HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

If the NHLPA disbands, would the owners merge?

Old
12-21-2012, 04:38 PM
victor

vCash: 500
If the NHLPA disbands, would the owners merge?

In 2005, a subsidiary of Bain Capital, Bain and Game Plan LLC, offered greater than $4.0b for the entire league. (Source) At the time, the plan was to create a structure similar to Major League Soccer, where each team makes its own personnel decisions within a budget set by the league.

If the NHLPA disbands the union, what recourse would players have if the owner's chose to merge all of the franchises into a single entity?

What do you think would be the impact be on player salaries? No union, centralized ownership, and competition only from leagues like the KHL.

If you were an owner, and were offered a representative percentage in shares in the new corporation (e.g. NYR represents 15% of the income, Dolan is offer 15% of the voting shares,) would you accept? If not, why?

victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 04:41 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

I would say no.

It's like the Great Britain deciding against joining the monetary union. You lose the ability to control your own fiscal and monetary policy, and can end up on the hook for the foibles of other 'managers.'

I think NHL owners would prefer self-determination, especially the ones who are making money, or not losing all that much.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 04:48 PM
victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I would say no.

It's like the Great Britain deciding against joining the monetary union. You lose the ability to control your own fiscal and monetary policy, and can end up on the hook for the foibles of other 'managers.'

I think NHL owners would prefer self-determination, especially the ones who are making money, or not losing all that much.
Good point, and for some of the owner's (I'm looking at you, Ed Snider,) I'm sure that it would be true.

That said, if I were an owner, the thought of the increased profitability across the entire league would be enticing. No player minimum salaries, and revenues would likely continue.

Also, as an owner, liquidity of capital is likely a concern, as well. Team's are hard to move, and it's a challenging investment, to say the least, if you need capital quick.

victor is offline   Reply With Quote