HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2012, 09:20 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Fit not necessarily comfort as it depends on a person's foot. Please read the guide.

Like Wilch said...no that's incorrect. Different fits

That's Bauer's marketing department talking and I must say, it's very effective. I think they've since changed their tune more in the fit stories.

To be honest, with that attitude, if you actually read the guide we wouldn't be here talking about this...
It doesn't make you a better player, like I already said it's up to personal preference. Some just have a better feel than others do. You contradict yourself when you say "I wouldn't buy cheaper of the line skates" yet say "it's all about the fit".

Didn't even mention online deals from what i've seen, as I just found a pair of nice skates for 30 bucks off and free shipping online. Brand spanking new.

I've personally worn skates that have a better fit for my style of play and skates that don't. I'm a quick foot guy, the material and comfort plays a factor. It doesn't MAKE you any better, it just allows you to be more comfortable in your playing style.

Didn't mean to be rude but just saying "Read the Guide" doesn't really help. It's a good guide but you didn't answer my question in the OP about a cheap skate to purchase that was higher end, or if that's even worth doing.

Last edited by I Am Score*: 12-20-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old
12-20-2012, 10:22 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
It doesn't make you a better player, like I already said it's up to personal preference. Some just have a better feel than others do. You contradict yourself when you say "I wouldn't buy cheaper of the line skates" yet say "it's all about the fit".

Didn't even mention online deals from what i've seen, as I just found a pair of nice skates for 30 bucks off and free shipping online. Brand spanking new.

I've personally worn skates that have a better fit for my style of play and skates that don't. I'm a quick foot guy, the material and comfort plays a factor. It doesn't MAKE you any better, it just allows you to be more comfortable in your playing style.

Didn't mean to be rude but just saying "Read the Guide" doesn't really help. It's a good guide but you didn't answer my question in the OP about a cheap skate to purchase that was higher end, or if that's even worth doing.
You don't understand, do you? Read the guide and go over the rest of the thread and you'll see the relationship between fit and skate level.

If you did so, you wouldn't be here claiming that you know Vapors are for 'faster' players or Supremes are for players with 'bigger strides'.

I really don't care what you think you know about skates or skating, and not saying that I know everything because I most certainly do not, but I don't want people to be misinformed about things they're spending a big chunk of money and time on.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:36 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
You don't understand, do you? Read the guide and go over the rest of the thread and you'll see the relationship between fit and skate level.

If you did so, you wouldn't be here claiming that you know Vapors are for 'faster' players or Supremes are for players with 'bigger strides'.

I really don't care what you think you know about skates or skating, and not saying that I know everything because I most certainly do not, but I don't want people to be misinformed about things they're spending a big chunk of money and time on.
Because i'm going to read pages and pages of information? Never said they made you a better skater, I said players with different styles and comfort choose the gear that is best for them.

Overall the best skates are the ones that you feel most comfortable in. They are also the brand you like the most. Some players may like Vapor 3.0 or 4.0 instead of the higher end models, yet you seem to shun them away. If they like older models and they are easier on the wallet, why change their mind?

Hell, some Advance players use 3.0 and have no problem with them. To say "Well these skates are never recommended" doesn't make alot of sense.

Relax

Last edited by I Am Score*: 12-20-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old
12-21-2012, 04:52 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Brad this is a simple misunderstanding. "FIT", what AIREAYE describes, is not about preference or skating styles, but most importantly the anatomy of our feet and how different skates are made for certain types of feet.

For example I tried a 6ee Supreme and had some heel slip, but the 6d was way too tight overall. Now the Vapor 6ee was perfect for my foot, wider in the forefoot yet a narrow v shaped heel. You've got to find out what type of foot you've got and what brand best fits. There are major differences between brands and lines.

Old
12-21-2012, 07:47 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
Did also say I wouldn't bother with skates in some price ranges.

Not going to argue with you guys, too late at night for this.
There is no argument.

AIREYE simply voiced his recommendation, he's not forcing it on anyone.

I personally vouch for that recommendation because if you're looking to play hockey, buying cheap skates could be more costly in the long term - be it with injuries from lack of protection or replacement cost due to low durability.

Old
12-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Fit has nothing to do with price. Fit is the shape of the boot, the heel pocket, the depth of the skate. The softness of the boot is not fit, nor is the weight.

The NUMBER ONE thing by far is to get a boot that fits your foot. You need the heel locked into place, the forefoot to be snug without movement, and the right amount of depth and arch support.

When it comes to price, I agree with him, I don't think it's worth spending less than $150-200 on a pair of skates. It's not about comfort, it's about durability. They just don't last and aren't made to last.

Anyone who's playing once a week needs at least a $150 boot. I know because I had the $80 boot and it completely fell apart after two months. Waste of money. The outsole was made of flimsy rubber and warped any time I tried to use my edge, the boot itself collapsed under my weight, and the cheap steel couldn't hold an edge.

I asked AIR to write his guide because he's very knowledgeable in this area and his recommendations and observations are right up there with the best I've seen on the internet. These guides are for people who play in leagues or regular pickup games...not for people who are looking to go skating on a date once or twice.

Anyone else ought to at least get a used skate at a mid-quality level. I've bought used skates in decent shape for $30 that were $250 new.

I'd make the same recommendation to anyone learning to play a musical instrument. Don't get some toy from Walmart, get a real instrument. If you want to play guitar, you need something that can stay in tune, has proper intonation and has even frets. If you want to play piano, you need something that is in tune with weighted keys. Can't afford new, get used in good shape.

Old
12-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Hacker10

Annoyed

Over a year in my Bauer One70's, and I'm annoyed with them. Initially they fit great, but now I notice that my feet hurt after every game(mostly right at the widest point of my foot, and along the outer edge of the foot), and halfway through a game it seems like my heels are no longer locked in as they should be.

Going to go and try a few more brands on and see if I can find something better. I mentioned in the Graf thread that my pair of 705's fit great, but aren't stiff enough for me.

I'm thankful for Play-It-Again Sports and being able to trade gear in.

Last edited by Hacker10: 12-22-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old
12-22-2012, 11:37 AM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker10 View Post
Over a year in my Bauer One70's, and I'm annoyed with them. Initially they fit great, but now I notice that my feet hurt after every game(mostly right at the widest point of my foot, and along the outer edge of the foot), and halfway through a game it seems like my heels are no longer locked in as they should be.

Going to go and try a few more brands on and see if I can find something better. I mentioned in the Graf thread that the pair of 705's fit great, but aren't stiff enough for me.

I'm thankful for Play-It-Again Sports and being able to trade gear in.
if you were happy with the fit of 705's, did you ever consider stepping up to the G5's? they have a stiffer composite frame while also being a touch lighter.

Old
12-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Hacker10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
if you were happy with the fit of 705's, did you ever consider stepping up to the G5's? they have a stiffer composite frame while also being a touch lighter.
I have considered the G5's, so I'll be adding those to the list to try on. The only thing with those is I think that the G5's are a lower cut? I'm not sure if that would work for me, I need all the support I can get.

Old
12-22-2012, 01:57 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker10 View Post
I have considered the G5's, so I'll be adding those to the list to try on. The only thing with those is I think that the G5's are a lower cut? I'm not sure if that would work for me, I need all the support I can get.
Yes, like the 705's, they are a lower cut boot.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:54 PM
octopi

Reccomend me a new skate. I've used CCM super tacks since age 16.

I'd like to try a lighter skate this time. I've finally recovered from an arch injury and can walk fairly well. I have a bit of scoliosis, making my hips and gait a bit uneven(but not noticably ). Doesn't much affect walking or running but does affect skating. Also my thighs are chubbier than they should be. I can easily wear used as I fit a size 7 men's. I'd like to keep it fairly inexpensive, but willing to shell out for the right skate. Or should I just try to get my old boot rebladed?

Old
12-23-2012, 11:17 PM
AIREAYE

These newer boots will be much more supportive if you get a decent pair. Coming from Tacks you say? I would start by trying on the Nexus boots, definitely give Supreme a whirl as well. Don't rule out CCM either!

Old
12-25-2012, 11:53 PM
nickerjones

Send a message via AIM to nickerjones Send a message via Yahoo to nickerjones
I have had Bauer One70's for about 2 years now. I am in 8.0 EE skates. They have been great for the most part but the liner is ripping inside and they are becoming less comfy. The main problem is the toe caps. I am diabetic so I am concerned with/dont like things hurting my toes. The skates are really tight and hurt my big toes on both feet. I even wear a gel toe cap to relieve some of the pain and pressure but while it staves off the pain , it also makes the skate tighter and more uncomfortable on my toes.

I am under the impression that Nexus skates would be a bit wider, is this true?

I have been happy with the one70s. I paid something like 250 for them 2 yrs ago and since I am a bigger ( fat ) guy I know my skates will break down quicker and Ill have to buy skates more often than others. If the Nexus statement is true.. what would be the equal ? Nexus 600? Any other skate I should try? Maybe Grafs?

Old
12-26-2012, 04:50 PM
AIREAYE

While I can't comment on Grafs, the Nexus will have a wider toecap as I mentioned in the guide. The rest of the boot feels very different compared to Supreme though, so you'll have to deal with that bit. From a One70, the 600 would be roughly in that area, though with a softer Nexus boot, see if you can target the 800 for stiffness.

Old
12-26-2012, 06:00 PM
AIREAYE

Double stitched boots? That's a possible and somewhat common feature to include in a pair of custom skates. I have never heard of anyone attempting to do it to a pair of ice boots.

Old
12-26-2012, 08:25 PM
3koma

Would like to know how wider between Bauer nexus and vapor, supreme?

Old
12-26-2012, 10:13 PM
AIREAYE

In D widths from narrowest to widest : Vapor, Supreme, Nexus

Supreme and Nexus will feel wider and narrower at different spots compared to each other and that depends on your foot shape, though the Nexus D is built on a EE last. While Supreme D is built on an E last.

Old
12-27-2012, 07:51 PM
AIREAYE

Oh yeah, I've heard good things about his shop too. If you hear of anybody doing it, post it on here! I'm curious.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:52 PM
SacredPetra

Alright, total noob question here so bear with me.

I'm just getting in to ice hockey so I picked up some skates (rental footwear bothers me), but I'm waffling between two pairs, and wanted to get y'all's advice.

One is a pair of Easton Synergy EQ1s which I've read are an entry level kind of skate. They're in really good shape (used a couple of times at most), fit well, and decently priced

The other is a pair of CCM Tacks (I don't know clue which model, I'm going off what it said on the boot), that fit the same or slightly better than the Eastons, and were priced quite low, but were in very used shape The boot was in decent shape, but the blade (runner?) was ground down almost to the holder at the toe and heel. A quick phone search didn't pull up any replacement blades for these (unless I was searching the wrong thing), so I got the Eastons, but I'm wondering if I should have gone with the CCMs. I don't know, thoughts?

Old
12-27-2012, 09:16 PM
AIREAYE

I would avoid the CCMs for that reason of the ground down steel, it will be hard to adjust to steel at stock height after learning your way through those. That and with a tight enough turn/bend, you'll be slipping out due to the holder touching.

I would actually spend the money on a better pair of skates. EQ1s are more for a rec skater level as opposed to playing hockey. In that line, I would look at perhaps an EQ3 or the EQ30; both of which should be on clearance at most places. What other skates have you tried?

Old
12-27-2012, 09:42 PM
SacredPetra

I tried on about 10 different pairs of various models of Bauers and wasn't sold on any of them. I'm used to skates fitting tightly, but they all felt uncomfortably narrow around the ball of my foot. I also tried on a pair of Missions Ladies skates, but they were at least 1 whole size too big, so I can't say whether I would have liked them or not.

Last edited by SacredPetra: 12-27-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old
12-27-2012, 10:00 PM
AIREAYE

In any case, I would look at skates at least one or two levels above the very bottom model for most hockey players. Skates like the X3.0, One40, U+04 etc. would be the least.

You've tried on many Bauers you say? How about Reebok or CCM? If you liked Tacks, you might like the current CCM offerings, as well as Bauer's new Nexus line.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:29 PM
SacredPetra

I'll look in to those. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:31 PM
TieClark

Quote:
I would avoid the CCMs for that reason of the ground down steel, it will be hard to adjust to steel at stock height after learning your way through those. That and with a tight enough turn/bend, you'll be slipping out due to the holder touching.

I would actually spend the money on a better pair of skates. EQ1s are more for a rec skater level as opposed to playing hockey. In that line, I would look at perhaps an EQ3 or the EQ30; both of which should be on clearance at most places. What other skates have you tried?
And this is why I just bought a new pair last month. It's pretty brutal if you're blades are that low

Old
12-30-2012, 01:19 PM
Gomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomer View Post
Soooooo... I went back on tried on a Supreme. By the time it was all said and done, I wound up in a 5.5D ONE.9. It felt pretty good. Close to the front of the boot but not tight at all. One of my heels was a little loose but as far as my experience goes, was on par or a little better than everything else I've worn. If anything they were a little tighter in the ankle then I like (pinching the Achilles a bit). I expect that if I buy them, that will settle down a bit.

So where I stand today... they are ordering a Vapor in a 5.5EE for me. I couldn't see dropping 4 bills on a new pair of skates without exploring my options. Though the Supremes felt pretty good.

My concern is:
1.The differences in the Vapors and Supremes. As I understand it the Vapor is more "aggressive" while the Supreme is more back on the heels. I've only been skating 3 years but I'm good enough that that surprises most people. But I have no idea what that means. As I understand it, the S12s I had were aggressive as well. Is it easy to adapt from one to the other. Again, I don't like the idea of a $400 experiment.

2. Is a junior Supreme the same quality/durability as a senior Supreme?

3. I can afford a jr ONE.9, but if I were in a sr, I'd only be buying the ONE.7. The jr ONE.7 is half as much as the jr ONE.9. Am I really getting 2X as much skate?
Me again. After sitting on the Vapors in a 5.5EE for a while and trying to convince myself I could somehow stretch the toe box (heat gun, expander, clamps, etc.) I talked some sense into myself and took them back.

Tried on the CCM U+ CL series and felt really good. Will probably pull the trigger on a pair of 12's.

One of the things I don't understand about skates is stiffness. As I understand it, rigidity helps with power transfer... and a skate that is broken down flexes too much and you lose that.

But then I hear that skates might be too stiff. And as you move up the line of skates, they get stiffer. So flex can mean a skate is breaking down... but apparently you need some flex in them. What's the difference between good flex and bad?

The Easton S12's I had had a really rigid quarter package. That never really bothered me... and ultimately it was the places they had built into the boot to let it give a little is where it failed. I didn't notice them getting less stiff, just more uncomfortable as I had to bind the laces down to get my foot to stay put in them.

So yeah... tell me about stiffness.

TIA.

Closed Thread