HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Planning to build a new computer? Read Here first! #5

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2012, 05:45 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
So I'm thinking about finally purchasing the last pieces of my desktop build but I'm wondering if I should get Windows 7 or Windows 8. I've heard some pretty bad stuff about Windows 8 but I'm not sure if that's coming from people afraid of change or if they're legitimate concerns.

Any thoughts?
People that i've talked to who used 8 extensively basically said it's built for touch-screen monitors.

So... if you're getting a touch screen monitor it's really good, otherwise there's no point.

Old
12-18-2012, 05:50 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=2373004

Just bought a barebones kit that comes with that. That seems pretty good. I've been intrigued by liquid coolers for a long time, would it be worthwhile to pick one up? How often do they break and spew fluid everywhere?
It's a good chip.

On liquid coolers don't even bother unless you're really, really, really planning on overclocking. Seriously my 3770k is marginally overclocked with nothing but a few extra fans I bought for $25 and my core temps are fine around 33 degrees C.

Old
12-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Devils Nick30

Quote:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=2373004

Just bought a barebones kit that comes with that. That seems pretty good. I've been intrigued by liquid coolers for a long time, would it be worthwhile to pick one up? How often do they break and spew fluid everywhere?
That's probably the best CPU you can get for your money unless you are going be doing really CPU intense things. For gaming, there is really no point in going higher than the 3570k.

Unless you are making your own custom loop, air cooling does just fine with a $30 aftermarket CPU cooler.

Old
12-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Thanks for the input. I was hoping to get the best within reason, so I'm glad I picked the right one. I used to be on top of this stuff but I've fallen a few years behind and I'm trying to play catch up.

I think I'll hold off on the liquid cooling, then. I don't think I'll need to OC for a few years.

12-18-2012, 06:17 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I was hoping to get the best within reason, so I'm glad I picked the right one. I used to be on top of this stuff but I've fallen a few years behind and I'm trying to play catch up.

I think I'll hold off on the liquid cooling, then. I don't think I'll need to OC for a few years.
Ya I mean really if you just want a very good processor the 3570k is great for gaming and can overclock pretty well.

Then there's the 3770k which is basically the same but better at encoding video. So if you need to encode a lot of videos, upload videos, video editing etc. then the 3770k is faster at that process by quite a bit. But for gaming and everything else the 3570k is just as good.

Old
12-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Yeah, gaming is all I need.

Old
12-18-2012, 07:17 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, gaming is all I need.
What kinda video card are you going to pair it with

Old
12-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
What kinda video card are you going to pair it with
I bought an extremely lightly used nVidia card off my co-worker. So lightly used he can say he used it 7 times, then it sat around while he replaced everything in his PC before realizing his processor had been broken out of the box. It's currently sitting in my dead PC, and I do not remember what the hell it is. I remember it draws 140 watts, yet I can't figure out which GeForce GTX GI OEM GS Ti it is.

My old PC's motherboard died two or three weeks after I installed that card, actually. Hopefully that's just a coincidence.

Old
12-18-2012, 08:37 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
My old PC's motherboard died two or three weeks after I installed that card, actually. Hopefully that's just a coincidence.
If it died 2-3 weeks after it probably is a coincidence. But I'd have the new motherboard RMA forms handy

Course you could always stick the card in something else to test it before your new machine.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
If it died 2-3 weeks after it probably is a coincidence. But I'd have the new motherboard RMA forms handy

Course you could always stick the card in something else to test it before your new machine.
Unfortunately I can't...so I guess we will see.

I'm home; card is a GeForce GTX 560, 1gb. New PC will also have 8gb RAM on two sticks.

Is that card any good? I've only been able to use it on my old PC and I think that Pentium D was holding it back.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:01 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Unfortunately I can't...so I guess we will see.

I'm home; card is a GeForce GTX 560, 1gb. New PC will also have 8gb RAM on two sticks.

Is that card any good? I've only been able to use it on my old PC and I think that Pentium D was holding it back.
A Pentium D would definitely hold back a 560, but a 560 will hold back a 3570 Still a pretty good graphics card and can play anything, but you won't be running BF3 on high.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Haha. That's an issue I don't think I've ever had. I've either been well matched, or Pentium D was the issue.

I'll eventually upgrade as the current really good cards become cheap. I typically upgrade my card every 2-3 years.

Old
12-19-2012, 01:19 AM
Slot 3
exitus acta probat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
People that i've talked to who used 8 extensively basically said it's built for touch-screen monitors.

So... if you're getting a touch screen monitor it's really good, otherwise there's no point.
But, but... the hard drive pooling~

Honestly though, not regretting my Win8 upgrade. Classic Shell solved most of my UX problems. And dat delicious drive pool.

Old
12-19-2012, 02:43 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I'm going to try to put XP on my new PC, and once that ship is in order I'm probably going to upgrade it to 8.

Everything I've read about 8 screams "This is another Vista" but screw it, I might as well. I'm pretty sure it's still 40 bucks to upgrade, right? It's worth it to go from XP to that.

Old
12-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Gonzothe7thDman

I just got 400$ in Newegg.com gift cards early for christmas. I was curious if I should use them now and upgrade or just hold off. I don't pay attention to computer hardware unless its around the time for my bi-annual upgrade. So im out of touch.

Heres my current P.C.

Asus VW246H monitor

Processor: Intel I5 2500K

Video Card:MSI Twin Frozr II HD6950 2GB

4 Gigs Ram (im almost positive ill upgrade this to 8)

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO

I don't really think I need to upgrade at the moment, but theres nothing else I'd really use the Newegg giftcards on.

Thoughts?

Old
12-21-2012, 02:06 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzothe7thDman View Post
I just got 400$ in Newegg.com gift cards early for christmas. I was curious if I should use them now and upgrade or just hold off. I don't pay attention to computer hardware unless its around the time for my bi-annual upgrade. So im out of touch.

Heres my current P.C.

Asus VW246H monitor

Processor: Intel I5 2500K

Video Card:MSI Twin Frozr II HD6950 2GB

4 Gigs Ram (im almost positive ill upgrade this to 8)

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO

I don't really think I need to upgrade at the moment, but theres nothing else I'd really use the Newegg giftcards on.

Thoughts?
Might want to upgrade RAM but besides that I would wait 6 months or so. Also might want to look at SSD drives... so so fast.

Old
12-21-2012, 04:22 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Might want to upgrade RAM but besides that I would wait 6 months or so. Also might want to look at SSD drives... so so fast.
Agreed, waiting is best here. If you wait you can pickup a new high end AMD video card when they are released. Sticking a $400 8xxx card in your system will do more for you than upgrading CPU and such. Your 2500k should be good for a long long time, I'm planning on mine lasting quite a while anyway.

My system is exactly the same as yours except I have a z77 board and 8gb.

Old
12-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Zodiac

yeah hanging on to the cash is probably best ...unless you're really not satisfied with your in game performance with that card, and are hard up for an upgrade.

when do the new cards come out anyway? i know they'll come out in 2013, but not sure when.

like already mentioned, an SSD could be something of interest.

more ram is an obvious and pretty cheap upgrade.

what about your sound setup? do you have a nice speaker setup? sound card maybe?

i find lots of people tend to overlook a decent sound setup with their gaming pc. a nice surround sound setup goes a long long way towards a nice immersive gaming experience ...or for music/movies as well.

i own that same monitor, btw ...its pretty decent. never had any problems with it anyway.

Old
12-21-2012, 05:28 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
what about your sound setup? do you have a nice speaker setup? sound card maybe?

i find lots of people tend to overlook a decent sound setup with their gaming pc. a nice surround sound setup goes a long long way towards a nice immersive gaming experience ...or for music/movies as well.
The great thing about nice sound setups is they last through multiple PC's. I'm on my third pc with this current soundcard + speakers. Wouldn't shock me if they make it to a 4th.

Old
12-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but in regards to updating video card drivers, I'm quite behind. I don't play PC games that require a lot of power, but I might buy a couple of newer, more demanding PC games on the steam sale.

With a Geforce, I'm on version 306.97, but the most recent driver update is 310.70. I'm just wondering would it be okay to go ahead and get that update, or do I have to get all the updates before that I missed as well?

Old
12-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Zodiac

Quote:
The great thing about nice sound setups is they last through multiple PC's. I'm on my third pc with this current soundcard + speakers. Wouldn't shock me if they make it to a 4th.
yeah for sure. i'm still using a sound setup from around 6 years ago that i got with a Dell pc at the time (i was working a crappy job with crappy hours and was too lazy at the time to build my own pc ...heh).

anyway its a Dell branded 5.1 surround sound setup, 100watt with sub woofer, etc. using a Soundblaster X-Fi Xtrememusic sound card.

now i don't have a lot of sound setups to compare it against, but it still sounds pretty damn good to me. very loud/clear with good bass.

it'd be interesting to hear some of the better setups ...but i find mine is still pretty good with no real need to upgrade.

maybe if i heard some of the newer/better setups i'd be blown away tho? dunno. most likely i would tho.

Old
12-21-2012, 06:15 PM
Zodiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but in regards to updating video card drivers, I'm quite behind. I don't play PC games that require a lot of power, but I might buy a couple of newer, more demanding PC games on the steam sale.

With a Geforce, I'm on version 306.97, but the most recent driver update is 310.70. I'm just wondering would it be okay to go ahead and get that update, or do I have to get all the updates before that I missed as well?
no, just go with the newest.

Old
12-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

So, my old computer stopped working with any hard drive; it would recognize them, but wouldn't load windows or allow windows to install via CD.

I put my new computer together, and I'm having the EXACT same issue. Old hard drive starts to load windows, then BSOD. New hard drive is a no go too. CD loads all the files, then BSOD. I just spent a boatload of money, so I'm pretty pissed off.

Any ideas?

Edit: Hmm. Maybe if I format the new drive...somehow, that will help?

Edit 2: If anybody knows a way to format a drive without an OS installed it would be helpful

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 12-22-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old
12-22-2012, 09:03 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
So, my old computer stopped working with any hard drive; it would recognize them, but wouldn't load windows or allow windows to install via CD.

I put my new computer together, and I'm having the EXACT same issue. Old hard drive starts to load windows, then BSOD. New hard drive is a no go too. CD loads all the files, then BSOD. I just spent a boatload of money, so I'm pretty pissed off.

Any ideas?

Edit: Hmm. Maybe if I format the new drive...somehow, that will help?

Edit 2: If anybody knows a way to format a drive without an OS installed it would be helpful
What is the BSOD message?

Also what exactly are the old components in the system vs the new ones? You mentioned having an old drive and a new one, what else?

Old
12-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
What is the BSOD message?

Also what exactly are the old components in the system vs the new ones? You mentioned having an old drive and a new one, what else?
I only plugged the old drive in to see what would happen; it's not connected anymore. Otherwise, it shares a video card. I tried a different card, same thing happened.

Otherwise RAM, mobo, PSU, processor, are all new. HD is fresh out of box and has nothing on it.

I tried resetting CMOS, that didn't help. Also, before BIOS really gets going (like if you hit F2) it will at some point say no hard drive is detected. However, it is detected when you're in BIOS.

Error: ***STOP: 0x0000007B 0xC0000034 0x00000000 0x00000000

It recommends I check for viruses (ha!) and remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. I should also check to make sure my hard drive is properly configured and terminated. It wants me to run CHDSK /F but that's no possible since XP won't start in any way, shape or form.

I'd like to format the empty hard drive to see what that does, but I can't get to that stage of the XP setup either. It does try to boot from the CD, it loads all the files, and then immediately crashes once it attempts to start.

Edit: Oh for the love of...I changed the SATA settings to IDE. XP is now installing. I'm gonna be sort of pissed if this was the issue with my last PC, but I highly doubt it since I changed nothing in BIOS before it pooped out.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 12-22-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Closed Thread