HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Undo a trade in the past 2 seasons! (Since summer 2010)

Old
12-21-2012, 12:23 PM
blankall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
I don't think its bad enough to need to do much about. Reggie hasn't been that good since leaving either.

Its hard to consider this a bad trade given past trends in the sutter trades lol. In perspective this was almost an even trade if we only took a minor loss lol.
You make a strong point. It boils down to it being hard to accept that Regehr, who was a mainstay on the Flames for so long, is not as good as he was. The value of a pure shut down guy is just not as high as it was.

I guess if we really want him back, we can pick him up as a UFA this offseason.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 12:48 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Undo the Ballard trade.

-GMMG feels forced to re-sign Willie M for 10M/3 years
-Signs Hamhuis anyway
-Maybe trade Grabner for a 2nd round pick or something like that (wasn't going to stick anyway)

Win Stanley Cup.

Re-sign Ehrhoff at 4.5/7 years

Repeat as SCF champions

Trade Ehrhoff for Kassian

Sign Garrison

Have Howden and whatever boom-or-bust prospect from Grabner trade in the system. Have both Hodgson and Kassian.

????

Proooofit!
This is some real fantasyland stuff.

I don't think the Canucks would have re-signed Mitchell for multiple years, so he probably ends up in LA no matter what. Not to mention some of the other stuff you've imagined here.

Still, I would also pick the Ballard trade.

The Canucks probably could have dumped Steve Bernier the same way they dumped SOB and Darcy Hordichuk the next season, and at the deadline Michael Grabner plus a recent first round pick would probably be enough to make a significant upgrade at the deadline.

Given Keith Ballard contributed little to the Canucks playoff run and that they had so many forwards injured, you have to think that another quality deadline acquisition (Mike Fisher? Bryan Allen? Chris Kelly? Kris Versteeg? Rusty Klesla? Eric Brewer? Rich Peverly?) could have been enough to win one more game in the Finals.

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 12:48 PM
jameswrjobe53

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr john carlson View Post
ribeiro for eakin + 2nd. Value wise it was great and filled a need, but the lockout meant that he was useless this year, and he probably won't re-sign so we gave up a good prospect and a good pick for literally nothing.
thisssss!

jameswrjobe53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 01:01 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Stalberg is a borderline 3rd/2nd liner, while Dido and Paradis will never play a game in the NHL.

Stuart Percy (picked with the 1st acquired for Versteeg) should be a solid Dman for us for years to come. Dido is currently playing in Italy (...and not because of the lockout). Paradis currently has 3 pts in 15 AHL games. Hes a definite bust.
Paradis is a power-forward C, those take much longer to develop unless they are super-elite. Paradis might not realise his potential till age 26-27.

DiDomenico was a broken man after being dealt. Maybe he never had it in him, but he (just like Tucker) was a Heart-On-His-Sleeve type of player, and having the incentive of playing for the team he grew up watching gave him more fight than in Chicago. It's just a What-If scenario, but he always showed more promise in Toronto.

Stalberg had the same G/60 as Phil Kessel in 11-12 at 1.14 G/60 and he finished only a hair behind Kessel in P/60 with Kessel notching 2.46 P/60 and Stalberg notching 2.34 P/60.

Had Stalberg put up the stats he did in Chicago on the Leafs last season, Stalberg would have been the 2nd or 3rd best forward on the Leafs roster.

Percy has looked good at times and worse at others, plus he's had some severe injuries and may never reach his potential if injuries continue to lag his development.

Josh Leivo might help make up for it, but if I had to choose between having Stalberg and Paradis versus Percy and Leivo, I would take Stalberg and Paradis as of right now.

Burke did his best to flip the assets for a good return, though.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 01:27 PM
LombardiTool

March 3, 2010 – LA Kings acquired Jeff Halpern from the Tampa Bay Lightning for Teddy Purcell and a third-round choice in 2010 NHL Entry Draft.

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 01:46 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Paradis is a power-forward C, those take much longer to develop unless they are super-elite. Paradis might not realise his potential till age 26-27.

DiDomenico was a broken man after being dealt. Maybe he never had it in him, but he (just like Tucker) was a Heart-On-His-Sleeve type of player, and having the incentive of playing for the team he grew up watching gave him more fight than in Chicago. It's just a What-If scenario, but he always showed more promise in Toronto.

Stalberg had the same G/60 as Phil Kessel in 11-12 at 1.14 G/60 and he finished only a hair behind Kessel in P/60 with Kessel notching 2.46 P/60 and Stalberg notching 2.34 P/60.

Had Stalberg put up the stats he did in Chicago on the Leafs last season, Stalberg would have been the 2nd or 3rd best forward on the Leafs roster.

Percy has looked good at times and worse at others, plus he's had some severe injuries and may never reach his potential if injuries continue to lag his development.

Josh Leivo might help make up for it, but if I had to choose between having Stalberg and Paradis versus Percy and Leivo, I would take Stalberg and Paradis as of right now.

Burke did his best to flip the assets for a good return, though.
Look at his line mates, Stalberg is a supporting cast player not someone who can initiate his own offence. I'd still take versteeg over Stalberg and paradis and didomenico are worthless. If your going to ***** about a deal it should bt Tlusty for paradis.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 01:59 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Look at his line mates, Stalberg is a supporting cast player not someone who can initiate his own offence. I'd still take versteeg over Stalberg and paradis and didomenico are worthless. If your going to ***** about a deal it should bt Tlusty for paradis.
I don't like that one either but it happened in December 2009. The Versteeg trade was in the Summer of 2010, which was the limit set in this thread.

I continue to disagree about Paradis. It's too early to call on him. Things aren't looking great but a player like him will take time to develop, so it's too early to call.

Old
12-21-2012, 02:22 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

vCash: 50
For the Sharks, the only correct answer is the McGinn trade. His size and physicality will be needed, especially if Clowe signs elsewhere. Winnik has signed with Anaheim and Galiardi didn't look much more than a 3rd liner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Moore for a 2nd isn't a bad trade, but he was preoccupied with his wife's cancer treatments, understandably, but played some ****** hockey for the Sharks. I'd take several of the prospects we could have had with the 37th overall we gave up over two months of disinterested Moore.
Yeah it wasn't the best deal ever but I don't really mind that trade. Wilson took a chance on a player we needed at the time. I wouldn't mind if Moore re-signed here.

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 02:43 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
If I had to choose one Penguins trade, it would be Zbynek Michalek for Harrison Ruopp, Marc Cheverie and a 3rd round pick.

I don't hate the trade, Ruopp was a guy Pittsburgh was looking at in the 2nd round in 2011 before they took Harrington, then he ended up being selected with the 3rd round pick we traded so we got a player we wanted. I just think the Pens could have worked out a better deal with the Coyotes.
That Jagr trade with Washington should top all for the Pens, but this is good enough for this topic.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Calad
Section 422

John Scott for a 5th rounder? As a Rangers fan, we don't have much to be unhappy with Slats in this department

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Cogburn

Halpern for Purcell and a third round pick, Ballard for Grabner, Bernier and a 1st, the Quincey, Downie and Detroit's 1st three way, Stalberg-Chicago-Toronto, Leddy for Barker and Kessel...we have a lot in common haha. Some trade just don't look good in hindsight.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 02:59 PM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
Phaneuf - Franchise D man, could have been solid with some grooming.
Aulie - Turned into Carter Ashton for the Leafs
Sjostrom - Went back home, lost for nothing

for:

Stajan - Useless player that no one likes
Hagman - Another useless player we had to put on waivers to get rid of
Jamal Mayers - Useless player
Ian White - never worked out for us, traded for Kostopolus, a 4th line grinder, and Babchuk who was benched most of last season and has been horrible in the KHL this year.

The Flames are not very good at trades.

Regehr - Cornerstone of our D pairing, value not crazy high
Kotalik - useless player
2nd rounder - Turned into Jake Mcabe

For:

Butler - Its Butler, most likely a 4th-6th guy, not much upside
Byron - Likely a bottom 6 player, don't see much upside

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 03:18 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
The same could be said of Joffrey Lupul (and it has on multiple occasions). The fact of the matter is that Stalberg is a speedster skater and has the touch to finish too.

The Leafs hve defensive assets out the wazoo. Guys like Franson and Holzer aren't able to get shots at playing time. They had to move out Schenn and Aulie last season to add big power-forwards. Paradis would fit more logically into the build structure Burke is assembling.

Old
12-21-2012, 05:08 PM
IWantSakicAsMyGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
You wouldn't trade a career AHLer for a decent 3rd pairing NHL d-man? Dear God the Hunwick hate is really spinning out of control.

And as Lonewolfe said the Liles trade was a bad one.
Considering where the team is now, yes, I would have kept Cohen instead of Liles.

The Liles trade was essentially giving up Liles and a 1st for Varlamov, which I consider to be acceptable. With those trades being 7 days apart, I'd like to believe Sherman had a plan. Sherman also thought that the D needed to get bigger, so he signed Hejda (same day as Varlamov trade) and O'Brien 2 weeks later. I'm not claiming that Sherman knew Hejda and SOB would sign, but there were some nice options on the market.

I agree that Cohen probably wouldn't have helped the team much (if at all), but Hunwick was horrible his first season here, and not much better the next year. I might be biased, but his mistakes on routine defensive plays far outweigh his rare spectacular offensive play.

IWantSakicAsMyGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 05:50 PM
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
The Flames are not very good at trades.

I agree that the Flames "haven't" been good at trades in the past. Daryl Sutter did some great things for this organization (Kipper for a 2nd, resigning Iginla, etc), but he also made some horrendous moves that have crippled this franchise.

Under the new direction/leadership of Feaster we haven't had enough of a sample size to decide. I would conclude based off of the limited evidence that the Flames have improved in the trade department.

The Regehr for Butler and the Cammy for Borque trades IMO have the Flames coming out the clear winners. It's easy to associate the Sutter era with the Feaster era. I've been guilty of it too.

We have seen (again, IMO) very positive changes under Feaster in terms of trades and drafting. However signing UFA's is definitely in question. All in all, I would change the above quote to "The Flames have made very poor trades in the past, but under new leadership, have been moving in the right direction"

Note: I don't think the Flames were the clear winners in the Reggie trade, but I don't think they lost it either.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 06:38 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Undo this trade, please.

Nick Leddy

Cam Barker
Didn't that trade include Kim Johnsson too? I remember thinking at the time Minnesota got screwed.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 06:55 PM
Zippy316

As a Devils fan, I would say the trade I hared the most was getting Foster. However, by getting him we got rid of Pelley and Fraser in the same deal, even if Foster was atrocious. Foster was the key piece in the Zidlicky deal, which was a good deal for the Devils.

Other than that, the only deal I would want to undo would be Arnott for Halischuk+2nd, but that's only because of what happened that season. Arnott was a perfect fit for our team that year as a second line center, but MacLean had no ****ing idea what he was doing.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 06:57 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calad View Post
John Scott for a 5th rounder? As a Rangers fan, we don't have much to be unhappy with Slats in this department
I remember during one Devils-Rangers game, they had Rupp-Boyle-Scott out during one shift, and that line was ****ing HUGE.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 10:05 PM
judge301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundee1114 View Post
I'd undo the Gilbert for N. Schultz trade. Just shocked I saw that that one happened.
Wow, really? as an Oiler fan, I`d certianly undo that one as well. Minni certianly won that deal IMHO.

judge301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 10:14 PM
luongo321

Cody Hodgson for Zack Kassian

Things that need to be done to smooth this over: FIRE AV

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 10:29 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
Actually can't think of any I'd undo for the Oilers. Only thing that's slightly relative to this I can think of is I wish that they would have pushed harder to move Hemsky for Brayden Schenn couple trade deadlines back.
Schenn was not available at the time. Certainly not for Hemsky. Tambellini have barely made any trades, but Visnovsky for Whitney is shaping up as a pretty bad trade for the Oilers. Visnovsky at the time was an elite offensive defenseman in his prime (put up 68 points the year after the trade). Whitney basically has been a band-aid through most of his time with the Oilers. If season is cancelled, chances he won't be re-signed.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 10:30 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by judge301 View Post
Wow, really? as an Oiler fan, I`d certianly undo that one as well. Minni certianly won that deal IMHO.
Gilbert might be a notch better player, but Schultz fits Oilers' needs better.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 11:04 PM
NHL33*

Varlamov

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 11:16 PM
Jeff L

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL33 View Post
Varlamov
From an outsider's standpoint, I actually think this one was beneficial for both teams.

Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 11:17 PM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
We traded Simon Gagne for ****ing Matt Walker and a 4th. Enough said.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote