HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT Thread Part IIX: The How Do Roman Numerals Work? Edition

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-22-2012, 11:51 AM
  #201
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream
 
Ave Maria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Westchester,NY
Country: Italy
Posts: 2,453
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
So... heading back into the city today, I think, with the girlfriend and some of her co-workers. Probably not going to be as fun as it could be, given the company (gossip and christmas carols are likely to be all I'll hear today), but should be a decent time anyhow. Put myself in the spirit a bit more. I was thinking it would be fun to skate, but I don't want to carry $700 ice skates around the city with me and I'll never rent in my life. Also don't really get too excited about waiting on long lines, but skating outside at Bryant Park with my girl would be a nice memory.
I went last February to skate at Bryant with a few Ranger players, was able to meet Dubi, Prust, and Stralman there.

Ave Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 11:54 AM
  #202
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callys Chicken Parm View Post
MPF, you should be able to answer this.

Will gaining muscle, in say my chest, arms, and shoulders, help at all with my stomach?

Will it contour my body and help make my stomach flatter, or do you need to do separate workouts for your stomach? I'm not talking about a six pack, just making my stomach more flat (getting rid of fat).
Yes absolutely. You can't actually "focus" on your stomach and expect to slim down. Situps and ab work outs don't burn any more fat than the calories you use to do the workout. Only intense, full body workouts burn significant amounts of fat. Training the muscles in your stomach does the same thing training any muscle does; it makes them bigger. Now, it's good to train the muscles in your stomach (especially in your obliques, on the sides) because you want a strong core and you want the muscles to show through when you slim down, but you also don't want to over train your abs (as so many guys do) because than you get that bulging gut where the guy has abs, but it's not a good looking flat stomach, but a bunch of protruding muscles.

Either way, training the rest of your body is not only going to help trim your waist, it's actually going to be more effective. Unfortunately, things like arms and shoulders are secondary muscle groups; they'll still help, for sure, and they should be worked, but engaging larger muscles like your quads (squats, lunges or leg press), lats (rows, pulls, etc.) and chest will burn more calories and help you trim faster. The larger the muscles you're working, the more hormones your body also release and, in the case of weight training, the hormones triggered are ones that promote muscle growth and increase metabolism and testosterone production, both of which promote fat loss. What you should do is develop a basic regimen, even if it's only 3 days a week and precede or conclude each workout with ~20 minutes of cardio, or even power walking.

But absolutely, gaining muscle anywhere is going to promote some fat loss; just adding more muscle to your composition forces your body to burn calories at a higher rate. Add in the calories burned while exercising those muscles and make smart dietary choices - as in, still get the burger and fries when you're out with your friends, but grab some fruit instead of chips at home, or water instead of soda - and you'll trim up quickly. It's a lot easier than most people think; 75% of the battle is the willpower to do it. The other 25% is the knowledge of what to do. Also, adding muscle in your chest, shoulders, arms and back will make your waist look more trim because of the proportions of your body changing. That, along with the calories burned from weight lifting (which burns fat at a higher rate than cardio, FYI) will do wonders for making you look more slender and muscular.

A decent starter routine with three days a week, and a rest day in between each would be:

Monday:
Flat bench press (barbell or dumb bells)
Incline press (barbell or dumb bells)
Cable flies: 2 sets decline, 2 sets slight incline, 2 sets deep incline
Dumb bell curls
Two-hand cable curls
Woodcutters (cable exercise for abs/obliques)

Tuesday: Rest

Wednesday:
Lat pull down
Seated row
Bent over dumb bell row
Skullcrushers
Two-hand cable tricep extensions
Decline situps (with a 10lb plate or medicine ball, if it's easy)

Thursday: Rest

Friday:
Military press (seated)
Upright cable row
Deltoid raises (cable or dumbell)
Front dumbell raises
Roman chair crunches
Leg press
Leg extensions

Saturday & Sunday Rest


Do cardio before or after each work out. 5 minutes to warm up, 15 minutes of decent work, and 2.5 minutes to cool down should be more than enough. It's up to you when you do it; if you're trying to build muscle, they recommend doing it before you lift and if you're trying to tone they recommend doing it after you lift. I like doing it after I lift just because I think it takes away from my energy with the weights if I run first. You can also decide to not do cardio at all on your lift days and instead do 30 minutes on the days you don't lift. Either way works. This should be a pretty easy routine to get into though; it doesn't require much expertise and you can look up all of the lifts on youtube to get an idea for the form. I left out anything that's dangerous or complex like squats and compound lifts so that it would be accessible for someone whose getting acquainted with lifting. Scott Herman's gym videos on youtube are good instruction and motivation.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 12:03 PM
  #203
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Yes absolutely. You can't actually "focus" on your stomach and expect to slim down. Situps and ab work outs don't burn any more fat than the calories you use to do the workout. Only intense, full body workouts burn significant amounts of fat. Training the muscles in your stomach does the same thing training any muscle does; it makes them bigger. Now, it's good to train the muscles in your stomach (especially in your obliques, on the sides) because you want a strong core and you want the muscles to show through when you slim down, but you also don't want to over train your abs (as so many guys do) because than you get that bulging gut where the guy has abs, but it's not a good looking flat stomach, but a bunch of protruding muscles.

Either way, training the rest of your body is not only going to help trim your waist, it's actually going to be more effective. Unfortunately, things like arms and shoulders are secondary muscle groups; they'll still help, for sure, and they should be worked, but engaging larger muscles like your quads (squats, lunges or leg press), lats (rows, pulls, etc.) and chest will burn more calories and help you trim faster. The larger the muscles you're working, the more hormones your body also release and, in the case of weight training, the hormones triggered are ones that promote muscle growth and increase metabolism and testosterone production, both of which promote fat loss. What you should do is develop a basic regimen, even if it's only 3 days a week and precede or conclude each workout with ~20 minutes of cardio, or even power walking.

But absolutely, gaining muscle anywhere is going to promote some fat loss; just adding more muscle to your composition forces your body to burn calories at a higher rate. Add in the calories burned while exercising those muscles and make smart dietary choices - as in, still get the burger and fries when you're out with your friends, but grab some fruit instead of chips at home, or water instead of soda - and you'll trim up quickly. It's a lot easier than most people think; 75% of the battle is the willpower to do it. The other 25% is the knowledge of what to do. Also, adding muscle in your chest, shoulders, arms and back will make your waist look more trim because of the proportions of your body changing. That, along with the calories burned from weight lifting (which burns fat at a higher rate than cardio, FYI) will do wonders for making you look more slender and muscular.

A decent starter routine with three days a week, and a rest day in between each would be:

Monday:
Flat bench press (barbell or dumb bells)
Incline press (barbell or dumb bells)
Cable flies: 2 sets decline, 2 sets slight incline, 2 sets deep incline
Dumb bell curls
Two-hand cable curls
Woodcutters (cable exercise for abs/obliques)

Tuesday: Rest

Wednesday:
Lat pull down
Seated row
Bent over dumb bell row
Skullcrushers
Two-hand cable tricep extensions
Decline situps (with a 10lb plate or medicine ball, if it's easy)

Thursday: Rest

Friday:
Military press (seated)
Upright cable row
Deltoid raises (cable or dumbell)
Front dumbell raises
Roman chair crunches
Leg press
Leg extensions

Saturday & Sunday Rest


Do cardio before or after each work out. 5 minutes to warm up, 15 minutes of decent work, and 2.5 minutes to cool down should be more than enough. It's up to you when you do it; if you're trying to build muscle, they recommend doing it before you lift and if you're trying to tone they recommend doing it after you lift. I like doing it after I lift just because I think it takes away from my energy with the weights if I run first. You can also decide to not do cardio at all on your lift days and instead do 30 minutes on the days you don't lift. Either way works. This should be a pretty easy routine to get into though; it doesn't require much expertise and you can look up all of the lifts on youtube to get an idea for the form. I left out anything that's dangerous or complex like squats and compound lifts so that it would be accessible for someone whose getting acquainted with lifting. Scott Herman's gym videos on youtube are good instruction and motivation.
Couldn't have asked for a better answer. Thanks man, I really do appreciate it!

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 12:04 PM
  #204
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,404
vCash: 500
what If I dont go to a gym, but I have my free weights and do my ab exercises and such... will that do anything?

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 12:56 PM
  #205
blue425
Registered User
 
blue425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,266
vCash: 500
I could swear we have been down this road before..

The food you put in your mouths is 80% of what your body is going to look like. 15% is exercise, and the final 5% is our genetics.

You guys want a good strong core? Do planks. You want a visible six pack? Stop eating crap and do planks.

See this guy here? Al Kavadlo? He doesn't lift weights either. Body weight exercises only, and eats almost the exact same diet as I do.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 01:03 PM
  #206
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
I could swear we have been down this road before..

The food you put in your mouths is 80% of what your body is going to look like. 15% is exercise, and the final 5% is our genetics.

You guys want a good strong core? Do planks. You want a visible six pack? Stop eating crap and do planks.

See this guy here? Al Kavadlo? He doesn't lift weights either. Body weight exercises only, and eats almost the exact same diet as I do.
That's actually legit. I like stuff like insanity because it's not much weights but it's all body exericse.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 01:12 PM
  #207
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
what If I dont go to a gym, but I have my free weights and do my ab exercises and such... will that do anything?
Of course it will. You don't need a gym for anything. Virtually everything I wrote can be done, in some variation, without any special equipment. Body weight exercises are great too. I adhere less to the 80/15/5 break down; it certainly makes it ginormously easier if you focus on diet to such an extent, but you can achieve wonders without changing up your diet too much (if you're not trying to lose significant weight; that's a different story) as long as you do make an effort to be conscientious and responsible.

Realize the time commitment you're putting in at the gym and don't blow it every time you put food in your tank. As for working out without a gym, if you can make the commitment to do it in a regimented manner than there's no reason you can't achieve an outstanding body. My problem with working out at home is I tend to cut my workouts shorter because all of the comforts of home are just up the stairs and I don't have the motivation I get from having to actually go some place. I do totally agree with the effectiveness of body weight workouts and calisthenics though.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 01:19 PM
  #208
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Of course it will. You don't need a gym for anything. Virtually everything I wrote can be done, in some variation, without any special equipment. Body weight exercises are great too. I adhere less to the 80/15/5 break down; it certainly makes it ginormously easier if you focus on diet to such an extent, but you can achieve wonders without changing up your diet too much (if you're not trying to lose significant weight; that's a different story) as long as you do make an effort to be conscientious and responsible.

Realize the time commitment you're putting in at the gym and don't blow it every time you put food in your tank. As for working out without a gym, if you can make the commitment to do it in a regimented manner than there's no reason you can't achieve an outstanding body. My problem with working out at home is I tend to cut my workouts shorter because all of the comforts of home are just up the stairs and I don't have the motivation I get from having to actually go some place. I do totally agree with the effectiveness of body weight workouts and calisthenics though.
I don't need to lose much weight. I just really need to burn a bit of fat off my stomach. My ab muscles are growing but under the fat/

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 05:46 PM
  #209
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils
 
Tanner Glass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,958
vCash: 50
Nap = Heaven

__________________
Tanner Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 07:10 PM
  #210
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,672
vCash: 3075
I hereby declare myself BBQ Wing Master.

__________________
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 07:23 PM
  #211
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,404
vCash: 500
I declare myself buffalo wing master.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 07:39 PM
  #212
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils
 
Tanner Glass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,958
vCash: 50
I declare myself master of the universe

Tanner Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 07:45 PM
  #213
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,672
vCash: 3075
Pierre McGuire declares himself the Master of Disguise.


Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 07:54 PM
  #214
Cresto
In the pantry
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,502
vCash: 500
Dropped $1400 on Amazon gift cards a few days ago

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 09:05 PM
  #215
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
Dropped $1400 on Amazon gift cards a few days ago
When should I be expecting mine?

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 09:14 PM
  #216
Cresto
In the pantry
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
When should I be expecting mine?
Your picture made me think it was kaneone for a second there

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 09:48 PM
  #217
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils
 
Tanner Glass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,958
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
Your picture made me think it was kaneone for a second there
There's about 10 of them with that avatar

Tanner Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 09:55 PM
  #218
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Stayed home tonight and watched Miracle with my mom. I'd say it was a very productive night. Best movie ever made.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 10:46 PM
  #219
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,404
vCash: 500
Packed 8 shirts, 3 pairs of pj pants, 2 pairs of jeans, undies, socks, deoderant, toothbrush, and a hoody into 1 drawstring bag. I am immortal

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 10:47 PM
  #220
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Packed 8 shirts, 3 pairs of pj pants, 2 pairs of jeans, undies, socks, deoderant, toothbrush, and a hoody into 1 drawstring bag. I am immortal
#therightway

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 11:01 PM
  #221
mti79
Registered User
 
mti79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
I declare myself buffalo wing master.
I'll be the judge of that....

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 11:04 PM
  #222
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
I'll be the judge of that....
Do I smell a challenge...

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 11:27 PM
  #223
Krams
Scalloped Potatoes
 
Krams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Albany County
Country: Papua New Guinea
Posts: 3,638
vCash: 400
I'm employed at WingStreet. I drop wings in oil, push buttons, and mix powder with water to create sauces. Get at me.

Krams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 11:30 PM
  #224
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissFreakinWatch View Post
I'm employed at WingStreet. I drop wings in oil, push buttons, and mix powder with water to create sauces. Get at me.
I eat them.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 11:35 PM
  #225
Krams
Scalloped Potatoes
 
Krams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Albany County
Country: Papua New Guinea
Posts: 3,638
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
I eat them.
1751 East Main Street, Mohegan Lake, NY 10547

Stop on by. I'll do my best not to drop them on the floor.

Krams is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.