HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Evolution of league records

Old
12-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

vCash: 500
Evolution of league records

I know that hockey reference has a page similar to this (although I didn't bother to check prior to putting this together):

http://hockeygoalies.org/stats/nhl-wins-rs.html

This shows the top three goaltenders in career NHL regular season victories (HR's page shows the #1 guy alone - although I find the churn lower in the list just as fascinating), at the end of each regular season. I may expand the list out to ten at some point - when I started, I thought "oh, three will be plenty", but now I'm not sure.

I found it interesting to see how much it's changed, and then not changed - it seems like there's usually a group of goaltenders who approach the top marks in lockstep. When I started following the game, it was always Sawchuk/Plante/Esposito, and that's partly what was so fascinating about Patrick Roy approaching the mark.

Anyhow, my next step - and this is harder - is identifying the date/game where the leader took over the top spot. This is straightforward for recent seasons/records, but becomes more complicated as we go back into time.

I'm also planning on doing the other "big two" for goaltenders - regular season shutouts, and postseason wins.

Enjoy!

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
When I started following the game, it was always Sawchuk/Plante/Esposito, and that's partly what was so fascinating about Patrick Roy approaching the mark.
Just wanted to say that you forgot Glenn Hall. This always needs to be pointed out whenever Sawchuk and Plante is mentioned.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Another good reason to expand the list beyond three - since if I'd had four on the list, I would have said Sawchuk/Plante/Esposito/Hall.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote