HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXVII; Route66 - Aftermath

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2012, 04:58 PM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyotes View Post
Just curious, and not trying to pick a fight here, but how do you know that to be the case? I get the delay argument, but why continue down this path if GJ can't close the deal. Seems after signing the lease, all fingers would point to him as the reason why the deal didn't close. That being the case, why take on that kind of public embarrasment? If he were going to bail, wouldn't have made more sense when the CoG tried to renig on the deal he reached back in June?

Maybe you have some information not available to the public.
I think it's a case of looking for a last minute miracle, a hail mary pass from an unexpected source. If he can't get all these other things in order, then it doesn't matter if he suddenly wins the lottery at the last minute...

Old
12-21-2012, 04:58 PM
manisback121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Still think the signing is more of a PR stunt. The timing alone I find too coincidental, right on the last day before pratically everyone is on holidays for the better part of the next 2 weeks.

As others has stated earlier, a condition of closing is for Mr. Jamison actually buying the team. Perhaps all the signing does is prevents the new council from squashing this between Jan 15 and 31.

Something tells me this one is still far from over

Why sign the deal without hurt clauses?

Stunt

I would rather like him signing with the league and the hurt that he can incur by failing to go through.

But an NHL condition deal will hurt him if he failed to buy hhahaha

Old
12-21-2012, 09:34 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Lol I don't know why everybody seems in denial. If it's gone this far then odds are he has the dough. I'm looking forward to watching Glendale get the piss kicked out of it financially. Hopefully the AMF goes to the Tohono owned Coyotes while the city terminates another 200 jobs.

Old
12-21-2012, 09:41 PM
Patofqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L View Post
Lol I don't know why everybody seems in denial. If it's gone this far then odds are he has the dough. I'm looking forward to watching Glendale get the piss kicked out of it financially. Hopefully the AMF goes to the Tohono owned Coyotes while the city terminates another 200 jobs.
Actually he as been trying to find investors for two years, and we are still waiting for the sale to be concluded... just facts my friend. Show me the money!!

Old
12-21-2012, 09:51 PM
davemac1313

vCash: 143
@JSportsnet Correction: City of Glendale has signed lease management agreement. Jamison will sign as soon as he receives signed docs.

Joyce Clark@clarkjv

sooooo...Not Yet...

Old
12-21-2012, 09:57 PM
Mightygoose

vCash: 514
Another thought and it may sound silly at first.

Does anyone know how he signed?

@JSportsnet Correction: City of Glendale has signed lease management agreement. Jamison will sign as soon as he receives signed docs.

Joyce Clark@clarkjv

sooooo...Not Yet...

Meaning, I understand this needs to be signed by 3 parties to be a done deal

1) The city manager. Mr. Skeete - check
2) The Arena Manager
3) The owner of the Coyotes

2 blanks remain!

Last edited by Mightygoose: 12-21-2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Looks like my question was answer just after I posted it
Old
12-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Patofqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac1313 View Post

Joyce Clark@clarkjv

sooooo...Not Yet...
Plus even if he signs, it will be conditional on completing the sale. No big deal.

Old
12-21-2012, 10:39 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
*hears that Jamison's signing lease documents*

No way, my Mayan joke was right?

*reads about details*

Same old, same old.

Old
12-22-2012, 12:04 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
January 31st was stated as the deadline at the last Glendale city council meeting where they voted to approve the lease. What I can't remember is whether that was the deadline for Jamison to purchase the team or merely sign the lease, and I'm too lazy to go back through the thread right now.

It's not just a made up date. Scruggs herself made it very clear.
Actually it was Jamison who made it very clear to Scruggs when the drop dead date was. But who's watching??

In a nut shell.....

The ordinance making the AMF official goes into effect on 12/27/31. Which is when the window opens for Jamison to purchase the team. That window closes on 1/31/13.

Old
12-22-2012, 12:16 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Feelin' at bit nervous there Pat??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Knowing that Jamieson has to complete his financing and buying the team before january 31rst or the deal is dead, if i was GWI i would lunch a challenge even if they know they wont have much of a chance to win, just to make things difficult for Jamieson.
GWI had been to every council session involving a lease agreement with a persective owner repeatedly beating their chests..... until Jamison. They didn't even get involved with Ken Jones' latest referendum drive, which is going down in flames.... again. You honestly think they're going to just ride in now and deliver the team to Quebec City??

Quote:
Well not if you start with a 40 million per year deficit to start with...
Really like to know which orifice you pulled that number from???

Quote:
Actually he as been trying to find investors for two years, and we are still waiting for the sale to be concluded... just facts my friend. Show me the money!!
He has the investors. Was reported back in the summer the money is in escrow. But some of it is contingent upon acquiring a lease agreement with Glendale.... which he is about to complete.

Quote:
Plus even if he signs, it will be conditional on completing the sale. No big deal.
Oh..... a big deal it is.

Old
12-22-2012, 12:57 AM
Patofqc

I have no expectations with the Coyotes, but we shall see if Jamieson as the money or not by january 31rst.

Old
12-22-2012, 07:22 AM
JMT21

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
I thought they lost 20 million last year? I am sure the increased revenue sharing + 15 million dollar handout should atleast help Jamison make a buck. Officially, the Yotes will still be bleeding red ink, but unofficially, Jamison is going to be making money.

I could be wrong if the Yotes did lose 40 million per year.
The Forbes numbers indicated a 20.8M loss last season. Unsure if that figure included 25M the COG had to give the league. The playoff revenue the Yotes made is likely included which should have been in the range of around 8M. The loss would have been close to 30M if they missed the playoffs.

It will cost GJ around 6M to operate the arena so 9M will be to help offset losses. The next CBA would have to be quite different with lots more revenue sharing added to give the team any hope to post anything better than a 10M - 15M loss.

Old
12-22-2012, 07:52 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
He has the investors. Was reported back in the summer the money is in escrow. But some of it is contingent upon acquiring a lease agreement with Glendale.... which he is about to complete.
i dont know of any information about that other than a single newspaper report back in the Fall that casually mentioned the money was in escrow. and that report was never corroborated. nothing was ever stated directly by any party involved in this. what do you know?

and how do you know that some of it was conditional on a lease agreement ? ... an agreement that has been negatively modified since the money being in escrow was first reported, btw.

Old
12-22-2012, 08:37 AM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

vCash: 204
Quote:
GWI had been to every council session involving a lease agreement with a persective owner repeatedly beating their chests..... until Jamison. They didn't even get involved with Ken Jones' latest referendum drive, which is going down in flames.... again. You honestly think they're going to just ride in now and deliver the team to Quebec City??
Don't be naive. TL - I would consider you a reasonable intelligent person (for the majority of your posts anyways), so I assume you're bright enough to know that GWI hasn't had anything to challenge yet, nothing has been formally signed by the CoG. Now that the CoG has dealt their hand in full (no bluffs), the rest of us expect GWI to jump on this like a fat kid on cake.

As for deliver the team to Quebec, unlikely, but the team shouldn't remain in Glendale, anywhere else would be better at this point.

Quote:
Do you have a credible source? No, no you don't. However one can easily assume since it has taken GJ 16+ MONTHS to raise the capital funding to purchase the team that he likely doesn't have it.

However to give you the benefit of the doubt, he might have some of it, or he might have all of it, no one actually knows, that's the beauty of speculation. Personally I don't think he does otherwise why wouldn't he close when he was getting a much bigger piece of the pie with the old AMF agreement?

Quote:
No, it really isn't. It's like me sending out a contract for execution to one of my clients, until I sign it, it isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Old
12-22-2012, 11:39 AM
mesamonster

Quote:
Feelin' at bit nervous there Pat??

Really like to know which orifice you pulled that number from???

TL, your delusion knows no boundaries! The losses for the year far exceeded $25MM and likely made the $40MM level. Don`t believe me, MInnesota lost $12MM last year with operating fundamentals that put the Coyotes to shame! To say that the two franchises losses were even $10MM apart is disingenuous and naive! Take some time and compare every metric between the two and you will realize your mistake in judgement.

AS for GJ`s $$$$, please enlighten all of us with your source that is a third party and credible! None such information exists. GJ, has been pulling the wool over the Councils eyes for 16 months, not to mention the non-existent media who have refused to vet this guy, a complete sham which is about to be exposed with the passage of time!

Old
12-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Another thought and it may sound silly at first.

Does anyone know how he signed?

Joyce Clark@clarkjv

sooooo...Not Yet...

Meaning, I understand this needs to be signed by 3 parties to be a done deal

1) The city manager. Mr. Skeete - check
2) The Arena Manager
3) The owner of the Coyotes

2 blanks remain!
Yup. We knew that Glendale would sign the lease. It now must be signed by Jamison (as "Arena Manager") and whoever "the Owner" is. We still have no information on the identity of Jamison's investors, but who really cares, right?

Old
12-22-2012, 11:47 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
TL, your delusion knows no boundaries! The losses for the year far exceeded $25MM and likely made the $40MM level. Don`t believe me, MInnesota lost $12MM last year with operating fundamentals that put the Coyotes to shame! To say that the two franchises losses were even $10MM apart is disingenuous and naive! Take some time and compare every metric between the two and you will realize your mistake in judgement.

AS for GJ`s $$$$, please enlighten all of us with your source that is a third party and credible! None such information exists. GJ, has been pulling the wool over the Councils eyes for 16 months, not to mention the non-existent media who have refused to vet this guy, a complete sham which is about to be exposed with the passage of time!
The Sharks sold out every game and still didn't turn a profit, I can see the Coyotes losing plenty of money. But the fact that the Sharks lost money after selling out shows that the NHL has a huge problem, and not with just the Coyotes.

Old
12-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Jopsey

What do you guys think would of happened if the Coyotes wouldn't have made it as far as they did last season. Do you think this would be over with by now?

Old
12-22-2012, 11:49 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopsey View Post
What do you guys think would of happened if the Coyotes wouldn't have made it as far as they did last season. Do you think this would be over with by now?
Nope.

Old
12-22-2012, 12:11 PM
SCP Guy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
The Sharks sold out every game and still didn't turn a profit, I can see the Coyotes losing plenty of money. But the fact that the Sharks lost money after selling out shows that the NHL has a huge problem, and not with just the Coyotes.
How many tickets you sell isn't the problem....it's how much you sell them for that counts.....

You can sell 8k tickets per game....as long as you can charge $300 per ticket and every person there has seven $10 beers and eats 3 $9 hotdogs all is good

On a serious note.....if every person that walks into the arena isn't worth over an average of $100 spent on tickets and goodies it is hard to turn a profit in the gate driven NHL

P.S. These numbers were pulled out of my a$$ so take them for what they are worth lol

Last edited by SCP Guy: 12-22-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old
12-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopsey View Post
Why would it be? GJ investors would back out saying that team sucks. Not likely, I hope they are not planning on the Yotes making the 3rd round every year.

Old
12-22-2012, 02:06 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Yup. We knew that Glendale would sign the lease. It now must be signed by Jamison (as "Arena Manager") and whoever "the Owner" is. We still have no information on the identity of Jamison's investors, but who really cares, right?
Arizona Arena Hockey Partners LLC and Arizona Hockey Partners LLC respectively.

Old
12-22-2012, 04:29 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
TL, your delusion knows no boundaries!
TheLegend is not delusional. He is a fan of a team that has been to hell and back over the last 3 years.
Yet, he comes in here and takes on all comers while taking the high road.

He deserves to keep his team. Good for him.

Old
12-22-2012, 04:32 PM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
How many tickets you sell isn't the problem....it's how much you sell them for that counts.....
you dont think that every club knows that? but before they jack up the price, they better fill the seats and keep 'em filled for a few years. its a multi-step process requiring a very strategic, long-term business plan.

thats the main reason im interested in this whole coyotes mess.

as much as i am convincing myself that this whole fiasco has been for reasons that extend well beyond this team in this market ... and who knows what sort of diabolical, evil-genius meta-plan the league has for its overall future ... i am absolutely fascinated to see the business plan the newest hypothetical local owner, a guy named jamison this week, has for the coyotes. i wanna know how he thinks this can be turned around. it's a glitzy business test case but sadly, im still waiting for something, anything, actually related to that plan. quality hockey, build a market, blah blah blah, high school graduations and "that idol show the kids like" isnt terribly satisfying fodder for us business junkies. i want more.

Old
12-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Hawker14

It's not often people purchase massively cash-flow negative, distressed assets at two to three times value... and there's still been no action by Jamison (and/or his supposed group) as far as I can tell, to finalize the lease/purchase yet.

The fact that Glendale singularly signing the document is somehow deemed newsworthy by John Shannon, and considered as advancing the process, is kind of a joke imo.

Closed Thread