Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Sudbury Wolves 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

vCash: 500
Hey guys,

How has Corrado played since being cut from the World Junior Roster? By his comments it sounded like it lit a fire inside of him, has it translated into his play? Do you think you guys end up trading him to a contender?

Thanks

Old
12-17-2012, 08:57 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Hey guys,

How has Corrado played since being cut from the World Junior Roster? By his comments it sounded like it lit a fire inside of him, has it translated into his play? Do you think you guys end up trading him to a contender?

Thanks
He played good over the weekend and was very consistent. I think he knew that the Jr camp was a planned procedure and has accepted it.

They should trade Corrado for the better of the team, and also to give Corrado a chance of being on a OHL champion.

Old
12-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Section19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Thats why if BS trades the Sudbury 5 this year, and gets draft picks and prospects, he can use some picks in a trade to secure an older proven goalie, or import goalie like Dansk, that can get the job done.

We will make the playoffs this year without the Sudbury 5, and it will be a learning program for the young players on the team. Next year is when they have to make a run at it, as per reasons I mentioned before.

If they can make a serious run next year, that will motivate other agents, players and parents to come to Sudbury, and hopefullly do some damage control.
Players, parents and their agents started coming around regarding to coming to Sudbury after Cull's first season because he actually played the rookies. Foligno never played the rookies. All this NONSENSE with Connor ruined any headway and credibility the team had made in their recruiting. Vilardi was asked to join the team a couple of weeks ago as an AP but declined and I don't blame him one bit.

Also, I can't see the Wolves getting rid of either Kahun or Kubalik for Dansk or any other import goalie. For the first time in quite sometime, the Wolves actually have a PAIR of imports that can play now and further develop in the OHL for a few years.

The Wolves won't make any moves to try and solidify a run for next year. If anything, they'll sit tight and make a minor move or two. They'll only truly make a run when Connor is 19. Any hopes Wolves fans have for a championship sadly lay with CB and whoever is around at the time.

Old
12-19-2012, 08:54 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section19 View Post
Players, parents and their agents started coming around regarding to coming to Sudbury after Cull's first season because he actually played the rookies. Foligno never played the rookies. All this NONSENSE with Connor ruined any headway and credibility the team had made in their recruiting. Vilardi was asked to join the team a couple of weeks ago as an AP but declined and I don't blame him one bit.

Also, I can't see the Wolves getting rid of either Kahun or Kubalik for Dansk or any other import goalie. For the first time in quite sometime, the Wolves actually have a PAIR of imports that can play now and further develop in the OHL for a few years.

The Wolves won't make any moves to try and solidify a run for next year. If anything, they'll sit tight and make a minor move or two. They'll only truly make a run when Connor is 19. Any hopes Wolves fans have for a championship sadly lay with CB and whoever is around at the time.
He may play the rookies more than Foligno would have, but he still doesnt play them as other teams do, especially their high draft picks- Baptiste, Campagna. They stayed on 3rd and 4th lines in their first years, and some of their 2nd years.

Laughton, Gaunce, Dal Colle, Gemel Smith, all played on top 2 lines, and saw them develop over 2 years. In Sudbury, that has not happened.

Thank God for injuries, and that forced Cull to play Campagna with Baptiste, on first line minutes, and both have excelled. Without the injuries, both would have received minimal minutes to Leivo, Kantor, and Campagna would have aready asked for a trade.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
He played good over the weekend and was very consistent. I think he knew that the Jr camp was a planned procedure and has accepted it.

They should trade Corrado for the better of the team, and also to give Corrado a chance of being on a OHL champion.
Very consistent seems like one of his main attributes.

I'd really like to see him get a chance at the OHL title & see you guys get a nice piece or 2 back.

Old
12-21-2012, 10:25 PM
bonefizzle

Hearing Vilardi will be joining the wolves very shortly... tonight may have even been his last game in kingston.

Know for a fact he has been asked to join the team and is pondering whether to do it or go ncaa...

Old
12-21-2012, 10:42 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefizzle View Post
Hearing Vilardi will be joining the wolves very shortly... tonight may have even been his last game in kingston.

Know for a fact he has been asked to join the team and is pondering whether to do it or go ncaa...
I hope Vilardi is coming to join the Wolves, because BS is considering some trades, especially with players that wont be back next year.

Old
12-22-2012, 04:41 AM
Lanny

Scuttle but from the arena is that Corrado was upset with Burgess for making him drive back from Toronto after being cut from the Canadian world junior team. Tom Wilson of the Plymouth Whalers was flown from Toronto to Sudbury. It was kind of evident when Frankie skated onto the ice for player announcements. He skated with his head down throw the wolf and extremely slow. There is supposed to be in place now a deal for 3 players and from what I was told those players are Sefton, Leivo and Carrado. I am not sure if they are separate deals or a package. I challenged my source as I do not believe Sefton would be included as he can and will be back for an over age year. If the three players were to be packaged together, we would not recognize the Wolves in early January.
If I can remember the spring skate for the Wolves and training camp, Vilardi did not light it up. His numbers in Kingston are not mind blowing. He was an above average player in the spring skate and an unnoticeable player during the main camp. The player that caught my eye was Peters from North Bay. His numbers are much better and I thought he was a much stronger skater. In either case, both players will not make any kind of impact on the Wolves this year.

I would hope that Viardi, LeBlanc and Peters are all players the wolves will need on their roster next year. Along with some decent players and good picks from the upcoming player transactions, the Wolves may have a chance. From watching others teams come in to Sudbury, the Wolves need some size up front. Letís hope B.S. can get a defenseman and some sizeable wingers. I think he can get and older goaltender cheap and he just may do that with the kid in Copper Cliff playing pretty good right now.

Old
12-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Arsenault

Would love to see Vilardi and LeBlanc in Sudbury but rumour has it both are NCAA bound. Wolves need to start paying a bit more attention to their developing players if they want to build from bottom up. Had the occasion of watching both these players play Junior A and while Vilardi has slowed down a bit in recent games both have been dominate in many games.

Old
12-22-2012, 01:47 PM
Hockeyfriend

First - for the players like Vilardi and LeBlanc to come to Sudbury would mean long term injuries or trades would have to take place. Injuries you cannot count on and don't think anyone would come to Sudbury to go through the deal of sitting out more often than not especially behind the likes of a CB (no offense to the kid). Trades - As much as packages are great, I don't see the three going together or even two of them. I think you might see a Leivo go but with a player like Silk. What I am saying is that we may not get what we need out of it.

Second - Tier 2 is nothing like OHL having seen kids not do well in OHL only to find success in tier 2 or vice versa, kids havinf success in tier 2 only to struggle at OHL. There is exceptions, of course, but it is very difficult to make that transition.

Old
12-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Arsenault

Missed my point, I am not saying that they should be playing this year; actually I for one, believe that for most drafties (there are the excemptions) a year at Junior A is much better than being a 4th liners on an OHL team. What I wished to stress was that Sudbury does a dismal job maintaining a constructive and nurturing relationship wth its prospect compared to other clubs. Unfortunate but true, just ask around the league.

Old
12-22-2012, 03:24 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenault View Post
Missed my point, I am not saying that they should be playing this year; actually I for one, believe that for most drafties (there are the excemptions) a year at Junior A is much better than being a 4th liners on an OHL team. What I wished to stress was that Sudbury does a dismal job maintaining a constructive and nurturing relationship wth its prospect compared to other clubs. Unfortunate but true, just ask around the league.
Agreed Arsenault.

Sudbury has a nucleus of 2 to 3 good lines for next year, as I have discussed previously and they will have to lose their fab 5 now via trade, and sacrifice the 2nd half of the season, but it will help them tremendously next year.

Alot more quality time for the remaining 94s and 95s, along with some playing time for possible kids like Vilardi, Leblanc, Peters, Poulin Roy, Cummins, DeHaan, etc... will definitely strengthen their team for next year's run.

The trades can provide imediate help for next year in the form of 94s and 95s, and some much needed draft picks to secure OAs and possibly a #1 goalie.

Make the moves BS, and think of next year and not this year. We will still make playoffs this year, and who knows, the East is up for the taking.

Old
12-23-2012, 08:10 PM
chewerjones

I hear that only Corrado and Leivo are the only serious threats to be dealt??

Old
12-25-2012, 06:10 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
I hear that only Corrado and Leivo are the only serious threats to be dealt??
Twitter had this going:

Quote:
Mark Seidel ‏@MarkSeidel
Heard in Ottawa this weekend that Josh Leivo (Sudbury) will be moved once the freeze is over. I can't confirm it but I expect it to happen!
Quote:
Mark Seidel ‏@MarkSeidel
@Thomas_Duncan They will be sellers. I have no knowledge about Corrado moving yet but you're right. Great Kids!
Any rumours as to their destination?

Old
12-25-2012, 07:09 PM
chewerjones

Supposedly BS had 2-3 trades completed a couple of weeks ago, but all deals fell through because the players coming to Sudbury wouldnt report.

One of the deals had Leivo heading to Barrie, but the young prospect coming back didnt want to report to Sudbury.

Old
12-26-2012, 08:47 PM
tolmie79

who was the prospect heading to the wolevs foe levio

Old
12-26-2012, 10:21 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolmie79 View Post
who was the prospect heading to the wolevs foe levio
Perlini

Old
12-26-2012, 11:49 PM
djscooter

Quote:
Perlini
If thats the case, the wolves should be thanking Perlini

Old
12-27-2012, 06:50 AM
Hockeyfriend

Wolves Direction

There has been plenty of speculation on what direction Sudbury will take post January 10th (trade deadline). Some of the factors:

- Dressing room. Both BS and TC have been clear in the media that they want character players. They have also been clear about the player wanting to be there...that they will try and trade those who do not wish to be there and will not accept a player in a trade who doesn't want to be there.

- Believe that management feel a 6th-8th place finish is acceptable because they believe what happened in 2010-11 when they knocked off Ottawa (who was depleted of their top players) will happen again and hance get to a 2nd round. In other words they feel that it is like the NHL - if you make it to post season anything can happen.

- CB will stay on the roster, will get more ice when players are out but believe TC will manage his ice time accordingly - however, this may/will cause issues with those 4th liners who will see less ice due to being on that line How will this sit with half a season to go?

- Believe that core of trades will include one or more of the following - Leivo, Corrado, Sefton and possibly Vienneau - but all depends on direction they will take. Believe Sudbury does not have much in the way of future draft picks (ie 2nd/3rd rounders) so if they understand that they will more than likely not make a long run into the playoffs they send the boys off to contenders thanking them for their services and get picks in return because if they don't...they lose two of these guys for sure to AHL next year.

- Shopping list includes a younger proven goalie to work with Dupuis. A PP defence quarterback. De Hann will be good but not sure if he will be ready for next year. This to replace Corrado next year but needs to be brought on now to work with Frank Two bigger scoring wingers...2 capable of 20-25 goals that can add grit Remember TC's style of game is a dump and chase, not possession You need the bigger bodies.

They have a good core of 95's/94's that will not go anywhere unless traded in a package with above players so they look good for next season, but need to fill the holes.

Any thoughts?

Old
12-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Section19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfriend View Post
Remember TC's style of game is a dump and chase, not possession You need the bigger bodies.
Ugh, wrong. Cull's style of game IS the puck possession game. He said so many times before ... specially when he was hired. Yes, the team does dump and chase but it's only a few players that actually do because they can't stickhandle.

As for this supposed trade that failed for Perlini, we should all be thankful and send Perlini gifts for not accepting. He's terrible for a first rounder.

Old
12-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Section19

It hasn't been mentioned on here yet but the Wolves are calling up Colton Spicer and Tyler Prong for the holidays to replace Kahun (WJHC) and Cummins (U-17) for the holidays.

Looking forward to seeing Spicer, he should have been on the team from the get go this season ... but you know, politics.

Old
12-27-2012, 04:17 PM
chewerjones

Word on the street is that most teams are only calling for Leivo, Corrado an Sefton.

If they can trade Dodero, and Kantor for prospects or reasonable draft picks, then it makes sense for them to move the players that wont be around next year.

Old
12-27-2012, 04:50 PM
djscooter

Quote:
Word on the street is that most teams are only calling for Leivo, Corrado an Sefton.

If they can trade Dodero, and Kantor for prospects or reasonable draft picks, then it makes sense for them to move the players that wont be around next year.
Same word on the street that said Palazzese would be in the a wolves jersey?

Old
12-27-2012, 04:59 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by djscooter View Post
Same word on the street that said Palazzese would be in the a wolves jersey?
I would think that Palazzese would be great for Sudbury.

Is this a recent rumour? Is the source reliable?

Old
12-28-2012, 08:52 AM
Section19

Quote:
I would think that Palazzese would be great for Sudbury.

Is this a recent rumour? Is the source reliable?
I believe he's mocking all the trade rumours that have been thrown around. Palazzese was rumoured over a month ago to be coming over in a trade "next week".

Frankly, I wouldn't want Palazzese, I'd rather see them start Dupuis more often and play Vienneau less. I honestly don't think Palazzese is much of an upgrade to be giving up anything useful but then again, the Wolves did trade a 2nd and a 4th for a 3rd for Burgess so it's obvious they'll give up a king's ransom for Palazzese. Don't forget, Jacob Riley had stellar numbers when the Wolves traded for him, I think acquiring Palazzese would be the same thing.

Closed Thread