HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Predators - Flames

Old
12-21-2012, 04:14 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
What's with all the hate for Jay Bouwmeester?

I think that he's a good defenseman playing in a terrible system.
Mob mentality, Jeremy Roenick.

Huge hype coming into free agency -> substantial contract -> failure to meet offensive expectations -> Jeremy Roenick -> undeserved hatred.

And he doesn't get visibly angry on the ice, nor does he have the appearance of "an extra gear" (moving your legs really fast when you skate?), so people throw out stupid accusations like "lacking heart" and "no intensity", which are completely meaningless garbage when brought out by some random hockey fan. He doesn't throw big hits, therefore he's not "hard to play against", and he doesn't rack up substantial point totals anymore, so to the eye of the cliche hockey fan, he's a crappy dman.

Jay Bouwmeester is overpaid, and had excessive expectations placed on him coming out of Florida. Those are the only things wrong with him. He's not Norris-calibre as his contract might imply, but he would be deserving of top pairing duty on any team in the NHL, now that Suter has left Nashville.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 04:23 PM
showtime8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Mob mentality, Jeremy Roenick.

Huge hype coming into free agency -> substantial contract -> failure to meet offensive expectations -> Jeremy Roenick -> undeserved hatred.

And he doesn't get visibly angry on the ice, nor does he have the appearance of "an extra gear" (moving your legs really fast when you skate?), so people throw out stupid accusations like "lacking heart" and "no intensity", which are completely meaningless garbage when brought out by some random hockey fan. He doesn't throw big hits, therefore he's not "hard to play against", and he doesn't rack up substantial point totals anymore, so to the eye of the cliche hockey fan, he's a crappy dman.

Jay Bouwmeester is overpaid, and had excessive expectations placed on him coming out of Florida. Those are the only things wrong with him. He's not Norris-calibre as his contract might imply, but he would be deserving of top pairing duty on any team in the NHL, now that Suter has left Nashville.

Very well put.

I would say that he's a quality defensive player. I'm not sure all of this is warranted with all the money aside.

On this proposed trade, the Flames would receive back an overpaid 2nd/3rd line centreman and a fringe 2nd pairing dman. I say that with the upmost respect for Klein because you don't really know what you'll get out of him long term. He does look good, but players coming out of such a good defensive system tend to get exposed. I think he'd be a good #4 on many teams throughout the league.

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Guido Sarducci

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Id say no to this simply because i dont see much Value in what NSH is sending our way, plus were giving up a 2nd.

Doesnt really fill a need for the Flames either.
It fills a HUGE need for the Flames. The Flames biggest need is to change the culture of losing in their dressing room. They need to cut their losses on Bouwmeester and move on. The problem with the Nashville package is that they are being asked to give up their franchise leader in just about every category and a young player who they recently extended for 5 years. I just don't see Nashville doing that when the are in win now mode.

Bouwmeester for Austin Watson and a 2nd

Guido Sarducci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 06:49 PM
Machinehead
I Bring The Weather

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
What's with all the hate for Jay Bouwmeester?

I think that he's a good defenseman playing in a terrible system.
It's not anything wrong with Bouwmeester. It's just that he's not that much better than Kevin Klein and Klein is making 1.35M compared to Bouwmeester's 6.8M.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Johnny Hoxville
**** Cancer

vCash: 2403
I'd personally pass from a Calgary POV. Besides I want to see Jbo play with Wideman if there's ever hockey again.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote