HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Players you'll forever like or dislike because of their lockout "activity"

Old
12-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Lux Aurumque*

vCash: 500
Lost any respect I ever had for Ron Hainsey, Alexander Ovechkin, Erik Cole, Scotty Upshall, etc

Gained a ton of respect for Roman Hamrlik and Michael Neuvirth. Same goes for Recchi and the other retired guys who have said "just play".

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
Nothing anyone does or says during this lockout changes my opinion of them. I don't know any of them personally and my only tie to them is the entertainment they provide once they take to the ice. I'm not looking for role models or heroes to worship just to be entertained by the best hockey in the world.
Yes. Thank you. I can't imagine Hawks fans not cheering when Toews scores a goal. It just won't happen.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Forgot PK Subban as a player I've come to really respect.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 07:14 PM
davebenj

What was Cole saying since I wasn't really paying attention. He does come across as an asshat so I'm not surprised but I didn't hear what was said.

davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 07:15 PM
hyster110

im not petty enough to hate people for fighting for a fair bargaining agreement

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 07:17 PM
Wingsfan2965*

For a guy that I respected a lot before the lockout, Toews should've kept his mouth shut.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Ari91

These guys are fighting for their own careers and whether we agree with their comments/strategies and whether we feel inconvenienced by their unwillingness to just sign a deal now and play hockey, it doesn't take away their right to do what they feel they need to do. I'm more inclined to walk away with a greater amount of respect for the way a player has handled himself in this situation than I am to walk away feeling disgusting and unable to like a player based on how he's acted during this process. We're all human and we say and do stupid things - these guys are no exception. It's easy to be the outsider judging the people involved when we the situation has nothing to do with our financial investments and livelihoods. If you're emotionally invested in the situation to the point where it's making you dislike players, then maybe you should take a break from CBA discussions - not like anything new is happening anyway.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Banana Sandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon4679 View Post
Because it was a selfish comment he is at the end of his career and he doesn't care about the deal the rest of the players get
Grrrrrrr...I hate players who want to get on the ice as soon as possible and will take the next deal!

Banana Sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 07:34 PM
Shanahanigans

Dave Perron...The kid is so annoying on Twitter. He's barely 23, and he literally has no idea what he's talking about. He comes off as very stupid. Guys like Westgarth or Penner seem to know what they're talking about and defend their side in a proper way, even if I do disagree with them. Perron sounds like a total idiot.

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 07:54 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrpassion View Post
Yeah everyone will "dislike" these players until they make a big hit, slick pass, or beautiful snipe.
I guess I can keep on disliking Hainsey since I've never seen him do any of the above.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
Dave Perron...The kid is so annoying on Twitter. He's barely 23, and he literally has no idea what he's talking about. He comes off as very stupid. Guys like Westgarth or Penner seem to know what they're talking about and defend their side in a proper way, even if I do disagree with them. Perron sounds like a total idiot.
I was more fond of Joe Morrow making Twitter comments about how much Bettman sucks and he's not even in the league yet.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 08:31 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagne Come Back View Post
Evander Kane.
Co-signed. His twitter has been annoying.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Rydgar

I've definitely gained respect for Jagr and PK Subban

Rydgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choralone View Post
How dare players, with potentially millions of dollars of personal income at stake, be emotionally invested in the process? If they would just roll over for the owners I could be watching hockey right now!

HF Posters
throughout the world there are millions of workers who are fighting for better treatment and liveable pay. When you start seeing players earning more in a year than 99% of the world would see in 3 lifetimes complaining that their Ferraris won't pay for themselves you get sickened.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 09:14 PM
BrickAHL
No Scrubs

P.A. Parenteau

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 09:41 PM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

Doan had been great through this whole thing. Never thought I could respect him more than I did before, but it happened.

O23L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 10:09 PM
Krnuckfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Baloney.

If the NHL was serious about all teams being profitable, they'd institute more profit-sharing than the current 6 percent (or whatever ridiculous amount it is). And they'd move that giant sucking black hole out of Arizona.

It's simple, as some have already pointed out in this thread. Professional hockey players make good money (as they should, being the world's most highly skilled at a desirable profession), and a significant number of HF posters envy them. Typical HF boards poster says "I love hockey so much, I'd play for (100 bucks per week/minimum wage/free). Those guys don't know how lucky they are."

Hockey players know they make a lot of money. They also know that owners would pay them as little as possible and treat them like absolute dirt if they didn't have a union and a strong CBA (read up on the history of pro sports sometime). They also, starting from the time they first put on skates, work their behinds off for that money. Sure, it's fun, but that doesn't mean it's easy.

The owners don't care about the players, and they sure as hell don't care about the fans. They care about making money. I can't understand how any fan can be delusional enough to believe anything else.

And if anyone forever dislikes a player because he's taking a stand for what he thinks is right, I don't know what to tell you.
Swap around owners and players in that paragraph and you'd be speaking the truth as well. At least the owners aren't pretending that they aren't greedy like the players are.

Krnuckfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 12:48 AM
TheStroker

vCash: 3
Kimmo Timonen
Bob Gainey
Todd Bertuzzi
Kris Letang

They need to keep their trap shut.

TheStroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 01:08 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krnuckfan View Post
Swap around owners and players in that paragraph and you'd be speaking the truth as well. At least the owners aren't pretending that they aren't greedy like the players are.
I think some (for some wacky reason) can't comprehend the owners of a sports team being a businessman. Businessmen WANT to make money, and tons of it. They will do whatever it takes to make it. If you don't want to make as much money as possible, while sometimes pissing people off, offending them, and stepping on people's heads to get it... Well then you may not be a very good businessman. I have no delusions about owners of businesses. And I say all the more power to them. If someone sells a product, and there are those that will buy it, you charge or get as much as possible. Economics.

Your everyday life is greatly affected by this. If you don't like businessmen that do this, move to Mars. If you don't like owners of sports teams doing this, you should stop liking sports.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 01:09 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krnuckfan View Post
At least the owners aren't pretending that they aren't greedy like the players are.
I hate the whole "big corporations suck, stick it to the man!" mindset that pop politics has these days.

If I were one of the owners, I'd be going after as much money as possible. I think almost anyone would. Why should we hold them to a different standard?

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 01:19 AM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

PK Subban, much respect.

No player turned the lockout to a positive more than him. He has marketed himself and placed himself in a position to succeed outside of hockey.

I have to respect that, obviously smart dude and seems like someone who would be great to go out with beers with.

Mind you, I hate some of the crap he pulls on ice (like diving)... I will admit he is like Marchand, in that if he played for my team I would love him, he plays against so I hate him... respect the skills and respect the man though.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 01:28 AM
sunnyvale420

[QUOTE=Crede777;56754727]I hate the whole "big corporations suck, stick it to the man!" mindset that pop politics has these days.

If I were one of the owners, I'd be going after as much money as possible. I think almost anyone would. Why should we hold them to a different standard?[/]

Maybe because the NHL is a micro version of what is wrong with society. You have an old boys club who runs everything from a get money now, worry about things later mentality. Arena public funding to tax breaks and sleazy unfullfilled development.

Oh and by the way it's not "pop culture", some people just ask more questions.

sunnyvale420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 02:56 AM
Abraham85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
I think some (for some wacky reason) can't comprehend the owners of a sports team being a businessman. Businessmen WANT to make money, and tons of it. They will do whatever it takes to make it. If you don't want to make as much money as possible, while sometimes pissing people off, offending them, and stepping on people's heads to get it... Well then you may not be a very good businessman. I have no delusions about owners of businesses. And I say all the more power to them. If someone sells a product, and there are those that will buy it, you charge or get as much as possible. Economics.

Your everyday life is greatly affected by this. If you don't like businessmen that do this, move to Mars. If you don't like owners of sports teams doing this, you should stop liking sports.
You might as well say that the players themselves are sellling a product (their participation on any given team) and they try to charge as much as possible for it. Why do you give the owners a leeway to be as greedy as they can yet call the players out when they want a slice of the pie?

Last edited by slocal: 12-23-2012 at 03:57 AM. Reason: easy there...
Abraham85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 08:52 AM
Ceff Jarter
Registered Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I hate the whole "big corporations suck, stick it to the man!" mindset that pop politics has these days.

If I were one of the owners, I'd be going after as much money as possible. I think almost anyone would. Why should we hold them to a different standard?
+1. Pro business

RJ Umberger. all he does is retweet Allan Walsh

Ceff Jarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 09:16 AM
Izzy
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by beached whaler View Post
+1. Pro business

RJ Umberger. all he does is retweet Allan Walsh