HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lockout Thread UPD 1/6 - framework of new CBA agreed to

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Kitten Mittons

vCash: 500
Are they allowed to be sponsored by Nike? I thought Reebok owned the NHL.

Old
12-20-2012, 01:40 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Meanwhile, they take my money before the season's over and give it back well after the games have been cancelled. Your love and defense of the owners sicken's me.
With a reasonable interest rate?

Old
12-20-2012, 04:16 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Games cancelled through 1/14/13.

Old
12-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Games cancelled through 1/14/13.
And we all know what that means...any minute we'll get another article indicating Crosby is considering his options overseas..."I'll do it, I'll go to Switzerland...I mean it this time!" Or that owners not wanting to just throw money at him is 'nonsense' that 'makes no sense'.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:31 PM
bob330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
With a reasonable interest rate?
No. This time around (unlike in 2004), the Sharks are not paying interest on the money they've been holding as far back as July. It's a bit rude.

Old
12-20-2012, 06:11 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob330i View Post
No. This time around (unlike in 2004), the Sharks are not paying interest on the money they've been holding as far back as July. It's a bit rude.
But it is in the terms and conditions you agreed to when you put your deposit in and reserved your season tickets. The T&Cs on season tickets do suck, but they're not a secret.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Are they allowed to be sponsored by Nike? I thought Reebok owned the NHL.
Players can be sponsored by any sports company out there. The only thing reebok sponsors is the jerseys. Players wear nike, and plenty other skates, sticks.

Old
12-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
Players can be sponsored by any sports company out there. The only thing reebok sponsors is the jerseys. Players wear nike, and plenty other skates, sticks.
RG3 got fined for wearing Adidas because NFL is sponsored by Nike. Although he was at a press-conference that time.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:09 PM
Eighth Fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
RG3 got fined for wearing Adidas because NFL is sponsored by Nike. Although he was at a press-conference that time.
I think it was because it was at a league press conference. Peyton Manning is sponsored by Reebok and is in a few Reebok commercials, but he wears official NFL gear in the locker room and at NFL events.

Old
12-21-2012, 05:55 PM
hockeyball

This whole thing is absolutely insane. I can only assume the players are stuck in some kind of collective group think that has them patting each other on the backs and convincing themselves they deserve more than the league can afford. How they can possibly think what they are asking for is 'good for hockey' just boggles my mind.

Also, all you folks on the players side I hope you realize any 'raise' they receive is not coming out of the owners pockets, it is coming out of your pockets (the fans).

Old
12-21-2012, 06:00 PM
rideaucrusher21

Assuming the season is canceled, how is the 2013 draft order determined? Do we know? Random? Would be AWESOME to get Mackinnon (sp?) or Jones.

Old
12-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Arrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideaucrusher21 View Post
Assuming the season is canceled, how is the 2013 draft order determined? Do we know? Random? Would be AWESOME to get Mackinnon (sp?) or Jones.
I think it depends on what the new CBA (if one is in place) says. If there isn't one, I'd imagine they would use the same model for the last lockout.

Old
12-21-2012, 06:47 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
This whole thing is absolutely insane. I can only assume the players are stuck in some kind of collective group think that has them patting each other on the backs and convincing themselves they deserve more than the league can afford. How they can possibly think what they are asking for is 'good for hockey' just boggles my mind.

Also, all you folks on the players side I hope you realize any 'raise' they receive is not coming out of the owners pockets, it is coming out of your pockets (the fans).
At least then I could be the one to decide whether I want to pay it or not. Not a compelling argument IMO.

I'm not wholly on either side of the argument. I am fed up with people who think they know everything and the players should just bend over backwards and take it.... whatever "it" might be.

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Old
12-21-2012, 09:20 PM
Kitten Mittons

Cancel the season please.

Old
12-22-2012, 01:32 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Yeah, at this point just cancel the season and up our chances of getting a high pick.

Old
12-22-2012, 01:54 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
At least then I could be the one to decide whether I want to pay it or not. Not a compelling argument IMO.

I'm not wholly on either side of the argument. I am fed up with people who think they know everything and the players should just bend over backwards and take it.... whatever "it" might be.
That's an assumption in itself. I don't think I know everything, but you don't have a constructive debate when one side is saying "but I could be wrong" the entire time. You gather as much evidence as is available, pick your side, and present it with confidence. Just because you are not always right does not mean you shouldn't have an opinion either.

Also I never implied the players should bend over and take anything. I believe more than fair offers have been presented when looked at with the condition of the league in mind. I honestly don't believe the players will get better than they have already been offered and anything from this point forward is simply a waste of everyone time and money.

Old
12-22-2012, 02:43 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
That's an assumption in itself. I don't think I know everything, but you don't have a constructive debate when one side is saying "but I could be wrong" the entire time. You gather as much evidence as is available, pick your side, and present it with confidence. Just because you are not always right does not mean you shouldn't have an opinion either.

Also I never implied the players should bend over and take anything. I believe more than fair offers have been presented when looked at with the condition of the league in mind. I honestly don't believe the players will get better than they have already been offered and anything from this point forward is simply a waste of everyone time and money.
I think they're both to blame. That is a reasonable position IMO. So, no, I don't have to take a side.

And I said I was fed up with "people", not "you and others". I even separated it into another paragraph. Sorry I wasn't more clear. Just using the post as an excuse to vent on some peoples posts that I've been to lazy to respond to in the past. Especially those who think that because the owners write the checks that the players should accept anything they're offered and be greatful they're not flipping burgers.

Old
12-22-2012, 03:35 AM
Phu

Quote:
Especially those who think that because the owners write the checks that the players should accept anything they're offered and be greatful they're not flipping burgers.

Old
12-22-2012, 04:15 AM
WantonAbandon

Quote:

Let me ask you something... at this point what concession have the owners offered the players? Usually a "partnership" is supposed to be about give and take. Not Take and Take.
Remember when Bettman said it was a partnership? The players aren't race horses.

Old
12-22-2012, 09:46 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Let me ask you something... at this point what concession have the owners offered the players? Usually a "partnership" is supposed to be about give and take. Not Take and Take.
Remember when Bettman said it was a partnership? The players aren't race horses.
better pensions, more doctors, more free flights/tickets/hotels for family, single rooms, make whole, more tickets for games. there are more but i can't think at 9am.

i would like to ask (since every one who asks your question can't seem to do it), what can the owners actually give to the players?

the players already have the better side of every concession the owners can actually give to the players, they have the highest share of revenues, unlimited contracts, guaranteed contracts, 27 years ufa (any shorter and it starts to hurt the players), the owners tried to shorten rookie contracts (players said no, which makes sense because that is a concession but one that hurts the players big time).

Old
12-22-2012, 10:14 AM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

Quote:
The owners have earned 43% of revenues the last 8 years. That's their concession.

Old
12-22-2012, 02:31 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
That's not how it works. If the business is in jeopardy (any business) you don't simply base your negotiating position on what happened last time. You base it on what the business needs to be survive and successful (which benefits the players as well). I'm not saying the owners are angels, I am saying the NHL is broken. They have ever increasing revenues but decreasing profit margins (only a small portion of teams are making money), that's a sign of a serious issue.

The owners are looking at the business and saying "This is what needs to happen for the business to be viable". The players seem to be saying "But it's our turn to win the negotiations, we don't care about the business, we just want to win the fight".

Old
12-22-2012, 03:21 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
better pensions, more doctors, more free flights/tickets/hotels for family, single rooms, make whole, more tickets for games. there are more but i can't think at 9am.

i would like to ask (since every one who asks your question can't seem to do it), what can the owners actually give to the players?

the players already have the better side of every concession the owners can actually give to the players, they have the highest share of revenues, unlimited contracts, guaranteed contracts, 27 years ufa (any shorter and it starts to hurt the players), the owners tried to shorten rookie contracts (players said no, which makes sense because that is a concession but one that hurts the players big time).
How about the owners honor the contracts they signed without a roll back.

Old
12-22-2012, 03:22 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
The owners have earned 43% of revenues the last 8 years. That's their concession.
Thats not a concession for these talks

Old
12-22-2012, 03:22 PM
Stickmata

Quote:

The owners are looking at the business and saying "This is what needs to happen for the business to be viable". The players seem to have bought into Don Fehr's vision that "it's our turn to win the negotiations, we don't care about the business, we just want to win the fight".
Fixed that for ya. Fehr has a svengali like sway over the players, which is not surprising given who he is and the average age and education level of the players he represents. He's done a massive disservice to them and they will only come to realize this when it is far too late.

Closed Thread