HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXVII; Route66 - Aftermath

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Please someone explain to me the importance of signing this deal. What does it change? Did Jamieson finally show the money?
The importance of this deal is that more than ever, it is out of the hands of the city and all in the hands of Jamison and the NHL. Now their card has to be played, It's put up or shut up time for both GJ and the NHL.

Old
12-21-2012, 01:29 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
The importance of this deal is that more than ever, it is out of the hands of the city and all in the hands of Jamison and the NHL. Now their card has to be played, It's put up or shut up time for both GJ and the NHL.
If he does not have the money by january 31rst then the new council can still nix it?

Old
12-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
If he does not have the money by january 31rst then the new council can still nix it?
I doubt it seeing the deal has been signed and what determines if the deal is valid or not is the completion of the sale, and not what council does.

Old
12-21-2012, 01:45 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

What are the odds of this guy having enough money to properly support the team? Actually spending to the cap ceiling? I am expecting him to be a penny pincher and is just using the Coyotes as a get rich quick scheme.

Old
12-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
I doubt it seeing the deal has been signed and what determines if the deal is valid or not is the completion of the sale, and not what council does.
So if he does not have the money by january 31rst the deal is dead and the new coucil probably wont work on reviving this type of deal later on. So basicly, this has to work with Jamieson or its pretty much over... Althought in this saga, it might never be over until Gary dies or retires...

Old
12-21-2012, 02:09 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
What are the odds of this guy having enough money to properly support the team? Actually spending to the cap ceiling? I am expecting him to be a penny pincher and is just using the Coyotes as a get rich quick scheme.
I expect him to raise payroll, the Coyotes will make a profit, and be the only professional sports franchise in the valley to be successful in the near future. And as a result, be considered the hottest ticket in town and it wouldn't take much to tweak the roster to be serious contenders. The new CBA will favor the Coyotes more than most of the franchises. Jamison will have a chance to take advantage of that. I don't expect an immediate impact this season (if there is a season). But next off season they'll be able to bring in a top free agent or 2, while most of the other franchises will have to start budgeting, the Mayans predicted a new age of man, it starts with the Arizona Coyotes. It will pay off that the Coyotes have been prudent for the last few years and stuck with bringing prospects along.

Old
12-21-2012, 02:25 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

After putting in a year and a half of work and finally getting all the stars aligned it's really wistful thinking that he doesn't have the money. A while back, he said the money was already in escrow. And being a former owner, I am sure he is knowledgeable about transfer rules and has been fully vetted to a) have the cash and b) have the required 50% in available credit lines. That he doesn't want to tell you or me where the money is coming from is his business.

The market is really not a bad situation. The Suns and the Cardinals are both a mess and attendance is way down at both venues. Hockey always draws much better here after the first of the year. The new CBA will definitely help and this is a pretty good hockey team. The short season will allow the team to sell tickets and fully rebrand during the summer.

This might just work after all.

Old
12-21-2012, 02:29 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
After putting in a year and a half of work and finally getting all the stars aligned it's really wistful thinking that he doesn't have the money. A while back, he said the money was already in escrow. And being a former owner, I am sure he is knowledgeable about transfer rules and has been fully vetted to a) have the cash and b) have the required 50% in available credit lines. That he doesn't wasnt to tell you or me where the money is coming from is his business.

The market is really not a bad situation. The Suns and the Cardinals are both a mess and attendance is way down at both venues. Hockey always draws much better here after the first of the year. The new CBA will definitely help and this is a pretty good hockey team. The short season will allow the team to sell tickets and fully rebrand during the summer.

Well if he has the money why hasnt he bought the team already. And why did he not complete the sale when he had that first Glendale deal? Without the huge gift from Glendale this market is not viable... its a terrible market, the worst in the NHL, along with Florida.

Old
12-21-2012, 02:30 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
I expect him to raise payroll, the Coyotes will make a profit, and be the only professional sports franchise in the valley to be successful in the near future. And as a result, be considered the hottest ticket in town and it wouldn't take much to tweak the roster to be serious contenders. The new CBA will favor the Coyotes more than most of the franchises. Jamison will have a chance to take advantage of that. I don't expect an immediate impact this season (if there is a season). But next off season they'll be able to bring in a top free agent or 2, while most of the other franchises will have to start budgeting, the Mayans predicted a new age of man, it starts with the Arizona Coyotes. It will pay off that the Coyotes have been prudent for the last few years and stuck with bringing prospects along.
You lost me at "will make a profit"...

Old
12-21-2012, 02:44 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Well if he has the money why hasnt he bought the team already. And why did he not complete the sale when he had that first Glendale deal? Without the huge gift from Glendale this market is not viable... its a terrible market, the worst in the NHL, along with Florida.
To be fair to both GJ and the NHL here, news of this signing just took place. I have yet to see news of where there is an actual deadline to complete the sale but rather just random dates thrown out by both sides of the Coyotes in Phoenix talk with Jan 31th 2013 being the most common.

Old
12-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
To be fair to both GJ and the NHL here, news of this signing just took place. I have yet to see news of where there is an actual deadline to complete the sale but rather just random dates thrown out by both sides of the Coyotes in Phoenix talk with Jan 31th 2013 being the most common.
How long has Jamieson been the front man in this saga? 2 years? And yet he still cant finalise the deal after all this time. A little more then 35 days and we will have our answer.

Old
12-21-2012, 03:09 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
I solve problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
You lost me at "will make a profit"...
Here's where I got lost...

Quote:
The new CBA will favor the Coyotes more than most of the franchises. Jamison will have a chance to take advantage of that.
Somewhere the subsidy should fit in here...

Quote:
It will pay off that the Coyotes have been prudent for the last few years and stuck with bringing prospects along.
Isn't, or better yet, wasn't bringing prospects along hand-in-hand with such "prudency"?

Old
12-21-2012, 03:30 PM
goalie311

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
After putting in a year and a half of work and finally getting all the stars aligned it's really wistful thinking that he doesn't have the money. A while back, he said the money was already in escrow. And being a former owner, I am sure he is knowledgeable about transfer rules and has been fully vetted to a) have the cash and b) have the required 50% in available credit lines. That he doesn't want to tell you or me where the money is coming from is his business.

I see this mentioned quite a bit, and for some reason, it bothers me.
GJ was part of an ownership group for the Sharks, no?

Does anyone know how large his portion was?
He seems to be accredited with San Jose's success, and that will somehow transfer to the Coyotes - I just don't see it....

Old
12-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Samzilla
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
January 31st was stated as the deadline at the last Glendale city council meeting where they voted to approve the lease. What I can't remember is whether that was the deadline for Jamison to purchase the team or merely sign the lease, and I'm too lazy to go back through the thread right now.

It's not just a made up date. Scruggs herself made it very clear.

Old
12-21-2012, 03:41 PM
GF

Well now that it's signed. Isn't that the cue for the GWI to get on stage and do their part??

Maybe that's GJ's plan. Sign so GWI can derail this thing and he can fold before he has to show his hand (bluff).

Old
12-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF View Post
Well now that it's signed. Isn't that the cue for the GWI to get on stage and do their part??

Maybe that's GJ's plan. Sign so GWI can derail this thing and he can fold before he has to show his hand (bluff).
Knowing that Jamieson has to complete his financing and buying the team before january 31rst or the deal is dead, if i was GWI i would lunch a challenge even if they know they wont have much of a chance to win, just to make things difficult for Jamieson.

Old
12-21-2012, 03:50 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
The Coyotes are never going to spend to the cap ceiling. They are going to spend the next 20 years just trying to make the cap floor every year.

If this team stays in Glendale, it will never be a get rich quick scheme. It will be more like... hope that with the AMF, a new CBA, etc. that as an owner of the team I might break even and not lose my shirt in the process.

The only way buying the Coyotes could be classified as a "get rich quick scheme" is if Jamison already has a line on an arena in Southern Ontario, and is just going thru the motions waiting for the CoG to default on the AMF, so he get the team out of town.

Old
12-21-2012, 04:03 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
The sale from the NHL must be completed by Jan 31 as per stipulation in the lease. If
it isn't the city can extend the deadline if they so choose.

So if he hasn't puchased the team lock stock and barrels by Jan 31, the new council will have to decide to extend the deadline or not.

Old
12-21-2012, 04:03 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
The Coyotes are never going to spend to the cap ceiling. They are going to spend the next 20 years just trying to make the cap floor every year.

If this team stays in Glendale, it will never be a get rich quick scheme. It will be more like... hope that with the AMF, a new CBA, etc. that as an owner of the team I might break even and not lose my shirt in the process.

The only way buying the Coyotes could be classified as a "get rich quick scheme" is if Jamison already has a line on an arena in Southern Ontario, and is just going thru the motions waiting for the CoG to default on the AMF, so he get the team out of town.
Isnt the guy getting 15 million per year from Glendale and more revenue sharing money when the new CBA is in place?

Seems like a pretty quick way to make a buck.

Old
12-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Isnt the guy getting 15 million per year from Glendale and more revenue sharing money when the new CBA is in place?

Seems like a pretty quick way to make a buck.
Well not if you start with a 40 million per year deficit to start with...

Old
12-21-2012, 04:10 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Well not if you start with a 40 million per year deficit to start with...
I thought they lost 20 million last year? I am sure the increased revenue sharing + 15 million dollar handout should atleast help Jamison make a buck. Officially, the Yotes will still be bleeding red ink, but unofficially, Jamison is going to be making money.

I could be wrong if the Yotes did lose 40 million per year.

Old
12-21-2012, 04:25 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
I thought they lost 20 million last year? I am sure the increased revenue sharing + 15 million dollar handout should atleast help Jamison make a buck. Officially, the Yotes will still be bleeding red ink, but unofficially, Jamison is going to be making money.

I could be wrong if the Yotes did lose 40 million per year.
Of the 15 million Jamison is getting, he still has to run the arena, which by most estimates costs ~$6M to operate. So he is really only getting $9M per year to funnel towards the team. Even with the increase in revenue sharing ( the total amount ) it won't make a huge difference because the NHL plans to share more revenue with more teams. As well, the NHL doesn't just cut you a revenue sharing cheque... you have to meet certain criteria to be entitled to revenue sharing in the first place. Based on market size, number of people attending games, etc. there is a diminishing scale that is used, or you may not be entitled.

Regardless, it is not like he is going to be rolling in the dough. JMO, but I see this potentially as a "just break even" proposition if all the stars align. There is also the unknown of what happens when the team starts losing again? All teams go thru cycles, and right now the Coyotes are playing the best they ever have.

Old
12-21-2012, 05:04 PM
pondnorth

Quote:
A guess here but did you just graduate with a Clarkonomics degree:amazed?.Seems like the Mayans were wrong after all.

Old
12-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

Still think the signing is more of a PR stunt. The timing alone I find too coincidental, right on the last day before pratically everyone is on holidays for the better part of the next 2 weeks.

As others has stated earlier, a condition of closing is for Mr. Jamison actually buying the team. Perhaps all the signing does is prevents the new council from squashing this between Jan 15 and 31.

Something tells me this one is still far from over

Old
12-21-2012, 05:54 PM
manisback121

Quote:
Knowing that Jamieson has to complete his financing and buying the team before january 31rst or the deal is dead, if i was GWI i would lunch a challenge even if they know they wont have much of a chance to win, just to make things difficult for Jamieson.

Mehh, i could write a brief that would burn holes in the city' stomach from stress.

Closed Thread