HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Exhibition • Dec. 22 • Canada 2, Sweden 1 (SO) • Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2012, 10:03 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
Really disapointed with Morgan Reilly so far. He was Canada's worst defender today. Just handled the puck like a live grenade.
Dougie Hamilton was arguably worse...

Old
12-22-2012, 10:07 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Dougie Hamilton was arguably worse...
Coupled with all the dumb penalties too.

He's looked like the worst, imo.

If the IIHF takes previous suspensions at IIHF stanctioned events, then he's gone for the tournament I'd say.

Old
12-23-2012, 12:16 AM
Montecristo

I'm not worried about hamilton. he's leading the OHL in scoring for defensemen and is coming off CHL defensemen of the year. He's had a couple bad games, but his junior career isn't a big fluke. he'll figure it out by game one and be a dynamic force for Canada throughout the tourny.

Old
12-23-2012, 12:47 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 1000
To be honest, I haven't been too impressed with a lot of the supposed top six forwards for Canada so far. Hopefully it's just the exhibition/pre-tournament kinks, but the offense doesn't look as potent as it was supposed to be.

Old
12-23-2012, 12:51 AM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 367
Anyone know what the face off stats were?

Old
12-23-2012, 01:00 AM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecristo View Post
I'm not worried about hamilton. he's leading the OHL in scoring for defensemen and is coming off CHL defensemen of the year. He's had a couple bad games, but his junior career isn't a big fluke. he'll figure it out by game one and be a dynamic force for Canada throughout the tourny.
This is a different environment than the OHL. These are the absolute best junior players taken from all leagues and competing against each other.

Not saying it means that much either this tourney or last one but I think we are beginning to see a crack in his armor.

Old
12-23-2012, 01:02 AM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

I woulndt go as far as saying that dougie was the worst d... he didnt play great, but his average play is a lot better than other d mens average play if that makes sense

Old
12-23-2012, 01:03 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killahpunk View Post
Anyone know what the face off stats were?
http://sjl01.lahtis-enterprises.com/...ON=2013&SHOW=5

Old
12-23-2012, 01:06 AM
DuklaNation

Saw the replay. Did anyone else find this game to be really boring? Not liking this finesse lineup Canada has at all.

Old
12-23-2012, 01:28 AM
Ribban

I coach down in the States, and, much like Hockey Canada, USA Hockey is talking to some great extent about "respect for the opponent." In other words, just because I can send this guy into next week, it doesn't mean I will or should. We keep stressing that the reason for checking is to seperate the player from the puck, etc. A little later in life, we start telling people that they need to finish their checks, for among other reasons, safety, as well as keep your head up and expect to get hit - don't dodge for example.

Now, please understand that I consider Jenner being a kid, so I sort of get why he is making a really bad choice, and if he truly had a chance to replay the situation, he might have made a much different decision. Either way, he is on the team to bring energy and be tough to play against. The performance in this tourney might impact his future NHL career. He is juiced to represent his nation. He enjoys being physical and bring the heat whenver he can. We can go on, but yes, I think we all get him. He made one ****** choice, and if nothing else, it cost another kid something he has worked his entire life for with similar hopes and dreams to Jenner.

So what's the problem? The hit was clean? Pettersson should pay attention? His history is spearing and hitting a kid with his head down, but also getting elbowed to the head.

It comes down to this: The conversation we keep having is HAVING RESPECT FOR OUR OPPONENTS. Just becasue somebody has his head down and you can lay him out, doesn't mean you should. As a matter of fact, it's especially then that you shouldn't.

Anybody who played hockey here knows that Jenner knows this will be a very late hit. That's not something he realizes the moment the puck comes off Pettersson's stick. He knows where he is when he sees Pettersson starting to pass the puck. He knows exactly what he is doing, and what will happen as Pettersson ISN'T paying attention, but hey, hitting someone feels great... "He has no idea that I'm coming!", "This will be AWESOME!", "I'VE GOT YOU NOW, SUCKER!", BOOM ... you all know the feeling.

That is also what we are working so hard to get rid of in hockey.

So, it's beyond frustrating to see some of you guys, and listen to some of the TSN suits, start out with, "It's a clean hit..." or "It doesn't deserve a long suspension..." or even "The IIHF will punish Canada extra hard just becasue..."

Nothing about his hit is okay. It violates the rulebook by being a late hit, no matter how the contact was made. It violates all concepts we are trying to establish for safety about not hurting somebody just beacuse that person is vulnerable, perhaps because he isn't paying attention. It is the second time Jenner is doing it in the IIHF because even though he wasn't late when checking Olli Maata, he still went after a guy who didn't see him when it really wasn't necessary. BECAUSE YOU CAN DOESN'T MAKE IT OKAY.

Those of you sitting at home, being kings of the keyboards can scream all you want about being tough and this and that. But the fact remains, the culture of hockey NEEDS to change. We cannot afford concussions and other injuries to star players and talented prospects because somebody could get to them in moment of vulnerability. Whatever old time hockey you adore, the players are bigger, stronger, and faster now, so the game has to change, and the sooner it happens, the better.

Again, Jenner is being an idiot, but he is a kid, so that's to be expected. The problem is all the people that defend him or justify his action as being a normal part of hockey, as that will make it that much harder for the rest of us to help develop the sport in a direction more suited for the atheltes we have and will have.

A message needs to be sent. Sorry kid. You're thoughtlessness cost Pettersson his gold dream, so now, you lost yours. Learn from this and go have a better game in the NHL. I wish the Pettersson kid a speedy recovery as well.

Old
12-23-2012, 02:04 AM
Canada4Gold

The only thing wrong with it was it was a late. If the guy doesn't get injured that's a 2 minute minor and nothing else. The guy got injured and with that comes a 5 minute major and a game misconduct. That's fine it's in the rules.

But someone shouldn't be suspended on top of that just because the opponent got injured. What he did was dumb, and in most cases it only gets punished with a 2 minute minor, these hits happen regularly, and most cases they're only 2 minutes because nobody gets hurt, you can't suspended Jenner because he was the unlucky guy who threw the hit that injured someone.

There was no bad intent by Jenner, he didn't go after his head, he didn't start a fight, he didn't get his elbow up, he didn't do anything that suspensions are normally handed out for, he just got unlucky because the guy got injured and now he might get suspended. If the swede gets up off his feet and is fine the refs might even not call it a penalty but at most it gets 2 minutes.

That being said this is the IIHF, so he probably gets a game, and theyt probably double it because he had a suspension last year, so I expect him to get 2 games but imo he shouldn't get any

Old
12-23-2012, 02:18 AM
oilWILDcountry

Just saw the hit by Jenner. I don't know what he's thinking, he hit him a full second late. I'm so pissed off at this kid. Last year he just blindsides Maatta and ends his tourney, and this year he's back to his old antics. He needs a lengthy suspension (whole tournament) and get his head screwed on right.

Old
12-23-2012, 02:19 AM
CC321

It looked like Jenner hit him hard enough to knock him down and lifted the kids arms as he was falling so he couldn't brace himself when he landed.

Old
12-23-2012, 02:29 AM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilWILDcountry View Post
Just saw the hit by Jenner. I don't know what he's thinking, he hit him a full second late. I'm so pissed off at this kid. Last year he just blindsides Maatta and ends his tourney, and this year he's back to his old antics. He needs a lengthy suspension (whole tournament) and get his head screwed on right.
With everything I've ever seen from Jenner, other than his spearing incident, he strikes me as absolutely anything but a bad kid/dirty player. He just brings it each and every day, and that's how hockey should be. The hit itself was clean IMO, other than being late. Didn't look like a charge to me.

The result is kind of like it is where I play. Huge hit happens, kid gets hurt: Ref: 'misconduct for hit from behind.' Or, huge hit happens, kid doesn't get hurt, minor at most.

I swear, sometimes refs call penalties based off of the freaking SOUND the hit makes. :

Old
12-23-2012, 02:59 AM
Leehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post
I coach down in the States, and, much like Hockey Canada, USA Hockey is talking to some great extent about "respect for the opponent." In other words, just because I can send this guy into next week, it doesn't mean I will or should. We keep stressing that the reason for checking is to seperate the player from the puck, etc. A little later in life, we start telling people that they need to finish their checks, for among other reasons, safety, as well as keep your head up and expect to get hit - don't dodge for example.

Now, please understand that I consider Jenner being a kid, so I sort of get why he is making a really bad choice, and if he truly had a chance to replay the situation, he might have made a much different decision. Either way, he is on the team to bring energy and be tough to play against. The performance in this tourney might impact his future NHL career. He is juiced to represent his nation. He enjoys being physical and bring the heat whenver he can. We can go on, but yes, I think we all get him. He made one ****** choice, and if nothing else, it cost another kid something he has worked his entire life for with similar hopes and dreams to Jenner.

So what's the problem? The hit was clean? Pettersson should pay attention? His history is spearing and hitting a kid with his head down, but also getting elbowed to the head.

It comes down to this: The conversation we keep having is HAVING RESPECT FOR OUR OPPONENTS. Just becasue somebody has his head down and you can lay him out, doesn't mean you should. As a matter of fact, it's especially then that you shouldn't.

Anybody who played hockey here knows that Jenner knows this will be a very late hit. That's not something he realizes the moment the puck comes off Pettersson's stick. He knows where he is when he sees Pettersson starting to pass the puck. He knows exactly what he is doing, and what will happen as Pettersson ISN'T paying attention, but hey, hitting someone feels great... "He has no idea that I'm coming!", "This will be AWESOME!", "I'VE GOT YOU NOW, SUCKER!", BOOM ... you all know the feeling.

That is also what we are working so hard to get rid of in hockey.

So, it's beyond frustrating to see some of you guys, and listen to some of the TSN suits, start out with, "It's a clean hit..." or "It doesn't deserve a long suspension..." or even "The IIHF will punish Canada extra hard just becasue..."

Nothing about his hit is okay. It violates the rulebook by being a late hit, no matter how the contact was made. It violates all concepts we are trying to establish for safety about not hurting somebody just beacuse that person is vulnerable, perhaps because he isn't paying attention. It is the second time Jenner is doing it in the IIHF because even though he wasn't late when checking Olli Maata, he still went after a guy who didn't see him when it really wasn't necessary. BECAUSE YOU CAN DOESN'T MAKE IT OKAY.

Those of you sitting at home, being kings of the keyboards can scream all you want about being tough and this and that. But the fact remains, the culture of hockey NEEDS to change. We cannot afford concussions and other injuries to star players and talented prospects because somebody could get to them in moment of vulnerability. Whatever old time hockey you adore, the players are bigger, stronger, and faster now, so the game has to change, and the sooner it happens, the better.

Again, Jenner is being an idiot, but he is a kid, so that's to be expected. The problem is all the people that defend him or justify his action as being a normal part of hockey, as that will make it that much harder for the rest of us to help develop the sport in a direction more suited for the atheltes we have and will have.

A message needs to be sent. Sorry kid. You're thoughtlessness cost Pettersson his gold dream, so now, you lost yours. Learn from this and go have a better game in the NHL. I wish the Pettersson kid a speedy recovery as well.
Well, the fact is that swedish coach didn't do his homework and Petterson was the one who had to pay from that(too bad for him, i like his game and would've wanted to see more of him). He should've made sure that the players know who Jenner is and made sure that they would be aware of the fact that he will hit hard and dirty if he just gets the chance.

I''ve been hit dirty just only once and after that i learned to look who is on ice (do i have to be cautious out there because of dirty headhunters, or can i play more run and gun style of hockey), i'm still playing hockey btw.

Old
12-23-2012, 03:01 AM
hirawl
Used Register

C'mon people. The hit that late is always a deliberate act of intentionally trying to injure people. No one has the spatial awareness to read that kind of lateness. Nor should one. It has to be stripped from the game.

Anybody putting any blame on the receiving end is just not thinking straight.

Old
12-23-2012, 03:04 AM
Leehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirawl View Post
C'mon people. The hit that late is always a deliberate act of intentionally trying to injure people. No one has the spatial awareness to read that kind of lateness. Nor should one. It has to be stripped from the game.

Anybody putting any blame on the receiving end is just not thinking straight.
I'm blaming swedish coach and Jenner, slightly more Jenner.

Old
12-23-2012, 03:13 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post
Well, the fact is that swedish coach didn't do his homework and Petterson was the one who had to pay from that(too bad for him, i like his game and would've wanted to see more of him). He should've made sure that the players know who Jenner is and made sure that they would be aware of the fact that he will hit hard and dirty if he just gets the chance.

I''ve been hit dirty just only once and after that i learned to look who is on ice (do i have to be cautious out there because of dirty headhunters, or can i play more run and gun style of hockey), i'm still playing hockey btw.
Glad to hear that you're still playing, Leehh! I hope you enjoy every second of it. When we're young, it's easy to take such blessings for granted.

As for the Jenner check, I can't agree with you thinking that it is Coach Ronnberg's fault. It very well might have been an oversight on his part, and undisputedly Pettersson was NOT paying attention. But, either way, Jenner MADE the choise of going after Pettersson, knowing it was going to be a late hit, and seeing that Pettersson wasn't paying attention, as the puck was long gone. No matter what, Jenner is the only person responsible for his choises, and as such he has to suffer the consequences.

If a Swedish player proceeded to decapitate RNH as payback for the hit on Pettersson, I don't think too many people would blame Jenner for that. :-)

Old
12-23-2012, 03:16 AM
Canada4Gold

Jenner is definately at fault.

The hit wasn't as late as some people think, it's a second, yes that is late, but it's not like he ran over him 3 seconds after he passed the puck. No Jenner wasn't trying to deliberatly injure him, he probably just got caught up in thinking he was gonna lay a good clean body check and for a moment didn't concentrate on the fact that the puck was already gone, I'm sure Jenner feels bad that he ended the tournament for the other player but it wasn't dirty at all besides for tyhe fact that it was late, and those his happen all the time, we shouldn't be going after Jenners throat because this time it resulted in an injury

Old
12-23-2012, 03:20 AM
Leehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post
If a Swedish player proceeded to decapitate RNH as payback for the hit on Pettersson, I don't think too many people would blame Jenner for that. :-)
Everyone who has/is playing hockey would for sure

Old
12-23-2012, 03:21 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada4Gold View Post
Jenner is definately at fault.

The hit wasn't as late as some people think, it's a second, yes that is late, but it's not like he ran over him 3 seconds after he passed the puck. No Jenner wasn't trying to deliberatly injure him, he probably just got caught up in thinking he was gonna lay a good clean body check and for a moment didn't concentrate on the fact that the puck was already gone, I'm sure Jenner feels bad that he ended the tournament for the other player but it wasn't dirty at all besides for tyhe fact that it was late, and those his happen all the time, we shouldn't be going after Jenners throat because this time it resulted in an injury
I agree with all of that, but think it is important to hand out a suspension to draw a line in the sand for any possible future situaitons, involving other players in slight different but similar enough circumstances.

Old
12-23-2012, 03:22 AM
RorschachWJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Canadian fan here. Jenner should be suspended for multiple games.

Just where over the years did these horribly late hits and suggestions that a player who should have no thought of being hit should keep his head up become normal and okay? You make the pass, the opposing player is several strides away from you, you legitimately do not expect to get freakin hammered.

Fug these late hits, zero excuse for mashing a player if you are just too late to get a clean hit in. He busted the guy up on a cheap hit and he should pay the price.
Agreed. He should be out of the tourney.

Old
12-23-2012, 03:29 AM
JAS 39 Gripen

It was a training game ffs! You could see it all game that the canadian players didnt get that, with the late hit on Lindholm and crosscheck and more. Theres just something wrong with the mentaly of some of your players. Its not the first time we see this either. This brings back memories of the pree tourny game where Cormier elbowed Rödin, and when DPS (i think) crushed Åberg so hard that he got injured aswell. Its like when Canada gets outplayed, they resort to violence and backs it up with their ******** "Its OUR game" and "Welcome to the OC, *****"-mentality they got from watching coached corner and more and learning how to be a 'good ol canadian boooy'. Like your 'great' 72 summit series, where Canada was allowed to destroy the Soviets when they coulnd keep up, just like with the US team in Salt Lake in 1980.

If Jenner dosnt have an IQ of 30-40 something, he knows that Pettersson will get injuried from that late hit, but why should he care, hes just doing what others have done for years, and will get a pat on the back on the bench.

Suspend him from the tourny. He took away Petterssons dreams, and its not the first time he does something stupid, so send him home

The fact that so many of you defend him kind of proves my point

Old
12-23-2012, 03:30 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post
Everyone who has/is playing hockey would for sure

Not laughing at what you're saying but rather the thought of RNH just getting injured so badly that he's out of the tourney. Coach is scratching his head, hanging out with the assistants, trying to figure out how to juggle the lines, and all of a sudden the trainer emerges from the locker room... "Euhm, guys... It just got worse. Now Jenner had his a$$ kicked by RNH linemates and is also out.

Old
12-23-2012, 03:32 AM
hirawl
Used Register

If people are supposed to prepare themselves to get run over more than a second after they get rid of the puck, that's your game down the toilet right there. That's ruining the contact part in the contact sport.

Closed Thread