined! Or Stewart is just as underwhelming there as he was here.

He's 12th on his team in scoring. Must be playing 4th line minutes? Also looks to have missed several games so far...injury or benching?

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:01 PM
UK Notts
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
Stewart 6g 5a 11p so far in the BEL. That league must be a lot more talented than I imagined! Or Stewart is just as underwhelming there as he was here.

He's 12th on his team in scoring. Must be playing 4th line minutes? Also looks to have missed several games so far...injury or benching?
He was playing regular minutes on a regular line but is now returning back to Carolina apparently as his agent has said it is best that he returns because there was some saying the lockout was about to end, which obviously it is not.

Regarding his play - He appears to have an extra step on a lot of players in our league and he is pretty good in the corners but does not have a very good/accurate shot or the best hands and also does not always make the best decisions.

he has appeared at times to of been frustrated with what he has been doing/not been able to do, maybe came in thinking it would be a walk in the park but there is some good players over here.

What is effectively his replacement has already been signed though and he's decided or been told to return to Carolina today. www.panthers.co.uk

UK Notts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Vabeachblue

You cant ever tell where Semins head is at. Sucks in the KHL but when hockey starts(if it does) he could light it up any given night. Also I think stall and Semin could kill it.

Vabeachblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 03:11 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

12-13-2012, 04:17 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Just be glad he didn't mispell Semin

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Novacane
My Hero

I saw in the paper today that Jokinen is heading back to Finland. Does anyone know if he is going back for hockey or personal reasons? I think I remember him coming back to the US for tax and insurance reasons, but it would be fixed by the new year. I'm guessing that's still the case, and he's planning on playing hockey, but clarification would be appreciated.

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:25 PM
urho

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
I'm guessing that's still the case, and he's planning on playing hockey, but clarification would be appreciated.
He's coming back to play hockey for the rest of the season, if the lockout-madness doesn't end.

urho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 02:32 PM
InjuredChoker

Semin had a goal in 3-5 loss to Magnitogorsk.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Meanwhile, somewhere Jeff Skinner remains the only hopeful hockey player that refuses to go .....actually play hockey somewhere. Are there any players 20 or under not playing anywhere this year?

Can he go back and play his overage year for Kitchener since he's so worried about getting hurt?

Old
12-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Gr8Dan

Quote:
Meanwhile, somewhere Jeff Skinner remains the only hopeful hockey player that refuses to go .....actually play hockey somewhere. Are there any players 20 or under not playing anywhere this year?

Can he go back and play his overage year for Kitchener since he's so worried about getting hurt?
I think its his agent that is telling him not to go. He was ready and willing to play for charlotte but his agent advised him not to

Gr8Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Dan View Post
I think its his agent that is telling him not to go. He was ready and willing to play for charlotte but his agent advised him not to
I know, but it's not like the rest of these guys don't have agents too. At some point you let the agents worry about working on contracts and you go do what you do best.... which is play the damn game.

Old
12-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Surprised to not hear a lot about the WJC preliminary games here. Ryan Murphy has looked decent enough, certainly better than Morgan Rielly but you'd never know it by reading the main boards. Victor Rask has been conspicuously invisible for Sweden.

Old
12-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Stahl2Stall
LOTTERY RALLY TEXT

Sweden still has to do their cuts and according to TSN isn't a fan of their players playing in the CHL, saying that Dansk may be going into the tournament as a backup because of him choosing to play in Canada. Not sure how important Rask is to their roster, but hopefully him playing in the CHL doesn't keep him out of the tournament or on the bench.

Stahl2Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 01:03 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
I know, but it's not like the rest of these guys don't have agents too. At some point you let the agents worry about working on contracts and you go do what you do best.... which is play the damn game.
If I understand the situation correctly (not guaranteed) the problem lies with insurance decisions that were made pre-lockout. I can't imagine the premium on insuring a previously-concussed teenager for a 15+ year career as an NHL star. It's probably impractical at this point.

Old
12-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahl2Stall View Post
Sweden still has to do their cuts and according to TSN isn't a fan of their players playing in the CHL, saying that Dansk may be going into the tournament as a backup because of him choosing to play in Canada. Not sure how important Rask is to their roster, but hopefully him playing in the CHL doesn't keep him out of the tournament or on the bench.
Rask is a returning guy for Sweden, as he made the team last year as a 19 year old. There has been talk that Rask may actually get a letter for this squad. He's not going to be cut from the team, but he's not going to be playing a major offensive role it would seem. They like to use him on the PK to minimize his skating deficiencies.

Murphy is more concerning. If you have him dressed and don't put him out for a 5 on 3 PP..... why do you even have him dressed?

Old
12-22-2012, 02:31 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

I wonder if that fatass Jeff Skinner is even going to play anywhere this year. He's already sat out 30 games, so what's a full season?

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 06:09 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Murphy is more concerning. If you have him dressed and don't put him out for a 5 on 3 PP..... why do you even have him dressed?
Particularly considering it's his own team's head coach making the decision.

Old
12-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Stahl2Stall
LOTTERY RALLY TEXT

Didnt realize Hoffman was playing in the Spengler cup, just had a decent break against Canada.

Stahl2Stall is offline   Reply With Quote