HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Finland

Old
12-22-2012, 10:46 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heksagon View Post
I really like the fact that this team just seems to know how to score. So un-Finnish, and I love it! Hopefully they can keep it up in the important games.
Yeah, though it was just a preseason it left me very excited.

I liked our fourth line especially, kept their legs moving, made solid plays.

D has looked solid. One more year of experience compared to last year and it seems to show up.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 11:06 AM
LSnow

It just seems so weird that we have an actually skilled junior, who is out playing the next Crosby. Its also sad he will likely bust, just like every other Finnish prospect. Well, at least KHL will have some new skilled stars when Granlund x2, Armia, Barkov join it couple years forward.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 11:10 AM
llwyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
It just seems so weird that we have an actually skilled junior, who is out playing the next Crosby. Its also sad he will likely bust, just like every other Finnish prospect. Well, at least KHL will have some new skilled stars when Granlund x2, Armia, Barkov join it couple years forward.
What? Why should you think like this? (Apart from being a typical Finn and being hypernegative about, well, everything...)

llwyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 11:11 AM
InjuredChoker

http://www.urheilulehti.fi/jaakiekko...ttaa-mm-kultaa

The man/magazine that is never afraid of to shove their opinions as facts based on ridiculously small sample size .

But couple of good points.

Quote:

You forgot teh

Old
12-22-2012, 11:15 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwyd View Post
What? Why should you think like this? (Apart from being a typical Finn and being hypernegative about, well, everything...)
I think he's kidding.

MacKinnon is obviously not the next Crosby.

Old
12-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Is this missing a smiley?

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 11:24 AM
llwyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
I think he's kidding.
Well, that's the difficulty with typical Finnish fan mentality - it's really hard to parody it credibly because even the most absurd opinions could be real... Not even a smiley there, now that's hadcore sarcasm.

llwyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 11:27 AM
LSnow

Half joking, another half is this feeling that somehow they are going to struggle at the start of their NHL careers and start focusing their time on being defensively responsible, system orientated players and top out as useful third liners similar to Bergenheim, Filppula, Korpikoski and never becoming a dynamic offensive players, while giving flashes of "what could have been".

I WANT the next Selänne !!

Old
12-22-2012, 11:32 AM
Gaps

Thinking that way isn't going to make them bust any more or less and it's much nicer to have some optimism (which in this case it would actually be called realism), so why not try to have some? Besides, you're seriously underestimating V. Filppula if you put him into the same category with Bergenheim.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 11:34 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
I`ve heard danish are known for "gallows humor" ,but i never knew that finnish are the same

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 11:35 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Half joking, another half is this feeling that somehow they are going to struggle at the start of their NHL careers and start focusing their time on being defensively responsible, system orientated players and top out as useful third liners similar to Bergenheim, Filppula, Korpikoski and never becoming a dynamic offensive players, while giving flashes of "what could have been".

Flip was legit top6er last year, close to 1st line material.. until the playoffs started..

Old
12-22-2012, 11:41 AM
LSnow

Quote:
Flip was legit top6er last year, close to 1st line material.. until the playoffs started..
Yes he did, and that was one strong flash. It also took him a lot of years of dedication to wings system, and hard work so he could get a chance of showing his skills in top 6.

Old
12-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Loffer

vCash: 954
Quote:

There's no reason to be that pessimist.

1) Armia will definitely be your next Selänne. The kid has found wheels and will clearly be 1st line sniper in the NHL.

2) Mikael Granlund can be decent NHLer if stays healthy. Nothing spectacular but pretty good 2nc line center is his upside.

3) Barkov cannot fail given his mature game, size and smarts plus competitiveness. Add one gear and he is more than NHL ready. 1st or 2nd line center.

Only Markus Granlund seems an unlikely case. He just does not look good enough - and doesn't have size or wheels to play bottom 6 either-.

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 11:57 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Yes he did, and that was one strong flash. It also took him a lot of years of dedication to wings system, and hard work so he could get a chance of showing his skills in top 6.
It did.

But he was a late third round pick. And being arguably on of the best of whom got picked at 3rd round or later; Wisniewski and Wideman make a good case though. He delivered much more than expected and he's just reached he's prime.

Old
12-22-2012, 12:08 PM
LSnow

Quote:
It did.

But he was a late third round pick. And being arguably on of the best of whom got picked at 3rd round or later; Wisniewski and Wideman make a good case though. He delivered much more than expected and he's just reached he's prime.
But how much does it effect the evolution of players game if Barkov for example gets placed in a similar position as Filppula, or get the opportunity to shine like Leino.

Old
12-22-2012, 12:23 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
But how much does it effect the evolution of players game if Barkov for example gets placed in a similar position as Filppula, or get the opportunity to shine like Leino.
Barkov, likely a top 5 pick, certainly won't be in similar position to Filppula. He's probably going to get he's first chance as soon as next year. Flip and Leino were both late-boomers. Leino hit NHL at 26, Flip at 22-23. Barkov is likely playing regularly before he turns 20.

Barkov may be put out in similar position as Flip, depending on which organization drafts him (dear god let it be the exact same one ) but he's so far ahead of development curve compared to Flip. Heck, compared to 99% percent of the players. I think it would be good for Barkov start at third line in NHL next year. He's up to the challenge. Maybe even give 'Seguin' treatment, because he's going to be playing so much more at NA, with all the travelling etc.

If all this kids bust, then we have serious issues here. But we haven't have group of this talent for years and I'm at least very excited what they can do.

Old
12-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
I went to watch the games live with another HF member. Nykopp really caught my eye, he was feisty, physical and gritty but not dirty. Playing the perfect bottom-6 game. I think they should try him on Salomäki's spot and see how he does. Salomäki is a good player to have though. Yes, he takes some stupid penalties but we simply need the ratty, physical and sometimes over-the top guy who is willing to punish the opponent. It's simple, really. Leino was surprisingly good today. I thought Barkov looked a little tense (maybe trying too much?) on the first, but he picked up his game beautifully afterwards. Granlund missed a prime scoring chance but he made it up by scoring a nice goal. Armia, to me, isn't 1st line material. On top of that brutal miss, he also had a good scoring chance but decided to go for a deke that was destined to fail on this level. He really needs to make simpler plays and use his shot more often. Teräväinen, well, he had a goal but he also looked like he was trying to do too much out there. Simpler plays, please.

In D, I liked what I saw from Määttä and Ristolainen had a decent game, too. Cutting Lindell was the right choice, he wasn't bad but he just wasn't good enough either.

Our goaltending looks promising and really solid. Nothing to complain about.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 12:26 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

If a player can't make it in the NHL, but plays very good in international tournaments then I could care less of course it would be nice to see them make it but it's not the end of the world

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 12:42 PM
agent082

Quote:
Barkov, likely a top 5 pick, certainly won't be in similar position to Filppula. He's probably going to get he's first chance as soon as next year. Flip and Leino were both late-boomers. Leino hit NHL at 26, Flip at 22-23. Barkov is likely playing regularly before he turns 20.
True. Top picks get lot of chances to show their talent, Tuomo Ruutu for example and he was only 9th pick. It's different to late bloomers. They really have to be good to get their opportunity.

agent082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 12:59 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

You know what makes me feel especially giddy about this team?

It's easy to smack these results down a bit by saying that it was just pre-tournament action and both Canada and USA weren't at their best, after travel, jetlag, getting used to the big rink and whatnot. And I agree, they've still got plenty of room to improve.

But here's the thing. Same holds true for Finland. They, likewise, were still far from playing their top shelf hockey. And yet, they were this wicked good already. If they can truly hit their highest staccato, it's hard to find other team that could stop 'em.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 01:07 PM
FlutteringSaucer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
There's no reason to be that pessimist.

1) Armia will definitely be your next Selänne. The kid has found wheels and will clearly be 1st line sniper in the NHL.

2) Mikael Granlund can be decent NHLer if stays healthy. Nothing spectacular but pretty good 2nc line center is his upside.

3) Barkov cannot fail given his mature game, size and smarts plus competitiveness. Add one gear and he is more than NHL ready. 1st or 2nd line center.

Only Markus Granlund seems an unlikely case. He just does not look good enough - and doesn't have size or wheels to play bottom 6 either-.
Why the hell are you comparing MaG to Armia, MiG and Barkov???? I'm getting tired to this MaG downplaying. He's not the level of prospect as the three and has never been and everyone knows it, but he's still a pretty good prospect.

FlutteringSaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Loffer

vCash: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPena View Post
Why the hell are you comparing MaG to Armia, MiG and Barkov???? I'm getting tired to this MaG downplaying. He's not the level of prospect as the three and has never been and everyone knows it, but he's still a pretty good prospect.
I don't compare him to anybody. Other poster just mentioned all four as examples.

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 01:43 PM
TZM
Par too easy

Solid game from every player against Team USA.

Short notices from todays game:

- First line's PP was off. Wouldn't worry yet tho.

- Defensemen gave too much space 1 on 1. Otherwise D was great. It's so weird to see Finnish defensemen who can actually carry the puck and make tape to tape first passes.

- The bottom lines did their duty well. I'm not yet convinced that Teräväinen should play in the 3rd line. I think he'd be more of use with Barkov and Lehkonen.

- Korpisalo is our no. 1 goalie for the tournament.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZM View Post
Solid game from every player against Team USA.

Short notices from todays game:

- First line's PP was off. Wouldn't worry yet tho.

- Defensemen gave too much space 1 on 1. Otherwise D was great. It's so weird to see Finnish defensemen who can actually carry the puck and make tape to tape first passes.

- The bottom lines did their duty well. I'm not yet convinced that Teräväinen should play in the 3rd line. I think he'd be more of use with Barkov and Lehkonen.

- Korpisalo is our no. 1 goalie for the tournament.
Agreed with all of these. Would like to mention the passing also, I think the accurate tape-to-tape passes and good team play really made a major difference today.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 02:14 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Finland looks real good in exhibition play. I know it's just exhibition but still, many of us don't give enough credit to them. Will be interesting to see how they do when the round robin starts.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote