HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Finland

Old
12-22-2012, 02:32 PM
QnebO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Loved Robert Leino. He blocked shots in PK, competed really hard and sniped the first goal. Smart and extremely useful player.
I agree. Where did that guy pop from? Never heard about him, didin't see him in the big league.. then just BOOOM! Hes really good, at least judging by this one game.. But of course, it is just one game.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 02:38 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
I agree. Where did that guy pop from?
It's the same work he's been doing all season long in HPK. Hardly makes any headlines, but been an important part of Kerho doing better than most predicted.

I'm not saying he'll be our next Jere Lehtinen, but definitely has all the makings to be a new Mika Pyörälä.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 04:04 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Are you guys really THAT good?!?!?!

Look good so far.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 04:11 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
This year? Yes, we are. Seriously, they weren't even playing to the top of their potential. Still room to improve.

Of course, it's a whole another story if they can hit that high note, but if they do... well, who knows what we're going to see.

Old
12-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
This year? Yes, we are. Seriously, they weren't even playing to the top of their potential. Still room to improve.

Of course, it's a whole another story if they can hit that high note, but if they do... well, who knows what we're going to see.
This year's team already looks better than last year's did by the end of the tournament. It's impossible to say how much better this team will be, but I think we have a nice balance of talent, good game plan and team work. The coaching's obviously much better this time around, they react to what happens on the ice and so far have made the right choices. Even if we end up placing 4th or 5th, I'd still rather see them lose with an attitude like this than the one they had last year.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman

vCash: 50
How does little Granlund look to you guys? I might have the homer glasses on but he looks much better in the middle than on the wing

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 05:03 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
How does little Granlund look to you guys? I might have the homer glasses on but he looks much better in the middle than on the wing
He was really good v Canada, and was good today hopefully he can keep form into the tournament

Shame he hasn't played like that for HIFK in the season so far

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 05:07 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk92 View Post
Players thrive in different environments. One can put up lackluster showings in a club team but really tear it up in the NT. And vice versa.

In fact, it was very likely the reason Ikonen got booted. He was doing fine in Blues, but couldn't do what he was supposed to do with the Young Lions.

Old
12-22-2012, 05:11 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Gotta say, I'm loving Artturi Lehkonen. Really talented kid and plays much bigger than his size. Not at all afraid to stand in front of the net, and he also had a really nice hit that took down Trouba. He, Barkov, and Teravainen could challenge for best line in the tournament, IMHO.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 12:13 AM
Leehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Gotta say, I'm loving Artturi Lehkonen. Really talented kid and plays much bigger than his size. Not at all afraid to stand in front of the net, and he also had a really nice hit that took down Trouba. He, Barkov, and Teravainen could challenge for best line in the tournament, IMHO.
I think that Lehkonen - Aaltonen - Barkov // Ristolainen - Teravainen will be the most dominant PP unit what we have seen in U20 wc for past few years. It was like ten times better than Granlunds one which barely got the puck in offensive zone, it was better than RNH's one, there's so much puck skills out there it looks like an art.

Leehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 01:00 AM
Finnpin

didnt see the exhibition games but how did the 4th line of jokerit workhorses looked like. you better keep your head up when lamberg is on the ice. fearless hitter, fearless.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 01:22 AM
ready2rumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
didnt see the exhibition games but how did the 4th line of jokerit workhorses looked like. you better keep your head up when lamberg is on the ice. fearless hitter, fearless.
Lamberg or Salminen didn't play in either of the games. The 4th line against USA was Hännikäinen - Leino - Nykopp if I recall correctly and they scored the opener. I don't remember the 4th against Canada but there neither Hännikäinen, Lamberg or Salminen played. Leino gave a good impression on the USA game, scoring, throwing himself in front of the puck in PK etc. I think the fourth might be Hännikäinen-Leino-Lamberg and Salminen'll be the odd man out.

ready2rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 01:54 AM
hirawl
Used Register

vCash: 400
Hannikainen's skating is just akward. Slow too.

hirawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 03:31 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZM View Post
It's so weird to see Finnish defensemen who can actually carry the puck and make tape to tape first passes.
NOT TO ME!

As a Western Canadian I grew up watching Jyrki Lumme in Vancouver and Teppo Numminen in Winnipeg! ... I thought that's what Finn defensemen do best.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 03:35 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
NOT TO ME!

As a Western Canadian I grew up watching Jyrki Lumme in Vancouver and Teppo Numminen in Winnipeg! ... I thought that's what Finn defensemen do best.
Thats what the good old Dmans did.. And Timonen and Salo and Nummelin at least.

Since those days, we've only had Pitkänen whos really good. Good to see that we now might get a new wave of solid non-midged Dman.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 04:05 AM
Muuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post

Look good so far.
Things are looking way too good. Something will go wrong soon.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 04:07 AM
BalticWarrior

Really looking forward to see Armia,i hear hes been great last exhibition games.

BalticWarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 04:08 AM
deakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post
I think that Lehkonen - Aaltonen - Barkov // Ristolainen - Teravainen will be the most dominant PP unit what we have seen in U20 wc for past few years. It was like ten times better than Granlunds one which barely got the puck in offensive zone, it was better than RNH's one, there's so much puck skills out there it looks like an art.
Guess Maattaa is of the PP then. Shame, i thought he looked pretty poised on it during the game against Canada

deakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 04:28 AM
Hirmu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2rumble View Post
Lamberg or Salminen didn't play in either of the games. The 4th line against USA was Hännikäinen - Leino - Nykopp if I recall correctly and they scored the opener. I don't remember the 4th against Canada but there neither Hännikäinen, Lamberg or Salminen played. Leino gave a good impression on the USA game, scoring, throwing himself in front of the puck in PK etc. I think the fourth might be Hännikäinen-Leino-Lamberg and Salminen'll be the odd man out.
Salminen played against Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
Guess Maattaa is of the PP then. Shame, i thought he looked pretty poised on it during the game against Canada
Määttä is in our 1st powerplay unit with Järveläinen or Pokka. Salomäki - Granlund - Armia // Määttä - Järveläinen

Hirmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 04:43 AM
Ville231

Quote:
They havent played together yet. Salminen & Lamberg played against Canada, and they were really good in that game. Hännikäinen was the only one of them who played against US, and he was ok. I guess we have to wait until 26th to see how they bomb the ***** out of Latvians

Ville231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 04:59 AM
bebl

Quote:
Salminen and Lamberg played like they should but Hannikainen was disappointment. Imo our weakest forward.

bebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 05:03 AM
bebl

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk92 View Post
If he plays good tourney, Soppa might understand that he deserves slot to first pp unit.

bebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 07:25 AM
edd1e

What are the lines going to look like?

First line is a given:

Salomäki - Granlund - Armia

First pair:

Määttä - Ristolainen

Second line, i hope is:

Teräväinen - Barkov - Lehkonen

Second pair:

Pokka - Lindbohm

Third line is a bit more tricky:

Aaltonen - Leino - Järveläinen

Third pair also a bit tricky:

Riikola - Vainio

Fourth line:

Lamberg - Salminen - Nykopp

7th D is Auvinen and 13th forward is Hännikäinen

I think even Auvinen could take first pair role in a weaker year quite easily.

I think this team getting Gold is not that big of a reach.

edd1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 08:08 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

You have a great team guys, Finland always played a 'Canadian' type of hockey, driving the net, hitting, blocking shots, and this year, there's so many quality players in your team, love watching them play... I'm pretty sure they'll go far, if not get the gold. Anyway, good luck !

Vasculio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:37 AM
RaskY
Heir to Lidstrom

vCash: 50
Preview video for Team Finland.

RaskY is offline   Reply With Quote