HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tomas Plekanec to Minnesota

Old
12-22-2012, 10:22 PM
glenbuis

vCash: 500
If u wanna try and think of all the ways we are not far from the top you can put up a decent argument. Three years ago we were in the final four, Two years ago we took the eventual cup champions to game seven. Last year was a write-off because of injuries. A healthier team with added grit this year and there's no doubt we'll be back in the play-offs. Lots of prospects and draft picks built up and you can see it's getting better. (So far, would what i just said be reasonable?)

Last edited by glenbuis: 12-22-2012 at 10:31 PM.
glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 10:54 PM
glenbuis

Don't answer. Let me finish. On the downside there's issues. When we got to the final four, between out of this world goal=tending and some breaks we knocked off two top seeds. I think you would have to admit that we never really dominated and caught a few breaks along the way. Against Boston we were so close. But again were we really equipped well for three more rounds. From then on it's been down hill do to injuries. If we keep all the same players who get injured a lot ie. Markov, thats proballbly gonna happen again. So if we don't rebuild at this stage, we will probalbly make the play-offs but really are we really gonna be a serious contender?

Old
12-22-2012, 11:05 PM
glenbuis

Then think about the team that could be assembled in yes, three years. For one you can't say that Subban is chemistry. After which fight with what teammate did you come to that conclusion? If you really think for a while about the potential of a rebuild at this stage, we could have a real contender in yes 3 yrs. Weve waited since 92-93, so whats another 3yrs. We wouldn't be like the Oilers with 4 BigStars and not much else, but say 8-10 good stars

Old
12-23-2012, 02:45 AM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbuis View Post
If u wanna try and think of all the ways we are not far from the top you can put up a decent argument. Three years ago we were in the final four, Two years ago we took the eventual cup champions to game seven. Last year was a write-off because of injuries. A healthier team with added grit this year and there's no doubt we'll be back in the play-offs. Lots of prospects and draft picks built up and you can see it's getting better. (So far, would what i just said be reasonable?)
OK... thanks for the arguments? They could quite possibly regain their form - I believe this season was a bit of an anomaly.

Quote:
Don't answer. Let me finish. On the downside there's issues. When we got to the final four, between out of this world goal=tending and some breaks we knocked off two top seeds. I think you would have to admit that we never really dominated and caught a few breaks along the way. Against Boston we were so close. But again were we really equipped well for three more rounds. From then on it's been down hill do to injuries. If we keep all the same players who get injured a lot ie. Markov, thats proballbly gonna happen again. So if we don't rebuild at this stage, we will probalbly make the play-offs but really are we really gonna be a serious contender?
Look no further than our latest cup champions - the LA Kings. A hot goaltender and a team running full steam can work wonders. Montreal has a great young core that can arguably rival that of the kings (yes, I believe the Kings aren't as good as they seemed), and have a much better prospect pool. Both teams have in my mind, the two most valuable (take into account age) goaltenders in the league.

Quote:
Then think about the team that could be assembled in yes, three years. For one you can't say that Subban is chemistry. After which fight with what teammate did you come to that conclusion? If you really think for a while about the potential of a rebuild at this stage, we could have a real contender in yes 3 yrs. Weve waited since 92-93, so whats another 3yrs. We wouldn't be like the Oilers with 4 BigStars and not much else, but say 8-10 good stars
You're right, they hate each other: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJeNYifK-Nc Seems like decent chemistry with the most important piece in Montreal, with him being the second most important.

Please, we've got an amazing young core of Pacioretty, Subban, Price with relatively young veterans Gorges and Plekanec also in the core. Galchenyuk is looking phenomenal, our prospect pool is great and we've got great veteran leadership that can chip in offensively with Gionta and Markov. As well, I'm leaving out all the great young players like Desharnais, Diaz, etc.

What you're suggesting is what goes against the spirit of the Montreal Canadiens; purposely tanking for better draft choices.

Last edited by CanadienShark: 12-23-2012 at 02:50 AM.
CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Doesn't make sense for us. Brodziak could probably step into the top six if needed, we have Granlund and Cullen, and in a worst case scenario Mitchell since we're likely to be racked by injuries. We need a defenseman much, much more than another center. Something around Diaz maybe?

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 08:49 AM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
Why do you think Montreal even needs to rebuild? You forget that they were in the playoffs for many years preceding this past year. Montreal was hit with injuries worse than perhaps any team in the league. As well, usually removing a #1 d-man and #1 centre ruins chemistry a good bit - not something that a couple of good prospects can fix in 2-3 years...
You weren't playing Warren Peters and Cody Almond with an injured Heatley on the top line.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

The only player in the Minnesota line-up (aside from the obvious new signing this summer) which the Habs might be interested in is Danny Heatley. Enigmatic yes, but big body and he knows where the net is.

So if the Habs buy out Gomez, while I'm not in favour of trading Plekanec as I have a feeling he'll bounce back, I could see something there... maybe. But I highly doubt it.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:44 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
The only player in the Minnesota line-up (aside from the obvious new signing this summer) which the Habs might be interested in is Danny Heatley. Enigmatic yes, but big body and he knows where the net is.
Haha, that would make the relationship and games with Sens even better.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 11:10 AM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post

So if the Habs buy out Gomez, while I'm not in favour of trading Plekanec as I have a feeling he'll bounce back, I could see something there... maybe. But I highly doubt it.
And he's a left wing. I could definitely see it - he's just what the Habs need. I don't think I'd be opposed, I liked him as a Shark and I would as a Hab.

Old
12-23-2012, 12:58 PM
glenbuis

Heatley can stay in Minnesota. For Gomez maybe. He's like one of the three going to see the wizard of oz and he's the one looking for a heart.

Old
12-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Why would the Wild, who finished dead last in goals scored last year, trade away their best offensive player from last season? Some people in here aren't thinking about what the Wild actually need, just what the Habs need.

Now would Montreal have any interest in trading away Y. Weber? The Wild could very much use some increased depth on defense.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 04:20 PM
glenbuis

What about YannickWeber, a 2nd and a third in 2013 for Minnesota's 2013 first.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Why would the Wild, who finished dead last in goals scored last year, trade away their best offensive player from last season? Some people in here aren't thinking about what the Wild actually need, just what the Habs need.

Now would Montreal have any interest in trading away Y. Weber? The Wild could very much use some increased depth on defense.
I think a 2nd round pick and a mid-tier prospect would be a fair price.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 04:45 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 50
Quote:
If they use the previous format, Wild will have 3 balls with like 6 other teams.

So they say big 'NO'.

I don't see any reason for the Wild to trade 2013 1st unless it's for a 1st pairing Dman.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 05:51 PM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
You weren't playing Warren Peters and Cody Almond with an injured Heatley on the top line.
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...ost-to-injury/

Montreal lost more players to injury (in terms of games) than anyone else.

Old
12-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Dampland

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
The only player from the Wild I'd want for Plekanec is Dumba. I doubt Minny fans would want to trade him. I read Dumba has not progressed well since the draft, but he's still a top pick.
SOLD ... where do we sign the trade papers!!

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
No, Minnesota adds.. Greatly...

Started drinking early... I hope.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 11:58 PM
glenbuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
No, Minnesota adds.. Greatly...

Started drinking early... I hope.
I don't understand my friend. Do you believe I would be giving away to much in exchange for their first round pick?

Old
12-25-2012, 01:11 AM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1534
Quote:
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...ost-to-injury/

Montreal lost more players to injury (in terms of games) than anyone else.
Do those injuries include key players? (including four players from Montreal's top-six, and both starting and backup goalies, which required an emergency call-up and amateur signing?)

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 11:38 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Give me your 1st in a strong draft and I'll send my small, 3rd pairing blueliner and a pair of lower picks.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Do those injuries include key players? (including four players from Montreal's top-six, and both starting and backup goalies, which required an emergency call-up and amateur signing?)
of course they do. including their 2nd best d man - markov, + kostitsyn, cammalleri, moen, gionta and price who were all out for at least 15+ games

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 02:13 PM
glenbuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Give me your 1st in a strong draft and I'll send my small, 3rd pairing blueliner and a pair of lower picks.
Yeah i never really believed for a moment that that would fly. sorry

Old
12-26-2012, 11:20 AM
nickschultzfan

Like Plekanec as a player, but don't see a point in trading for him. Koivu, Granlund, Brodziak, Cullen is a good group of centers. Granlund might not be a good as Pleks is now, but give him a season or two and he'll be close.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 05:34 PM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Like Plekanec as a player, but don't see a point in trading for him. Koivu, Granlund, Brodziak, Cullen is a good group of centers. Granlund might not be a good as Pleks is now, but give him a season or two and he'll be close.
Is Grandlund a very strong two way player? I honestly don't know, but offensively, I think it's no question he'll be better. How much? Don't know.

We Habs fans would probably rather not trade him to you for anything short of an overpayment. He's a great leader for us and is so dependable, rarely missing games.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:18 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Is Grandlund a very strong two way player? I honestly don't know, but offensively, I think it's no question he'll be better. How much? Don't know.

We Habs fans would probably rather not trade him to you for anything short of an overpayment. He's a great leader for us and is so dependable, rarely missing games.
No Wild fan wanted Plekanec in the first place. A Wild fan didn't make this proposal.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote