HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Michael Downing - Dubuque (2013 NHL Draft)

Old
12-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Michael Downing - Dubuque (2013 NHL Draft)

Not a lot of chatter about Michael Downing of the Dubuque Fighting Saints. He's shown steady improvement in all three zones over the last season. He could very well end up a top-60 pick and we had him at 59 in our 2013 Draft Introduction guide.

He had some great mentors in Dubuque last season too with Zemgus Girgensons and Michael Matheson, both of whom went in the first round in 2012. He could be one of those guys poised for a big second-half.

Quote:
“Having Zemgus and Mikey helped me a lot,” said Downing. “Watching how they handled everything and just how hard both of the guys worked. I could go on and on about these two. They knew everything they were doing and they did it perfectly.”

Girgensons was selected 14th overall by the Buffalo Sabres last June, while Matheson was plucked by the Florida Panthers 23rd.

“I do stay in contact a lot with Zemgus,” Downing said. “Not so much about the draft but more about how our seasons are going.”

Girgensons has one goal and five points in 19 games playing in the American Hockey League this season. Downing, in his draft season, has eight points in 18 games – all assists.
http://futureconsiderations.ca/downi...buque-lessons/

Aaron Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 07:03 PM
OutdoorJoe

vCash: 500
I have watched Mike grow up for the past season and half at Dubuque. Good skater with good hands that likes to play physical. Very poised at D and makes the position look effortless. So effortless that sometimes it seems as though he isnt even trying. Takes good angles but can sometimes miss the big check as it seems he starts licking his lips too soon. Dosent take many chances, plays the game smart and it shows. Has a bomb of a shot that he needs to release more often. Just got in a line brawl for which he is currently suspended. (2games) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzvOd...ature=youtu.be Downing is #4

OutdoorJoe is offline   Reply With Quote