HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Eric Lindros vs. Mark Messier - Who was more dominant in his prime?

View Poll Results: Eric Lindros vs. Mark Messier - Who was more dominant in his prime?
Eric Lindros 159 67.66%
Mark Messier 76 32.34%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-22-2012, 12:49 AM
ginopuck

vCash: 500
Eric Lindros vs. Mark Messier - Who was more dominant in his prime?

I'd say it was Lindros, I think during his prime he was the most feared player in the world. Any thoughts?

ginopuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 01:10 AM
seventieslord

I'm gonna wait to see the cases for each player. This is a tough one. Lindros was an amazing player in his prime, but it's not like Messier didn't win Harts himself.

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 02:30 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I'm gonna wait to see the cases for each player. This is a tough one. Lindros was an amazing player in his prime, but it's not like Messier didn't win Harts himself.
You dont need arguments when remembering Erics status in 1996 do you?

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 03:12 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
of course not! But I am open to being convinced that it was greater than Messier's 1987-1994 status.

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 05:11 AM
Regal

I'm not usually a stickler for games played, but the fact that Messier was able to play a similarly nasty game while staying relatively healthy and similarly productive puts him over the top for me

Regal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 09:07 AM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
What about Mark Messier's status in 1996?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Illustrated, February 12, 1996
Messier is leading, the Rangers are following, and everyone else is getting out of the way. Just nine months ago New York looked spent, bullied out of the second round of the playoffs by the younger, tougher Flyers. Messier appeared on the verge of passing the torch as the NHL's best leader to Philadelphia captain Eric Lindros last spring, but before the 22-year-old Lindros dares to claim it, he must recover from second-degree burns this season. In the three Flyers-Rangers matches so far in '95-96, Messier had nine points, Lindros two.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...28/2/index.htm

Lindros' best year in a non-lockout saw him place behind Messier in Hart voting, so imagine if it was 1990 Mark Messier in the running instead. I'd take Lindros in a fist fight or a body-checking contest, but once Messier matured in the mid-1980s, he set a pretty high standard for the next quarter-century. Messier from 1985-86 through 1989-90 was like prime-Lindros with a better head and playoff numbers.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 09:11 AM
BraveCanadian

With all due respect to Messier, who obviously had the greater career and much greater longevity, this is Lindros.

Prime Lindros was one of the most dominant players I have ever seen. Physically imposing all around, an intimidating presence and very talented to boot.

Lindros was pretty much a bigger, stronger, more productive Messier.

It is too bad that a combination of everyone trying to take down the king of the hill as well as his own lack of vision at times led to Lindros' brain getting scrambled.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 09:36 AM
jkrx

Not a big fan of Messier but he was about as a equal when it came to physical dominance. Add to it that he was a much smarter guy on the ice and we have a winner.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Not a big fan of Messier but he was about as a equal when it came to physical dominance. Add to it that he was a much smarter guy on the ice and we have a winner.
Eh, have you seen the poll?

Old
12-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Clown Baby

I feel like the answer is Lindros. He had 3 inches and 30 pounds on Messier, and he played like he knew just how much of an advantage he had over his competition. He was more willing to fight (.062/.026), and when he did it was against skilled fighters.

He wasn't picking spots out there: Messier is to Goberts, McSorely, Hunter, and Otto as Lindros is to Beaukeboom, Stevens, Daneyko, Odelein, Grimson, Simon, Quintal, Pilon, Boughner, Barnaby, Simpson, O'Donnell, and McSorely.

Messier had 7 (of 24) seasons with over 100 pim; Lindros had 8 (of 13). Lindros also holds the distinction of never closing out a season with an PIM/GP less than 1.22. I can't say for certain, but I want to say both have been suspended 3 times (at least). Lindros also led the league in scoring once, which might be tarnished by the lockout. However, it's in the record books all the same.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 11:39 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
I feel like the answer is Lindros. He had 3 inches and 30 pounds on Messier, and he played like he knew just how much of an advantage he had over his competition. He was more willing to fight (.062/.026), and when he did it was against skilled fighters.

He wasn't picking spots out there: Messier is to Goberts, McSorely, Hunter, and Otto as Lindros is to Beaukeboom, Stevens, Daneyko, Odelein, Grimson, Simon, Quintal, Pilon, Boughner, Barnaby, Simpson, O'Donnell, and McSorely.

Messier had 7 (of 24) seasons with over 100 pim; Lindros had 8 (of 13). Lindros also holds the distinction of never closing out a season with an PIM/GP less than 1.22. I can't say for certain, but I want to say both have been suspended 3 times (at least). Lindros also led the league in scoring once, which might be tarnished by the lockout. However, it's in the record books all the same.
It's enough to say that Lindros was better offensively, and far more dominant physically. Perhaps Messier was better in the clutch, but that could be becouse of Erics shortened career.

Old
12-22-2012, 12:22 PM
habsfanatics

Lindros, and this one is not close.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
With all due respect to Messier, who obviously had the greater career and much greater longevity, this is Lindros.

Prime Lindros was one of the most dominant players I have ever seen. Physically imposing all around, an intimidating presence and very talented to boot.

Lindros was pretty much a bigger, stronger, more productive Messier.

It is too bad that a combination of everyone trying to take down the king of the hill as well as his own lack of vision at times led to Lindros' brain getting scrambled.
Pretty much this as we are speaking about prime.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 01:40 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

when lindros came into the league, a number of defensemen said things like, "i thought mark messier was the strongest player ever, but this kid..."

but being that training and conditioning got so much better in the 90s, the argument can be made that messier was as physically dominant in the 80s and maybe early 90s as lindros was in his prime. the fear factor with messier was very real, and while it may have been a little lower than lindros', i don't think it's closer than a lot of posters here suggest. add the durability (and playing 75+ games a year vs. 65-ish has to count for dominance, even if we're just talking primes), twice as many harts, the demonstrably better playoff prime/peak, and being the undisputed leader and best player on two cup winners, and i have a hard time not going with messier here.

and really, even if we're just talking about a fighting contest, maybe even just a push-ups competition, hell even a body building contest, i don't know that messier wouldn't hold his own.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 02:04 PM
Puckgenius*

Messier but he was dirty.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Descendent*

Messier

Descendent* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 02:34 PM
overpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
when lindros came into the league, a number of defensemen said things like, "i thought mark messier was the strongest player ever, but this kid..."

but being that training and conditioning got so much better in the 90s, the argument can be made that messier was as physically dominant in the 80s and maybe early 90s as lindros was in his prime. the fear factor with messier was very real, and while it may have been a little lower than lindros', i don't think it's closer than a lot of posters here suggest. add the durability (and playing 75+ games a year vs. 65-ish has to count for dominance, even if we're just talking primes), twice as many harts, the demonstrably better playoff prime/peak, and being the undisputed leader and best player on two cup winners, and i have a hard time not going with messier here.

and really, even if we're just talking about a fighting contest, maybe even just a push-ups competition, hell even a body building contest, i don't know that messier wouldn't hold his own.
Depends how you define strength. I know Mario Lemieux never touched a weight in his life, but in the late 80s/early 90s I think he was stronger on his skates than Messier. Messier used his physical strength more aggressively, but nobody could move Mario off the puck. At all.

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 02:41 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
Depends how you define strength. I know Mario Lemieux never touched a weight in his life, but in the late 80s/early 90s I think he was stronger on his skates than Messier. Messier used his physical strength more aggressively, but nobody could move Mario off the puck. At all.
that's a good point. i guess for the purposes of this thread, physical dominance is probably brute physical strength plus how it's used. mario and jagr had physical strength in spades, and used it extremely well to protect the puck. messier and lindros did that and more.

so it seems the question might be, lindros could hit you harder, even adjusting for era. could messier make up the difference in other ways (cheapness, even more nastiness, etc.)?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 02:48 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

They played two different games so its hard to compare. Messier played more like Gordie Howe, whereas Lindros played like no one before him. He was a wrecking ball with skill and some grace. Messier was mean, but selective and a much better playmaker.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Dark Shadows

Assuming we take into account that Lindros' crash and bang style was the reason he missed several games a season even before the concussion problems, and hold those missed games against him.

I vote Messier. I saw an Eric Lindros capable of matching Messier's 1990 season, but unable to sustain it over a full season.

Going strictly by what they were capable of and ignoring Lindros' more fragile stature, then maybe I would vote for him. But I personally feel his style caused the injuries every season, so I do hold it against him. His style made him the feared player he was, yet was responsible for his missing games.

Messier played a similar rough style, but not quite so much, but was far far more durable.

If going by sheer peak, the 1990 season of Messier's was the best of either player.

By prime, Lindros strung together more consecutive seasons where he was in the discussion(Or would have been if not for constantly getting himself injured)

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Fred Taylor
The Cyclone

The answer here is definitely Lindros.

Fred Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 05:54 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Eh, have you seen the poll?
I should vote for what everyone else thinks? Or what do you mean?

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 06:55 PM
Elever
Hth

Lindros in his prime imo but I grew up in the 90s so that's why I would say that, he was a bit more impressive and unique to watch. I believe Messier lost his speed a bit after the Rangers cup win.

Anyways this is getting ridiculous, we need a poll section for X vs X in the history forum now or a poll + specific player question section. 10 of the threads on the first page atm are just player vs player or a question about one specific player.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

I like to vote against Messier a lot, but I'm not sure which way to go here really. The short answer is Lindros I think. But then I think back to the playoffs that these guys had...Messier was the bully, regardless of the situation, down 3-0 to the Isles in the '83 Finals, it's Messier that goes out there and just starts mashing faces...whether it was productive or dirty or tone-setting, it happened.

Lindros, I seem to recall getting picked on during the playoffs. Like Joe Thornton. The Lightning using Michel Petit, Igor Ulanov and other hard-hitting annoyances out there against him, they picked on him after the play, away from the play and just kind of threw sticks and stones at him until he crumbled. Darius Kasparaitis and Tomas Sandstrom in Pittsburgh, they picked on him. Not the other way around.

That's the only thing that's really keeping me from voting Lindros. The images in my head of Lindros of being the object bullying in the crunch instead of the bully, like Messier was.

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 07:52 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
They played two different games so its hard to compare. Messier played more like Gordie Howe, whereas Lindros played like no one before him. He was a wrecking ball with skill and some grace. Messier was mean, but selective and a much better playmaker.
He really wasn't, actually.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote