Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsBeCool View Post
way too many penalties. those two ppgs by fin on a 5 on 3 didn't help canada out much but not too worried for canada as this is just an exhibition game. just need to get use to the rules i'm thinking. hopefully....
Completely agree.

Old
12-20-2012, 01:44 PM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Two 5 on 3 pp goals don't exactly help.

of course it doesn't but I think he was lucky only giving up 3 goals.

Old
12-20-2012, 01:49 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
of course it doesn't but I think he was lucky only giving up 3 goals.
It wasn't his best game, but it's still exhibition and I wouldn't write him off so quickly. The lack of discipline really cost them the game.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:19 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

vCash: 516
Wow - real lack of cohesion on that team at the moment. I'm sure this will turn around, as some of the players haven't had much of a chance to play together yet given that the starters have sat for quite a spell now (though this is true for other teams as well):

Here's my take:

The Good
RNH and Scheifele looked pretty good together after the 1st period. That push pass from Mark to RNH to lead the breakout, a beauty saucer pass from RNH back to S, and the quick hands to pot it was a beaut. Scheifele had a couple of other decent chances too - he's got such a quick release that I think he'll do well with RNH. When Huberdeau comes back, that's going to be a dangerous line. I also think that Mark is adapting fairly well to playing wing - shows that his skating has definitely improved.

The Bad
Penalties - they're going to have to get used to the International Refereeing pretty quickly.
Other than the 1st line, not much offense generated.

I wish Trouba played today, but I guess the US is looking to determine who the final cuts are. Looking forward to the next Canada game on Saturday - I'm sure they'll come out stronger in that one.

PS: I'm not blaming the loss on the officiating - I think there were horrible calls against both teams today.

Old
12-20-2012, 03:01 PM
JustBeCool
boom shakalaka

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Wow - real lack of cohesion on that team at the moment. I'm sure this will turn around, as some of the players haven't had much of a chance to play together yet given that the starters have sat for quite a spell now (though this is true for other teams as well):

Here's my take:

The Good
RNH and Scheifele looked pretty good together after the 1st period. That push pass from Mark to RNH to lead the breakout, a beauty saucer pass from RNH back to S, and the quick hands to pot it was a beaut. Scheifele had a couple of other decent chances too - he's got such a quick release that I think he'll do well with RNH. When Huberdeau comes back, that's going to be a dangerous line. I also think that Mark is adapting fairly well to playing wing - shows that his skating has definitely improved.

The Bad
Penalties - they're going to have to get used to the International Refereeing pretty quickly.
Other than the 1st line, not much offense generated.

I wish Trouba played today, but I guess the US is looking to determine who the final cuts are. Looking forward to the next Canada game on Saturday - I'm sure they'll come out stronger in that one.

PS: I'm not blaming the loss on the officiating - I think there were horrible calls against both teams today.
Agreed. Scheifele looked good with RNH which bodes well for future games.

I was also looking forward to watching trouba play against sweden today since i never really watched trouba play before except for the highlights on these boards. really wanted to see how he plays and his big hits

anyway, anyone know team usa well? they seem pretty good..... can vs usa game is gonna be awesome!

Old
12-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Daddy Longlegs

Barkov and Ristolainen both sat out of today's game. Arguably their two best players. And Finland looked quite good without them. They could go deep in this tourney. Mind you, I've yet to see any other teams play. I was very much looking forward to watching Barkov today. Guess I'll have to wait til Saturday or boxing day.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:19 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Longlegs View Post
Barkov and Ristolainen both sat out of today's game. Arguably their two best players. And Finland looked quite good without them. They could go deep in this tourney. Mind you, I've yet to see any other teams play. I was very much looking forward to watching Barkov today. Guess I'll have to wait til Saturday or boxing day.
Huberdeau sat today - arguably one of Canada's best players. Just sayin'.

Old
12-21-2012, 11:16 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

Found the Scheifele / RNH give and go goal on Youtube - a WHOLE lot of goodness here. Nice little touch pass from Scheifele to start the rush, a beaut of a pass from RNH to Scheifele, and really quick hands for the goal. More of this going forward, please!

Old
12-21-2012, 11:41 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 867
Am I the only one who thought the refereeing was atrocious, not because of the marginal slashing/hooking/tripping calls that are to be expected in international play, but because they failed to call boarding when there were plenty of borderline hits? I remember thinking that in the Canada game although no specific incidents stick out, but the US game I remember a player got crushed from behind right and went head-first in to the boards in front of the bench, the whole bench erupted and there was no penalty.

Scheifele's goal had me excited for this tournament. I hope him and RNH tear it up. Subban's play had me a little less excited for this tournament. I don't expect him to steal games but I hope he doesn't singlehandedly lose games for them.

Hudon is out for the tournament now (as per TSN). He was one of my favorite players on the team.

Old
12-21-2012, 11:55 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

vBurmi - I agree about the officiating. Terrible on both sides - marginal calls made, and some calls that should have been made, weren't. At least they were somewhat consistent for both teams, but it ruined the flow of the game.

Old
12-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Hobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Am I the only one who thought the refereeing was atrocious, not because of the marginal slashing/hooking/tripping calls that are to be expected in international play, but because they failed to call boarding when there were plenty of borderline hits? I remember thinking that in the Canada game although no specific incidents stick out, but the US game I remember a player got crushed from behind right and went head-first in to the boards in front of the bench, the whole bench erupted and there was no penalty.

Scheifele's goal had me excited for this tournament. I hope him and RNH tear it up. Subban's play had me a little less excited for this tournament. I don't expect him to steal games but I hope he doesn't singlehandedly lose games for them.

Hudon is out for the tournament now (as per TSN). He was one of my favorite players on the team.
There were a few hits along the boards on both sides, where I was expecting to hear a whistle, and was surprised to hear nothing. Very different from NA rules, considering how tight everything is now in the NHL (excluding playoffs for particular teams )

Old
12-21-2012, 04:38 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
nice touch pass scheif to rnh... great job by hopkins to have to guys close in and a great pass to mark

perfect shot for the goal too

hoping for big things from these guys

Old
12-21-2012, 04:54 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
nice touch pass scheif to rnh... great job by hopkins to have to guys close in and a great pass to mark

perfect shot for the goal too

hoping for big things from these guys
They looked really slick together. They both make smart, quick decisions with the puck and can do the give and go stuff all day. They will be tough to shut down because they move the puck around so well and find the open guy. My biggest fear is that Hubs F's it up. He is a very dynamic player but he tends to hang onto the puck too long for my liking. Not saying that’s bad, in fact Hubs is really good I am just saying I am not sure if it is the best style match for RNH and Schief? Hope I am wrong because Hockey Canada and the coach's would probably have a better read on this than me

Old
12-21-2012, 10:29 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 166
Saw on the Habs board that Hudon is out for the tournament because he exacerbated a back injury. :/

Old
12-21-2012, 10:37 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 3585
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Saw on the Habs board that Hudon is out for the tournament because he exacerbated a back injury. :/
Dayum. Poor guy, was obviously looking to help his draft stock. Wonder who they call up.

Old
12-21-2012, 10:47 PM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Dayum. Poor guy, was obviously looking to help his draft stock. Wonder who they call up.
Mark McNeill, apparently.

Old
12-22-2012, 06:39 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

Man, Trouba's a monster - he just CRUSHED Barkov near the boards as he was coming out of his zone. Scott Stevens / Nicklas Kronwall who? They've got nothing on Trouba.

EDIT: US just got robbed of a goal - Trouba fired a shot from the point, and the rebound was buried. Went in/out of the net so quickly though, that the refs didn't catch it - no video replay during the pre-tournament games. Not going to post scores, just in case people are recording this.

Old
12-22-2012, 07:16 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

You're up early

Yes I liked what I saw from Trouba up until now, too. Jones looks even better I'd say.

Old
12-22-2012, 07:27 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

Ugh: Jones called for a slash that was no more than a tap of the stick. The officiating is maddening - endless stream of players going to the box (on both teams) - really kills the flow of the game.

GJF - it's not that I get up early, I simply don't sleep.

Old
12-22-2012, 07:32 AM
DespoticNewt

What time is the Canada game today?

Old
12-22-2012, 07:33 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Quote:
GJF - it's not that I get up early, I simply don't sleep.
Welcome to my hockey life I fought against my fatigue until the 3rd period last night but had to gave up as it was a long day. I mean the Ice Caps game of course. Can you imagine what my german girlfriend and friends think what kind of a huge hockey nerd I am for doing that regularly for some minor league NA hockey

But it makes me feel better when you have to suffer a little too in times like these

*edit*
Despo:

9 AM EST

In the intermission TSN talks about Trouba. They're saying that he looks like a man among boys on the ice and love him.

Old
12-22-2012, 07:34 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Trouba looks good to me! Can't wait to see our D in a couple of years.

Old
12-22-2012, 07:49 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

Trouba causing trouble in front of the Finland net, jumping into the play, leading to a US goal.

Old
12-22-2012, 08:23 AM
JustBeCool
boom shakalaka

vCash: 0
poor third period for team usa. got bogged down by penalties. trouba looked good though none the less.

Old
12-22-2012, 08:23 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
What time is the Canada game today?
8 our time
So about a half hour

Closed Thread