HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lockout Thread UPD 1/6 - framework of new CBA agreed to

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-20-2012, 01:24 PM
  #426
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,655
vCash: 500
Are they allowed to be sponsored by Nike? I thought Reebok owned the NHL.

Kitten Mittons is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 01:40 PM
  #427
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Meanwhile, they take my money before the season's over and give it back well after the games have been cancelled. Your love and defense of the owners sicken's me.
With a reasonable interest rate?

KINGS17 is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 04:16 PM
  #428
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 56,961
vCash: 500
Games cancelled through 1/14/13.

LadyStanley is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 04:33 PM
  #429
Stickmata
Registered User
 
Stickmata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Games cancelled through 1/14/13.
And we all know what that means...any minute we'll get another article indicating Crosby is considering his options overseas..."I'll do it, I'll go to Switzerland...I mean it this time!" Or that owners not wanting to just throw money at him is 'nonsense' that 'makes no sense'.

Stickmata is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 05:31 PM
  #430
bob330i
Registered User
 
bob330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
With a reasonable interest rate?
No. This time around (unlike in 2004), the Sharks are not paying interest on the money they've been holding as far back as July. It's a bit rude.

bob330i is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 06:11 PM
  #431
Stickmata
Registered User
 
Stickmata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob330i View Post
No. This time around (unlike in 2004), the Sharks are not paying interest on the money they've been holding as far back as July. It's a bit rude.
But it is in the terms and conditions you agreed to when you put your deposit in and reserved your season tickets. The T&Cs on season tickets do suck, but they're not a secret.

Stickmata is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 08:50 PM
  #432
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Are they allowed to be sponsored by Nike? I thought Reebok owned the NHL.
Players can be sponsored by any sports company out there. The only thing reebok sponsors is the jerseys. Players wear nike, and plenty other skates, sticks.

Barrie22 is online now  
Old
12-20-2012, 09:36 PM
  #433
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
Players can be sponsored by any sports company out there. The only thing reebok sponsors is the jerseys. Players wear nike, and plenty other skates, sticks.
RG3 got fined for wearing Adidas because NFL is sponsored by Nike. Although he was at a press-conference that time.

Kitten Mittons is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 10:09 PM
  #434
Eighth Fret
Registered User
 
Eighth Fret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
RG3 got fined for wearing Adidas because NFL is sponsored by Nike. Although he was at a press-conference that time.
I think it was because it was at a league press conference. Peyton Manning is sponsored by Reebok and is in a few Reebok commercials, but he wears official NFL gear in the locker room and at NFL events.

Eighth Fret is offline  
Old
12-21-2012, 05:55 PM
  #435
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,927
vCash: 500
This whole thing is absolutely insane. I can only assume the players are stuck in some kind of collective group think that has them patting each other on the backs and convincing themselves they deserve more than the league can afford. How they can possibly think what they are asking for is 'good for hockey' just boggles my mind.

Also, all you folks on the players side I hope you realize any 'raise' they receive is not coming out of the owners pockets, it is coming out of your pockets (the fans).

hockeyball is offline  
Old
12-21-2012, 06:00 PM
  #436
rideaucrusher21
Registered User
 
rideaucrusher21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: CA
Country: United States
Posts: 680
vCash: 500
Assuming the season is canceled, how is the 2013 draft order determined? Do we know? Random? Would be AWESOME to get Mackinnon (sp?) or Jones.

rideaucrusher21 is offline  
Old
12-21-2012, 06:36 PM
  #437
Arrch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NorCal
Country: United States
Posts: 4,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideaucrusher21 View Post
Assuming the season is canceled, how is the 2013 draft order determined? Do we know? Random? Would be AWESOME to get Mackinnon (sp?) or Jones.
I think it depends on what the new CBA (if one is in place) says. If there isn't one, I'd imagine they would use the same model for the last lockout.

Arrch is offline  
Old
12-21-2012, 06:47 PM
  #438
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
This whole thing is absolutely insane. I can only assume the players are stuck in some kind of collective group think that has them patting each other on the backs and convincing themselves they deserve more than the league can afford. How they can possibly think what they are asking for is 'good for hockey' just boggles my mind.

Also, all you folks on the players side I hope you realize any 'raise' they receive is not coming out of the owners pockets, it is coming out of your pockets (the fans).
At least then I could be the one to decide whether I want to pay it or not. Not a compelling argument IMO.

I'm not wholly on either side of the argument. I am fed up with people who think they know everything and the players should just bend over backwards and take it.... whatever "it" might be.

__________________

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline  
Old
12-21-2012, 09:20 PM
  #439
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,655
vCash: 500
Cancel the season please.

Kitten Mittons is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 01:32 AM
  #440
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,950
vCash: 1379
Yeah, at this point just cancel the season and up our chances of getting a high pick.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 01:54 AM
  #441
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
At least then I could be the one to decide whether I want to pay it or not. Not a compelling argument IMO.

I'm not wholly on either side of the argument. I am fed up with people who think they know everything and the players should just bend over backwards and take it.... whatever "it" might be.
That's an assumption in itself. I don't think I know everything, but you don't have a constructive debate when one side is saying "but I could be wrong" the entire time. You gather as much evidence as is available, pick your side, and present it with confidence. Just because you are not always right does not mean you shouldn't have an opinion either.

Also I never implied the players should bend over and take anything. I believe more than fair offers have been presented when looked at with the condition of the league in mind. I honestly don't believe the players will get better than they have already been offered and anything from this point forward is simply a waste of everyone time and money.

hockeyball is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 02:43 AM
  #442
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
That's an assumption in itself. I don't think I know everything, but you don't have a constructive debate when one side is saying "but I could be wrong" the entire time. You gather as much evidence as is available, pick your side, and present it with confidence. Just because you are not always right does not mean you shouldn't have an opinion either.

Also I never implied the players should bend over and take anything. I believe more than fair offers have been presented when looked at with the condition of the league in mind. I honestly don't believe the players will get better than they have already been offered and anything from this point forward is simply a waste of everyone time and money.
I think they're both to blame. That is a reasonable position IMO. So, no, I don't have to take a side.

And I said I was fed up with "people", not "you and others". I even separated it into another paragraph. Sorry I wasn't more clear. Just using the post as an excuse to vent on some peoples posts that I've been to lazy to respond to in the past. Especially those who think that because the owners write the checks that the players should accept anything they're offered and be greatful they're not flipping burgers.

Led Zappa is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 03:35 AM
  #443
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Especially those who think that because the owners write the checks that the players should accept anything they're offered and be greatful they're not flipping burgers.


Phu is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 04:15 AM
  #444
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
This whole thing is absolutely insane. I can only assume the players are stuck in some kind of collective group think that has them patting each other on the backs and convincing themselves they deserve more than the league can afford. How they can possibly think what they are asking for is 'good for hockey' just boggles my mind.

Also, all you folks on the players side I hope you realize any 'raise' they receive is not coming out of the owners pockets, it is coming out of your pockets (the fans).
Let me ask you something... at this point what concession have the owners offered the players? Usually a "partnership" is supposed to be about give and take. Not Take and Take.
Remember when Bettman said it was a partnership? The players aren't race horses.

WantonAbandon is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 09:46 AM
  #445
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Let me ask you something... at this point what concession have the owners offered the players? Usually a "partnership" is supposed to be about give and take. Not Take and Take.
Remember when Bettman said it was a partnership? The players aren't race horses.
better pensions, more doctors, more free flights/tickets/hotels for family, single rooms, make whole, more tickets for games. there are more but i can't think at 9am.

i would like to ask (since every one who asks your question can't seem to do it), what can the owners actually give to the players?

the players already have the better side of every concession the owners can actually give to the players, they have the highest share of revenues, unlimited contracts, guaranteed contracts, 27 years ufa (any shorter and it starts to hurt the players), the owners tried to shorten rookie contracts (players said no, which makes sense because that is a concession but one that hurts the players big time).

Barrie22 is online now  
Old
12-22-2012, 10:14 AM
  #446
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks
 
drumzan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Let me ask you something... at this point what concession have the owners offered the players? Usually a "partnership" is supposed to be about give and take. Not Take and Take.
Remember when Bettman said it was a partnership? The players aren't race horses.
The owners have earned 43% of revenues the last 8 years. That's their concession.

drumzan is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 02:31 PM
  #447
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Let me ask you something... at this point what concession have the owners offered the players? Usually a "partnership" is supposed to be about give and take. Not Take and Take.
Remember when Bettman said it was a partnership? The players aren't race horses.
That's not how it works. If the business is in jeopardy (any business) you don't simply base your negotiating position on what happened last time. You base it on what the business needs to be survive and successful (which benefits the players as well). I'm not saying the owners are angels, I am saying the NHL is broken. They have ever increasing revenues but decreasing profit margins (only a small portion of teams are making money), that's a sign of a serious issue.

The owners are looking at the business and saying "This is what needs to happen for the business to be viable". The players seem to be saying "But it's our turn to win the negotiations, we don't care about the business, we just want to win the fight".

hockeyball is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 03:21 PM
  #448
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
better pensions, more doctors, more free flights/tickets/hotels for family, single rooms, make whole, more tickets for games. there are more but i can't think at 9am.

i would like to ask (since every one who asks your question can't seem to do it), what can the owners actually give to the players?

the players already have the better side of every concession the owners can actually give to the players, they have the highest share of revenues, unlimited contracts, guaranteed contracts, 27 years ufa (any shorter and it starts to hurt the players), the owners tried to shorten rookie contracts (players said no, which makes sense because that is a concession but one that hurts the players big time).
How about the owners honor the contracts they signed without a roll back.

WantonAbandon is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 03:22 PM
  #449
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
The owners have earned 43% of revenues the last 8 years. That's their concession.
Thats not a concession for these talks

WantonAbandon is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 03:22 PM
  #450
Stickmata
Registered User
 
Stickmata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post

The owners are looking at the business and saying "This is what needs to happen for the business to be viable". The players seem to have bought into Don Fehr's vision that "it's our turn to win the negotiations, we don't care about the business, we just want to win the fight".
Fixed that for ya. Fehr has a svengali like sway over the players, which is not surprising given who he is and the average age and education level of the players he represents. He's done a massive disservice to them and they will only come to realize this when it is far too late.

Stickmata is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.