HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs-Canucks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-22-2012, 01:40 PM
  #26
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting
 
Seatoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Interior of BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
The article says he's a 3rd pairing guy who can play PP

What exactly is Tanev?
See my previous posts.


He realistically could play 2nd pairing minutes with a highly defensive game while paired with someone more offensive minded like Connauton (If they were on the 3rd pairing) or Edler/Garrison.

Seatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 01:46 PM
  #27
ZKassian9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
The article says he's a 3rd pairing guy who can play PP

What exactly is Tanev?
5 years younger and can actually play defense.
Once again Franson is barely 3rd d pair on a non playoff team.

ZKassian9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 01:55 PM
  #28
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 27,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZKassian9 View Post
5 years younger and can actually play defense.
Once again Franson is barely 3rd d pair on a non playoff team.
How many games have you seen Franson play?

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 01:57 PM
  #29
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 14,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
How many games have you seen Franson play?
Everything he said was true. What exactly are you disputing?

Franson is not a good defensive player and had a tough time holding down a job on an awful Leaf team. This player doesn't crack the Canucks starting lineup...

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 02:01 PM
  #30
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 27,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Everything he said was true. What exactly are you disputing?

Franson is not a good defensive player and had a tough time holding down a job on an awful Leaf team. This player doesn't crack the Canucks starting lineup...
I'm just curious.

Franson wasn't bad at all when played on the right side. On the left he was brutal, but on the right he played like a top 4 Dman.

It's hard not too look bad when you have Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, etc on your D core. Franson played with lesser Dmen.

Put Franson on the Leafs and Tanev on the Canucks and I'm sure Tanev will be the "#7 on the leafs" and Franson will be the "able to play top 4 mins" D

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 02:41 PM
  #31
Linden
[hello] :)
 
Linden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 36,173
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
I'm just curious.

Franson wasn't bad at all when played on the right side. On the left he was brutal, but on the right he played like a top 4 Dman.

It's hard not too look bad when you have Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, etc on your D core. Franson played with lesser Dmen.

Put Franson on the Leafs and Tanev on the Canucks and I'm sure Tanev will be the "#7 on the leafs" and Franson will be the "able to play top 4 mins" D
You do realize that during he last stretch or regular season games Tanev was playing top 4. And I only think having a strong D core speaks strongly for Tanev earning his spot.

I think they're value is fine, but we don't want to make the trade

Linden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 02:45 PM
  #32
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting
 
Seatoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Interior of BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,718
vCash: 500
I personally don't dislike Franson as he is a BC boy and has a big body but he isn't very mobile and not gifted offensively enough to make up for his defensive lapses, AV would eat him alive. He is a younger Andrew Alberts that is a righty, Franson's career will be a 6/7 depth Dman who is better suited for a slower paced eastern conference (Same as Alberts)

Seatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 03:02 PM
  #33
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
They're both bottom pairing guys who can play in the top 4 if paired with a strong partner. Franson has superior shot, size and offensive instincts, while Tanev has superior mobility, poise and defensive instincts. One is bottom pairing offensive specialist while the other is a bottom pairing defensive specialist. I don't think anyone can argue that this is anything more than a matter of preference in regards to playing style.

Personally I prefer Tanev's reliability in his own zone on my bottom pairing. Offense is nice to have from the back end, but when you're a third pairing defenseman your priority should be to keep the puck out of your end and minimize chances.

One final note, I think it's funny how some of my fellow Canucks fans have claimed that Franson wouldn't make the Canucks but Tanev would be a lock for Toronto's top 6 last year. I think you're forgetting that Franson played more than twice as many NHL games as Tanev last year. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Tanev, but some people are really getting ahead of themselves here.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 03:03 PM
  #34
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
I personally don't dislike Franson as he is a BC boy and has a big body but he isn't very mobile and not gifted offensively enough to make up for his defensive lapses, AV would eat him alive. He is a younger Andrew Alberts that is a righty, Franson's career will be a 6/7 depth Dman who is better suited for a slower paced eastern conference (Same as Alberts)
Just had to get a chuckle in on this comment before checking out of this thread.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 03:05 PM
  #35
TmlHockeyFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,600
vCash: 500
Franson definitely deserved more minutes last year for the leafs. It wasn't that he couldn't crack the lineup, it was that Wilson was an idiot. Komisarek was played WAY TOO MUCH. Komisarek wasn't doing anything to help the team and yet Franson was benched. He had so much potential but Wilson decides to play the veterans instead. I can see why he wants out.

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 03:29 PM
  #36
ZKassian9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
How many games have you seen Franson play?
I've seen him play a fair bit. With the Vancouver Giants too.
Even your own writers/fans think he may be a bust:
http://theleafsnation.com/2012/9/18/franson
Tanev looks very good on a 1st place team, Franson a scratch on a non playoff team. So like I said before, no thanks. Maybe apart of a bigger trade.

ZKassian9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 03:35 PM
  #37
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,040
vCash: 500
I wouldn't trade Tanev for either of these guys. Tanev is better than Franson right now, and plays more of a complete game. Liles is better than Tanev, but we don't need another left handed shot (Tanev and Bieksa are our only rightys) and Tanev has a very cheap contract for another year. We need that.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 03:37 PM
  #38
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TmlHockeyFan View Post
Franson definitely deserved more minutes last year for the leafs. It wasn't that he couldn't crack the lineup, it was that Wilson was an idiot. Komisarek was played WAY TOO MUCH. Komisarek wasn't doing anything to help the team and yet Franson was benched. He had so much potential but Wilson decides to play the veterans instead. I can see why he wants out.
He wants out because there would be a good chance he'll be riding the pine under Randy Carlyle when ever the NHL restarts. Franson was often caught doing his pylon act, and as bad as Komisarek was, he at least tried to play some D. Komisarek is more suited to Carlyle's game, and you can have only so many PMD. IMO Morgan Rielly will be given every chance to make the team, making Franson expendable.

Tanev doesn't make the mistake Franson does, and his skating is above and beyonds Franson's. IMO he's a better NHL D then Franson ever was and will be, right now. The problem with Tanev is that he has the misfortune of being on a team loaded with quality D.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 03:38 PM
  #39
Hi-wayman
Registered User
 
Hi-wayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,388
vCash: 500
I think the big points as far as the Canucks are concerned is first the Canucks have no desire to trade either Bieksa or Tanev, their only 2 right hand shot D's. Second though Fransen is also a right hand shot defenseman, why trade a right hand shot defenseman that you know fits well with the Canuck defense for a right hand shot defenseman that you don't know will fit with the Canuck defense or not. The grass is not always truly greener on the other side of th fence. For one, it has been suggested one of the problems Franson might have in fiting with the Canuck defense is he might be too slow to fit AV's requirements for his defensemen to join in the cycling with the forwards.

The only way I see Gillis willing to trade for Franson is that the Leafs take one of Vancouver's left had shot defensemen (likely Ballard or Alberts) or one of Vancouver's bottom six forwards or prospects (likely Raymond or Rodin) & I see such a trade as a low probability as Gillis has better trade possibilities for a right hand shot defensemen with other clubs.

The best trade I could see for the Canucks would be with Columbus - Goloubef for Rodin.

I see very little chance that Gillies would trade for Liles as Liles being a left hand shot would only further complicate the Canucks defence of having too many left hand shot D's and AV's insistance that his defense core consists of 3 right hand shot and 3 left hand shot defensemen so that they don't lose the second or two required in switching hands after taking a puck off the boards.

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 06:15 PM
  #40
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 14,458
vCash: 500
Yeah, a Franson for Alberts swap makes more sense. The Leafs move a player that doesn't want to be there and receive a big, physical, stay at home #6 dman. The Canucks move a left side guy where they are very deep for a natural right side guy where they lack depth. Franson would fill the role of #6 or 7.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 06:18 PM
  #41
Vancouver Blazers
1973-1975
 
Vancouver Blazers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
That proposal is laughable.
Most Leafs proposals are.

Vancouver Blazers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 06:28 PM
  #42
Jax Teller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Yeah, a Franson for Alberts swap makes more sense. The Leafs move a player that doesn't want to be there and receive a big, physical, stay at home #6 dman. The Canucks move a left side guy where they are very deep for a natural right side guy where they lack depth. Franson would fill the role of #6 or 7.
Nah, that doesn't work. The left side is also a position of depth for the Leafs, there would be no room for Alberts. Franson is set for the 2nd pair with Gardiner, most likely, when hockey resumes. The idea behind a Franson/Tanev swap was too flip an offensive defenseman for a more defensive minded defenseman, to balance out the pairings. Also, if the Leafs were to move Franson, I believe he would bring in a significantly better return then Alberts.

Jax Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 06:30 PM
  #43
Minimalist*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,072
vCash: 500
Van sees him as a future staple on the second pairing. Not interested.

Minimalist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 06:44 PM
  #44
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 14,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybaby View Post
Nah, that doesn't work. The left side is also a position of depth for the Leafs, there would be no room for Alberts. Franson is set for the 2nd pair with Gardiner, most likely, when hockey resumes. The idea behind a Franson/Tanev swap was too flip an offensive defenseman for a more defensive minded defenseman, to balance out the pairings. Also, if the Leafs were to move Franson, I believe he would bring in a significantly better return then Alberts.
Yeah, not a good fit if Toronto is happy with their left side.

The Canucks moved a 3rd rd pick for Alberts. I would assume Franson's worth to be a 3rd rd pick...

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 07:04 PM
  #45
Jax Teller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Yeah, not a good fit if Toronto is happy with their left side.

The Canucks moved a 3rd rd pick for Alberts. I would assume Franson's worth to be a 3rd rd pick...
I currently wouldn't trade Franson for a pick if it wasn't a late 1st, simply because the Leafs lack depth on the right side. His actual value is probably a 2nd round pick at this point, I don't believe the fact that he is an RFA has much bearing on his value. There is no season currently and there are many RFA's, the Leafs will easily get him signed if they can't find a better alternative for the top-4 on the right side.

Jax Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 07:12 PM
  #46
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybaby View Post
I currently wouldn't trade Franson for a pick if it wasn't a late 1st.


Leaf fans are the best.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 07:32 PM
  #47
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post


Leaf fans are the best.
Why would they bother trading him for a 2nd or 3rd? With a 2nd round pick, getting a player like Franson is generally considered a success. Just as the poster said, Franson isn't worth a 1st but why trade from a position of overall weakness unless you're getting good value?

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 07:38 PM
  #48
Jax Teller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post


Leaf fans are the best.
What are the chances a 2nd round pick even becomes as good as Franson? Picks are so bloody overated. Why trade a young, proven bottom-pairing D with 2nd pairing potential for a total gamble? .

Jax Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 08:06 PM
  #49
Hi-wayman
Registered User
 
Hi-wayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybaby View Post
What are the chances a 2nd round pick even becomes as good as Franson? Picks are so bloody overated. Why trade a young, proven bottom-pairing D with 2nd pairing potential for a total gamble? .
Of course draft picks are over-rated. This is HF

There is no need for the Leafs to trade Franson except it is fans understanding that Franson has indicated he doesn't want to play for the Leafs. I haven't heard if he has officially asked to be traded or not. Its unfortunate for the Leafs as Franson has harmed somewhat what the Leafs could trade him for.

The Leafs would be better to ask for a prospect such as Sauve brcause he is not yet NHL ready or for a forward. Mason Raymond gets a hard time here on HF but in reality he really is a good player and would fit well on the Leafs. Mason actually would be slight overpayment for Franson, but 2/3 line wingers are an area that the Canucks have an excess so can afford to overpay.

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 08:55 PM
  #50
kthsn
Registered User
 
kthsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,515
vCash: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
The article says he's a 3rd pairing guy who can play PP

What exactly is Tanev?
Tanev was playing with Hamhuis as the #1 shutdown pairing in the playoffs.

kthsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.